Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I've attacked no-one.
    I've commented on the situstion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

thegen wrote: »
    Easy to say now. Never heard a UTD supporter comment on it back then.

No one ever said he wasn't doing one over on Everton. As the recipient club, of course we would have no problem welcoming him, the same way Madrid won't have any problem welcoming him, but Everton fans had every right to label him Judas, and United fans have the exact same right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Archimedes wrote: »
    Find me a United fan who denied Rooney was being disloyal when he left Everton.

No Utd fans mentioned his disloyalty when he moved as they didnt care. No one cares now either but Utd fans. Why not, he was getting paid more and would have a better chances of winning things. The same reasons he wants to get out of Utd as he said today himself. Its what football players do.

Warper wrote: »
    No Utd fans mentioned his disloyalty when he moved as they didnt care. No one cares now either but Utd fans. Why not, he was getting paid more and would have a better chances of winning things. The same reasons he wants to get out of Utd as he said today himself. Its what football players do.

Emm, I didn't argue otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

doc_17 wrote: »
    imo (and I'm not looking to rag anyone) it's hypocritical for some fans to get angry at Rooney for wanting to leave. It's for the same reasons he left Everton to go to United in the first place. More money and a better chance of winning things. It's just that the shoe is on the other foot now. It's all about perspective.

I really think he should stay at United though. It would be best for him.

The problem I have with what Rooney is doing is that he is undermining the club at a time when we need our best players to perform for us.
    Also it should be noted that no club has the god given right to be successful all the time, most will fluctuate from success to relative underachievment.
    Manchester United have yet to finish outside the top three in any Premier League season and missed last years title by a single point, previous to that we won the league three years on the trot.

I have no time for the owners of the club and I feel every effort should be made to oust them as quickly as possible, but it is never down to the players to accuse the club they are playing for of being unambitious, no matter how true it may seem to be.

I feel there are a number of players who are not right for United who are in the side right now and replacements are needed.
    What doesn't help us is our star striker publicly undermining those players (in much the same way Roy Keane did in 2005), and I would suggest that his poor attitude this season has been affecting an already average side and perhaps poisoning the dressing room.

As much as I can agree with Rooney's assessment of the state of the club I can never accept that he is right to be the one to say it.
    To a degree I see this episode as having a very poor reflection on Rooneys personality.
    I saw United ship out three of our top players in 1995 (Ince, Hughes, Kanchelkis) we then saw a crew of unproven youngsters take their place, I don't recall Eric Cantona handing in a transfer request because Fergie wasn't getting the cheque book out to sign more established players.

It's pretty clear now that Rooney has worn the red of manchester United for the last time, as for his options with regards to fulfilling his "ambitions" it's looking likely to be City and City only and the fact that this story broke at all suggests that the deal is already in place.

Ambition to win trophies is a fantastic trait in a player, but the rest of what Rooney has displayed in this sorry tale is a litany of poor personality traits that don't bode well for his future employers.

Stating that he respects the clubs traditions whilst at the same time making a mockery of it is laughable.
    Only a huge portion of humble pie and a crawling on hands and knees apology will suffice now and thats more than a longshot.

Glazers Out!

davyjose wrote: »
    And yet yourself, recyclingbin and chucky have spent the guts of the last two days here trolling and goading united fans, with unabashed glee.

Yeah ... classy!

No I havn't, what I have been posting is what I believe to be the truth. I have not deliberately set out to troll or whatever people view it as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is this a new thing? you have to say players your club sign are disloyal to their previous club, I can't see it catching on can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

mike65 wrote: »
    Hilarious and rather expensive looking posters there. Glossy? Whatever happened to a white sheet and paintbrush?

Yeah wtf is the story with that.
    They're canvas with vynal print if I'm not mistaken and they've got the brass bound eyelets and everything. Crazy over the top amount of money.

(BTW I'm not a poster materials nerd, I used to order them up in my old job.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

No one ever said he wasn't doing one over on Everton. As the recipient club, of course we would have no problem welcoming him, the same way Madrid won't have any problem welcoming him, but Everton fans had every right to label him Judas, and United fans have the exact same right now.

What I said was laughable was that no UTD fans came out and slagged him off for jumping ship, but now feel let down by him. How sad for them. My heart bleeds.

°°°°°

Exactly, Rooney knows he's open to abuse now and when he's playing for City he'll just have to take the abuse as part and parcel of his actions.
    It shouldn't come as a surprise to him after leaving the toffees.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Pro. F wrote: »
    They're canvas with vynal print if I'm not mistaken and they've got the brass bound eyelets and everything. Crazy over the top amount of money.

I'm sure a club as big as United is bound to have some fans working in the printing business somewhere.

Glazers Out!

What I said was laughable was that no UTD fans came out and slagged him off for jumping ship, but now feel let down by him. How sad for them. My heart bleeds.

How is it laughable?

Are we going to turn down a £30 million talent because we feel he's turned his back on his old club? My bollox we are. United fans realised the way he treated Everton, and while not admirable, we were just happy to have Rooney, and Everton fans were justified in their hatred of him.

The shoe isn't on the other foot at all, because we never said Everton shouldn't hate him, the same way it's laughable that people are saying United fans shouldn't now.

Wayne Rooney would avoid all labels of disloyalty if he wasn't so premature in his statements.

That's two clubs and a wife he's now committed the rest of his life to, and backed away from. He's a coward and a fraud and deserves all the criticism he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'm sure you have some point to make here, I'm just not seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

nullzero wrote: »
    Exactly, Rooney knows he's open to abuse now and when he's playing for City he'll just have to take the abuse as part and parcel of his actions.
    It shouldn't come as a surprise to him after leaving the toffees.

500k a week will get him plenty of security anyway even after hookers, ciggies and presents for the missus. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

You can get them free off vistaprint these days. Is easier than daubing a sheet with whatever paint ya have in the garage and reduces the risk of mis-spellings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Can somebody please explain to me what loyalty has to do with it?

He's didn't grow up supporting Manchester United, he's not even a Mancunian.

United paid him a lot of money to play football for them during which time they won many league titles, a Champions League and came runner up in the same tournament the season after. Why does he owe Manchester United anything? What does loyalty have to do with it?

If he wants to move on and earn more money at a club where he has more chance of winning trophies then why can't people respect that?

I think UTD fans need to forget about Rooney now. He has obviously upset an awful lot of them and putting it in the past is the best option. Can anyone see him playing for UTD before he's sold????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Willl rooney play again for Man u,?
    can he me loaded out until he's sold >?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think UTD fans need to forget about Rooney now. He has obviously upset an awful lot of them and putting it in the past is the best option. Can anyone see him playing for UTD before he's sold????

How can we put it behind us? he's gonna be a United player until January and the stories are gonna go on and on and on...

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    He's didn't grow up supporting Manchester United, he's not even a Mancunian.

Nothing got to do with being loyal to a club, it's about being loyal to your word.

"Once a blue, always a blue"
    "I've always said that I'd like to end my career at Manchester United"
    "I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health"

°°°°°

jaykay74 wrote: »
    500k a week will get him plenty of security anyway even after hookers, ciggies and presents for the missus. :)

Thats what the modern game is all about after all.

Glazers Out!

How is it laughable?

Are we going to turn down a £30 million talent because we feel he's turned his back on his old club? My bollox we are. United fans realised the way he treated Everton, and while not admirable, we were just happy to have Rooney, and Everton fans were justified in their hatred of him.

The shoe isn't on the other foot at all, because we never said Everton shouldn't hate him, the same way it's laughable that people are saying United fans shouldn't now.

Wayne Rooney would avoid all labels of disloyalty if he wasn't so premature in his statements.

That's two clubs and a wife he's now committed the rest of his life to, and backed away from. He's a coward and a fraud and deserves all the criticism he gets.

You see why people find this whole thing funny. If I posted that a week ago I would have been cornered from all angles by Utd. fans. How fickle fans are.

Nothing got to do with being loyal to a club, it's about being loyal to your word.

"I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health"
    TBF,
    he'll be a blue again soon enough.
    He is ending his career at Man Utd.
    We don't know what vows he took.

Now were judging footballers ion their word. Lol just lol!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The sooner he's forgotten about, the better. Maybe in time he'll do a u-turn and we'll all fall back in love with him - same as liverpool did with gerrard everytime he wanted to go to chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

wayne rooooney , wayne rooooney , he kissed the crest , then put in a transfer request , wayne rooooney

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The Muppet wrote: »
    You got to be a pedant to play the game.

It is not pedantic. You said something that was wrong. I disagreed with that. You then changed what you were saying without acknowledging it.

Your cries of pedantism are laughable. You are clearly just incapable of carrying out a discussion sensibly.

Edit: Lots of people on this forum have to endure this when discussing things with you.

It is not pedantic. You said something that was wrong. I disagreed with that. You then changed what you were saying without acknowledging it.

Your cries of pedantism are laughable. You are clearly just incapable of carrying out a discussion properly.
    Pedantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I've always said that i'd like to end my career at Manchester United is not a vow or a promise, is it?

Once a blue always a blue? Maybe he's still an Everton supporter? He was hardly going to play for Everton for all of his career was he? And if he did, it would display a distinct lack of ambition imvhaho.

His marriage vows are not relevant.

This thread makes me happy.

• Advertisement

Now were judging footballers ion their word. Lol just lol!!!!!!

How is it laughable?

Nobody is questioning his talent, all that is being question is his ability to make a commitment to a club.

How is that laughable when a transfer situation is being discussed?

You really aren't capable of a serious discussion are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

BERBA wrote: »
    wayne rooooney , wayne rooooney , he kissed the crest , then put in a transfer request , wayne rooooney

Berbaaaatov, Berbaaaatov took a look at City Spurs and he said fúck off.

I can type childish songs as well, aren't I great.

I know loyalty may or may not be an issue but if he does not put in a transfer request he will get his loyalty bonus which will take a chunk off the transfer value.

Arch , I am being serious . UTD supporters taking the high moral ground is comical, jaysus bring back the PD's. He wants to leave for the same reasons he left Everton, het over it. His personal life should not come into it.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Berbaaaatov, Berbaaaatov took a look at City Spurs and he said fúck off.

I can type childish songs as well, aren't I great.

agh but my friend berbatov is the only worldclass player that will be left while all the rest are leaving.........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Your cries of pedantism are laughable. You are clearly just incapable of carrying out a discussion sensibly.

Edit: Lots of people on this forum have to endure this when discussing things with you.

You cant quite grasp the concept of the bottom line can you?

Nobodys forcing you to endure anything, you have choices.;)

agh but my friend berbatov is the only worldclass player that will be left while all the rest are leaving.........................

The rest?
    Vidic, Rio and Evra all seem happy enough..

Pedantry.

Hate to be a pedant but..

Ped´ant`ism
    n. 1. The office, disposition, or act of a pedant; pedantry.

Seems perfectly valid to me. Anyway, back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The rest?

How many years do you think Ferdinand has left? Actually, how many games do you think he'll play this year?

The rest?

i was on about the other end of the pitch.....

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Ped´ant`ism

Wow, do you think that its possible that the real reason Rooney wants out is the poor grammar at United?

Glazers Out!

The rest?

True but the danger is if Rooney goes surely those type of players will be asking themselves the same question (not publicly) that Rooney has just asked. When are we going to bring in world-class players?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Don't worry, we have a good feeder club in london that'll produce a few more for us;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Don't worry, we have a good feeder club in london that'll produce a few more for us;)

If the likes of Carrick you like being fed...

nullzero wrote: »
    Wow, do you think that its possible that the real reason Rooney wants out is the poor grammar at United?

Doubt it, the lad doesn't often finish a sentence without sticking an errrrm in somewhere.

Ped´ant`ism

I think in the context of his sentence, that I'm correct.
    Anyway, back on track.

keep giving us 19m and we'll keep feeding ye Carricks!

True but the danger is if Rooney goes surely those type of players will be asking themselves the same question (not publicly) that Rooney has just asked. When are we going to bring in world-class players?

Vidic has proved that he wants to stay during the summer.
    You'd swear Evra grew up up on the door-step of Old Trafford the way he goes on about the club in interviews.
    Ferdinand- I can't ever see him leave, tbh.

Changing you're argument?
    You said world class, I named 3. United have scored 18 goals this season, joint second in the league. Not bad, tbf.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    How many years do you think Ferdinand has left? Actually, how many games do you think he'll play this year?

TBH, I think he'll play most PL games and important CL games, won't play any unneccesary games, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Just got home from a couple of days away so I haven't been able to read all of this thread so appologies if this is repeating something already discussed.

My take on this as a Manchester United fan for life is that Rooney is basically bottling it. From his statement tonight when he complains about the investment in the team, he is basically saying he is not good enough to carry Man Utd on his back and he would prefer to go to a club where he will be paid more money and there will be more "galacticos" to carry the team.

Obviously the Glazer debt has played a big part in the money from the Ronaldo sale not being spent. But I also believe that Ferguson accepted that because he had Rooney to step into the breach. Ronaldo was brilliant for Utd and he was definitely the main man which meant that Rooney was often played out of position.

So when Ronaldo left, Rooney became the main striker and the focal point of the team and he excelled until March. But all of a sudden after a dip in form, he wants to leave when the club is struggling. So after becoming the focal point of the team he suddenly realises that he is not good enough to carry the weight of expectation and he wants to run off to Madrid or whoever so that he can go back to his comfort zone behind Ronaldo or whoever.

Surely if Rooney really believed he was one of the true elite players, he would have confidence in his own ability to take the club forward. Obviously he either doesn't have that confidence, or he just wants a big payday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'm sure he would, but I'm sure he also wants to win as many trophies as possible more.

What did United fans expect him to do when Gill gave him no assurances over future spending? Sign a contract anyway and then demand a transfer in a years time? It seems like it's a no win situation with the fans, at least he's being honest now instead of signing a new contract for extra ££££ for a few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement