Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Just got home from a couple of days away so I haven't been able to read all of this thread so appologies if this is repeating something already discussed.

My take on this as a Manchester United fan for life is that Rooney is basically bottling it. From his statement tonight when he complains about the investment in the team, he is basically saying he is not good enough to carry Man Utd on his back and he would prefer to go to a club where he will be paid more money and there will be more "galacticos" to carry the team.

Obviously the Glazer debt has played a big part in the money from the Ronaldo sale not being sent. But I also believe that Ferguson accepted that because he had Rooney to step into the breach. Ronaldo was brilliant for Utd and he was definitely the main man which meant that Rooney was often played out of position.

So when Ronaldo left, Rooney became the main striker and the focal point of the team and he excelled until March. But all of a sudden after dip in form he wants to leave when the club is struggling. So after becoming the focal point of the team he suddenly realises that he is not good enough to carry the weight of expectation and he wants to run off to Madrid or whoever so that he can go back to his comfort zone behind Ronaldo or whoever.

Surely if Rooney really believed he was one of the true elite players, he would have confidence in his own ability to take the club forward. Obviously he either doesn't have that confidence or he just wants a big payday.

Bang on.
    I posted at length earlier and I mentioned how Eric Cantona rose to the challenge of guiding a team of youngsters after three huge players had left the club in the space of one summer (Ince, hughes and kanchelskis), Rooney obviously isn't up to the challenge.
    You cant win everything every year and part of being a top player is maintaining a decent level of performance even when your side isn't riding the crest of a wave as well as being "big" enough to help your side through tough times.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Warper wrote: »
    Very good point but some Utd. fans are so blinkered they can't see this. They can't handle the fact that they are not a big enough club now for players like Rooney so they resort to lowlife personal blows against the guy and his wife. That goes for all the typical heads that actually thanked the thread with that poster on the previous page.

I can handle the fact that United could well be being pushed out of the top tier by the likes of City and Chelsea. I can handle the fact that the club could be headed for financial castration in the transfer market.

There is still plenty of good reason to be pissed off at Rooney. He has won 3 PLs and a CL in the recent past at United. He is paid more money than he will ever need and he plays under one of the best managers of all time. He has said that he loves the club and that he wants to stay here for his whole career. Then all of a sudden, when things start looking a little tricky he wants to bail out? Fúck him.

If you want to point out that this is what should be expected from him then fair enough. But trying to say that United fans shouldn't be pissed off is fupping stupid.

Everton fans had a bloody good reason to be pissed off with him. Now United fans do too. Loyalty was obviously never one of his strong points but at least in the past there was some mitigating circumstances. He was moving from a club where he would never have won anything in his career. Now he has won everything possible in club football but he still wants to move on at the slightest sign of trouble (or so he claims anyway).

And on the ''lowlife personal blows'' thing, get the fúck over yourself man. Do you go onto every thread on this board and give out about fans throwing personal insults at players? Do you fúck. You're just happy to get a free dig in at United fans. Well done, a round of applause for you.

He has courted publicity in his private life for financial gain in the past so it's more than fair game now that he gets that thrown back in his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just got home from a couple of days away so I haven't been able to read all of this thread so appologies if this is repeating something already discussed.

My take on this as a Manchester United fan for life is that Rooney is basically bottling it. From his statement tonight when he complains about the investment in the team, he is basically saying he is not good enough to carry Man Utd on his back and he would prefer to go to a club where he will be paid more money and there will be more "galacticos" to carry the team.

Obviously the Glazer debt has played a big part in the money from the Ronaldo sale not being spent. But I also believe that Ferguson accepted that because he had Rooney to step into the breach. Ronaldo was brilliant for Utd and he was definitely the main man which meant that Rooney was often played out of position.

So when Ronaldo left, Rooney became the main striker and the focal point of the team and he excelled until March. But all of a sudden after a dip in form, he wants to leave when the club is struggling. So after becoming the focal point of the team he suddenly realises that he is not good enough to carry the weight of expectation and he wants to run off to Madrid or whoever so that he can go back to his comfort zone behind Ronaldo or whoever.

Surely if Rooney really believed he was one of the true elite players, he would have confidence in his own ability to take the club forward. Obviously he either doesn't have that confidence, or he just wants a big payday.

He should carry the club on his back? Like Messi does it at Barcalona, and Ronaldo does it Madrid because both are surronded by average players? If United has reached the stage where they need one players to carry the club on his back they're really in trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

His wife may have given him an ultimatum along the lines of: "Wayne, you've humiliated me with your antics in Manchester. If you want to save our marriage, we have to move to London/Madrid/Barcelona because I can't face the people of Manchester."

If this is the case, I can understand it.

But if this is just a Paul Stretford inspired play to move to City in order to earn £250,000 a week, then I'm disgusted by Rooney's behaviour.

I hope Hernandez turn out to be the next Pele and the City circus ends as it should...in ruins.

The Muppet wrote: »
    You cant quite grasp the concept of the bottom line can you?

Nobodys forcing you to endure anything, you have choices.;)
    Indeed I do. I choose to be stuburn and show you how you post utter shíte.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    He has won 3 PLs and 2 CLs in the recent past at United.

I must have missed that 4th European Cup win...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LOL The sad thing about this is it will run and run and run.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

°°°°°

His wife may have given him an ultimatum along the lines of: "Wayne, you've humiliated me with your antics in Manchester. If you want to save our marriage, we have to move to London/Madrid/Barcelona because I can't face the people of Manchester."

If this is the case, I can understand it.

But if this is just a Paul Stretford inspired play to move to City in order to earn £250,000 a week, then I'm disgusted by Rooney's behaviour.

I hope Hernandez turn out to be the next Pele and the City circus ends as it should...in ruins.

Hernadez looks like he could well be the real deal.
    City were already on the road to respectablity before they were taken over, good home grown players, decent performances, then the money arrives and they ditched those lads for big name mercenaries and the fans love it.
    I hope they don't win as much as a corner for as long as it takes for their owners to get bored, pull their money out and buy a baseball franchise in the U.S

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So, you were happy to get him after being disloyal to the club he actually supports and to have him when he cheated(grannys) on his partner before?

There's an old saying, if you raise a snake, expect to get bitten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I still want to know if Fergie had anything in particular in mind when he said "We're going to put this to bed tomorrow" in that interview after the match

• Advertisement

I think in the context of his sentence, that I'm correct.
    Anyway, back on track.

I think the sentence I wrote actually is correct. But I changed my own meaning by mistake by using the wrong word.

Who'd have thought the word pedant could cause such pedantry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

He should carry the club on his back? Like Messi does it at Barcalona, and Ronaldo does it Madrid because both are surronded by average players? If United has reached the stage where they need one players to carry the club on his back they're really in trouble.

I take your point and I wasn't suggesting that the other players around Messi or Ronaldo are average. But when Ronaldo was at Utd, a lot of people were saying that as good as he was, it was holding Rooney back because he was being played out of position.

Now all of a sudden Rooney is the main man and after the first bit of hardship he wants out so that he can go to another team with players like Ronaldo who can allow him to do his thing in the background.

Surely if Rooney believed in his talent to the extent that he has been hyped, he would believe in his ability to carry Utd on his shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

nullzero wrote: »
    I hope they don't win as much as a corner for as long as it takes for their owners to get bored, pull their money out and buy a baseball franchise in the U.S

I cant see them winning much in the next couple of years,they will do very well to finish in the top 4 in the PL this season.
    Blackpool played them off the pitch last weekend.

Ush1 wrote: »
    So, you were happy to get him after being disloyal to the club he actually supports and to have him when he cheated(grannys) on his partner before?

There's an old saying, if you raise a snake, expect to get bitten.

If you were to follow that through to its logical conclusion then United should never buy players in Rooney's circumstances again.

The truth is this shít happens. It's still normal for United fans to be pissed off though.

I must have missed that 4th European Cup win...

Duh my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I still want to know if Fergie had anything in particular in mind when he said "We're going to put this to bed tomorrow" in that interview after the match

Yeah, it'll be interesting. Seems to me that rooney's happy to wage war on ferguson, with the statement today. I can see ferguson coming out and telling the press exactly what's happened so far, he might have been protecting rooney with what he said yesterday, but from the way he said he only saw bits of rooney's statement you could tell he wasn't happy with it, and didn't want to discuss it.

Rooney leaves, Hernandez steps up to the plate and Man United never die. I trust Fergie implicitly.

If you were to follow that through to its logical conclusion then United should never buy players in Rooney's circumstances again.

The truth is this shít happens. It's still normal for United fans to be pissed off though.

Yep, or always have reservations about players. Never, ever believe they are some shining light of virtue or you'll often be disapointed.

'Cept Messi, he's a God.:pac:

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yep, or always have reservations about players. Never, ever believe they are some shining light of virtue or you'll often be disapointed.

'Cept Messi, he's a God.:pac:

Meh, I'd rather idolise players and then despise them if they leave. Tis more fun.

Meh, I'd rather idolise players and then despise them if they leave. Tis more fun.

Depends who you're idolising.

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Man United boss Sir Alex Ferguson: "I haven't read Wayne Rooney's statement, but we'll have a view on it tomorrow and probably put it to bed tomorrow. As I said, the door is open. We keep good players, particularly when they are that young. He wants assurances? Have I won 30 trophies or what?!"

Did he actually say that last bit?! I saw the interview but didn't hear that bit. That's mad. Good man Fergie.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope Fergie stays around for another good while yet. As long as he doesn't put his health at risk that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

its like berb bumping in to fergie in the airport that time he signed for utd , me thinks rooney has bumped in to mancini in that same airport!

I take your point and I wasn't suggesting that the other players around Messi or Ronaldo are average. But when Ronaldo was at Utd, a lot of people were saying that as good as he was, it was holding Rooney back because he was being played out of position.

Now all of a sudden Rooney is the main man and after the first bit of hardship he wants out so that he can go to another team with players like Ronaldo who can allow him to do his thing in the background.

Surely if Rooney believed in his talent to the extent that he has been hyped, he would believe in his ability to carry Utd on his shoulders.

I'd say Rooney prefers scoring 30+ goals a season for teams then being in the background. Rooney was never one to hype himself up so much, the media did so who knows he if believes it. :confused:

No player in the world can carry a team on his shoulders to Premier leagues and Champions league if that team won't spend money in the transfer market. Look at Fabregas, he's tried it at Arsenal and it hasn't gotten him many medals. Rooney asked for assurances from Gill and wasn't given any. If I was a United fan I'd be far more angry at the Glazers then Rooney.

I'd say Rooney prefers scoring 30+ goals a season for teams then being in the background. Rooney was never one to hype himself up so much, the media did so who knows he if believes it. :confused:

No player in the world can carry a team on his shoulders to Premier leagues and Champions league if that team won't spend money in the transfer market. Look at Fabregas, he's tried it at Arsenal and it hasn't gotten him many medals. Rooney asked for assurances from Gill and wasn't given any. If I was a United fan I'd be far more angry at the Glazers then Rooney.

Who is Rooney to look for assurances?

Wayne Rooney: "Will we compete with City and Real to sign the world's top talent?"

David Gill: "No, because neither City nor Real is run on a commercial footing. The former are subsidised by a Sheikh and the latter are subsidised by corrupt sweetheart property deals from the local government and soft loans from the Spanish banks. We cannot compete with that nor should we try. However, we've the best manager in the world and we're happy to back him in the transfer market when we all feel that a deal's worth doing"

I'm a United fan and all of my anger is directed at Rooney.

°°°°°

You can't be a successful every season, sometimes not for a long time.
    Rooney should be knuckling down and digging his club out when they need him instead of reinventing himself as some sort of gun for hire who's only in it for the shiney pots.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Perhaps 'carry the team on his shoulders' is the wrong phrase. However, most succesful teams have one player that it all revolves around. Chelsea have Drogba, City have Tevez, Arsenal have Fabregas, Real have Ronaldo, Inter have Sneijder and Barca have Messi. And Utd had Ronaldo and then Rooney took over that mantle.

My point is that he won't be "that guy" at most other clubs and it will revert back to when Ronaldo was at Utd and Rooney was (for want of a better word) his sidekick. Now it is fine if that is what Rooney wants but a truly great player should be able to step up to the mark and take over the mantle as the main man without running off to be back in the shadow of others.

And it is not like he is surrounded by nothing players at Utd. With a fully fit frontline, Utd are a really strong team.

Of course, I could be completely wrong but I just think it shows a lack of confidence from Rooney that he can ever be "the guy" at a top club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Can Rooney stay at UTD if all was ironed out to his satisfaction????

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not a fan of either club but why do city deserve to be in ruins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

We should know the deal by tomorrow afternoon.

Ben Hibbs reporting for ManUtd.com:
    Sir Alex: "We'll put it to bed tomorrow. I've a meeting at 10am with David Gill who spoke to owners tonight. We don't want it to become a saga"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

fmjr.gif

Been drinking this thing in the past couple of days. The Rooney statement was extraordinary really. If he leaves, Utd will have taken a momentous step backwards in the space of two and half years. "In Ferguson we trust" I'll hear you cry, but the odds are stacked against him in ways they never were in the late eighties.

It's money time in football baby, and Utd have none.

Who is Rooney to look for assurances?

Wayne Rooney: "Will we compete with City and Real to sign the world's top talent?"

David Gill: "No, because neither City nor Real is run on a commercial footing. The former are subsidised by a Sheikh and the latter are subsidised by corrupt sweetheart property deals from the local government and soft loans from the Spanish banks. We cannot compete with that nor should we try. However, we've the best manager in the world and we're happy to back him in the transfer market when we all feel that a deal's worth doing"

I'm a United fan and all of my anger is directed at Rooney.

I'd hazard a guess it was a bit more in-depth then that. If I was him I'd have asked the following..

- Why did we only spent £17m replacing Ronaldo and Tevez?
    - Van Der Sar, Giggs and Scholes are gone next year, do we have targets lined up to replace them?
    - Any plans to strengthen midfield? Hargreaves is a crock, Carrick form has been very poor for a year and Anderson hasn't lived up to the hype yet.
    - how much do we have to spend next summer?
    - What if Fergie doesn't see "any value" in the transfer market next summer, do we just not buy anyone again and slip further back?
    -

People seem to forget this happend in August, when there was still a question mark over whether Berbatov could do a job and no one new Hernandaz I really fail to see why it's so crazy Rooney wants assurances and when he didn't get them he refused to sign a contract.
    nullzero wrote: »
    You can't be a successful every season, sometimes not for a long time.
    Rooney should be knuckling down and digging his club out when they need him instead of reinventing himself as some sort of gun for hire who's only in it for the shiney pots.

I don't think that's an acceptable answer for a world class player to be honest. How many world class players stay at clubs who are not winning trophies or who won't invest to keep up with the competition? Rooney is entering his prime years, I think he should make sure he's at the best club to meet his needs which is success.
    Perhaps 'carry the team on his shoulders' is the wrong phrase. However, most succesful teams have one player that it all revolves around. Chelsea have Drogba, City have Tevez, Arsenal have Fabregas, Real have Ronaldo, Inter have Sneijder and Barca have Messi. And Utd had Ronaldo and then Rooney took over that mantle.

My point is that he won't be "that guy" at most other clubs and it will revert back to when Ronaldo was at Utd and Rooney was (for want of a better word) his sidekick. Now it is fine if that is what Rooney wants but a truly great player should be able to step up to the mark and take over the mantle as the main man without running off to be back in the shadow of others.

And it is not like he is surrounded by nothing players at Utd. With a fully fit frontline, Utd are a really strong team.

Of course, I could be completely wrong but I just think it shows a lack of confidence from Rooney that he can ever be "the guy" at a top club.

Look at those teams you mentioned, far more quality in their teams then United have.

Chelsea - Lampard, Anelka, Terry, Cole and Essien are all excellent players, some of the best in Europe at there position and they've money to invest if needed. Tried hard to get Torres in the summer.

City - Silva, Yaya, Kompany, Hart, De Jong, Adam Johnson etc. Not much world class talent yet but some excellent players and we all know they spend big in January and the summer. Already they seem on course for CL football and could challenge for a title this year.

Barca - Xavi, villa, Iniesta, Mascherano, Alves etc etc. World class team, bought in Mascherano during the summer and went after Fabregas too. These guys aren't resting on their laurels.

Real - Alonso, Higuan, Kaka, Ozil, Khaderia, Di maria etc etc. Again, world class all over. Spend €50m on 3 world class players in the summer.

Inter - Don't much on Italian teams but Zanetti, Lucio, Maicon, and Milito aren't to shabby. Plus they've just won the treble.

United - Vidic, Evra and that's it in my opinion. Nani is to inconsistent and Berbatov has looked great this season but this was all done in August and last season he wasn't great. When you're a top class forward and you're only other top class players are defenders it has to be depressing.

Seriously - How many from Flethcer, Carrick, Valencia, Berbatov, Anderson would get into those teams? A couple into City's side but they'll just end up buying better players in the summer.

The reason Fabregas wants to leave is the same on Rooney does, he wants medals. He showed last season he can be "that guy" he just doesn't want to do it while finishing 3rd or 4th in the league and losing at the quarter final stage of the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

thegen wrote: »
    Can Rooney stay at UTD if all was ironed out to his satisfaction????

Of course he could but the fans will never feel the same about him, I doubt he'll change his mind.

I don't think that's an acceptable answer for a world class player to be honest. How many world class players stay at clubs who are not winning trophies or who won't invest to keep up with the competition? Rooney is entering his prime years, I think he should make sure he's at the best club to meet his needs which is success.

Plenty, Gerrard and Reina have stayed at Liverpool who have won nothing since 06, Arsenals the same, I didn't see any of Citys players looking to leave when they failed to qualify for the CL this season, the ambition spin is all bull****.

Plenty, Gerrard and Reina have stayed at Liverpool who have won nothing since 06, Arsenals the same, I didn't see any of Citys players looking to leave when they failed to qualify for the CL this season, the ambition spin is all bull****.

Hindsight Muppet, hindsight.

The point was they thought they could win trophies there, sure Torres stayed and he could have got more money elsewhere, but seeing as he dropped wages to join Liverpool, he is the rare exception.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

I hope Fergie comes out tomorrow and says that if he is intent on leaving then he has played his last game in a utd shirt and he is left to rot from now until January. I wouldn't even give him a game in the reserves.

I absolutely idolise Rooney as a player and will be devastated when he goes but he has f#cked all this up himself. I think he is genuinely one of the best in the world and cant think of anyone I'd rather in the team when firing on all cylinders (messi excepted) but if he's determined to shaft utd then bollix to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone who thinks than when Rooney says 'ambition', that he doesn't mean 'money', is deluded.

how the fúck can Rooney possibly know how it's going to go for the club, even if they can't spend as big as Chelsea and City, especially just after having his greatest ever season at club level?

this all after, a matter of months ago, claiming he was at the best club in the world and wanted to stay for life? it's changed that much in a few short months?

such a load of utter bollox.

K-9 wrote: »
    Hindsight Muppet, hindsight.

The point was they thought they could win trophies there, sure Torres stayed and he could have got more money elsewhere, but seeing as he dropped wages to join Liverpool, he is the rare exception.

Heres your answer from a fellow pool supporter.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    anyone who thinks than when Rooney says 'ambition', that he doesn't mean 'money', is deluded.

how the fúck can Rooney possibly know how it's going to go for the club, even if they can't spend as big as Chelsea and City, especially just after having his greatest ever season at club level?

this all after, a matter of months ago, claiming he was at the best club in the world and wanted to stay for life? it's changed that much in a few short months?

such a load of utter bollox.

the ambition spin is all bull****.

Its all about the Benjamins.
    Rooneys mind has been poisoned by his insidious agent .

is anyone else getting banned when they thank posts, it's happenned me a few times this evening , I have to refresh to get back in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Its all about the Benjamins.
    Rooneys mind has been poisoned by his insidious agent .

the same little a$$ fcuik that told him to leave Everton.....!

• Advertisement

Gerrard is Liverpool born and was raised through the club so it's a bit different, but twice already he's nearly left us. It's harder for keepers to move around. If he did want to leave who'd be willing to pay the £10m+ transfer fee?

Barca, Inter, Real and City don't need to spend money on a keeper. Chelsea would be happy to keep the money and stick with Cech, Arsenal and every other team is a sideways step is terms of winning trophies. Of course City players didn't look to leave this summer, they saw there manager spend £100m on players this summer and brought in the likes of Silva, Toure, Balotelli and Millner. It's obvious the club is moving forward rapidly in the right direction.

Gerrard is Liverpool born and was raised through the club so it's a bit different, but twice already he's nearly left us. It's harder for keepers to move around. If he did want to leave who'd be willing to pay the £10m+ transfer fee?

Barca, Inter, Real and City don't need to spend money on a keeper. Chelsea would be happy to keep the money and stick with Cech, Arsenal and every other team is a sideways step is terms of winning trophies. Of course City players didn't look to leave this summer, they saw there manager spend £100m on players this summer and brought in the likes of Silva, Toure, Balotelli and Millner. It's obvious the club is moving forward rapidly in the right direction.

Have you seen a league table recently.;)

They were interested too.

Have you seen a league table recently.;)

They were interested too.

What does the league table have to do with anything? The fact you bolded it should make it pretty obvious, even to you. ;)

Heres your answer from a fellow pool supporter.

I agree that money is a big part of it, you are saying it is all of it.

Your City example is poor as well. City have money to burn, United don't.

the same little a$$ fcuik that told him to leave Everton.....!
    Yes the same slime ball .
    Incidentally Stretford recently finished a ban imposed by the FA.
    He was charged by the FA with nine breaches of agents' regulations.
    In July 2008 he was found guilty on seven of those charges by an independent commission, banned for 18 months and fined £300,000.
    Stretford was then sacked by Proactive and set up Triple S Sports - looking exclusively after the interests of Rooney and wife Coleen.
    On May 1st 2009 he accepted a 9-month ban after a rejected appeal in December 2008.
    Obviously he wants to make up for lost time and sees dollar signs .

What does the league table have to do with anything? The fact you bolded it should make it pretty obvious, even to you. ;)

Do you honestly believe that the current Liverpool squad is on a par with Arsenals?

Gerrard's move to Chelsea was financilly motivated, other factors came into play and he didn't go.

K-9 wrote: »
    I agree that money is a big part of it, you are saying it is all of it.

Your City example is poor as well. City have money to burn, United don't.

Well if city are the yardstick no other team not even chelsea are in the same ball park.

Do you honestly believe that the current Liverpool squad is on a par with Arsenals?

Gerrard's move to Chelsea was financilly motivated, other factors came into play and he didn't go.

I never said Liverpools squad was on par with Arsenals, I said moving to Arsenal was a sideways step in terms of winning tophies, when was the last time they won one?

Lol, I suppose you asked him this?

I never said Liverpools squad was on par with Arsenals, I said moving to Arsenal was a sideways step in terms of winning tophies, when was the last time they won one?

Lol, I suppose you asked him this?

The better the squad the more chance you have of winning something No?

He told me personally.

Well if city are the yardstick no other team not even chelsea are in the same ball park.

Chelsea are an aging squad, It's the potential of City that would be the clincher.

Hell, Liverpool could beat Citys offer if they want, isn't going to make a difference. Liverpool are rebuilding, City aren't that far away from the finished article.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement