Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Rooney will probably go to Spain or Italy - a good player , but he has a problem ..................

and it is in his pants .

He ain't able to handle the British Media , they follow him everywhere .

He needs to go to a country where he can live in relative obscurity and where he can receive attention to detail without hindrence .

A huge signing-on fee should help him to pay for his extravagant lifestyle .

And he might play the odd football match as well .

No player is ever going to be allowed to become bigger than Manchester United , - This can be verified by many ex MU players .

Its well known that an athlete should always make the back pages of the newspapers .

When athletes are on the front pages its is usually their dowfall

He'll be a city player in 6 months. In his head, he already is a city player.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    So, That's 7 that signed 16 or younger, 2 aged 17 and 5 aged eighteen.
    That's not what i asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wilshire signed at 9 (no chance at having barca DNA then :pac:)
    Fabregas signed at 16
    Traore signed at 16
    Bendtyner signed at 16 (I didn't realise that!)
    Chesney signed at 16
    Walcott signed at 16
    Djourou signed at 16
    Vito Mannone at 17
    Gibbs signed at 17
    Song signed at 18
    Denilson signed at 18
    Ramsey signed at 18
    Vela signed at 18
    Clichy signed at 18

I didn't go in to the reserves/youth teams either. Out of 27 players in our first team, 14 signed 18 years or younger.

(But if you want some names for the youth.reserve team)
    Lansbury 16
    Jay Emmanuel Thomas, 16
    Mark Randall, 16
    Sunu, 16
    Eastmond, 16
    Sanchez Watt,16
    Shea, 16
    Frimpong, 16
    Henderson, 16

All these players are hotly tipped and should go to make their mark on Arsenal, if not sold to other top tier teams.

I'd say that's fairly indicative of having a successful youth policy.

Can you give me a list of the youths that didn't make it to the first team. I would imagine it would be quite a large list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Woohoo Muppet is back talking about finances
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Ticket Prices FFS Fans moaning about paying the market price for their Tickets and complaining at a lack of funding in teh same breath are clueless about the economics of business IMHO.

Market price tickets would be fine if the Glazers would keep their promise about net investment in the transfer market. They aren't keeping their promise and, in fact, our net spend is low. I'm open to correction on this.

A football club run like a business, Shock
    In principle it might not be a problem. It all depends on how much money they give to the fans in terms of ticket prices and investment in the team. So far they have been poor on this.
    Still on about the Pik's ignoring the fact they are not secured against the Club.
    Still ignoring the fact that them not being secured against the club isn't important? You do realise that what they are secured against only becomes important if they are defaulted on?

The Glazers are responsible of the PIKs. The Glazers own Manchester United. As I've said to you before, it's a simple link. Trying to deny that the payment for the PIKs is a valid concern for United fans is idiotic. Also, lets not forget that the Glazers themselves restructured Manchester United's finances in such a way so as to allow money made by the club to be moved up to the holding company where the PIKs are.

I imagine you will ignore these arguments as usual.

Cool. I would put anyone under 18 in a youth team. I got that info from the site as when they joined Arsenal. As so many of them say 16, I would hazard that Arsenal only count it from when they sign professional contracts, Like JET who has been at Arsenal since he was 7.

What do you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wilshire signed at 9 (no chance at having barca DNA then :pac:)
    Fabregas signed at 16
    Traore signed at 16
    Bendtyner signed at 16 (I didn't realise that!)
    Chesney signed at 16
    Walcott signed at 16
    Djourou signed at 16
    Vito Mannone at 17
    Gibbs signed at 17
    Song signed at 18
    Denilson signed at 18
    Ramsey signed at 18
    Vela signed at 18
    Clichy signed at 18

I didn't go in to the reserves/youth teams either. Out of 27 players in our first team, 14 signed 18 years or younger.

(But if you want some names for the youth.reserve team)
    Lansbury 16
    Jay Emmanuel Thomas, 16
    Mark Randall, 16
    Sunu, 16
    Eastmond, 16
    Sanchez Watt,16
    Shea, 16
    Frimpong, 16
    Henderson, 16

All these players are hotly tipped and should go to make their mark on Arsenal, if not sold to other top tier teams.

So how many players actually came through the youth team? i dont mean signed at 16, i mean brought to the club at age 14 or younger? And actually learned the game at the club rather then like, say, Fabregas who learned his stuff at Barca then came and put it to great use at Arsenal

You've basically named a list of players arsenal have signed while they were kids. You also changed the terminology from "academy" to "youth policy". I'll admit it's pretty good work by Wenger, but I'll remind you what your original, grotesquely smug "plays Arsenal card" comment was in response to:
    None of the big English academies are producing players like they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

BERBA wrote: »
    don't understand why? when post was about arsenal

Thought it would be pretty obvious but seems that it is not so I will explain.

You made the comment that Arsenal had not won anything for a five year period. We have been unable to compete in the transfer market against the likes of Utd due to the stadium move and also because the club rather than going further into debt paying over the top transfer fees for players have decided to be more prudent and instead have concentrated on developing the youth players that exist at Arsenal.

So while Arsenal may not have won anything for five years, they have built a new stadium, developed a great bunch of young players,it takes time for players to develop, so yes we have not won anything, but we play some of the best football in the league, have a sell out stadium for basically all our home matches, a huge season ticket waiting list, have successfully sold the apartments at the old Highbury despite the economic climate, plans to further develop the area around The Emirates, comfortably paying off our debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

kryogen wrote: »
    So how many players actually came through the youth team? i dont mean signed at 16, i mean brought to the club at age 14 or younger? And actually learned the game at the club rather then like, say, Fabregas who learned his stuff at Barca then came and put it to great use at Arsenal

Bit harsh that, would say Cesc has learnt a great deal at Arsenal, he was hardly the finished product when he arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Thought it would be pretty obvious but seems that it is not so I will explain.

You made the comment that Arsenal had not won anything for a five year period. We have been unable to compete in the transfer market against the likes of Utd due to the stadium move and also because the club rather than going further into debt paying over the top transfer fees for players have decided to be more prudent and instead have concentrated on developing the youth players that exist at Arsenal.

So while Arsenal may not have won anything for five years, they have built a new stadium, developed a great bunch of young players,it takes time for players to develop, so yes we have not won anything, but we play some of the best football in the league, have a sell out stadium for basically all our home matches, a huge season ticket waiting list, have successfully sold the apartments at the old Highbury despite the economic climate, plans to further develop the area around The Emirates, comfortably paying off our debt.

not obvious to me coz i've no interest in utd , im more interested in how modric bale lennon and co get on in the san siro tomorrow night:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

This thread has nothing to do with Arsenal or any other clubs youth policy. Keep it on topic.

What do you want?

I want a simple, concise answer to my original question: how many players have come through the Arsenal academy. We bought rooney aged 18. We bought Ronaldo aged 17. Sure as fcuk we don't get away with calling them a product of our youth system.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Can you give me a list of the youths that didn't make it to the first team. I would imagine it would be quite a large list.

Why? For what reason? I can't find any info on how many would be in taken in in a season. How many would be at Barcelona's famed youth Academy still?

You can only play 11 first teamers anyway! :pac:

Anyway, enough derailing this thread, if you want to start a debate on the success of the top flights youth academies, feel free to start a thread about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

eagle eye wrote: »

Not trying to defend the A*****l in any way, but how could anyone provide such a list from any club throughout the world?

BERBA wrote: »
    not obvious to me coz i've no interest in utd , im more interested in how modric bale lennon and co get on in the san siro tomorrow night:D

in other words, Berbatov is to him what Rooney is to us :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

davyjose wrote: »
    in other words, Berbatov is to him what Rooney is to us :D

and what goes around comes around as regards tapping up imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Bit harsh that, would say Cesc has learnt a great deal at Arsenal, he was hardly the finished product when he arrived.

I accept that, but the question put the the guy was about acadamy players and he listed off a bunch of signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Why? For what reason? I can't find any info on how many would be in taken in in a season. How many would be at Barcelona's famed youth Academy still?

You can only play 11 first teamers anyway! :pac:

Anyway, enough derailing this thread, if you want to start a debate on the success of the top flights youth academies, feel free to start a thread about it.
    THFC wrote: »
    Not trying to defend the A*****l in any way, but how could anyone provide such a list from any club throughout the world?

Seriously lads, as interesting as that debate potentially is, please take it to the Arsenal thread. This is for Rooney and his potential departure from MUFC....

Alright, I'm off to bed. Before I go, another reason I think Rooney might go to City: .... he's used to living in a council house.

:D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

davyjose wrote: »
    He'll be a city player in 6 months. In his head, he already is a city player.

This could all blow over in a few weeks and Rooney will stay .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I can only really see City Madrid Chelsea and Barca able to afford his waged but if he came to spurs we have the manager to turn things around for him if there is one thing Harry can do is rejuvenate a player

I can only really see City Madrid Chelsea and Barca able to afford his waged but if he came to spurs we have the manager to turn things around for him if there is one thing Harry can do is rejuvenate a player

Barca can't afford sh!t, tbh. And Harry's a bigger job-hopper than Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

United, from the best attack in europe (rooney,ronaldo,tevez) to this.

That team was bloody lethal, really sad to see how things have turned out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

nuxxx wrote: »
    United, from the best attack in europe (rooney,ronaldo,tevez) to this.

That team was bloody lethal, really sad to see how things have turned out

Really? let's look at this season league games

Man Utd 3-0 Newcastle
    Fulham 2-2 Man Utd
    Man Utd 3-0 West Ham
    Everton 3-3 Man Utd
    Man Utd 3-2 Liverpool
    Bolton 2-2 Man Utd
    Man Utd 2-2 West Brom

We seem to score a lot of goals in fact it's 18 in 8 games with Rooney getting one out of the 18.....Attack seems alright to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

RasTa wrote: »
    Really? let's look at this season league games

Man Utd 3-0 Newcastle
    Fulham 2-2 Man Utd
    Man Utd 3-0 West Ham
    Everton 3-3 Man Utd
    Man Utd 3-2 Liverpool
    Bolton 2-2 Man Utd
    Man Utd 2-2 West Brom

We seem to score a lot of goals in fact it's 18 in 8 games with Rooney getting one out of the 18.....Attack seems alright to me.

I know facts are facts and all that but surely you can't be confident in the depth of your strikers? Apart from Berbatov, who has been excellent so far, who is good enough now to step up to the plate? I don't think any of Hernandez, Macheda and Owen are on a week to week basis.

Very few big transfers happen in January for various reasons so you're basically stuck with the aforementioned until next summer.

That really won't be good enough to sustain a title challenge imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They could realisticly get Dzeko in January and he'd be my guess of who they might be looking at. Luiz Suarez would also be an option but he'd be cup tied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

SlickRic wrote: »
    i've been away since this story broke really.

only a couple of things to say.

1) it's becoming increasingly apparent that Rooney is merely a typical, stereotypical greedy modern footballer. i shouldn't be at all surprised, but i'm honestly disappointed in him, and we'll know for sure what he's all about if he goes to City.

2) anyone now going down the 'ah, he wasn't that good anyway' line needs to get real. this is a huge blow to Utd, like it or not.

3) Fergie, as much i don't like admitting it, handled the press conference absolutely brilliantly, and managed to talk about the club in a great light, and put it, quite blatantly, as the most important thing in all of this, no matter how good the 'boy' is.

Utd will live another day. you ain't mid-table yet, and as long as Fergie is there, there's little-no chance of that happening. but i think PHB said it first; at no other time in recent memory have you needed some of that much lauded Fergie magic to rub off on the squad than now. if he manages to keep it all together, it'll be an almighty feat.

in the twilight of his career; Fergie is going to have to be at his absolute best.

THis, well said.

Untied fans doing a U-Turn saying Tevez wans't really that good now saying that Rooney isnt that good..... WTF are ye on about! Massive blow to United as there is no heir aparant. If Fergie manages to pull this off it will be his biggest achivement by far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Vanbis wrote: »
    Xavi Alonso had one great season at L'pool, he is hardly world class. He is a passenger at Real and will probably be sold in the summer.

after reading thru 56 pages and this post was the most memorable.
    your a fine judge;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

after reading thru 58 pages and this post was. the most memorable.
    your a fine judge;)

I watched the Real/AC game last night and the man was quality, he was always looking for the ball, not one pass wide of the mark, he got every Real move going and most of his passes were forward. Arbeloa wasn't to shabby at RB although he didn't have much to do. I miss them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

most likely city have tapped him up in the summer, parasites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I hope that was a tongue in cheek comment, united never tapped anyone up? That being said if Rooney does move to city i'll lose the bit of respect i had for him. I'm an oppoistion fan but always admired and respected him, always thought it was for the love of the game. If he goes to city, i'll have no time for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Vanbis wrote: »
    Xavi Alonso had one great season at L'pool, he is hardly world class. He is a passenger at Real and will probably be sold in the summer.
    Worst post ever. Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

K-9 wrote: »
    You can't keep losing quality players like Ronaldo and Rooney and not replace them properly.

This scenario should ring a bell for you, it really, really should, considering your passing interest in Liverpool. PHB isn't far of the money (or lack of).

One thing is for sure, the party line is definitely not the truth.

We havn't lost Rooney and not replaced him have we?

We have replaced Ronaldo, Valencia was his replacement, Nani also plays that positions, they may not be as good as Ronaldo was but tell me WHo is? Who should united have baught to replace Ronaldo?

Financially there is no comparison to be made between United and Liverpool.

I don't know which party line you are on about , It's the club accounts I use to form my opinions unless you think they are lies too, do you? Even the MUST financial advisors have conceded that their earlier murmurings of the danger the club is in is rubbish, so you see the likes of phb who is still spouting that crap two years down the line is talking bull**** and most United fans have seen through their scare mongering lies which is why the green and Gold campaign has died a death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Funny post. If there was a world championship for tapping up players United over the last 20 years would be the champs. Funny how another club comes along with more money than United and all of a sudden what they are doing is wrong.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mister men wrote: »
    Funny post. If there was a world championship for tapping up players United over the last 20 years would be the champs. Funny how another club comes along with more money than United and all of a sudden what they are doing is wrong.:rolleyes:

Would they, AFAIK Liverpool and Chelsea are the only premier league teams to have been found guilty of tapping players , perhaps you'll link us to united being caught at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

jank wrote: »
    THis, well said.

Untied fans doing a U-Turn saying Tevez wans't really that good now saying that Rooney isnt that good..... WTF are ye on about! Massive blow to United as there is no heir aparant. If Fergie manages to pull this off it will be his biggest achivement by far

Name all these United fans that are saying Rooney is not that good? He is brilliant, would be an asset to any team in the world full stop. Will be sorely missed but United will replace him and it will be exciting to see the young lads and Owen getting more playing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Mister men wrote: »
    Worst post ever. Fact.

He obviously didn't get to watch the world cup.........awwwwwh:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Would they, AFAIK Liverpool and Chelsea are the only premier league teams to have been found guilty of tapping players , perhaps you'll link us to united being caught at it?

And its been proven against city? As for united proof, read jaap stams biography. Fergie did once and jaap was gone after it. I'm sure Berbatov's biography will be intetesting when he discusses bumping into Alex in the airport. Most if not all clubs do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Question for United supporters.
    What reception will Rooney get at the next home game, will he be booed?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

killwill wrote: »
    Name all these United fans that are saying Rooney is not that good? He is brilliant, would be an asset to any team in the world full stop. Will be sorely missed but United will replace him and it will be exciting to see the young lads and Owen getting more playing time.

Rooney is totally over rated. Yes he is a good player but imo Tevez is a far better player and i personally felt rooney should have been let go and Tevez kept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Come back with your name calling when you have a shred of evidence, good lad.

pot...kettle...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

killwill wrote: »

Plently to see in this thread. Any Tevez thread is also a good source..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rooney is totally over rated. Yes he is a good player but imo Tevez is a far better player and i personally felt rooney should have been let go and Tevez kept.

Tevez was sub standard to say the least in his last season with United. Had absolutely no desire to fight for his place and wanted everything to be handed to him on a platter. You could say the same about Rooney now though I suppose but Rooney did strike me as having a lot of love for the club and definitely the fire to keep pushing himself. It surprised Fergie so it totally blew me away that he wanted to leave...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

this time 9 months ago Rooney was probably the best player in the world messi apart. was in devastating form scoring for fun and was on a different planet at times.
    now he's overrated :confused:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Hopefully not, it would be a sad day for the club if they did. I can't remember any United player being booed by United fans while playing for United. Even Ronaldo when he was throwing a strop didn't get booed, he just got plenty of stick for not putting in the effort.

I would expect United fans to be very disappointed and not chant his name, and I would also expect them to respect the fact that he is still a United player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I can't see him playing for United again to be honest, but if he's in the stadium, he'll be booed.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

this time 9 months ago Rooney was probably the best player in the world messi apart. was in devastating form scoring for fun and was on a different planet at times.
    now he's overrated :confused:
    He was over rated back then. Only for Valencia putting the ball on his head he wouldn't have scored half the goals he scored last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

:pac:

I personally feel you should post more in this thread. I could do with a laugh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement