Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote: »
    The better the squad the more chance you have of winning something No?

He told me personally.

I'm sure he was happy to stick it out for another year at Pool to see if things changed instead of signing for a team who have a better squad but havent won a trophy in 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Look I hate saying this to people, but ye are in denial. Posters even this morning were saying how United had £150 Million to spend, sure Gill said so!

Rooney has outed the owners and their lies, there is no £150 Million, you will not see the Ronaldo money. It will be used to pay interest and for dividends for the Glazers to pay the PIKS.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm sure he was happy to stick it out for another year at Pool to see if things changed instead of signing for a team who have a better squad but havent won a trophy in 5 years.

Oh, he'll be off next summer so.

Unlikely, I think this summer we'll be on par with Arsenal.

Unlikely, I think this summer we'll be on par with Arsenal.

I'll have some of whatever you're on.

You can't compare Torres to Rooney. He is a rare example in todays game. The class and dignity of the man is second to none. Spot the difference........................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'll have some of whatever you're on.

they'll just build their new stadium and invest about £100m in the squad, they're 'debt free' now in case you haven't heard so they can finally plant that orchard of money trees in Anfield and move to Stanley Park. Maybe you just hadn't heard...

Liam O wrote: »
    they'll just build their new stadium and invest about £100m in the squad, they're 'debt free' now in case you haven't heard so they can finally plant that orchard of money trees in Anfield and move to Stanley Park. Maybe you just hadn't heard...

This is going a bit off topic now, the thread is about Rooney wanting to leave a club who won't match his ambitions and our possibly on the decline. ;)

Liam O wrote: »

This is exactly the point. Torres will probably leave because he wants to win trophies now and Pool will take time.

Rooney is leaving exactly for the same reasons, though not with class and dignity but sure we all know what he is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

K-9 wrote: »
    This is exactly the point. Torres will probably leave because he wants to win trophies now and Pool will take time.

Rooney is leaving exactly for the same reasons, though not with class and dignity but sure we all know what he is like.

Rooney has won everything there is to win in club football in England ,League,FA Cup,Carling Cup as well as Champions league.
    Torres has won nothing at club level in either Spain or England .
    The notion that Rooney is leaving to "win trophies" is balderdash .
    He is threatening to leave for money and no pr spin will veil that.

Rooney has won everything there is to win in club football in England ,League,FA Cup,Carling Cup as well as Champions league.
    Torres has won nothing at club level in either Spain or England .
    The notion that Rooney is leaving to "win trophies" is balderdash .
    He is threatening to leave for money and no pr spin will veil that.

To win more trophies.

Look he asked about the future of the club, he got his answer.Maybe he fell for the "£150 Million available to spend on players" nonsense that a good few fell for here, even a couple spouting it this morning and last night.

If he has had an other offer or been sounded out, he would weigh up the options.

Torres was nearly gone during the Summer too. Took Purslow to talk him round and I'd say he was told that new owners were on the way so maybe that swung it for him, plus he has a genuine affinity for the club, stayed with us despite never winning a trophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

torres rooney and fabregas should start there own team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I actually think rooney's decision is not financially motivated. He is in the worst form in his life and rather than knuckling down to get out of the rut he is in and sorting his personal life out, he is blaming uniteds set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Panic over, he's not going to City -

http://www.a-league.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=36055
    Fowler's Rooney mission
    Thursday, 21 October 2010
    by Adam Lucius, Sportal

The suitors lining up to entice disillusioned Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney away from Old Trafford are said to include Chelsea, Manchester City, Real Madrid ... and Hyundai A-League outfit Perth Glory.

If Liverpool legend and Glory marquee player Robbie Fowler is to be believed, Rooney is considering a move to the world's most isolated capital city to kick-start a career in freefall.

Rooney stunned United boss Sir Alex Ferguson this week by confirming rumours he wants out of the Red Devils.

The celebrated manager will keel over if his star player swaps the 'Field of Dreams' for Perth's 20,000-seat nib Stadium.

But Fowler, keeping a straight face, insists he talked to Rooney during a recent trip back to the UK and sold the England star on the benefits of a move to Perth.

"Everyone knows I went home (and) it's probably only just come out lately about Wayne Rooney, but being in the football know, I found out a couple of weeks ago (that he wanted to leave Manchester United)," Fowler said in a in-house interview for the Glory's website.

"I just had to come home and see if he'd be interested in coming to Perth."

"The signs were good. I was really pleased with the chat we had and we'll see where it takes us."

"I sold it to him and told him what a lovely place it is."

"I told him what I think about the city and he knows obviously all about a lot of the players.

"He's umming and ahhing at the minute, but it's looking good."

"He's very, very interested so watch this space."

If Rooney happens to lob on their doorstep, Perth Glory insist Fowler will still be there to greet him, although a club spokesperson was adamant in saying no official approach has been made for Rooney so far.

But deputy chairman Lui Giuliani said the idea wasn't as laughable as some may think.

"Well if and it's a big 'If', Wayne Rooney was out of contract, and Robbie Fowler could pull some strings we would love to have him at Perth Glory even as a guest," Giuliani said in a media release on Thursday afternoon.

"If I said four years ago that Robbie Fowler would be playing for Perth Glory, I’m sure many people would have had a laugh."

Glory's director of football David Mitchell also confirmed Fowler would see out his contract despite rumours of a rift between the player and new coach Ian Ferguson.

Fowler will line-up against cellar dwellers Sydney FC at nib Stadium on Sunday.

So Rooney wants win trophies.

Chelsea or Madrid it is then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Trophies me Arse.

It's not the first time someones greed got dressed up in a noble cause .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Amazing how everyone seems the "know" why Rooney is leaving.

Whether it is for money or trophies, it is very hypocritical of any United fan to beat him up over it as you were only too happy when it worked in your favour when he left Everton for the exact same reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So Rooney wants win trophies.

Chelsea or Madrid it is then

Meeeeeeow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

MaceFace wrote: »
    Amazing how everyone seems the "know" why Rooney is leaving.

Whether it is for money or trophies, it is very hypocritical of any United fan to beat him up over it as you were only too happy when it worked in your favour when he left Everton for the exact same reasons.

Football fans in hypocritical thinking shocker!!

After the break, we have a world exclusive "The Pope is Catholic" we have proof and indepth analysis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Iago wrote: »
    Football fans in hypocritical thinking shocker!!

After the break, we have a world exclusive "The Pope is Catholic" we have proof and indepth analysis

/rushes to jacks not to miss part 2 .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol @ anyone thinking it's to win more trophies. We were one point away from a record breaking 4 in a row. It's 2 months into the season and now he wants out because of ambition and desire to win trophies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

RasTa wrote: »
    lol @ anyone thinking it's to win more trophies. We were one point away from a record breaking 4 in a row. It's 2 months into the season and now he wants out because of ambition and desire to win trophies?

It's not an 8 month contract he is gonna be signing, he wants to see ambition going forward and with the state of the clubs finances he seems to have sought assurances that there would be significant funds available to replace the old guard and didn't get the answer he wanted.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It's not an 8 month contract he is gonna be signing, he wants to see ambition going forward and with the state of the clubs finances he seems to have sought assurances that there would be significant funds available to replace the old guard and didn't get the answer he wanted.

Why because we didn't win the league last year? I've no doubt in my mind if we did, the same would have happened. It's money and that's it as nothing else makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

K-9 wrote: »

i just can't agree with this, though i see where you're coming from.

yes, debt is a huge issue for Utd.

but in terms of the playing squad and manager they're in a different league to us right now really. unless Fergie has told Rooney he's leaving in a matter of months, and that the successor is someone of a sub-standard calibre, then there is no rational reason for Rooney to believe that Utd aren't ambitious.

Torres would be more than right to leave, because we've shown little or no ambition for 2/3 years, sacked a great manager for a journeyman, aren't in the Champions League, and show little sign of getting back in.

Rooney's getting out far, far earlier than that. unless he's Mystic Wayne in his spare time, he's no fúcking clue, and if he had any balls whatsoever he'd stay and try to lead the club into the next few years, which might be slightly more difficult.

i've no doubt that with a firing Wayne Rooney, under Fergie, United would be there or thereabouts for the forseeable future. it's not like the rest of the team is Championship standard.

like i say, Rooney is talking complete shíte.

that, or he's completely spineless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Why because we didn't win the league last year? I've no doubt in my mind if we did, the same would have happened. It's money and that's it as nothing else makes sense.

Because you didn't win the league last year and numerous players in your squad are at their sell by date and will need serious replacing over the next 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Because you didn't win the league last year and numerous players in your squad are at their sell by date and will need serious replacing over the next 18 months.

The fact is no one knows.

He could just be saying this to get the fans on his side as they're all ready angry with the glazer gang. It could be just tripe spin from the agent to take the heat of wayne and blah blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

O.k guys, Rooney's clearly been reading the the United thread over the summer and you've all gone and spooked him with all your whining about the lack of signings :D

On a serious note, this doesn't do the likes of little Pea any favours for his confidence levels when Rooney comes out and makes such statements, would have been considerate of him to mention the arrival of good future prospects but the lack of marquis signings, a bit of tact was required there tbh. not cool.

Overall, can't help but agree with him, I think we were all a bit surprised to see no further MF additions over the Summer followed by talk that Scholes might do another Season, Scholes cannot play every game and he cannot play to his full potential each time he plays either.

When you look at the MF after Scholes, who else do we have atm to give us that spark of creativity?

Fletcher has been mediocre at best this season, can't knock his work rate but passing and creativity has not been his strong point thus far. He's been quiet by his standard in recent years.

I could go on but I think everyone will agree our MF options are very limited atm and if I were in his shoes, i'd be worried about winning trophies this season too.

This mornings talks should be interesting, will they succumb to one players pressure to break the bank on signings over the winter break.

If some agreement comes out of the talk and he stays and we see some additions to the squad, this will have been a veritable stroke of genius bordering on the fringes of blackmail!
    (all based on the assumption that winning trophies is not an attempt to hide plain old fashioned greed)

The same Rooney who said less then 12months ago he wants to stay at United for life? The only changes since then are contract talks. He wants to be on City wages

MUST on the BBC saying that Rooney is leaving for trophies, that it can have nothing to do with greed on his part.

Yet again MUST show lack of intelligence with their comments on the issue. They really are a bunch of clueless muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what are the chances of him going back to scouseland and playing for Liverpool?

what a kick in the rocks that would be to United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

He compared the clubs to cows, not rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

fryup wrote: »

about as likely as Fergie replacing him with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

what a kick in the rocks that would be to United Everton
    TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Yet again MUST show lack of intelligence with their comments on the issue. They really are a bunch of clueless muppets.

It's to there benefit to say that it puts pressure on the owners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well that statement says it all. I have to respect Rooney for leaving, very understandable. Sad times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Whatever miniscule of hope Liverpool or Everton fans had of him wanting to return to his home city, his statement yesterday brought the chances from negligible to zero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The same Rooney who said less then 12months ago he wants to stay at United for life? The only changes since then are contract talks. He wants to be on City wages

Ehh United signing no one of note during the summer could easily have changed his mind too. Not just money.

• Advertisement

The summer transfer window would have confirmed a lot of what most people though about United's finances.

Frankly, if and when he goes I really don't care who he signs for. It makes absolutely no odds whatsoever because he'll no longer be a Manchester United player.

I think the truth of the situation is somewhere between the two stools, in part he's right to question the level of investment the team is going to see over the next few years and in part I think it's financially motivated.

Losing Rooney would not be a sign that United as a club are in decline though, no more than losing Ronaldo, Ruud, Tevez,Keane or anybody else was. That isn't to say that we aren't coming to the end of a cycle for the club, but losing individual players isn't the be all and end all.

The Glazer problem is definitely impacting the club, but with the exception of Chelsea & City there's no club in England positioned to invest significantly more than United can and will over the next few years. In Europe it's a similar situation with the exception of Real Madrid so it's far from a doomsday scenario.

United as a unit are and always will be greater than the sum of their parts. They will finish at least in the top 3/4 for the next 2-3 seasons and I fully expect them to be genuinely competing for the league and CL within 3-4 seasons.

davyjose wrote: »

I didn't write the youtube video title btw.

Anyway done talking about this, has me in a bad mood at home and in work all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

davyjose wrote: »

I thought he was comparing players - ie a player from another side might look like a better option but it may not turn out that way (depending on how they develop and how players already at the club develop).

United as a unit are and always will be greater than the sum of their parts. They will finish at least in the top 3/4 for the next 2-3 seasons and I fully expect them to be genuinely competing for the league and CL within 3-4 seasons.

There was no need for this cycle. Lots of clubs take a winning team and push on and develop it. Look at Barca. We aren't able to do that because we've **** all money. 6 years ago, we could have bought 4 world class players after Ronaldo left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Anybody else think that Rooney will never play for UTD again? I think Fergie's "saga" comment, may actually be quite telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Can't see him starting for Utd again, maybe coming on as a sub.

He's really done it this time :cool:

And no way are Arsenal going to swoop for him. I think Chelski or Real are the only real options.

On a plus side it would put an end to the he's moving for ambition slant.:D

It's to there benefit to say that it puts pressure on the owners

But shows themselves up to be opportunist clueless muppets and turns a lot of the fans against them, perhaps they have weighed it up and considered the pros and cons of their stance but somehow I doubt it.

PHB wrote: »
    There was no need for this cycle. Lots of clubs take a winning team and push on and develop it. Look at Barca. We aren't able to do that because we've **** all money. 6 years ago, we could have bought 4 world class players after Ronaldo left.

While I don't completely disagree with the thrust of your post Barca aren't the be all and end all. They've had significant periods of not winning anything as well, and their recent record follows a very similar cycle to Uniteds

No league titles between '99 - '04, and '06 - '09
    No Spanish (league & FA) cup between '98 -'08
    No Spanish Super cup between '06 - '09
    European cup won in '06 & '09

So between '06 - '09 they won pretty much nothing, then won everything they went for that season. They only won the league and super cup last year. The year after United won the Champions league they won the league and the league cup as well as making the final of the CL.

They're currently 3rd in La Liga (United are 4th) and are top of their group in the CL with 7 points (same as United)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

While I don't completely disagree with the thrust of your post Barca aren't the be all and end all. They've had significant periods of not winning anything as well, and their recent record follows a very similar cycle to Uniteds

No league titles between '99 - '04, and '06 - '09
    No Spanish (league & FA) cup between '98 -'08
    No Spanish Super cup between '06 - '09
    European cup won in '06 & '09

So between '06 - '09 they won pretty much nothing, then won everything they went for that season. They only won the league and super cup last year. The year after United won the Champions league they won the league and the league cup as well as making the final of the CL.

They're currently 3rd in La Liga (United are 4th) and are top of their group in the CL with 7 points (same as United)

There is no such thing as a Spanish League Cup and how can they win a Spanish Super Cup if they havn't won the Copa Del Rey or La Liga. The Copa Del Rey is just used for squad players so no major loss there and the Spanish Super Cup is like the Community Shield - no big deal.

Currently Barca are in a much better position than Utd. and are a much better team at this point. They might be short of funds for transfers but they have the best starting XI in World football. None of their players are looking to leave and if they had the cash Rooney atm would much rather play for Barca than Utd.

Plus what are you on about Barca won the League in 08-09 season plus the Copa Dey Rey in that year. That was the season they won every competition they entered. Barca have only failed to win the League twice since 2004.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement