Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

mars bar wrote: »
    3 players made it on the big stage from that list. Pity we couldn't have held on to Pique.

Here's hoping I get luckier than PHB! :D

I wouldn't mind Giuseppe Rossi at United to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Pique, Rooney and Ronaldo? None of them were products of the academy, though... :)

None of the big English academies are producing players like they used to. Dunno if that's down to the 90 minute rule, lack of investment or an increase in foreign players, but I reckon it will be a long time before we see another "golden generation" emerge from an English academy.

90 minute rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Rooney you made a very bad decision leaving utd.

why is he making a bad decision? he'll probably double his salary and he'll win lots of trophies where ever he goes. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fuhrer wrote: »
    90 minute rule?

Clubs can't sign English kids who live more than 90 minutes away from the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

mars bar wrote: »
    3 players made it on the big stage from that list. Pity we couldn't have held on to Pique.

Here's hoping I get luckier than PHB! :D
    The two that made it at Utd didn't come through the youth system.
    They were bought for megabucks.

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    why is he making a bad decision? he'll probably double his salary and he'll win lots of trophies where ever he goes. :confused:

Why are you,a Spurs fan, getting a dig into United whenever there's even a tiny opportunity on this thread?
    Jealous that Berba moved to a big club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

As I said on the United forum, I'm not hitting the panic button. If we tidy up the mistakes, we're still a force to be reckoned with. We've no issue scoring goals (level with Arsenal, and ahead of city in goals scored), and we have, on our day, the best defence in the league (it needs to get back to that level though).

Of course, I wish the Glazers would fcuk off and I wish we could compete for a few big names. But it's not as bad as some people wish it was.

if Rooney wants to go, let him. We'll miss him, but I'm in no doubt, he'll miss united at least as much!

baz2009 wrote: »
    Why are you,a Spurs fan, getting a dig into United whenever there's even a tiny opportunity on this thread?
    Jealous that Berba moved to a big club?

genuinly not digging , but i dont understand why people think its a bad decision , seeing as you mentioned it baz , berba probably now realises he should never have left the lane:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PHB, 2005
    Just so I am very clear, I think the following players will make it into the United regular team, and deservedly so.

Bardesly
    McShane
    Pique
    Spector
    David Jones
    Ronaldo
    Rossi
    Rooney

United are producing another golden generation
    =

Ronaldo and Rooney, golden generation :) Pique also top class. Still think Rossi will make it to the next level. Spector, McShane and Bardsley were all way off, although they are all PL footballers :)

David Jones will always be the greatest disappointment to come out of the youth academy. Still think he'll end up at a top club eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Odds shortened on Wayne rooney's next club. 4/7 Bada Bing and 1/2 Stringfellows.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    As I said on the United forum, I'm not hitting the panic button. If we tidy up the mistakes, we're still a force to be reckoned with. We've no issue scoring goals (level with Arsenal, and ahead of city in goals scored), and we have, on our day, the best defence in the league (it needs to get back to that level though).

Of course, I wish the Glazers would fcuk off and I wish we could compete for a few big names. But it's not as bad as some people wish it was.

if Rooney wants to go, let him. We'll miss him, but I'm in no doubt, he'll miss united at least as much!
    2 top defenders.
    1 very good winger.
    2 excellent midfielders who cannot play more than 70% of the games and only 70 odd minutes of each game. Soon to be retired.
    Hit and miss strikers.

No money.

I don't see it as rosy as you do.

berba probably now realises he should never have left the lane:D

Tongue firmly in cheek !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

genuinly not digging , but i dont understand why people think its a bad decision , seeing as you mentioned it baz , berba probably now realises he should never have left the lane:D

i agree,timing probably couldn't be better,a lot of players on their way out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PHB wrote: »
    Ronaldo and Rooney, golden generation :) Pique also top class. Still think Rossi will make it to the next level. Spector, McShane and Bardsley were all way off, although they are all PL footballers :)

Mc Shane is no longer a Premiership player and in most likelihood never will again.He will find his level at non league.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PHB wrote: »
    Yeah I do, you have absolutely no ****ing idea what you're talking about. You have utterly mis-analysed the problems and the potential problems facing United and the fact that you think that going bust is the issue shows that you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Loads of people have talked about:
    • a massively reduced transfer spend
    • massively increased ticket prices
    • a Football Club run like its only purpose is to bloody give cash to its owners

Every since the takeover people in the we are ****ed brigage having been saying that transfer spend will be down, that ticket prices will go up, and guess what ...

We sold the best player in the world for 80 million euro. World record transfer fee. It wasn't re-invested into the squad, why because Fergie said that there is no value or not players who can improve our team. Who the **** believes that?
    We've had massive interests in ticket prices.
    We've had the Glazers pay themselves massive fees for their own profit, all the while raping the business which is sustaining them.

So where are we?
    • We are now in 3rd place in the league after 8 games, already 5 points behind Chelsea and behind the ****ing bitters.
    • We have just been told that we are losing who nearly everybody will agree is our best player in the squad, even if his form this season hasn't matched it.
    • We lost the best player in the world to Real Madrid 2 years ago, the first time in over a decade that we have had to sell a player who we desperately wanted to keep.
    • Ticket prices have increased every single year, and now the stadium is filled with ****ers who leave 5 minutes early to beat the traffic.
    • A huge bunch of people who have followed United since they were bloody 5 now support a different club.
    • he owners have no reasonable way to pay off the PIKs, so until they accept this or magically re-finance in this absolutely stellar economic climate our low net spend and increased ticket prices are going to remain.

So what can we look forward to? The best thing that could happen to United's on the pitch performances in the next 5 years without any doubt is new owners. For this season and the next?

I'm hoping beyond hope, that Ferguson the football manager, of whom I have the greatest respect for, can somehow pull something magical out of the bag.

I'm hoping that Anderson, Hargreaves, Evans, Rafael, Fabio, Hernandez and Cleverly all become top class players and stay fit.

I'm hoping that Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, Nani and Berbatov don't begin to question whether United who have just sold their two best players to pay off their debts is really the best place for them.

I'm hoping that when Fergie retires, that we still have the gravitas to attract somebody like Mourinho who can really do justice as the next United manager after Fergie.

Because if these things don't happen, we're going to be going into a bloody long-term decline, and even when we get rid of these ****ing owners, it's not going to be easy to climb back up.

So please, take you ****ing head out of the sand, and lose you're know it all attitude despite the fact that every single post you write shows you're utter lack of understanding of anything. If you want to post utter drivel in support of United no matter what, go to redcafe, that's what its there for. On this forum, we talk about the real world.

BAM!

yesh.gif

That is how you cut someone's drivel open to expose it for what it is. Well played sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

add a poll n where will Rooney end up playing someone.
    and stick Blackpool in the mix for the sheeeeets and giggles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

papagormo wrote: »
    add a poll n where will Rooney end up playing someone.
    and stick Blackpool in the mix for the sheeeeets and giggles.

man city of course.. been talking to them behind people backs ?

2 top defenders.
    1 very good winger.
    2 excellent midfielders who cannot play more than 70% of the games and only 70 odd minutes of each game. Soon to be retired.
    Hit and miss strikers.
    No money.

I don't see it as rosy as you do.

Hate that. I'm relatively at peace with it.

I'll reiterate for the sake of the bit in bold ... only 1 team has more goals scored than us.

The rest (with the exception of the financial problems) I believe can be fixed fairly easily. But even that's not as bad as you'd like to believe. Players will be bought in the next 12 months.

But this if this is a decline, I'll take it. fourth place? Liverpool are rooted in the relegation zone. If we slip further, i'll reassess things. But i don't think that'll happen.

To paraphrase your good self: I don't see it as gloomy as you do.

heavyballs wrote: »
    i agree,timing probably couldn't be better,a lot of players on their way out

Name another in the last 12 months?

Name another in the last 12 months?

probably giggs scholes neville in the next 12 months though!

• Advertisement

probably giggs scholes neville in the next 12 months though!

Don't worry, when i want a speculative answer to a question I didn't ask, i'll be sure to come a-knocking.

Hate that. I'm relatively at peace with it.

I'll reiterate for the sake of the bit in bold ... only 1 team has more goals scored than us.

The rest (with the exception of the financial problems) I believe can be fixed fairly easily. But even that's not as bad as you'd like to believe. Players will be bought in the next 12 months.

But this if this is a decline, I'll take it. fourth place? Liverpool are rooted in the relegation zone. If we slip further, i'll reassess things. But i don't think that'll happen.

Great. they've had a couple of good games against the dross of the league.

I'm sure he has a load of scouts heading to the homeless world cup. Where will the money come from for quality signings - which is what is needed.

It is a decline. Man Utd haven't played a top team yet either. Certainly none of the teams they'll be challenging for second.

I accept that things can change (for the better), but I don't see how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    BAM!

That is how you cut someone's drivel open to expose it for what it is. Well played sir.

It's bull**** most of which has already been proved so, It's not really worth disecting but....

Ticket Prices FFS Fans moaning about paying the market price for their Tickets and complaining at a lack of funding in teh same breath are clueless about the economics of business IMHO.

What were they to do with Ronaldo Lock him up at OT? he wanted to go for mega buck deals there was nothing United could do about It, Rooney will be the same. P

OMG :eek: we're third just over two months into the season, It's a catastrophy isn't it

A football club run like a business, Shock

What's these massive fees glazers have paid themselves?

Still on about the Pik's ignoring the fact they are not secured against the Club.

Its the same scaremongering crap that has been going on for the past year but on the plus side it's only a minorty of fans that believe it, Anyone that has taken the time to look at the complete picture know the picture is nowhere near as bleak .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i've been away since this story broke really.

only a couple of things to say.

1) it's becoming increasingly apparent that Rooney is merely a typical, stereotypical greedy modern footballer. i shouldn't be at all surprised, but i'm honestly disappointed in him, and we'll know for sure what he's all about if he goes to City.

2) anyone now going down the 'ah, he wasn't that good anyway' line needs to get real. this is a huge blow to Utd, like it or not.

3) Fergie, as much i don't like admitting it, handled the press conference absolutely brilliantly, and managed to talk about the club in a great light, and put it, quite blatantly, as the most important thing in all of this, no matter how good the 'boy' is.

Utd will live another day. you ain't mid-table yet, and as long as Fergie is there, there's little-no chance of that happening. but i think PHB said it first; at no other time in recent memory have you needed some of that much lauded Fergie magic to rub off on the squad than now. if he manages to keep it all together, it'll be an almighty feat.

in the twilight of his career; Fergie is going to have to be at his absolute best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

No away wins, and 5 points less than this time less year isn't a huge red flag to you?

FWIW, barring another disaster, I still think United will finish 4th this year.

Great. they've had a couple of good games against the dross of the league.

I'm sure he has a load of scouts heading to the homeless world cup. Where will the money come from for quality signings - which is what is needed.

It is a decline. Man Utd haven't played a top team yet either. Certainly none of the teams they'll be challenging for second.

I accept that things can change (for the better), but I don't see how.

I'm on the cusp of not responding here, because tbh the comment in bold is an example of the sort of med-up sh!te you're using to try and back yourself up. No united player has played in the homeless world cup -- the last guy they signed was with a Portuguese 1st division side.

But I'll freely accept that we're in a decline, and I may look back on 4th place as a highlight of the next few years. but there is money. united's earnings are unparalleled in England, and simply pouring all that money back into the debt without investing in the squad, is like filling a bucket with a hole in it. That's very basic business, and a lot of big companies run on debt.

And hey, if the worst comes to the worst, it will at least lead to the removal of the Glazers. And then we get to start from scratch ... with our massive earnings.

I'm on the cusp of not responding here, because tbh the comment in bold is an example of the sort of med-up sh!te you're using to try and back yourself up. No united player has played in the homeless world cup -- the last guy they signed was with a Portuguese 1st division side.

But I'll freely accept that we're in a decline, and I may look back on 4th place as a highlight of the next few years. but there is money. united's earnings are unparalleled in England, and simply pouring all that money back into the debt without investing in the squad, is like filling a bucket with a hole in it. That's very basic business, and a lot of big companies run on debt.

And hey, if the worst comes to the worst, it will at least lead to the removal of the Glazers. And then we get to start from scratch ... with our massive earnings.

I think Bebe did actually play in the Homeless WC and that's where his first semi-pro team scouted him.:o

and I may look back on 4th place as a highlight of the next few years.

if rooney does go , i wouldnt bank on that 4th spot as a guarantee tbh.

I think Bebe did actually play in the Homeless WC and that's where his first semi-pro team scouted him.:o

Nope. Just a rumour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Man Utd haven't played a top team yet either.

What about Liverp.... oh, wait. No. You're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SlickRic wrote: »
    i've been away since this story broke really.

only a couple of things to say.

1) it's becoming increasingly apparent that Rooney is merely a typical, stereotypical greedy modern footballer. i shouldn't be at all surprised, but i'm honestly disappointed in him, and we'll know for sure what he's all about if he goes to City.

2) anyone now going down the 'ah, he wasn't that good anyway' line needs to get real. this is a huge blow to Utd, like it or not.

3) Fergie, as much i don't like admitting it, handled the press conference absolutely brilliantly, and managed to talk about the club in a great light, and put it, quite blatantly, as the most important thing in all of this, no matter how good the 'boy' is.

Utd will live another day. you ain't mid-table yet, and as long as Fergie is there, there's little-no chance of that happening. but i think PHB said it first; at no other time in recent memory have you needed some of that much lauded Fergie magic to rub off on the squad. if he manages to keep it all together, it'll be an almighty feat.

in the twilight of his career; Fergie is going to have to be at his absolute best.

Wouldn't be as confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

OPENROAD wrote: »

i hope i'm wrong, believe me :)

United will be grand, and Liverpool will be too, for that matter. Teams that build their reputation and fanbase over 40, 50, 60 years will always float to the top.

There's a Billionaire Boys' Club going on in England at the moment, and it's shaken the dynamics of how football normally works, but in time it'll settle.

Like I said, it seems more non-united fans, than united fans, are hitting the panic button!

Pique, Rooney and Ronaldo? None of them were products of the academy, though... :)

None of the big English academies are producing players like they used to. Dunno if that's down to the 90 minute rule, lack of investment or an increase in foreign players, but I reckon it will be a long time before we see another "golden generation" emerge from an English academy.

*Plays Arsenal card

United will be grand, and Liverpool will be too, for that matter. Teams that build their reputation and fanbase over 40, 50, 60 years will always float to the top.

There's a Billionaire Boys' Club going on in England at the moment, and it's shaken the dynamics of how football normally works, but in time it'll settle.

Like I said, it seems more non-united fans, than united fans, are hitting the panic button!

People Said Ireland plc would be fine ;)

I do take your point regarding how football is working now, but looking at the Utd team, it is not beyond the possibility that they could miss out on CL football in the nxt couple of years, which could cause them trouble, just like I think it will be some time before Liverpool might get back in the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I pitied Ferguson during that interview, something I can say I don't think I've ever even come close to doing before. It was almost cringy, certainly the most vulnerable and open I've seen him in a long time. I'm not sure if it was an act or not, but if it was he certainly got me..

Papa Smut wrote: »
    *Plays Arsenal card

Not a dig, but I'm genuinely interested to know how many of Arsenal's players have come from their youth team? Wilshere & Gibbs are all i can think of. excuse my ignorance.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I pitied Ferguson during that interview, something I can say I don't think I've ever even come close to doing before. It was almost cringy, certainly the most vulnerable and open I've seen him in a long time. I'm not sure if it was an act or not, but if it was he certainly got me..

hmmm, i only saw some of it, and he was very, very open. But he's known about this for a few months, it was a planned speech, and it's possibly the most media savvy man in football.

I think he got you.

Certainly, i think any perceived vulnerability was an illusion. I've seen a lot of interviews with ferguson and i'm yet to see him break down. i'm pretty sure if he needed a shoulder to cry on, he wouldn't turn to the world media.

not many players have come through arsenal academy if truth be told, i can only think of 2 , wilshere and gibbs , 5 years without a trophy says it all tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Nope, that was made up by the media.
    He was not homeless, he was/is an orphan. He lived in the orphanage, not on the streets.

• Advertisement

not many players have come through arsenal academy if truth be told, i can only think of 2 , wilshere and gibbs , 5 years without a trophy says it all tbh

Indeed, would much rather be in Utds current position at this time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Bébe has taken some serious shít since his arrival unfairly.

Indeed, would much rather be in Utds current position at this time ;)

who mentioned united?

who mentioned united?

I did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Muppet wrote: »
    It's bull**** most of which has already been proved so, It's not really worth disecting but....

Ticket Prices FFS Fans moaning about paying the market price for their Tickets and complaining at a lack of funding in teh same breath are clueless about the economics of business IMHO.

What were they to do with Ronaldo Lock him up at OT? he wanted to go for mega buck deals there was nothing United could do about It, Rooney will be the same. P

OMG :eek: we're third just over two months into the season, It's a catastrophy isn't it

A football club run like a business, Shock

What's these massive fees glazers have paid themselves?

Still on about the Pik's ignoring the fact they are not secured against the Club.

Its the same scaremongering crap that has been going on for the past year but on the plus side it's only a minorty of fans that believe it, Anyone that has taken the time to look at the complete picture know the picture is nowhere near as bleak .

You can't keep losing quality players like Ronaldo and Rooney and not replace them properly.

This scenario should ring a bell for you, it really, really should, considering your passing interest in Liverpool. PHB isn't far of the money (or lack of).

One thing is for sure, the party line is definitely not the truth.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Good for him.

I did

don't understand why? when post was about arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

"He probably wants to leave for some reasons, but I believe he belongs to Man Utd, he belongs to Man Utd fans, he belongs to Old Trafford.
    "I believe he is going to stay
    "But if at the end of day Man Utd decides that he is to leave, give me a call."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6454738,00.html

Good man, Jose. As futile as it probably is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Rooney will probably go to Spain or Italy - a good player , but he has a problem ..................

and it is in his pants .

He ain't able to handle the British Media , they follow him everywhere .

He needs to go to a country where he can live in relative obscurity and where he can receive attention to detail without hindrence .

A huge signing-on fee should help him to pay for his extravagant lifestyle .

And he might play the odd football match as well .

No player is ever going to be allowed to become bigger than Manchester United , - This can be verified by many ex MU players .

Its well known that an athlete should always make the back pages of the newspapers .

When athletes are on the front pages its is usually their dowfall

Not a dig, but I'm genuinely interested to know how many of Arsenal's players have come from their youth team? Wilshere & Gibbs are all i can think of. excuse my ignorance.

Wilshire signed at 9 (no chance at having barca DNA then :pac:)
    Fabregas signed at 16
    Traore signed at 16
    Bendtyner signed at 16 (I didn't realise that!)
    Chesney signed at 16
    Walcott signed at 16
    Djourou signed at 16
    Vito Mannone at 17
    Gibbs signed at 17
    Song signed at 18
    Denilson signed at 18
    Ramsey signed at 18
    Vela signed at 18
    Clichy signed at 18

So, That's 7 that signed 16 or younger, 2 aged 17 and 5 aged eighteen.

I didn't go in to the reserves/youth teams either. Out of 27 players in our first team, 14 signed 18 years or younger.

(But if you want some names for the youth.reserve team)
    Lansbury 16
    Jay Emmanuel Thomas, 16
    Mark Randall, 16
    Sunu, 16
    Eastmond, 16
    Sanchez Watt,16
    Shea, 16
    Frimpong, 16
    Henderson, 16

All these players are hotly tipped and should go to make their mark on Arsenal, if not sold to other top tier teams.

I'd say that's fairly indicative of having a successful youth policy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement