Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    :confused:

That adds nothing?

i think the point is, BBC have started reporting it, so it adds to slightly to the validity to the claim that there's something to all this.

i think there's something to it alright, but i do think the media are jumping to the end conclusion of a sale very very quickly, which you'd expect from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Steady on now nullzero

do a little more reading before coming to your conclusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bbc reporting it now - brilliant for the rest of the league - no world class attacking players left at united now.

rooney going to real, benzema to united? would need about 15m on top i reckon for united to take the deal...
    nullzero wrote: »
    Just how stupid is Wayne Rooney?

Ferguson went out of his way to protect him in a time of personal crisis and the player publicly contradicts him.
    Does Rooney really see himself as a victim at the moment?
    He's only a victim of his own stupidity.

It's such a pity to hear that he's essentially calling time on his United career as he's got what it takes to be an all time legend at the club.
    What's really dissapointing is that this could all have been avoided and very easily too.:(

it wouldnt surprise me if he just wants out of England, rather than out of United. The media arent such a bag of c**ks anywhere else in the world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

it wouldnt surprise me if he just wants out of England, rather than out of United. The media arent such a bag of c**ks anywhere else in the world...

Just as bad if not more ravenous in Spain. Particularly as the drinking culture is even more frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    The only similarity between United the Liverpool is that they both have American owners.

That is all.
    Your right. Finance wise United are screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

not cup tied in europe.............wen night will tell.

If he doesn't want to be there, just sell. Its not as if the club will make a lose on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, that is true since Friday given that we don't have any debt anymore and you lads do. No similarities at all! :)

Is there a trophy for the club with the least debt at the end of the season, If not the majority of United fan's don't give a toss.

Rooney is looking for more Money, whether United/Fergie will give it to him considering his recent on and off field performances is anyones guess.

I'd like to see him stay but if he goes good luck to him , United will move on as it always has in the past in these circumstances.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Is there a trophy for the club with the least debt at the end of the season, If not the majority of United fan's don't give a toss.

Rooney is looking for more Money, whether United/Fergie will give it to him considering his recent on and off field performances is anyones guess.

I'd like to see him stay but if he goes good luck to him , United will move on as it always has in the past in these circumstances.
    United where'nt in debt to the tune of almost a billion dollars in the past. Your fan base needs to wake up. Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

gavredking wrote: »
    Benzema + cash deal doesnt sound to tempting though if I was a Uniuted fan. If they were trying to offload Rooney id hold out out for Higuain. Hes better then Benzema..

IMO Higuain is better than both Benzema and Rooney, however, if it was up to the Real Madrid board they'd offload Higuain before Benzema for some odd reason. Thankfully for Real Madrid its not up to the board and Benzema remains the most likely to be used in any potential swap deal.

Anyway If united were going for Higuain its is likley that Madrid would want Rooney plus cash ( which united can't afford). Rooney has been surviving basically on his reputation of old for the best part of a year. He's no longer the hot property he once was. Meanwhile Higuain is argubly one of the best strikers in the world at the minute.

A point that not many people have mentioned is Rooney's dubious character. Being managed by Ferguson put him on the striaght and narrow for a few years ( but even then he veered). People often say that if Ferguson had managed Gazza he wouldn't have turned into the mess he is now. I believe there is a good possibility that without a strong manager like Ferguson, Rooney could loose the plot and end up wasted by time he's 27/28.

Seems like he's shooting himself in the foot to me.

Mister men wrote: »
    United where'nt in debt to the tune of almost a billion dollars in the past. Your fan base needs to wake up. Really.

Footballs moved on, it's essential to invest heavily if you intend to be up with the elite clubs, a majority of United fans have accepted this and would rather keep up than be fighting to avoid relegation.

• Advertisement

Dont be so foolish as to assume one poster represents a fan base please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If we actually were doing swap deals with Madrid, I'd take Higuain ahead of Benzema. However, if we really really had to do this, I'd take Higuain/Benzema and one of their random midfielders, like L Diarra as well. Madrid will pay big money for Rooney if he moves, because ultimately, he's more than just a footballer, he's a huge marketing machine.

If Rooney and Ronaldo played for Madrid I'd be watching them play every single week, and so would the rest of the world.

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    IMO Higuain is better than both Benzema and Rooney, however, if it was up to the Real Madrid board they'd offload Higuain before Benzema for some odd reason. Thankfully for Real Madrid its not up to the board and Benzema remains the most likely to be used in any potential swap deal.

Anyway If united were going for Higuain its is likley that Madrid would want Rooney plus cash ( which united can't afford). Rooney has been surviving basically on his reputation of old for the best part of a year. He's no longer the hot property he once was. Meanwhile Higuain is argubly one of the best strikers in the world at the minute.

A point that not many people have mentioned is Rooney's dubious character. Being managed by Ferguson put him on the striaght and narrow for a few years ( but even then he veered). People often say that if Ferguson had managed Gazza he wouldn't have turned into the mess he is now. I believe there is a good possibility that without a strong manager like Ferguson, Rooney could loose the plot and end up wasted by time he's 27/28.

Seems like he's shooting himself in the foot to me.

You make some good points in that post regarding his character potentially imo, food for thought anyway, well done sir

kryogen wrote: »
    I'm sorry i just don't see the fanbase protesting pro actively againest what is essentially the raping of your club. A few Norwich City scarves is'nt going to get you that far tbh.
    Edit sorry way of thread subject opps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Odds of 1/6 NOT to be at united next season. Madness.

I'm sorry i just don't see the fanbase protesting pro actively againest what is essentially the raping of your club. A few Norwich City scarves is'nt going to get you that far tbh.

If this was down to the Glazers forcing Fergie to sell him you'd have a point, but I think we know that's not the case don't we?

Footballs moved on, it's essential to invest heavily if you intend to be up with the elite clubs, a majority of United fans have accepted this and would rather keep up than be fighting to avoid relegation.
    Have you watched your own team of recent? They are'nt keeping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fair comment. The Muppet has been debated ceaselessly on the Utd Financials by a number of regular Utd fans on this forum.

SantryRed wrote: »

Get on him to be at the club next season!

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Fair comment. The Muppet has been debated ceaselessly on the Utd Financials by a number of regular Utd fans on this forum.

Meaoooowe:p

Have you watched your own team of recent? They are'nt keeping up.

I have indeed, they are in 4th a win off second place. Who are they not keeping up with. United traditional don't get really going until after christmas, we have dropped some silly points but I'm not too concerned yet.

You do know they are still unbeaten in the league don't you.?

Well maybe you should get in touch with "the fanbase" and tell them what they should do? Ideas for how to get rid of the Glazers, in a way that doesnt hurt the club would always be greatly accepted.

I dont own a Norwich City scarf btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Some Utd fans have been constant in their opposition to the GLazers, and indeed BSkyB before that.

It's a bit much to be listening to put-downs from a Liverpool supporter, given that a significant portion of your fanbase bent over for H+G, expecting them to be your saviours.
    Only when you realised that they weren't going to buy success, did the campaigns start.
    At least MUST and IMUSA have always been opposed to the Glazers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

SantryRed wrote: »

Next club odds have City as favorites. :pac:

Wayne Rooney next club odds

Man City 3.0
    Real Madrid 3.50
    Barcelona 3.75
    Chelsea 10.0
    Inter 15.0
    AC Milan 17.0
    Juventus 21.0
    Arsenal 34.0
    Bayern Munich 41.0
    Everton 51.0
    Liverpool 51.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I have indeed, they are in 4th a win off second place.

so 4th...

• Advertisement

You have to bet on the Rooney to stay at Man United option there! talk about value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

7/2 to be at United next season, so much value there.

so 4th...

It's October.

so 4th...

4th in October isnt exactly terrible is it? whats doing well these days?

Fromvert wrote: »
    7/2 to be at United next season, so much value there.

where are you getting that price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

where are you getting that price?

Ah looks like I got it wrong. Ladbrokes where just on SSN saying it but what they said isn't really what they're offering and the price is 5/2.

It's actually Rooney to start United's first game next season.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-ie/Manchester-United-Specials-e214157703

paddypower dont offer that market that i can find you see and i want to get some money on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Rooney is going nowhere ,this story is a non runner.
    All he is trying to do is get a better contract.You'd think he'd have enough money with his off field endorsements .
    Where would he go anyway ?
    He wouldn't be suited to (or good enough for ) either Barcelona or Real Madrid .
    No club in Italy would buy him .
    His only real options would be an English club,perhaps Chelsea or Man City and Man City would be the only club foolish enough to pay the inflated fee United would be seeking.
    He is going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Wow, this is really gaining momentum.

Of course a Rooney statement over the next 24 hours could end it all. Though the longer it goes without him denying it the louder it will become.

It'll get really interesting if Rooney refuses to sign a new contract AND refuses to go abroad. I wonder which club Rooney would go to if he had the choice.

I don't think he'd be all that keen on London.
    City would seem the most likely, although staying in Manchester might be negative.
    Has all his Everton bridges really been burned? Would they take him back? They'd probably have to swap one or two of Cahill, Arteta, Jagielka to fund it.
    Liverpool have probably been enemy number 1 throughout his career given his clubs, and I don't think being a good pal with Gerrard will negate that.
    All he is trying to do is get a better contract.
    I think its delusional for anyone to think this is about money. He'll get £150k a week at United and that'll do him fine. If he leaves it'll be down to his relationship with Ferguson being broken down beyond repair.

Sure, if he leaves, money will likely play a part in who he chooses to go to and he could end up with more than what Utd are offering, but as I say it won't be his primary motivator for leaving.

Where would he go anyway ?
    He wouldn't be suited to (or good enough for ) either Barcelona or Real Madrid .

That's ridiculous, he'd be an excellent fit for Barcelona's team.

#15 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous, he'd be an excellent fit for Barcelona's team.

Wouldn't have thought so. He'd be on the bench as long as Villa is fit.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought so. He'd be on the bench as long as Villa is fit.

Doubt Villa's fitness would have any effect.

Perfect for a high tempo system, intelligent player, good movement. Technique might let him down at times, but he has enough to make up for it.

Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta

Messi-Villa-Rooney

Perfect for a high tempo system, intelligent player, good movement. Technique might let him down at times, but he has enough to make up for it.

Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta

Messi-Villa-Rooney

Wouldn't have thought so. As long as Pep is in charge can't see Pedro being dropped for Rooney unless he's not fit or playing very, very badly.

Wouldn't have thought so. As long as Pep is in charge can't see Pedro being dropped for Rooney unless he's not fit or playing very, very badly.

Well, that's a different discussion (who Pep would prefer).

I was just saying that Rooney is good enough for Barcelona.

FWIW, I know two Barca ST holders who think Rooney is Pep's type of player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta

Messi-Villa-Rooney

Not a chance, his technique is excellent.

• Advertisement

true, its only the last few weeks he has had the first touch of a baby elephant

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He's certainly good enough when Bojan is next up off the bench, but I don't know if Barcelona could afford him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

dfx- wrote: »
    He's certainly good enough when Bojan is next up off the bench, but I don't know if Barcelona could afford him..

I doubt Barcelona can afford him.

Good thread btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Bastian Schweinsteiger is rumoured to be looking to move away from Munich so a swap deal there would be a higher possibility than Real Madrid or Barcelona imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Le King wrote: »
    I doubt Barcelona can afford him.

Good thread btw

as much as I hate to think about it, Bojan, Pedro and a chunk of money wouldn't be terrible. Shame Barca can't afford the chunk of money...if only Ibra was still there to throw into the deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

-Mascherano-
    -Xavi--Iniesta
    Messi-Villa-Rooney

That. is. frightening.

Well, that's a different discussion (who Pep would prefer).

I was just saying that Rooney is good enough for Barcelona.

Ah yeah I'd agree he's good enough, although you never be really that sure in Spain as attacking players are less reliant on pace and more on technique.

I'd be very suprised if Pep would want Rooney to drop a Cantera product who's had a fantastic break through season and got himself in the Spain world cup squad. I'd say Rooney is a player alot of managers would like but I think Barca is one team he would not slot straight into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

In fairness if Rooney regained the form of last year he would be an excellent signing for Barcelona. Would love to see him play for Barca. I think it would be more like this with Pedro getting his fair share of games as well:
    Messi-Rooney-Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ah yeah I'd agree he's good enough, although you never be really that sure in Spain as attacking players are less reliant on pace and more on technique.

You can hardly say that he relies on pace over technique to be fair.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Not a chance, his technique is excellent.

I'd usually agree, except his touch has been off the last few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement