Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Muppet wrote: »
    Would they, AFAIK Liverpool and Chelsea are the only premier league teams to have been found guilty of tapping players , perhaps you'll link us to united being caught at it?

Part of the Berbatov deal was throwing Spurs an extra couple of million to not take a case to the FA. You know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Would they, AFAIK Liverpool and Chelsea are the only premier league teams to have been found guilty of tapping players , perhaps you'll link us to united being caught at it?

Oh come off it, Fergie has been bullying smaller clubs for god knows how long. Berbatov is a classic example.

It's not like any of the other big clubs don't do it, but this holier than thou, we are better than that attitude really grates because no, United AREN'T better than that and it's nice to see a bit of what goes around comes around, first with Ronaldo and now hopefully with Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Look at Roy! When he was going to be bought by Blackburn Fergie caught him at the airport and convinced him to sign for United.

If that is not that tapping up I don't know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The tapping up in itself doesnt bother me particularly, it happens in football, by everyone

There is nothing that can be done about it imo, just a fact of life. This must be great times for anti united lads, serious **** material everywhere ye look eh?

CorkMan wrote: »
    Look at Roy! When he was going to be bought by Blackburn Fergie caught him at the airport and convinced him to sign for United.

If that is not that tapping up I don't know what is.

Think you may have him mixed up with someone else (Berba maybe?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Its interesting to see what Jose said, he obviously wants Rooney to stick around at united for when he takes over.

I think Fergie should have came out and maybe asked the fans to try and change Rooneys mind, by not giving him stick and trying to encourage him when he plays.

I've been saying "fcuk him", but truth be told, id rather he change his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kryogen wrote: »

There is nothing that can be done about it imo, just a fact of life. This must be great times for anti united lads, serious **** material everywhere ye look eh?

I won't lie, yes it's bloody fantastic. What do you expect from fans of other clubs? Books of condolences?

It's the nature of the beast and what goes around comes around. You'll have your day when City go bust and Pool get relegated ;)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I won't lie, yes it's bloody fantastic. What do you expect from fans of other clubs? Books of condolences?

It's the nature of the beast and what goes around comes around. You'll have your day when City go bust and Pool get relegated ;)

I dont expect anything from football fans! (or some of the guys on here who pretend to be fans)

I will be **** also when city go bye bye and chelsea too, must just be a nice change for non man united fans to be able to sneer at us is all my observation was about

edit: your sig is rather offensive actually ;) na only joking, tis pure stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

And its been proven against city? As for united proof, read jaap stams biography. Fergie did once and jaap was gone after it. I'm sure Berbatov's biography will be intetesting when he discusses bumping into Alex in the airport. Most if not all clubs do it.

I never said it had been proven against City. I said Liverpool and chelsea.

Jaap said he was tapped Fergie said he wasn't. It never went any futher than that so It's one mans word against another, It depends who you wish to believe. Bebartov could be a similar situation but nothing has been proven to date.

Question for United supporters.
    What reception will Rooney get at the next home game, will he be booed?

I doubt he'll play for United again.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Plently to see in this thread. Any Tevez thread is also a good source..

if only there was way to link to these "plenty" of posters. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I think myself that Blueney is making a correct decicion.
    Utd are on the way down the league and I would be surprised if silverware will grace the trophey room this with or without.
    City is the place to go if its money your after, and give it another season and another big spending spree will be challanging for tropheys.
    Why do you think Wayne and Coleen took a second honeymoon to Dubai at the beginning of the month?

I dont expect anything from football fans! (or some of the guys on here who pretend to be fans)

I will be **** also when city go bye bye and chelsea too, must just be a nice change for non man united fans to be able to sneer at us is all my observation was about

edit: your sig is rather offensive actually ;) na only joking, tis pure stupid!

It is a nice change. You've been at the top for a long, long time and a lot of your supporters have either forgotten what it's like to be on the receiving end of a slagging or grown up through a period when it was never an issue in the first place.

I took sh*t for nearly 20 years so it's payback time :D

P.S. Of course the sig is silly, I'm well aware of that, but if there's one thing this forum lacks is cheeky light hearted digs. Too many sensitive souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I doubt he'll play for United again.

He should be left to sit on the bench until January - The boy has only scored a handful of goals in 6 months .-

Man U will make the right decision

It is a nice change. You've been at the top for a long, long time and a lot of your supporters have either forgotten what it's like to be on the receiving end of a slagging or grown up through a period when it was never an issue in the first place.

I took sh*t for nearly 20 years so it's payback time :D

P.S. Of course the sig is silly, I'm well aware of that, but if there's one thing this forum lacks is cheeky light hearted digs. Too many sensitive souls.

You know I'd expect you guys would have learned by now, We had the same sort of doom predicted when Beckham left repeated when Ruud left and Keane , Ronaldo and Now Rooney. So you don't know if it's actually payback time yet, you're just hoping.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

antod wrote: »

I'm not going to read that because A) Its from the Daily Sihte and B) United have never sold Wayne Rooney Short

Rooney is totally over rated. Yes he is a good player but imo Tevez is a far better player and i personally felt rooney should have been let go and Tevez kept.

This post is what is wrong with some "fans" these days.

Fickle.com

You know I'd expect you guys would have learned by now, We had the same sort of doom predicted when Beckham left repeated when Ruud left and Keane , Ronaldo and Now Rooney. So you don't know if it's actually payback time yet, you're just hoping.;)

Oh it's by no means a forgone conclusion of course but personally I think this is far worse than any of the previous times due to the majority of the squad being either too old or too average.

A hell of lot of money would need to be forked out over the next 24 months to replace the genuine quality that is on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Think you may have him mixed up with someone else (Berba maybe?)

Nothing to do with an airport but I thought Keane says in his autobiography that Ferguson called him up and told him not to sign for Blackburn because United would come in with a bid.

I'm not going to read that because A) Its from the Daily Sihte and B) United have never sold Wayne Rooney Short

I second this post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

antod wrote: »

Situation: All other media outlets siding with Ferguson. No room for anything new there.

Opportunity: Court Rooney camp. Blame United. Angle for increased access to Rooney in the wake of his big money move. 'Daily Mail Exclusive' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This post is what is wrong with some "fans" these days.

Fickle.com

your right there rarnes some fans are very fickle.

Oh it's by no means a forgone conclusion of course but personally I think this is far worse than any of the previous times due to the majority of the squad being either too old or too average.

A hell of lot of money would need to be forked out over the next 24 months to replace the genuine quality that is on the way out.

I agree with you, Didn't Gill recently say we have £150 million to spend on players and that's not counting any money we recieve for Rooney. I am concerned about recent developments but I am also confident that we have a manager that will minimise the damage to the club if that money is actually available to him.

Nothing to do with an airport but I thought Keane says in his autobiography that Ferguson called him up and told him not to sign for Blackburn because United would come in with a bid.

Yep, it was the airport I was reffering to when i said he must be mixed up!

Fergie called him and asked him had he signed anything, he said not yet so Fergie said to come have a chat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Ferguson must know Rooney's reasons for wanting to leave. He says that Rooney never even discussed money so the only other reason can be the club's lack of ambition.

If that is the case, then as a United fan, that is forgiveable since it's what the majority of us have felt with the transfer dealings in the past couple of years (money being the constraint).

When people mention loyalty, what I'm looking for is for Rooney to be playing out of his skin until he leaves. That hasn't been the case from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

na only joking, tis pure stupid!
    expect any less!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

TBH I couldn't be bothered gloating or trying to get a rise out of the Man Utd posters here as being a City fan I'm well aware how horrible it feels when your club is going thru a tough time and certain factions jump up and down in glee!! I can't say as a City fan I'm in tears for ye

I must however remind people that City are currently doing quite well at the moment with a terrific squad with some big names yet to come back from injury so this talk of Rooney only going after the money should be a moot point. I'd fully agree with the point being made by some posters if we were mid or bottom of the table but we aren't so why should Rooney not come over to city??

That said I believe City don't actually need Rooney right now and I believe his addition to our already fine squad would only be disastrous in the long run....... *Can't believe I actually posted we don't need Rooney!!!! Goodness, how times have changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Ferguson must know Rooney's reasons for wanting to leave. He says that Rooney never even discussed money so the only other reason can be the club's lack of ambition.

it's money.

Utd won 3 in a row before last year.

peddling 'ambition' at this early stage, when Utd aren't even in any sort of real crisis on the field, would be pathetic on Rooney's part.

it's money, and we'll know by where he goes and how much he earns, since it looks like he'd have been the highest paid player on Utd's books, and possibly anyone outside of City.

City actually dont need Rooney right now, but he would be a great acquisition to any team and the likes of Adebayor/Santa Cruz/Bellamy, will all be on their bikes soon anyway and that would take care of his wages

I hope city sign as many big names/egos as possible tbh. best chance of failure that route

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's money.

peddling 'ambition' at this early stage, when Utd aren't even in any sort of real crisis on the field, would be pathetic on Rooney's part.

it's money, and we'll know by where he goes and how much he earns, since it looks like he'd have been the highest paid player on Utd's books, and possibly anyone outside of City.

i cant fully agree with this, there is a pattern coming through at united the last couple of years, and it is perfectly plausible that Rooney has seen it and wants to go now when he has the best chance of getting the best deal possible for himself elsewhere due to the short time left on his contract

Its not just money here imo, im sure its a factor, but im sure there are lots of factors

City actually dont need Rooney right now, but he would be a great acquisition to any team and the likes of Adebayor/Santa Cruz/Bellamy, will all be on their bikes soon anyway and that would take care of his wages

I hope city sign as many big names/egos as possible tbh. best chance of failure that route

Well, seeing as it has happened at United with Ronaldo and Rooney I suppose there is no reason why it shouldn't also happen at City!!
    Ah well, like United we will try to enjoy the good times before they disappear;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

this time 9 months ago Rooney was probably the best player in the world messi apart. was in devastating form scoring for fun and was on a different planet at times.
    now he's overrated :confused:

Yes last season. This is only one season. He has only scored over 20 goals in the prem in one season which was last and over 20 goals in all competitions only twice in his career and he has played over 40 games in 8 of his 9 seasons. This is why i say he is overrated. People/papers are building him up as world class when really he is just a top 10 premiership striker.

Yes last season. This is only one season. He has only scored over 20 goals in the prem in one season which was last and over 20 goals in all competitions only twice in his career and he has played over 40 games in 8 of his 9 seasons. This is why i say he is overrated. People/papers are building him up as world class when really he is just a top 10 premiership striker.

are you off your game?

Rooney provides much more to a team then just his goal return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

it's money.

Yeah, can't see any other reason. The 'getting out of a sinking ship' reason being thrown around seems to be clutching at straws to keep the idealistic view of him some people have. Until he comes out and says his reasons for leaving in a believeable manner, it can only be about money. Our on field performances aren't indicating a crisis at the moment, we do need new players, but it really isn't as easy as just buying the latest hyped up player. If he wants to go, there's no point guilting him into staying and pretending he wants to be there, i don't think i can support him the same way any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

are you off your game?

Rooney provides much more to a team then just his goal return

Don't agree with a lot of what you say, but this is bang on the money. Rooney minus goals is still an awesome player, the goals are a bonus and he did far better last season in that respect than I ever expected him to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Well, seeing as it has happened at United with Ronaldo and Rooney I suppose there is no reason why it shouldn't also happen at City!!
    Ah well, like United we will try to enjoy the good times before they disappear;)

wow 2nd in the league after 2 months... good times...:rolleyes:
    Come back when ye win something ...

Back on topic ..As I said before why would City want Rooney when their own version (Tevez) is on fire at the moment and is playing out of his skin .

i cant fully agree with this, there is a pattern coming through at united the last couple of years, and it is perfectly plausible that Rooney has seen it and wants to go now when he has the best chance of getting the best deal possible for himself elsewhere due to the short time left on his contract

Its not just money here imo, im sure its a factor, but im sure there are lots of factors

i do take your point on ambition, and i'm sure it's a tough one for a Utd fan to admit.

but i just don't see Rooney rationally looking at Ferguson, looking at how successful the club has been, and thinking there's no ambition to do well.

i mean there is an argument that Utd haven't spent the Ronaldo money. while i think a lot of it has probably been used for debt purposes, he has spent money on the likes of Chicharito, Bebé, Smalling; and not for pittance.

so it's either a knee-jerk reaction to a lot of factors including personal life and lack of world class (in their prime) players around him, or it's about money.

if he goes to City, and since Coleen probably won't leave the country due to the personal reasons related to her sister, and since the marriage seems to be saved for all intents and purposes, that is the only place in England i can realistically seem him going...if he does go there, he's going for money, because, as mad as City's spending has been, and as ambitious as they claim to be, they've proved fúck all yet.

it's not as black and white as i've maybe conveyed it there, and there are other issues, but i think money will prove to be the overriding factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    [/B]

thirty four years f*ck all!

Might regret posting that, interesting times ahead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Back on topic ..As I said before why would City want Rooney when their own version (Tevez) is on fire at the moment and is playing out of his skin .

Has there not been a lot of noise about Tevez leaving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Mancini claiming they haven't approached Rooney at all. Suppose they have to say that whether it is true or not.
    So Mourinho and Ancelloti have both now said they would be interested in signing him.
    This is gonna be one long transfer speculation. I think I remember Rooney himself saying he could never see himself playing in Spain, then again he said he wanted to play for United for life.
    I have a funny feeling he is going to London.

[/B]
    As I said before why would City want Rooney when their own version (Tevez) is on fire at the moment and is playing out of his skin .

Rooney and Tevez is one of, if not the, best partnership seen in the Premiership in the last number of years.

[/B]

It's good enough for me at the moment and I'd imagine there are many posters who wouldn't mind swapping their teams places at the moment. Anyhoo, I'll bow out of this particular thread and leave it to the usual suspects to bring it round and round in circles with useless speculation, conjecture and sarcastic posts......;)

*and to think some United fans wonder why they get rounded upon by other fans...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Rooney and Tevez is one of, if not the, best partnership seen in the Premiership in the last number of years.

Two and a half seasons ago , not sure if they will be able to just reunite and carry on ..alot of water has passed under that bridge since ...My point was City seem to be firing just right at the moment and Tevez is the main man and guideing force within the City team at the moment ..So as a club they may not be so fast to change/ invest as alot on here assume.

Then again ..I'm on record early in this thread saying I couldn't see Rooney leaving ,so my 2 cent is trading around the 1 yen mark ATM.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Why do people think he is staying in England? A big part of his recent troubles has been his private life. If he stays in England he will still have that hassle.

I can see him going to Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Why do people think he is staying in England? A big part of his recent troubles has been his private life. If he stays in England he will still have that hassle.

Wife's sister is very sick and she wants Colleen to stay close to home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Dempsey wrote: »
    Wife's sister is very sick and she wants Colleen to stay close to home

She probably doesnt want him sleeping with whores either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

We would have said the same about Ashley Cole. I would have thought him going to Real madrid was a forgone conclusion when Mourinho took over.

But once Terry, Gerrard and now Rooney got their leg over something other then their wife, along with Crouch, Cole has dropped of the radar.

I'd say he was contemplating moving away but when the J.T incident grabbed all the headlines everything for him calmed down.

I'd say Rooney is in the same frame of mind now, its all doom and gloom but I'm sure Cole has had a word with him at the England camps etc giving him a helping hand in how to deal with it.

The English media are very sensationalist and I think ruud made a good point last night when he said something along the lines of
    Typical English when something comes along you praise it as the new messiah, give him time and make sure he is looked after properly.

This was in relation to Wilshire, who after a run of about 4-5 games is being "hailed" as Paul Scholes, the second coming and "The English iniesta".

Until we hear from Rooney its all speculation but if he is moving bet your house he knows his offers and probably knows where he is going.

After all thats happend to him this year, and whats happening now. For Rooney to come out and say.

"you know what, i'm giving the club two more years. I'm not happy with the clubs ambition as I feel it doesnt match my own, but I'm willing to give another while to see a turnaround"

for me that should be enough to keep everyone happy.

Rooney gets to stick with a club that adores him, with a manager that loves him and a team thats built around him.

United get to keep their prized asset and in time should be able to recoup serious money for him.

England national team are safe knowing one of their lynchpins is stable and might regain some form in time for the Euros.

Fans will get the chance to show how much he is loved and how sorely he would be missed. And will hope to see top form from him again.

Rooney making an appearance to massive boos will make his task more easier to leave, and although the boo's would be understandable, how quickly forgotten would his years of tireless service be forgotten about.

He is a young lad that probably has his priorities mixed up but youd hope some old united greats would have a chat or a phonecall.

I'd hope that Sir Alex has told wayne to have a chat with Solkjaer. Who can simply say.

"I could have been the greatest striker in the world, I could have been the best, but it didnt work out for me. You have bags more ability and talent.

I'll always be remebered here and throughout the years for being a super sub. imagine what you oculd be remembered as if you stay here".

I know I go on alot about building a legacy etc. But the footballers who I idolised and loved , I love them because of their legacies and what they forged for themselves.

I will never comprahend why a player would ever leave United of their own free will. It is a club drenched and oozing with success and even in the bad years recently, were still competitive.

This might be a wake up call for the Glazers and I'm sure SAf has had words.

"This club needs investment to keep competitive".

Also SSN had a guy o nthis morning who claimed he was misquoted yesterday as saying that Rooney could buy out his contract for 5 million.

What he infact said was that although this wasn't the case, the article refers to the player being allowed to move should he wish despite being contract bound. he clearly stated that Rooney could not buy out his contract and although the fee would be less it would bemore then the rumoured 5 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

killwill wrote: »
    Mancini claiming they haven't approached Rooney at all. Suppose they have to say that whether it is true or not.
    So Mourinho and Ancelloti have both now said they would be interested in signing him.
    This is gonna be one long transfer speculation. I think I remember Rooney himself saying he could never see himself playing in Spain, then again he said he wanted to play for United for life.
    I have a funny feeling he is going to London.

Yep, QPR are going all out to sign him, Flavio releasing some funds for the promotion push;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

To those saying he is only leavibg for the money-abd not personal ambition;

rooney had the best season of his career last season. Yet they lost the league and the champions league. The team around him just isnt up to it yet, it may never be and no indication of replacements coming for the likes of scholes.

I just think it is harsh some of the judgements he is getting is all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement