Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Ian Hollaway is mad but i like him, he's honest and a realalist

How did the reporters keep a straight face. Hollaway said it himself it might be funny to watch his rant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

karma_ wrote: »
    I have admit that I am enjoying the MU internet meltdown as much as the next man.

I don't blame you. I'm sure you've waited a long time for it.

TBH it's a big deal, but not the end of the world. We'll bounce back.

The thing that bothers me the most is the supposed lack of ambition. We've been at the top for a long time, almost won the league, and blew the CL, IMO.
    But we were building a team around one of the best players in the world, and he figured we don't have ambition.

Maybe he's right, or maybe he simply doesn't back himself???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What's hilarious is just how quick the United fans have turned against young wazza. Did we hear shouts of 'mercenary' when he left Everton? In fairness we did, but only from the Everton fans.

As for not being a legend, you know you don;t have to be a United player to earn that status, Wayne can earn that at City when he joins.

I have admit that I am enjoying the MU internet meltdown as much as the next man.

As hilarious as how City fans like yourself used to love having a dig at him and yet are now his biggest fans. Case in point:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66570939&postcount=92

Since you said you agreed with the quoted post that 'Rooney already shot his load in a fantastic season with United', presumably you are gutted that he will perhaps now join Man City right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

smokedeels wrote: »

How I would love to get Holloway to shout, "GREEN AARRRMMYYY!" :D

Great rant from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

As hilarious as how City fans like yourself used to love having a dig at him and yet are now his biggest fans. Case in point:

Since you said you agreed with the quoted post that 'Rooney already shot his load in a fantastic season with United', presumably you are gutted that he will perhaps now join Man City right?

Kind of ironic that the posters name is karma :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What's hilarious is just how quick the United fans have turned against young wazza. Did we hear shouts of 'mercenary' when he left Everton? In fairness we did, but only from the Everton fans.

As for not being a legend, you know you don;t have to be a United player to earn that status, Wayne can earn that at City when he joins.

Whats funny is the amount of people who continually generalise supporters from a few posts.

UNITED FANS havent turned against 'young wazza'. Some have. Some, including myself, have not.

Wayne Rooney has been pivital to the recent success of the club. Alot of people are hurt by the thought of a man who many thought would be at United for life playing for someone else. Im waiting to see what becomes of the situation.

You dont see me posting "Whats funny how now the City fans who would refuse to regard Rooney as world class are now saying he can take City to the next level". Because generalising is a sign of bitter ignorance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

In fairness I would prefer he did not join city and that is the truth, however I expect there is a good chance it could happen, and if that means I get to have a dig at United then so be it.

Still in regards my remarks there, even if I was a Rooney fan I still would not have him in the same bracket as Messi, I don;t even have Tevez in that bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Still in regards my remarks there, even if I was a Rooney fan I still would not have him in the same bracket as Messi, I don;t even have Tevez in that bracket.

Wow, magmanimous :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

davyjose wrote: »
    Wow, magmanimous :rolleyes:

Now now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Doesn't appear that United will release a statement today, perhaps they've "put the issue to bed" internally and will possibly keep quiet about the issue until it's necessary to comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Statement at 7 - tweeted by Roan of the BBC.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Interesting perspective from a Chelsea fan

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=520816#ixzz130i3j78e
    Rooney to Chelsea? No thanks.

Chelsea players, and even Carlo Ancelotti, have said positive things about the idea that Wayne Rooney could join Chelsea. They have their point of view. Allow me to have another.

"We've got a great squad of players and he would add to that and strengthen the squad. He is the best player in the world for me" is what John Terry said about Wayne Rooney. Nicolas Anelka added "if he wants to come to Chelsea he would be very welcome. Would I buy him? Of course I would, he's a good player." You`d think that, if the Chelsea players welcomed Rooney, everyone else should roll out the Blue carpet.

But here`s another point of view: Chelsea should bodyswerve the guy and let him find a club at his own level of vulgarity.

On form, why should Chelsea shackle themselves with a player who has failed to score for ManYoo since March? We accept that Wayne has been frequently injured (and that includes the difference of opinion between player and manager as to whether he is currently knacked), but when fit, he has been a waste of space. He was, after all, the worst England player in South Africa during the World Cup, and that is really saying something. If it was purely on form, Wayne Rooney doesn`t make the starting United lineup. It`s arguable whether he will ever recover that, and why should Chelsea take that risk? We signed Andriy Shevchenko at a time when he was a better striker, he was already in terminal decline. Let`s not repeat that mistake.

Signing Wayne Rooney means playing Wayne Rooney. In the long run, Chelsea will have to replace Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka. We should consider someone who can ease in to Chelsea rather than someone who will demand starts. Let`s not also forget that Wayne Rooney is a red card waiting to happen. When the games aren`t going well, he becomes petulant and a liability. Is that a risk Chelsea want to take?

But Wayne Rooney`s current form, the worst of his career, is far from being the reason why Chelsea should no sign him. Let`s quickly deal with the off-pitch stuff. By all accounts, Wayne Rooney is not really a candidate for Mensa membership. He was caught out in a sex scandal when younger, and he managed to repeat that, learning little. In fact, his recent playing away is spectacularly stupid when you consider the careful way that Wayne Rooney has tried to build up his nauseating image and media presence. This is not to be censorious about a bloke who cheats on his wife, even who hires hookers for his gratification, only to point out that you have to be quite thick to invite the media into your life, to the extent that Wayne has, and then not to take far more precautions to hide your indiscretions.

In fact, better still, don`t invite the media into your life. Don`t try to 'transcend` football by become a multi-media personality. You are a footballer, stick to the back pages. Ryan Giggs, a far better example of loyalty and decency, already asked Wayne at THAT wedding to Colleen whether he really wanted to sell the wedding pictures to Hello magazine (or was it OK?) even for £1 million. When you invite the media into your life, you shouldn`t complain when they start looking in the cupboards and under the carpets for skeletons and dirt. Best to ensure that there is none to be found.

That`s something that Ashley Cole and John Terry have already discovered the hard way. Do Chelsea want to have an even more troubled player on their books, one who is in the newspapers even more? One who has such a bad reputation, who attracts the opposition supporter taunts, the bad publicity? And Rooney is not like Ashley Cole: Wayne`s troubles off the pitch affect his performance on the pitch. That`s a hell of a liability.

But Wayne Rooney`s rap sheet doesn`t end there. By accounts, the main motivation of his move is, well, entirely understandable: money. Wayne Rooney wants to be the best paid player in the world. The news in Spain is that he`s targeting €14 million per year, or €1 million more than Cristiano Ronaldo. Wow. Just as Chelsea have rationalised their finances a little over the summer, they would think about paying Wayne Rooney some £150,000 per week. Or it could be £160,000. Or £250,000 (depending if you believe The Sun or the Daily Mail). Of course, that kind of salary offered to Wayne would lead to John Terry and Frank Lampard seeing an automatic ratcheting of their wages to match Wayne`s. From the point of view of the club finances, and as UEFA`s new rules kick in, that sounds like a terrible idea.

Besides, honestly, does Wayne Rooney deserve that kind of money? What kind of pretension is that from a player who has had the past 12 months that Wayne has had? Chelsea already offloaded Joe Cole for demanding silly money. Wayne Rooney has done everything that he can, in the past 12 months, to convince people that he is not the World`s Best Player, why should anyone, least of all Chelsea, make him the best paid player in the world?

Let`s end with some question marks about Wayne`s loyalty. He`s a footballer, he`s a mercenary, by definition. But Wayne is different. At 17, he was a diehard Everton supporter. If he left, apparently it was to further his career. He has been hated by the Everton faithful ever since, not for having left them, but for having proclaimed his eternal love for the toffees before shafting them. It could be funny to see that Wayne has done exactly the same thing to the third biggest club in the world: going from declaring his intention to retire at United to jumping ship. However, the stunning lack of loyalty doesn`t end there.

For whatever you can say about Siralex, you can point to the way that he has been fiercely protective of his players. And that protection has been particularly defensive in the case of Wayne Rooney, a player considered the rawest talent seen in England for a very long time, but requiring extensive nurturing to turn Wayne into a world class footballer. To do that, Fergus has had to build a shield around Rooney. Fergus has had to defend Rooney from the (justified) questions about his temper and petulance on the pitch, as well as turning a blind eye to the problems off the pitch. In fact, ManYoo has offered only support to Rooney, particularly in the past few weeks when Rooney transgressed any number of the United rules and brought embarrassment to the club. Ferguson has been fiercely protective, paternal towards Rooney. It is this attitude that has made Rooney the player he is today. But if Rooney is not one of the World`s Best, it is entirely because of his own lack of application, and despite Ferguson`s best efforts, not because of them. It takes a special kind of person to betray that kind of protection, not to mention the fans who have always idolised Rooney (to the extent that even on Saturday, before the story even broke, they were chanting for Rooney to come on when United squandered their 2 goal lead). You need to be particularly nasty and ungrateful to do that to the second person (after David Moyes) who has nurtured your talent. You have to be particularly devoid of loyalty. Is that the kind of player Chelsea want on their books?

Finally, we have to take at face value the justification that Wayne has given for wanting to leave. In Rooney`s statement, he suggested that he wanted to leave because he considered that the club 'didn`t match his own ambitions`. "For me, it's all about winning trophies - as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified." Those questions were about "the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world."

And I honestly think that Rooney, in his delusions, actually believes this. If he stays at United, what guarantee does he have about trophies? Clearly, in Rooney`s mind, that depends on bringing in the top players in the world.

Here, we see that Rooney, at age 24, now considers himself bigger than Manchester United. Bigger than the manager who started as a manager at Old Trafford when Rooney was 1 year old. Manchester United is no longer 'matching Rooney`s ambitions`. What ambitions, Wayne, are they (beyond that of deciding and judging ManU`s transfer policy)? What a breathtaking delusion and arrogance.

The thing is, Wayne, you might have not fully understood where you fit in United`s current malaise, and have excused yourself from helping the club that has given so much to you. If ManU are slumping in the League, conceding sloppy goals, it is, to a large extent because of you. You have brought the circus to United, against the desires of Siralex. Ferguson had to sit you out of the Everton game to protect you. He was prepared to do that. He then may or may not have invented an ankle injury so as not to play you against Valencia. Whatever his reasons for having done that, your boss was prepared to put his team (and your team-mates) at risk for YOUR benefit. United have been dragging around a zombie, it turns out since the middle of August, once the season had started. Even when fit, you have been playing as if you were wading through soup. Still, your club has been prepared to play you. That`s how important you were to United, and how strongly Ferguson feels about you.

And now that the club is having a difficulty, this is how you repay them? A truly loyal player would think how he can help that club. A truly talented player would consider how he could lift up the team. A truly gifted individual would see how his talents can help the team, rather than blaming the fact that the club is not bringing in the 'world class talent`. And a person with a modicum of intelligence could understand that it is, in fact, Wayne Rooney who is the cause of much of the club`s malaise rather than citing external circumstances.

Wayne Rooney should consider what responsibility he has to shape Manchester United`s future. Instead of that, through his megalomaniac actions, he`s as culpable as the Glazers in fostering the club`s decline.

It would be tempting, since we are talking about a big rival, to laugh at all this. Since Chelsea have been linked as a possible destination, however, I`d like to ask that we don`t get involved with this individual. He`s show a staggering lack of judgment and loyalty, his pretensions, self-delusion and venality dwarf even his own view of his own talent and worth (and there is some doubt as to the precise nature of that talent in October 2010).

In a Blue shirt? No thanks. ManU fans, I`m with you on this one. You have all my sympathy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Rooney Update
    Manchester United released the following statement after a day of meetings between chief executive David Gill, Sir Alex Ferguson and representatives of Wayne Rooney:

“We are aware that there is intense public and media interest on the club at the moment, but there are no developments of note to report today.

“I can confirm a number of meetings have taken place today, including with the player's representative. The outcome of those meetings will become clear in the near future. In the meantime, fans are asked to be patient.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I don;t even have Tevez in that bracket.

Going by that post, it nearly looks like you rate Tevez higher than Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A U-turn would be so funny.

A U-turn would be so funny.

Almost as funny as Gerrards U-turn.
    It'll be level pegging as soon as a Rooney shirt is burned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

#15 wrote: »

Twice

But sure Rooney isn't very good, why would you guys want him back? :pac:

But sure Rooney isn't very good, why would you guys want him back? :pac:

Gerrard is worse, and you guys took him back.:pac:

To clarify - hardly anyone has claimed that Rooney isn't very good. That is a figment of your overactive imagination.:pac:

EDIT: It's Thursday night, shouldn't you be concentrating on something else other than this thread?:pac:

Gerrard is worse, and you guys took him back.:pac:

To clarify - hardly anyone has claimed that Rooney isn't very good. That is a figment of your overactive imagination.:pac:

EDIT: It's Thursday night, shouldn't you be concentrating on something else other than this thread?:pac:

How was Gerrard worse? At least he wasn't going to Everton. :pac: Multitasking FTW. I just think it's funny how loads of United fans have already started back tracking on their opinions of Gerrard.

• Advertisement

That's why we are here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

How was Gerrard worse? At least he wasn't going to Everton.

You're not great at following a line of conversation are you?

You said Rooney's not very good, I said Gerrard was worse. Where they were/are going has nothing to do with how good they are.
    I just think it's funny how loads of United fans have already started back tracking on their opinions of Gerrard.

I have no idea what you're on about. I haven't seen any backtracking. Overactive imagination again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Dcully wrote: »
    Not a fan of either club but why do city deserve to be in ruins?

Because it's the plaything of a Sheikh and it's not being run on a commercial footing. They're distorting the market unfairly. The salary/turnover rules can't come into force quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

And again its turned into lets all talk about ****ing Liverpool. And also included is more stupid comments about Utd fans not rating Rooney anymore. Its so tiresome.

You're not great at following a line of conversation are you?

You said Rooney's not very good, I said Gerrard was worse. Where they were/are going has nothing to do with how good they are.

I have no idea what you're on about. I haven't seen any backtracking. Overactive imagination again.

I thought you meant Gerrard leaving Liverpool was worse, not he's a worse player. My bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Keep it on-topic, without trolling or people will start picking up infractions.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    And again its turned into lets all talk about ****ing Liverpool. And also included is more stupid comments about Utd fans not rating Rooney anymore. Its so tiresome.

Well Rooney is the perfect example of the modern footballer, on and off the pitch, (thanks Chucky the tree) that we all moan about. There's the root of the problem right there.

Torres was the best example I could think of demonstrating the opposite, tbh, it is hard to think of many others. Scholes might have been a more palatable comparison for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

K-9 wrote: »
    Well Rooney is the perfect example of the modern footballer, on and off the pitch, (thanks Chucky the tree) that we all moan about. There's the root of the problem right there.

Torres was the best example I could think of demonstrating the opposite, tbh, it is hard to think of many others. Scholes might have been a more palatable comparison for you.

Right last post on this nonsense and im annoyed at myself for even biting in the first place.

Rooney is not a saint. Far far from it. He's shown over the last few years that he has very little morals. To use Torres as an example of someone with 'high moral fibre' is stupid. He cheats on the pitch - yes im not saying only he does but its still cheating. Is that the sign of a man with morals? Scuffing the penalty spot before a spot kick. Morals?

The whole point the argument started on was well Torres has said he wouldnt play for United and therefore he never would. Do you not agree we should not take a footballers word for what they say. Using Rooney as to why we shouldnt was just a topical example. As you said, that is the modern footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I didn't know Anderson and Nani cost £18m! That seems like an awful lot of money given their profile and age when they arrived at Old Trafford.

they didnt, people just like to say they did sometimes

• Advertisement

*Thread re-named 'Liverpool v Man Utd pissing competition/Playground slags' K.O. 7.45pm Sky Sports HD 1*

I specifically said off the pitch. Kindly respond to what I posted, not what you think I posted. I agree with you on the pitch, that isn't the point.

All you have to do is look at the wedding days of both and you see the difference in class and how they carry themselves off the pitch, privately.

Torres doesn't fall for the Hello type stuff, keeps quite and low profile off the pitch.

That is a major indicator of how he would behave in a similar scenario. We can't rule out he wouldn't go, neither can we rule out Messi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Iago wrote: »

Thats a superb article,very well written and on the money in almost every regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    *Thread re-named 'Liverpool v Man Utd pissing competition/Playground slags' K.O. 7.45pm Sky Sports HD 1*

Yeah, for how ridiculous their fans can make this forum, I'd like to see them both languish in mid table for a few years.

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah, for how ridiculous their fans can make this forum, I'd like to see them both languish in mid table for a few years.

That would mean armageddon for this forum imo.

gosplan wrote: »

There is an irony in there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Curious and desperate stuff from Utd going on

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/21/wayne-rooney-manchester-united-city

Imagine if Rooney stayed, could Fergie put up with that, could the fans or would it be alright once he scored again? Hardly seems tenable.
    Gill had an hour-long meeting with Ferguson at lunchtime and also spoke on several occasions over the telephone to the owning Glazer family to ascertain their position, predominantly whether they want to sell the man who scored 34 times for the club last season or try to coax him into changing his mind by offering more money.

Isn't that Fergies job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Thats a superb article,very well written and on the money in almost every regard.

That article is completely laughable - a chelski fan decrying rooneys vulgarity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

seems Rooney had a few visitors to his home tonite,, outlining what would happen if he signed for city..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

sky news say 20-30 people were 'moved on' by the police... peaceful enough apparently...no arrests made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    seems Rooney had a few visitors to his home tonite,, outlining what would happen if he signed for city..

Any links?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Morons. Like thats gonna help.:rolleyes:

Classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wonder what they hoped to achieve by doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    sky news say 20-30 people were 'moved on' by the police... peaceful enough apparently...no arrests made

I'd be very surprised if he stayed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'd be very surprised if he stayed now

Who knows, similar tactics played a part in Gerrard's decision not to move to Chelsea,

Classy indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ShamoBuc wrote: »

And that was just the City strikers, wait til the United fans get there! :eek:

Gerrard was much classier, local gangsters and everything. Do it properly. All allegedly of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Muppet wrote: »
    Who knows, similar tactics played a part in Gerrard's decision not to move to Chelsea,

Classy indeed.

Can't believe they forgot their lighters and replica jersies tbh. Amateur protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This happened to Rio during the time he was having contract talks years ago and getting a bit of stick from fans who thought he wanted to leave. He talks about it in his book. A couple of 'fans' tried to break into his home and he ended up talking to them and telling them he was trying to get everything sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

This happened to Rio during the time he was having contract talks years ago and getting a bit of stick from fans who thought he wanted to leave. He talks about it in his book. A couple of 'fans' tried to break into his home and he ended up talking to them and telling them he was trying to get everything sorted.

I'm nearly sure that was when he left Leeds, he talked about it on Live at the Red Cafe on night.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement