Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

flahavaj wrote: »
    This esentially. If he signs for Barca/Madrid/Chelsea then you could at least say he was going to clubs with immediate prospects of winning trophies.

But if he signs for City he's full of sh*t.

He has cited the reason he wants to go as being cause he wants to see a squad being built of and competing to buy world class players, City tick that box fairly comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Yea cause I love Rooney?!

Good call Archi! :)

No, because it's much easier back a player who's leaving the club you hate, and make out Fergie to be the anti-christ yet again!

I see right through you Al. Nothing but wires and gears underneath. You're a United hating robot and nothing more. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

keane2097 wrote: »
    How so?

City are clearly a club with greater ambition than us, along with the means to match that ambition.

Their immediate ambition is to finish top four. They have huge money to spend but they're by no means dead certs to be regularly winning trophies in the next 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

How so?

City are clearly a club with greater ambition than us, along with the means to match that ambition.

You believe what you want, I for one don't want to see the club enter a bidding war with the likes of city. Interesting that you would think we should given your stance on club finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This esentially. If he signs for Barca/Madrid/Chelsea then you could at least say he was going to clubs with immediate prospects of winning trophies.

But if he signs for City he's full of sh*t.

City have and probably will be buying world class players.

Perfectly consistent.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Apparently I have to post this link featuring uber cry baby Paddy Crerand here.

Paddy Crerand hangs up on Ivan 'the interrogator' Yates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Apparently I have to post this link featuring uber cry baby Paddy Crerand here.

You really don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Muppet wrote: »
    You believe what you want, I for one don't want to see the club enter a bidding war with the likes of city. Interesting that you would think we should given your stance on club finances.

I didn't say a word about bidding wars.

What I said is that thinking Rooney going to City would mean his "lack of ambition" line is a lie is completely and obviously retarded.

Archimedes wrote: »
    No, because it's much easier back a player who's leaving the club you hate, and make out Fergie to be the anti-christ yet again!

I see right through you Al. Nothing but wires and gears underneath. You're a United hating robot and nothing more. ;)

A transparent united hating robot to be precise.

There's no way he'll end up at City. Fergie went to court to stop a declining second choice LB Heinze from going to a Liverpool. You honestly think he'll sell a superstar to a club he hates more than Liverpool?

Guarantee you he'll sort a deal out with his mate Jose, and Rooney will be off to Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Surely the Glazers have to come out and give reassurances about player investments or other players will become unsettled by Rooney's precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Guess spending getting Bebe instead of Van Der Vaart looks pretty silly now!

What I said is that thinking Rooney going to City would mean his "lack of ambition" line is a lie is completely and obviously retarded.

City are starting from quitre a way behind where United currently stand in fairness.

6 months ago United came within a point of the Premiership, were playing in the QF of the CL and won the Carling Cup.

While obviously City are making huge strides in the transfer market and putting club rivalries aside are undeniably a rising force with huge potential, the jury is still out as to how fast they're going to be a club that'll be at the stage United currently are.

If he does sign for City he's taking a huge risk if he wants to be playing at that level for the 5-6 years he still has at the top level.

It strikes me the likes of Barca/Madrid/Chelsea would be far better bets.

Did I say that, If Rooney goes to City it will be primerily for the Money and I don't blame him for that , I'd agree with Keano's comments in fact. However I'd like him to be honest with the fans and say he's been made an offer thats too good to refuse. Of couse he can't do that so he should just say nothing instead of spouting obvious bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

So, David Gill says we have £150million to spend on players, we just dont want to.

Rooney asks him to assure him that the squad will be improved and he cant give him that assurance?

Whats going on at our club is dark and getting darker.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Guess spending getting Bebe instead of Van Der Vaart looks pretty silly now!

Definitely. He was very average in the handful of minutes he's played for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

City are starting from quitre a way behind where United currently stand in fairness.

6 months ago United came within a point of the Premiership, were playing in the QF of the CL and won the Carling Cup.

While obviously City are making huge strides in the transfer market and putting club rivalries aside are undeniably a rising force with huge potential, the jury is still out as to how fast they're going to be a club that'll be at the stage United currently are.

If he does sign for City he's taking a huge risk if he wants to be playing at that level for the 5-6 years he still has at the top level.

Man City started quite a way behind Liverpool too.:eek:

City's squad is monstrous and they're playing extremely well.

Chelsea took what, two years to come from a long way behind to league winners? After spending far less money and bringing in - if anything - a slightly lower calibre of player.

The idea that it will be 5 or 6 years before they're winning things is just wishful thinking tbh. I think it's completely deluded.

There's no way he'll end up at City. Fergie went to court to stop a declining second choice LB Heinze from going to a Liverpool. You honestly think he'll sell a superstar to a club he hates more than Liverpool?

Guarantee you he'll sort a deal out with his mate Jose, and Rooney will be off to Madrid.

Two situations totally different, Rooney has all the aces he'll go where he wants and tbh that should be the highest bidder, I can't see the Glazers selling him to anyone but the highest bidder can you?

• Advertisement

George_Clooney_laughing.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Haha loved listening to that Crerand interview, lol what a lovely polite man he is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Dempsey wrote: »
    Surely the Glazers have to come out and give reassurances about player investments or other players will become unsettled by Rooney's precedent.

Dont really think so. Rooney will prob use every excuse in the book if the club said they were gonnna sped 200 mill on players. Its only an easy excuse, every one knows united have money "problems"

Leave him go to City and be a turncoat (again) , or go to Madrid and be burned alive by the sun. United were only one point behind chelsea last year and people say they are doomed.

As a united fan i wish he stayed but cant love someone who dont love you back, the damage is done. Sell him in Jan and buy him a tub of factor SPF 100 for Madrid as a golden handshake.

George_Clooney_laughing.jpg

Bravo man - I can't believe this isn't post of the day already :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm torn on this issue as a Man U fan. If Rooney's real reason for wanting to leave is the club's inability to sign top quality players I could understand it. Now I'm not fully sure this is his main reason. It's the popular reason to come up, and was already predicted by many on this forum yesterday that he would give this reason as it would be hard to criticise.

But let's not be cynical and assume that this is his one and only reason. It's not as if Rooney is playing fantastically well at the moment. We could have signed Messi, Villa, Ozil and everyone else this summer but the fact of the matter is Rooney is still playing ****e. United, even with the lack of new players, have been playing alright this season and, but for a few too many defensive mistakes, could be top of the league. If Rooney had been banging in a few goals to help the side rather than banging prostitutes instead we may well be top of the league. I'd like to see him sort his own form out, see how the team does this season, and then if he still feels the club is going nowhere leave in the summer.

Now I have a feeling that seeing other players, especially at City, earning much more than he does might also have a bearing on his decision. Again I'm torn as if I had the chance to double my wages I'd probably do it as well. But then again I'm not making a more than confortable living at the moment like he is.

The fact is he's on a good wage at a top club. Alright the club have financial difficulties but who's to say these won't be sorted sooner than later? He needs to ask himself does he want to move to a club like Real, City or Barca, earn plenty of money but be sitting on the bench far more than he does at United? Or should he just pull his socks up and do his best to get his current club back into trophy winning form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Either way we have the club's talisman coming out and telling us the club can't buy players who are good enough.

The head in the sand act is surely getting harder and harder to carry on with...

How is my post a head in the sand attitude?!

It's quite clear we are not able to attract the calibre of player we once were...

• Advertisement

Chelsea took what, two years to come from a long way behind to league winners? After spending far less money and bringing in - if anything - a slightly lower calibre of player.

The idea that it will be 5 or 6 years before they're winning things is just wishful thinking tbh. I think it's completely deluded.

The point I'm making is that the jury is still out on them. They very well may win the title in the next couple of years. Or it may take a little longer. If Rooney is truly doing this for footballing reasons then he'd be far more likely to have immediate success at Barca/Madrid/Chelsea.

Also Chelsea were much much closer to the top of the table when they got the big bucks, comfortably the third best team in England after United and Arsenal and had won a heap of cups and regularly played in the CL, making the knock out stages even. And it took a genius of a manager to make the step up to the title.

City were relegation fodder three years ago and have won jack sh*t in 34 years. Big difference

Bravo man - I can't believe this isn't post of the day already :rolleyes:

Post of the day usually goes to either hard hitting statements of fact, or pure hilarity.

To say City are playing extremely well at the moment is worthy of an Edinburgh commentary award.

Why you would say that is totally baffling, so go on, enlighten me as to how they're playing extremely well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Rooney could do with getting out of the UK for so many aspects of his life. Media attention over personal life, media attention over form especially internationally has not done him any favours and he is aware that if he got a move to say Real he'd escape some of the glare he is under now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'm torn on this issue as a Man U fan. If Rooney's real reason for wanting to leave is the club's inability to sign top quality players I could understand it. Now I'm not fully sure this is his main reason. It's the popular reason to come up, and was already predicted by many on this forum yesterday that he would give this reason as it would be hard to criticise.

But let's not be cynical and assume that this is his one and only reason. It's not as if Rooney is playing fantastically well at the moment. We could have signed Messi, Villa, Ozil and everyone else this summer but the fact of the matter is Rooney is still playing ****e. United, even with the lack of new players, have been playing alright this season and, but for a few too many defensive mistakes, could be top of the league. If Rooney had been banging in a few goals to help the side rather than banging prostitutes instead we may well be top of the league. I'd like to see him sort his own form out, see how the team does this season, and then if he still feels the club is going nowhere leave in the summer.

Now I have a feeling that seeing other players, especially at City, earning much more than he does might also have a bearing on his decision. Again I'm torn as if I had the chance to double my wages I'd probably do it as well. But then again I'm not making a more than confortable living at the moment like he is.

The fact is he's on a good wage at a top club. Alright the club have financial difficulties but who's to say these won't be sorted sooner than later? He needs to ask himself does he want to move to a club like Real, City or Barca, earn plenty of money but be sitting on the bench far more than he does at United? Or should he just pull his socks up and do his best to get his current club back into trophy winning form.

He was in great form when he was riding that brasser if i have my dates right, maybe his problem is that he's not riding the brassers anymore.:pac:

To say City are playing extremely well at the moment is worthy of an Edinburgh commentary award..
    Last winner of this was George Hamilton, so it's not to be sniffed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

He was in great form when he was riding that brasser if i have my dates right, maybe his problem is that he's not riding the brassers anymore.:pac:

A point I've been making for months now! :D Stick him back on the Tiger Woods training plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I thought as much yesterday, can't blame the guy for wanting out of a club on the decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

mars bar wrote: »
    It's quite clear we are not able to attract the calibre of player we once were...

To be honest Mars bar i don't think Manutd have ever been able to attract top class players.

Post of the day usually goes to either hard hitting statements of fact, or pure hilarity.

To say City are playing extremely well at the moment is worthy of an Edinburgh commentary award.

Why you would say that is totally baffling, so go on, enlighten me as to how they're playing extremely well.

Beat Chelsea, hammered Liverpool, drew with Spurs and Juventus, second in the EPL, motoring nicely in the Europa League. Solid enough defense despite a ton of injuries, attack just clicking into gear, a midfield that would wipe the floor with United's, the summer's major signings starting to settle in.

Compared to United throwing away 2 goal leads to the likes of West Brom I'd say there's a few people at City who'd be happy to toss a George Clooney pic your way at the moment, assuming similar levels of pettiness at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It doesn't really matter what the truth is of why Rooney is leaving. Him saying that he's leaving because of lack of ambition in the transfer market is absolutely awful for the club. Even if we do have a mountain of money to spend, at the very least Rooney's statement is going to put off a lot of potential targets from coming here.

The really annoying thing is we still can't know if he's lying or not. If he goes to City and gets stupid wages it could still be argued that he went there for success. If United go out and spend big in January or the summer it could still be argued that that is only an emergency response to Rooney's departure.

Ah fúck all this shít. At least I'm now fully into hating Rooney mode.
    Fúck you Wayne.

mars bar wrote: »
    How is my post a head in the sand attitude?!

Nope, I was agreeing with your point and using it to help make my own...

Pro. F wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter what the truth is of why Rooney is leaving. Him saying that he's leaving because of lack of ambition in the transfer market is absolutely awful for the club. Even if we do have a mountain of money to spend, at the very least Rooney's statement is going to put off a lot of potential targets from coming here.

The really annoying thing is we still can't know if he's lying or not. If he goes to City and gets stupid wages it could still be argued that he went there for success. If United go out and spend big in January or the summer it could still be argued that that is only an emergency response to Rooney's departure.

Fúck you Wayne.

Yeah this is the bottom line really.

And in fairness, if he is genuine in saying that United aren't being ambitious in the transfer market he's only echoing the opinion of every single United fan that spent the Summer calling for Ozil, Benzema, Balotelli, Defour etc etc to be signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Beat Chelsea, hammered Liverpool, drew with Spurs and Juventus, second in the EPL, motoring nicely in the Europa League. Solid enough defense despite a ton of injuries, attack just clicking into gear, a midfield that would wipe the floor with United's, the summer's major signings starting to settle in.

Compared to United throwing away 2 goal leads to the likes of West Brom I'd say there's a few people at City who'd be happy to toss a George Clooney pic your way at the moment, assuming similar levels of pettiness at least.

Only three points ahead of United who are playing very poorly.

You dont think theres a difference between a good result and a good performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

And in fairness, if he is genuine in saying that United aren't being ambitious in the transfer market he's only echoing the opinion of every single United fan that spent the Summer calling for Ozil, Benzema, Balotelli, Defour etc etc to be signed up.

At my most optimistic, I'm hoping this is Wayne trying to force the issue.

Nope, I was agreeing with your point and using it to help make my own...

I see...

Out of interest, who do you support?

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »

You dont think theres a difference between a good result and a good performance?
    I think they were playing poorly, as a team, at the start of the season but have become a more cohesive unit recently. They haven't bee really tested in the face of adversity yet, so it's up in the air whether their mentality is correct or not. One thing is for sure, they haven't been playing like a team of individuals since (and including) the Liverpool match.

I think they were playing poorly, as a team, at the start of the season but have become a more cohesive unit recently. They haven't bee really tested in the face of adversity yet, so it's up in the air whether their mentality is correct or not. One thing is for sure, they haven't been playing like a team of individuals since (and including) the Liverpool match.

What about the last game against Blackpool?

Fuhrer wrote: »
    What about the last game against Blackpool?
    Didn't see it tbh.

Didn't see it tbh.

alright, well, they werent great.

Pro. F wrote: »

Fúck you Wayne.

Ha Ha , How naive are you if you think Rooneys comments would stop anyone moving to United. I'd be fairly sure the contract on offer would be the deciding factor rather than the mumblings of an x player who has had his head turned by the prospect of a mega cash deal. Most rational people will be well aware of whats happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

The whole thing is just baffling ,
    Rooney says he's leaving because we cant attract the big players and he's ambitious and want to win trophies:

since joining he has won 3 title's 2 lcups, 1 european cup , 1 fifa world club cup so in terms of ambition he couldn't have done much better as for attracting top players United buy players and turn them into stars.

as another poster mentioned he's jumping ship when the going is tough look at Torres and Fabregas, Torres has won zip with Liverpool and Fabregas a title and cup not even half the success Rooney has had and both are still at their clubs (for now..) the difference is United have been winning trophies consistently and were 1 point from a 4 in a row last season, so unlike them he cant complain.

SAF has rebuilt the squad several times over the last 2 decades and it smacks of short sightedness that he might not do so again.
    Even if SAF was to retire another manager might come in and be a huge success and carry on from where SAF left off.

If rooney is concerned with the debt as we all are he should just come out and say so but to say he's ambitions want to win trophies and wants big name stars around him just doesn't add up..

Players have come and gone but UTD remain and as long as the glazers dont drag us down to hell life goes on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote: »
    Ha Ha , How naive are you if you think Rooneys comments would stop anyone moving to United. I'd be fairly sure the contract on offer would be the deciding factor rather than the mumblings of an x player who has had his head turned by the prospect of a mega cash deal. Most rational people will be well aware of whats happening here.

I think he's referring to top class players. I heard schweinsteiger name mentioned in the United thread, do you really think he'd sign for United? I doubt he's creaming his pants at the prospect of playing with Bebe, Carrick, Anderson and Valencia.

Vanbis wrote: »
    To be honest Mars bar i don't think Manutd have ever been able to attract top class players.

Yeah, I suppose we were making the top class players ourselves! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I think he's referring to top class players. I heard schweinsteiger name mentioned in the United thread, do you really think he'd sign for United? I doubt he's creaming his pants at the prospect of playing with Bebe, Carrick, Anderson and Valencia.

because when he looks up to play a pass he see's players like klose and muller? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't know if he would or not but I'd doubt Rooneys comments would make any difference to whatever his current stance is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement