Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trilla wrote: »
    Sorry wasnt trying to be. I just checked I havent thanked a post by you in 8 months :eek:

I'm just a bit touchy and anti-City this month, apologies Xavi

I love you

:o Think we're all a bit PMS at the mo. Been a bit of a whirlwind start to the season between this, Pool and City actually not being shite.

The love is reciprocated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One day you'll direct a comment at me that isn't an attempt at being a smart arse. I look forward to it.

Here's your source -

https://twitter.com/#!/DTguardian/status/27928464557

Thanks but still hasn't been confirmed, just rumoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

its all a game lads... calm down. Rooney will be playing for united for many seasons to come.

money money money

Greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It all boils down to money ...:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDWPvhiPWg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

His statement will be something the lines of him being a Liverpool fan all along and leaving Everton and now Utd in the lurch has all been part of a huge prank on both sets of fans. He'll then announce he'll be moving to Liverpool in January prompting the headline, "Roo'll never walk alone".

Or maybe not.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

kryogen wrote: »
    Its clear to most that the PIK's are going to have to be paid off by taking money from the club, its not clear to one particular chap here though

So tell me, Muppet. What do you think the Glazers are going to do to pay off the PIK's? where is the finance coming from?

I don't know what you're worried about. Sure when ye sell Rooney for 30m, Ferguson will go out and spend all of that 180 million he's keeping warm for a while now.

At least that is what will happen in muppet-land. I'm sure if Rooney does go, and January and the summer come and go with utd only having spent around 25m or so agin, it'll be the same 'no value' story we'll be hearing.

I think now (well, the end of the season) would be a good time for ferguson to cut and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_6454738,00.html
    "My thoughts are he will stay," Mourinho told Sky Sports.

Belongs

"He probably wants to leave for some reasons, but I believe he belongs to Man Utd, he belongs to Man Utd fans, he belongs to Old Trafford.

"I believe he is going to stay

"But if at the end of day Man Utd decides that he is to leave, give me a call."

Asked if he would be interesting in taking Rooney to the Spanish capital, a laughing Mourinho said: "Everybody would be interested, but again I don't think so.

"I think and I wish because I like him, I like Sir Alex, I like Man Utd I believe the best thing for him is to stay there for life.

Asked if he was excited at the prospect of teaming Rooney up with Cristiano Ronaldoagain, Mourinho remarked: "Yes, but he will stay at Old Trafford for sure."

Two managers now have said that they expect him to stay. Interesting stuff.

The stuff in bold is the most interesting, he's really endearing himself to United fans :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

PHB wrote: »

The stuff in bold is the most interesting, he's really endearing himself to United fans :)

As much as Mourinho would like him at Real at this present time I'd say he'd prefer for Rooney to stay at Utd for when he gets there (maybe with Ronnie too) in a few years time. Because unlike Ronnie I think if Rooney leaves Utd now given everything thats happened I can't see him coming back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

token56 wrote: »
    As much as Mourinho would like him at Real at this present time I'd say he'd prefer for Rooney to stay at Utd for when he gets there (maybe with Ronnie too) in a few years time. Because unlike Ronnie I think if Rooney leaves Utd now given everything thats happened I can't see him coming back again.

You actually think United could afford to re-sign Ronaldo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Means absolutely nothing more than professional courtesy. They'd have nothing to gain from saying they'll make a bid for him.

The most important thing is what's said by his own manager and the man himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Is there more to this story? All we've heard thus far is Fergie's side of things. Could be him getting the first "shot" in what could be a protracted situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Chelsea have intimated that they'll bid 20 million for him.

according to Derek Mooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Once a blue always a Red .... Or a White , or a Purple , or a Green .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Is there more to this story? All we've heard thus far is Fergie's side of things. Could be him getting the first "shot" in what could be a protracted situation.

Goal.com and several other website are reporting that Rooney will issue "his side of the story". It's sad that's it's got this point, he's still a United player and could be effectively engaged in a media battle with the club come tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho would be interested in signing Wayne Rooney should Manchester United decide they have no option but to sell the England striker.
    United manager Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed on Tuesday that Rooney wants to leave the club, and barring a change of heart from the player it means he is almost certain to leave either in January or at the end of the season.
    Speaking after Real's 2-0 win over AC Milan in the Champions League, Mourinho said: "He will stay. He probably wants to leave for some reason but I believe he belongs to Man United, he belongs to Man United fans, he belongs to Old Trafford. But if at the end of the day Man United decide that he is to leave, then give me a call."
    Real are one of the few clubs with the financial muscle to attract Rooney, and Mourinho would clearly be prepared to listen if the chance to sign the player arose. The former Chelsea boss admitted he would not be alone in a bidding war if the England striker is put on the market.

"Everybody will be interested," he said.
    "But I like him, I like Sir Alex, I like Man United and I believe the best thing for him is to stay there for life."
    A move to Madrid would reunite Rooney with Cristiano Ronaldo, with whom he had so much success at Old Trafford.
    However, Mourinho laughed when asked about a possible reunion.
    "Yeah, but he will stay at Old Trafford for sure," he said.

i think he will be gone jose :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    You actually think United could afford to re-sign Ronaldo?

With the way the finances are at the moment, definitely not. But Ronaldo coming back would depend a lot on what he wants personally at that given time. The only way I can see it happening is in a few years time post Fergie if Mourinho is in charge and Ronaldos contract expires with Madrid and he decides to come back and follow Mourinho. But this is all a bit off topic here I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

of course there is more to this story.

Rooney will issue a statement today, some of it will be true, some of it will be lies.

Fergie said his piece yesterday, some of it was true, some of it was lies.

It will continue until he is sold.

I love how it is being reported that ferguson won't put up with Rooney's 'antics'. As though it is somehow ferguson's decision to get rid of him.
    Spin that Alastair Campbell would be proud of.

I love how it is being reported that ferguson won't put up with Rooney's 'antics'. As though it is somehow ferguson's decision to get rid of him.
    Spin that Alastair Campbell would be proud of.

I would have thought it's been Rooney's behaviour since August 14th that he was referring to which in turn led to Ferguson making the statement and dropping him. Keep up.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I would have thought it's been Rooney's behaviour since August 14th that he was referring to which in turn led to Ferguson making the statement and dropping him. Keep up.
    No. It is roundly being said that Ferguson has seen off other players. That he knows when to get rid of them. Beckham, stam, Van Niddleroy, etc.
    This is more of a fake ronaldo situation. The player is calling the shots. However, the media offensive would have us believe that Ferguson is.

(Read a paper)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No. It is roundly being said that Ferguson has seen off other players. That he knows when to get rid of them. Beckham, stam, Van Niddleroy, etc.
    This is more of a fake ronaldo situation. The player is calling the shots. However, the media offensive would have us believe that Ferguson is.

(Read a paper)

Honestly, what papers are you reading?

I have not seen the story portrayed in that way.

The player is calling the shots. However, the media offensive would have us believe that Ferguson is.

(Read a paper)

I evidently don't read the same paper as you. What I have read is the Ferguson is handling the situation brilliantly, which I agree with.

I evidently don't read the same paper as you. What I have read is the Ferguson is handling the situation brilliantly, which I agree with.
    Going on Sky cryingd an begging Rooney to stay is a little unbecoming imo.

Also, what happened to Ferguson's media boycott?

The door is open for your reply.

Personally reading about everything that has happened I still think its possible for everything to be salvaged. The most important thing which has yet to be answered by anyone, and the only who can answer it is why does he want to leave. People can speculate all they want but only he knows the true reason and he will probably have to come out and say why soon. If this is something Utd can't address well then its game over, if there is something they can do, well they need to look at the whole situation very carefully and see what they want to do, what's right for the club and what's reasonable to do.

A few things would be key in this situation, first of all there is Fergie. He is clearly not happy and disappointed with how things have happened over the past while and in particular some of Rooney's behavior i.e. him saying he's not injured etc. But I'm sure their relationship is still salvageable, it would just be a matter of apologies and letting everything thats gone before go. Rooney himself must feel a bit aggrieved over the whole thing, especially the events of the last few days. How this can all be solved will really depend on what his reason is for him wanting to leave and then looking at everything as a whole.

Going on Sky cryingd an begging Rooney to stay is a little unbecoming imo.

Also, what happened to Ferguson's media boycott?

The door is open for your reply.

He had a duty to the fans to speak about the situation.

The media boycott was only ever for the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Question for Man Utd fans, given that Fergie is only a year or two away from retirement and Rooney is only 25, would you get rid of Fergie so that you could have Rooney for the next 6 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Question for Man Utd fans, given that Fergie is only a year or two away from retirement and Rooney is only 25, would you get rid of Fergie so that you could have Rooney for the next 6 years?

No.

Among many, many reasons, the simplest I can give is.

Fergie has always done what's best for United, Ronney it now seems, has not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

would you get rid of Fergie so that you could have Rooney for the next 6 years?

No.

Fergie is the captain of the ship, the leader, the man who calls the shots, and the man who ultimately has most control over the team.

He is one of the only people who can actually rebuild the team (as he has done so many times before) - providing he has the finances to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Is that including the mighty gary megson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Dan Roan Twtter ;

Quote;
    "danroan We haven't yet heard from Wayne Rooney since the story of his decision to leave broke - that's about to change.
    about 1 hour ago "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

mixednuts wrote: »
    Dan Roan Twtter ;

Quote;
    "danroan We haven't yet heard from Wayne Rooney since the story of his decision to leave broke - that's about to change.
    about 1 hour ago "

Bring on the game.

I want this f*cking circus to end. We are not Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

BREAKING: Wayne Rooney: "I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

He's gone lads. Time to move on.

event wrote: »
    BREAKING: Wayne Rooney: "I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad"

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Not suprising....

Praising Sir Alex
    Stating the love for the club
    Blaming it on lack of potential signings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

He clearly has bigger balls than Fabregas.

It's about ambition. He wants to win trophies, it's a short career, he owes United no more than they owe him, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Source?

none, i pulled it out of my áss :confused:

Rooney: "Interested to hear what Sir Alex said and surprised by some of it. Despite recent diffcties I know I'll always owe him a huge debt"

Fairly well played by Rooney then.

Ball back in United's court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad," said Rooney.

"I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract."

"I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say yesterday and surprised by some of it."

"It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.

"I have never had anything but complete respect for MUFC. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?

"For me its all about winning trophies - as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.

"Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt. He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18.

"For Manchester United's sake I wish he could go on forever because he's a one off and a genius."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

event wrote: »

Last Week? a bit late with that wasn't he given what he said on 14th of august.

NO

He had a duty to the fans to speak about the situation.

The media boycott was only ever for the BBC.
    the papers wrote:
    Meanwhile, Alex Ferguson cancelled his traditional Friday press conference and embarked on a media black-out.
    Ferguson is annoyed with the way the media portrayed his comments about Fernando Torres and what he saw as an attempt to have John O'Shea sent off during the recent clash between Liverpool and Manchester United.
    Supposed to go on for a month, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Muppet wrote: »
    Last Week? a bit late with that wasn't he given what he said on 14th of august.

To me it more reads like he had already asked and they didn't give him an answer as to whether there would be or wouldn't be signings. He asked again, which would have been the assurances he was seeking, didn't get them and said he was off.

That was probably our chance to make it or break it with him. It broke in this case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

So Was Ferguson lying when he said he wanted out in August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mars bar wrote: »
    To me it more reads like he had already asked and they didn't give him an answer as to whether there would be or wouldn't be signings. He asked again, which would have been the assurances he was seeking, didn't get them and said he was off.

That was probably our chance to make it or break it with him. It broke in this case...

Either way we have the club's talisman coming out and telling us the club can't buy players who are good enough.

The head in the sand act is surely getting harder and harder to carry on with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mars bar wrote: »

It's bull**** IMO. His destiniation will tell all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So Was Ferguson lying when he said he wanted out in August?

Of course not.

From all the years I've seen Fergie mess with the media and spin BS to protect his players and his team, that interview yesterday was the most sincere interview I've ever seen him give.

I'm sure you'd much rather believe Rooney's PR department though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How so?

City are clearly a club with greater ambition than us, along with the means to match that ambition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

This esentially. If he signs for Barca/Madrid/Chelsea then you could at least say he was going to clubs with immediate prospects of winning trophies.

But if he signs for City he's full of sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yea cause I love Rooney?!

Good call Archi! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Yea cause I love Rooney?!

Good call Archi! :)

Win win situation really for ya really Al.;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement