Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Warper wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a Spanish League Cup and how can they win a Spanish Super Cup if they havn't won the Copa Del Rey or La Liga. The Copa Del Rey is just used for squad players so no major loss there and the Spanish Super Cup is like the Community Shield - no big deal.

Currently Barca are in a much better position than Utd. and are a much better team at this point. They might be short of funds for transfers but they have the best starting XI in World football. None of their players are looking to leave and if they had the cash Rooney atm would much rather play for Barca than Utd.

[x] missed the point completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Iago wrote: »

Next time at least get your facts right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So are you implying that United aren't miles behind Barcelona in terms of what the immediate future holds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

but with the exception of Chelsea & City there's no club in England positioned to invest significantly more than United can and will over the next few years.

I was all like 'Peow! Wrong! Arsenal are in a much healthier financial state!', then I realised you were right as while we can outspend United, there's not a hope we will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Quazzie wrote: »
    So are you implying that United aren't miles behind Barcelona in terms of what the immediate future holds?

He is talking about PHB's point about cycles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I don't completely disagree with the thrust of your post Barca aren't the be all and end all. They've had significant periods of not winning anything as well, and their recent record follows a very similar cycle to Uniteds

No league titles between '99 - '04, and '06 - '09
    No Spanish (league & FA) cup between '98 -'08
    No Spanish Super cup between '06 - '09
    European cup won in '06 & '09

So between '06 - '09 they won pretty much nothing, then won everything they went for that season. They only won the league and super cup last year. The year after United won the Champions league they won the league and the league cup as well as making the final of the CL.

They're currently 3rd in La Liga (United are 4th) and are top of their group in the CL with 7 points (same as United)

First off, I'm just talking about recent history. I understand that teams go in cycles in general, but sometimes they dont if investment is right, which was my point.

Barca won the treble in 08-09, and after that, invested heavily, heavily in their squad. They reached a peak, and pushed on from it. That's how you maintain a team without a down-cycle. Last year they won the league. What did they do? They bought David Vila replacing a previous 60 million pound buy! They are trying to stop the down-cycle, or at least minimize it.

What did we do after our double? Bought Berbatov, but then sold Ronaldo, and are now selling Rooney. We are embracing our down-cycle, which Rooney can see.

Sure you can view Fergie as currently focusing on the youth team which will eventually reach a peak in x years. And yes we have a young squad who if they all make it, we'll be set for years to come. We could see a

---Rafael-Evans-Vidic-Fabio
    -Bebe-Anderson-Fletcher-Nani
    Chicho---Macheda---

line up in 4 years time. But it means that we've just wasted the peaks of Evra, Vidic, Berbatov and Ferdinand.

This is why Rooney is leaving. Because for whatever reason, whether it be money or planning, Fergie is aiming to win the title again in 1-2 years, not this year. What if its 3 years? Rooney will be 27 by then, and there's a good chance he won't be a player that plays long into his 30s. If he moves to a club that is at the peak, or about to be at the peak of their cycle, like say Chelsea or Madrid, then he's got a better chance of winning titles.

That said, if he moves to City, I'll firmly believe its for the money.

It may be all a big conspiracy.

Rooney asks for a transfer citing lack of future funding in the future sqaud as the reason he wants out.

Ferguson has a heart wrenching media press conference exclaiming his massive disappointment in Wayne's decision and looks a broken man on tv.

A two month saga ensues, with massive protests by Utd fans at matches and the club under the media spotlight. Supporters begin to stay from matches.

The owners come under massive pressure and reorganise the finances releasing millions for transfers which gives Roonet all the reassurances he needs.

He promply signs a new 5 year contract.

wrong forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,848 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney has released a statement confirming his desire to leave Old Trafford.

The former Everton striker indicated that his decision lies in the fact that he was given no concrete proof over the ambition of the club's board and the future improvement of the playing squad.

"I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad," said Rooney.

"I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract."

Rooney also confessed his interest and surprise in the comments made by Sir Alex Ferguson in Tuesday's press conference, where the Scot revealed his "shock" and "disappointment" at the 24-year-old's decision, but the forward remains a massive fan of the manager.

"I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say yesterday and surprised by some of it," continued Rooney.

"It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.

"I have never had anything but complete respect for MUFC. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?

"For me it's all about winning trophies - as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified."

Rooney continued to praise the Manchester United manager, speaking of the "debt" he owes to the Scot and indicating his view that Ferguson is a "genius" when it comes to managing a football club.

"Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt. He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18," he said.

"For Manchester United's sake I wish he could go on forever because he's a one-off and a genius."

I'm sorry but I still think it is about money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It may be all a big conspiracy.

Rooney asks for a transfer citing lack of future funding in the future sqaud as the reason he wants out.

Ferguson has a heart wrenching media press conference exclaiming his massive disappointment in Wayne's decision and looks a broken man on tv.

A two month saga ensues, with massive protests by Utd fans at matches and the club under the media spotlight. Supporters begin to stay from matches.

The owners come under massive pressure and reorganise the finances releasing millions for transfers which gives Roonet all the reassurances he needs.

He promply signs a new 5 year contract.

I was actually thinking early it would be brilliant if this was all a stunt cooked up by Fergie that Rooney is in on in order for them to have a huge transfer budget come January/July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Forgetting about the rights and wrongs of the debate for a moment , Anyone else think if Rooney is sidelined for the next 2 months that he'll will suffer badly physically ,
    Always thought he was the type of player who needs to be training /playing week in /week out to stay in shape , A Gazza type if you want ,the type at will always have to fight a little bit harder than others to stay on top of his fitness ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Forgetting about the rights and wrongs of the debate for a moment , Anyone else think if Rooney is sidelined for the next 2 months that he'll will suffer badly physically ,
    Always thought he was the type of player who needs to be training /playing week in /week out to stay in shape , A Gazza type if you want ,the type at will always have to fight a little bit harder than others to stay on top of his fitness ....

Could be a blessing in disguise. He's always been rushed back from injuries, maybe this will give him a chance to fully recover from the various knocks he's picked up.

PHB wrote: »
    First off, I'm just talking about recent history. I understand that teams go in cycles in general, but sometimes they dont if investment is right, which was my point.

Barca won the treble in 08-09, and after that, invested heavily, heavily in their squad. They reached a peak, and pushed on from it. That's how you maintain a team without a down-cycle. Last year they won the league. What did they do? They bought David Vila replacing a previous 60 million pound buy! They are trying to stop the down-cycle, or at least minimize it.

What did we do after our double? Bought Berbatov, but then sold Ronaldo, and are now selling Rooney. We are embracing our down-cycle, which Rooney can see.

Sure you can view Fergie as currently focusing on the youth team which will eventually reach a peak in x years. And yes we have a young squad who if they all make it, we'll be set for years to come. We could see a

---Rafael-Evans-Vidic-Fabio
    -Bebe-Anderson-Fletcher-Nani
    Chicho---Macheda---

line up in 4 years time. But it means that we've just wasted the peaks of Evra, Vidic, Berbatov and Ferdinand.

This is why Rooney is leaving. Because for whatever reason, whether it be money or planning, Fergie is aiming to win the title again in 1-2 years, not this year. What if its 3 years? Rooney will be 27 by then, and there's a good chance he won't be a player that plays long into his 30s. If he moves to a club that is at the peak, or about to be at the peak of their cycle, like say Chelsea or Madrid, then he's got a better chance of winning titles.

That said, if he moves to City, I'll firmly believe its for the money.

as I said I don't disagree completely with your point, but every team has peaks and troughs. The Barca team that won everything before them is still in the upward part of their cycle, and yet if you base it just on results they are technically in decline at the moment :D

There are two other things to consider around your overall point

1) Fergie bought players even prior to that Champions League win that were judged to be good enough to keep United at the top of the cycle rather than start the downward trend. Since 2007 we've brought in

Nani £18m
    Anderson £18m
    Da Silva twins £5.2m
    Tevez £10m
    Berbatov £30m
    Tosic £7.5m (although this has been disputed and I really don't know what the actual amount was)
    De Leat £1m
    Obertan £3m
    Valencia £17m
    Mame Diouf £6m
    Hernandez £10m
    Smalling £12m
    Bebe £7.5m
    Hargreaves £17m
    Richardson £5m

you could argubly add 2006 into that
    Carrick £18m
    Kuszcack £3m

Without 2006 that's 16 players and £170m or so, with 2006 it's 18 players and £191m

It's a full squad worth of players and combined with the older guard that was already in place it should and was enough to keep United at the top of the league and fighting in Europe.

This is the first year where real questions are being asked about United in terms of overall performances and ability to push on. At this stage if Nani, Anderson, Hargreaves, Carrick, Tosic et al where living up to their billing then we'd all be slapping each other on the back about how great we are.

Van Dar Sar

Rafael
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra

Anderson--Fletcher---Hargreaves

Valencia
    Nani

Rooney

Bench: Kuszcack, O'Shea, Fabio, Evans, Scholes, Giggs, Berbatov

or any combination of the First XI and the bench for the game in question.

On paper that team would be close to being the strongest First XI in the league, and would remove the reliance and pressure on the likes of Scholes & Giggs to turn back the years and carry the team along.

However Nani hasn't lived up to his billing, Anderson looks lost and Hargreaves is a permanent crock. Unfortunately you can't return the players and say "sorry about that, but they're not fulfilling their potential so give us back our money" That £190m is spent whether we like it or not.

2) Outside of English players or young African/South American players, not many would choose England as their destination of choice.

Ferguson has highlighted this as an issue over the summer (I'm guessing it was Villa) but it's a consistent problem. This isn't a problem that's likely to go away, especially when the players pay a lot more tax in England than they do on the continent.

~~~~~~~~~~~

People also seem to forget that Ferguson spent £30m this summer on Smalling, Hernandez & Bebe (granted Smalling was January) so United are still investing in the squad, regardless of how convenient it is for a player to use it as an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

However Nani hasn't lived up to his billing

He has been arguably our best player this season, and has been performing very consistantly since February or March. It's something i'd have leveled at him before but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Obviously they won't want to have Rooney around if he is going to be a destructive influence and he may not leave in January so there could be a loan opportunity there. There is also the fact that it could increase his value if he starts playing well again?
    Could anyone else see this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    what are the chances of him going back to scouseland and playing for Liverpool?

what a kick in the rocks that would be to United
    Whatever miniscule of hope Liverpool or Everton fans had of him wanting to return to his home city, his statement yesterday brought the chances from negligible to zero!

is it really beyond possibility??

think about it, Liverpool have just got a brash new owner and what better way to make your mark on the transfer field than to get the Main marksman from your biggest rivals...watch this space i say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

think about it, Liverpool have just got a brash new owner and what better way to make your mark on the transfer field than to get the Main marksman from your biggest rivals...watch this space i say.
    I wouldnt describe Liverpool's new owners as "brash"!

He is good friends with Gerrard, but I don't think Liverpool will be pushing for trophies in the immediate future!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I didn't know Anderson and Nani cost £18m! That seems like an awful lot of money given their profile and age when they arrived at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I honestly think you are living in fantasy lasnd if you think Rooney is heading to Liverpool.

It was in August that he declared his intent to leave, by which time he more or less had a deal done with a new club(imo). Liverpool were still owned by Hicks and the razor man.

Even if he hasnt done a deal yet, I`m sure Liverpool arent even in his thoughts.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I didn't know Anderson and Nani cost £18m! That seems like an awful lot of money given their profile and age when they arrived at Old Trafford.

Some sources have the Anderson fee at £20m+, but it was definitely no lower than £18m.

Given that Porto had paid €7m for 65% of him in 2005, and he'd helped them to back to back league titles it's probably not surprising that they wanted a large chunk of money. That combined with United trying to do it on the quiet before anybody else got wind of it would have driven up the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Given that Porto had paid €7m for 65% of him in 2005, and he'd helped them to back to back league titles it's probably not surprising that they wanted a large chunk of money.

Didn't he play like 10 games for Porto before his move?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Didn't he play like 10 games for Porto before his move?

18, run in of the first season after signing midway though, and start of the following season before breaking his leg.

I was making the point that he had come in on relatively big money as a kid with them and before they were able to fully take advantage of his potential United came in with an offer. It was going to have to be significant to persuade them to sell.

Interestingly I don't think he's signed a contract extension (although I could be wrong) in which case his contract will expire May 2012, just like Rooneys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

TheBig_Sam
    On Skype with Sir Alex there. He didn't want to talk about Rooney. Or anything else. We just sat there in silence. Naked, awkward silence.

:D

Meeting between Fergie and Gill is over apparently with a statement due shortly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

as I said I don't disagree completely with your point, but every team has peaks and troughs. The Barca team that won everything before them is still in the upward part of their cycle, and yet if you base it just on results they are technically in decline at the moment :D

I would doubt that they are in decline. They are not winning 6-0 every week with Messi Eto'o and Henry getting 100 goals between them, but there is still a gulf in class and a predominant backbone to the original Rijkaard success. There is a lot to fear facing Barcelona, there is not much to fear facing United, players wise.

Which has been invested upon and critically improved with that investment for all but one season since 2003 with Ronaldinho. Deco, Giuly, Davids, Eto'o, through Thuram, Henry to Mascherano, Ibrahimovic and Villa.

I'd agree that the club can go through peaks and troughs, but The Team [or generation] That Laporta Built (tm) is nowhere near a trough. This latest team that Ferguson built well...is. I don't see the peak on the horizon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I think this situation is about money AND ambition. Lets say there is a £140,000 a week deal on the table. We know he'd get closer to £200,000 or more at city, Madrid, Barca etc. Now if Utd still had caliber like Ronaldo, Tevez and the like. Even if they had gone after Ozil, Khadeira etc rather than Bebe and Hernandez etc. I think Rooney would have stuck around, even in the knowledge there was alot more money to be made elsewhere.

However, if he see's that there is less money on the table, plus a lack of ambition/funds etc at the club, then he probably thinks, 'What is the point in sticking around'.
    I think anyone who doesn't see that United are a club in trouble need to look at the situation closer. I think, unlike Rafa Benitez, Ferguson is managing the issue for the sake of the club. Whereas benitez would kind or murmur about discontent etc, Ferguson is trying to save the reputation of utd, and is actually hiding the fact that the club are in trouble.

Oh yeah and Fergie, that whole thing about saving Rooney for England, Not a feckin chance I'd believe that! Fergie a football philanthropist? I think not:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was expecting to wake up to find a statement that Rooney had been told he would be allowed leave in January if the right bid was offered (standard speak) and that in the meantime he would not be considered to play for United again. They would however leave the door open for him if he changes his mind and wants to stay at the club (again standard speak as I have a feeling Fergie might want him gone at this stage).

I think the statement will be something along these lines. I still think it's about the money and would love Rooney to prove me wrong but I can't envisage a resolution at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I think the fees reported for Nani and Anderson are greatly over exaggerated. I have no doubt that over time and reaching certain goals, achievements and milestones that the figures reported could/would be reached but i'm pretty sure that United did not pay 18m upfront for each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I was expecting to wake up to find a statement that Rooney had been told he would be allowed leave in January if the right bid was offered (standard speak) and that in the meantime he would not be considered to play for United again. They would however leave the door open for him if he changes his mind and wants to stay at the club (again standard speak as I have a feeling Fergie might want him gone at this stage).

I think the statement will be something along these lines. I still think it's about the money and would love Rooney to prove me wrong but I can't envisage a resolution at the minute.

Me too. Rooney on the transfer list, will not play for United again as the best solution from now on in. Might as well start playing without him straight away, give the likes of Chico more gametime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

JimiTime wrote: »
    I think this situation is about money AND ambition. Lets say there is a £140,000 a week deal on the table. We know he'd get closer to £200,000 or more at city, Madrid, Barca etc. Now if Utd still had caliber like Ronaldo, Tevez and the like. Even if they had gone after Ozil, Khadeira etc rather than Bebe and Hernandez etc. I think Rooney would have stuck around, even in the knowledge there was alot more money to be made elsewhere.

However, if he see's that there is less money on the table, plus a lack of ambition/funds etc at the club, then he probably thinks, 'What is the point in sticking around'.
    I think anyone who doesn't see that United are a club in trouble need to look at the situation closer. I think, unlike Rafa Benitez, Ferguson is managing the issue for the sake of the club. Whereas benitez would kind or murmur about discontent etc, Ferguson is trying to save the reputation of utd, and is actually hiding the fact that the club are in trouble.

Oh yeah and Fergie, that whole thing about saving Rooney for England, Not a feckin chance I'd believe that! Fergie a football philanthropist? I think not:)

If United hadn't snapped up Hernandez for the money they did, I feel that based on the World Cup and the international games he played afterwards (he has 11 goals in 20 games for Mexico) the news papers/forums would have been mentioning him alongside the likes of Khedira, Suarez and Prince-Boateng and Ozil during the transfer window.

It was a great bit of business by United, I'll be surprised if he doesn't emerge as a top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Rooney holds all the cards here. Standard situation where he could run his contract down and leave for nothing.

Given his current value and the fact that only City seem capable of paying the wages he wants, United will have to be careful how they treat him.

smokedeels wrote: »
    If United hadn't snapped up Hernandez for the money they did, I feel that based on the World Cup and the international games he played afterwards (he has 11 goals in 20 games for Mexico) the news papers/forums would have been mentioning him alongside the likes of Khedira, Suarez and Prince-Boateng and Ozil during the transfer window.
    It was a great bit of business by United, I'll be surprised if he doesn't emerge as a top player.

Thats a joke right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thats a joke right?
    Ya'd be surprised how many people actually believe that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Funny how people are talking about Man Utd not buying players. How about Chelsea? Man Utd net-spent more this past summer transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Thats a joke right?

He's right though. His transfer fee was 7mil. After the WC it would have doubled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

FatherTed wrote: »
    He's right though. His transfer fee was 7mil. After the WC it would have doubled.

not quite.

i've no doubt it may have increased.

he'd never have been mentioned alongside Ozil, Suarez and Khedira, which is what people were ridiculing. they were the Players of the Tournament just about for fúck's sake.

Thats a joke right?

He's a young player that had a great season in his domestic league, had some impressive moments during a disappointing World Cup, Those elements fit the description of most of the younger players that were being hyped in every newpaper/forum during the transfer window.

In the past few months he's scored goals against the two World Cup finalists (Spain and Holland), Chelsea and Valencia.

so, no, it wasn't a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Come off it will you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Funny how people are talking about Man Utd not buying players. How about Chelsea? Man Utd net-spent more this past summer transfer window.
    Chelsea have built up a squad of players still in their prime plus Abramovich has promised he will splash out for any marquee player (the likes of Kaka, Torres, Rooney etc) who become available that Ancellotti thinks he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

the issue is NOT that utd are not buying. Its that they are in need of much better players in certain positions, and they haven't spent. If they had Chelsea's squad, there would be no questions. The fact that utd's squad quality has so dipped in the recent times without a PROPER dip into the market is the issue. They spent on Bebe and Chico, but the wages of these players would be considerably lower than those of the likes of Ozil, Van Der Vaart etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SlickRic wrote: »
    i just can't agree with this, though i see where you're coming from.

yes, debt is a huge issue for Utd.

but in terms of the playing squad and manager they're in a different league to us right now really. unless Fergie has told Rooney he's leaving in a matter of months, and that the successor is someone of a sub-standard calibre, then there is no rational reason for Rooney to believe that Utd aren't ambitious.

Torres would be more than right to leave, because we've shown little or no ambition for 2/3 years, sacked a great manager for a journeyman, aren't in the Champions League, and show little sign of getting back in.

Rooney's getting out far, far earlier than that. unless he's Mystic Wayne in his spare time, he's no fúcking clue, and if he had any balls whatsoever he'd stay and try to lead the club into the next few years, which might be slightly more difficult.

i've no doubt that with a firing Wayne Rooney, under Fergie, United would be there or thereabouts for the forseeable future. it's not like the rest of the team is Championship standard.

like i say, Rooney is talking complete shíte.

that, or he's completely spineless.

In fairness, we should drop the Torres comparison because Rooney is hardly thinking about Pool.

Rooney has obviously been briefed on United future plans financially. He has to make a judgement call and decide where he will more trophies. It is his opinion, he could be right or it could turn out a disaster of a move. Personally, if it was United or City, I'd go City because the potential is huge.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Ian Holloway's outburst on Wayne Rooney
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RdLGZ89uU

Thats frikkin hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭secman

Earning big money is one thing but loyalty and earning LEGEND status is another thing completely, Rooney will never ever be a LEGEND, and its a pity cos he could have been one and still be a very wealthy man.

Scholes - legend
    Giggs--- legend
    Steven Gerard - legend

Rooney - mercenary

Its funny really that he believes his ambition is on a higher plain than the Club !!!

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Ian Holloway's outburst on Wayne Rooney
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RdLGZ89uU
    adm wrote: »
    Thats frikkin hilarious!

"Fifa, Uefa, ooever you arr your WRONG"

Top rant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That was a funny rant from Holloway. I'm a real fan of Holloway, he is an excellent manager. I think both himself and Di Matteo have long successful management careers ahead of them.

On Rooney I can understand him wanting to leave if its about winning things. With Ferguson expected to retire at the end of the season and a bunch of important older players possibly going to follow him out the door its something he could be thinking about alright. Especially with the owners seemingly unwilling to spend big to keep the club at the top.

If its about money though the its just plain wrong. And if he goes to City then he is a fool. It was totally different with Carlos Tevez, he wasn't an automatic starter at United and they didn't take the option to secure him when they had the chance. Rooney has always been first choice and loved by the United fans so to cross the City is just well it shouldn't be allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

What's hilarious is just how quick the United fans have turned against young wazza. Did we hear shouts of 'mercenary' when he left Everton? In fairness we did, but only from the Everton fans.

As for not being a legend, you know you don;t have to be a United player to earn that status, Wayne can earn that at City when he joins.

I have admit that I am enjoying the MU internet meltdown as much as the next man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

karma_ wrote: »
    What's hilarious is just how quick the United fans have turned against young wazza. Did we hear shouts of 'mercenary' when he left Everton? In fairness we did, but only from the Everton fans.

As for not being a legend, you know you don;t have to be a United player to earn that status, Wayne can earn that at City when he joins.

I have admit that I am enjoying the MU internet meltdown as much as the next man.

He was a 17 year old kid when he left Everton who were a club with no money at the time. Everton got very well embursed for that sale, I'd even go so far as to say that they would not have been as successful without that cash injection. I don't think you can call a young teenager a mercenary. Its different when you have played for a club for this length of time, won countless medals and then decide to leave for money. I'm quite sure when he left Everton it was for medals and success not money.

If its about money he is very wrong. If its about looking to win things I can understand it as I just said above.

Ha ha what the **** is he talking about?!

I like him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

SlickRic wrote: »
    not quite.

i've no doubt it may have increased.

he'd never have been mentioned alongside Ozil, Suarez and Khedira, which is what people were ridiculing. they were the Players of the Tournament just about for fúck's sake.

How many players of the Tournament did Germany have? I'll admit I wanted Ozil (and i daresay, in hindsight, Rooney did too), but Schweinsteiger was the best player on that team.

My point is, Hernandez didn't have the quality around him to look good, and still looked good. If he hadn't signed for us before the world he'd be playing in Europe, and gone for fairly close to what Ozil went for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Holloway's rant is epic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ah Ian Holloway, will the real David Brent please stand up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement