Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

#15 wrote: »
    I'd usually agree, except his touch has been off the last few months.
    Yeah, if he were to keep up his current form he wouldn't be getting near a starting place in any big team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wow - this story seems to have legs. Make no mistake, if Wayne Rooney leaves United then it would be a huge blow to the future of the club. He is the one true world class attacker they have. They are already over-realiant on van der Sar, Scholes & Giggs who are all the wrong side of 35 and need to be replaced sooner rather than later. Rooney's absence toward the end of last season coincided with United's CL exit and defeat to Chelsea in a crucial league clash. They have started this season sluggishly with Rooney way off top form and in and out of the team. Rooney's departure would leave another huge hole in United's squad.

As for possible destinations? It's up to Rooney himself really, he can force through a move to his preferred destination. I'm unsure if Rooney would want a move abroad, so that leaves within England. City and Chelsea (when required) have the cash to finance a bid - although I'm sure United would be very reluctant to do business with either. In fantasy land I'd take him at Spurs, but United would likely be looking for Modric and/or Bale as part of a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Madrid is littered with brothels. That might be the deciding factor for Rooney in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    In fantasy land I'd take him at Spurs, but United would likely be looking for Modric and/or Bale as part of a deal.

Imagine Bale sending in savage crosses from the left for Hernandez to head/faceplant into the back of the net! :eek:

I still want Rooney to stay though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Utd wouldn't want to sell him to another English club so realistically the only options are Real and Barca. Barca could do with him more than Real. If he were to move to Barca it wouldn't be until next summer with a possible agreement in Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Warper wrote: »
    Utd wouldn't want to sell him to another English club so realistically the only options are Real and Barca. Barca could do with him more than Real. If he were to move to Barca it wouldn't be until next summer with a possible agreement in Jan.

United need to balance their books and are in no position to refuse a silly money offer from Chelsea or Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Warper wrote: »

They may have no other option though. If Rooney is insistent on leaving and refuses to go abroad then United really have no option but to sell him within England. The thought of losing him for nothing in 2012 would force the Glazer's hand.

It depends if Rooney just wants to get out of there and doesn't care where he ends up (ala Robinho at Madrid). Obviously in this case United will not sell him to an English club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i think he will be at the club next season and once he starts scoring, this will all blow over. i sense a hat trick on wednesday night, if the lad is a man, he will stand up and be counted.

people can blame fergie, blame the glazers, blame gill all they want, rooney is 100% to blame here. he was injured going into the world cup, but at the same time, the story broke and he got his injuction. he aint been right since. its about time he got on with it and

at the moment, he is 4th choice striker on form and he has to play himself back into the team. berba has 7, hernandez and owen have 3 each and they all derserve to be in the team ahead of him, at the moment...however, form is temp and class is permanent and i expect rooney to burst onto the scene very quickly.

the one advantage rooney has over the likes of stam, beckham and van nistelrooy is timing. stam burnt his bridges at the start of the season, beckham and van nistelrooy towards the end. rooney wont be sold in jan as he will be euro cup tied and united wont sell for a lesser value. if they sell in the summer, they will still get 50-60million and i think by that stage, himself and fergie will hav sorted their issues (if they exist) and it will result in a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

No one will pay €50m next summer with only 12 months of his contract left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Is he already cuptied in Europe this year?

Christ I hope so. If not he better be playing in Europe this week. I'd hate to see him go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You have to wonder where Rooney thinks he's going to fit in at another club.
    The only clubs that you'd expect to be able to afford him are Real madrid, Barcelona, City and Chelsea. All of those sides have an abundance of talent up front all ready, if Rooney is smart he'll keep his mouth and those his "advisors" shut and get on with being a top player who is guaranteed first team football.
    City would love to take him from United just for the sake of rubbing United's nose in it but they've already got too many top class forwards on huge wages to be able to crow bar in an out of form player with wage demands as high as Ronney's.
    I can't see Madrid being too pushed signing him nor Barcelona after they secured David Villa's services in the summer.
    Rooney could be a long term replacement for Dorgba at Chelsea but I don't think Chelsea would be willing to fork out 50 million for his services.

If there was a big club crying out for Rooney you'd probably see some sense in his move away from Old Trafford, right now at least it seems like any move from United could be a step into uncertanty at the very least for Rooney.
    He should really stay put as that would be the most mutually benificial option to him and United.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

nullzero wrote: »
    You have to wonder where Rooney thinks he's going to fit in at another club.
    The only clubs that you'd expect to be able to afford him are Real madrid, Barcelona, City and Chelsea. All of those sides have an abundance of talent up front all ready, if Rooney is smart he'll keep his mouth and those his "advisors" shut and get on with being a top player who is guaranteed first team football.
    City would love to take him from United just for the sake of rubbing United's nose in it but they've already got too many top class forwards on huge wages to be able to crow bar in an out of form player with wage demands as high as Ronney's.
    I can't see Madrid being too pushed signing him nor Barcelona after they secured David Villa's services in the summer.
    Rooney could be a long term replacement for Dorgba at Chelsea but I don't think Chelsea would be willing to fork out 50 million for his services.

If there was a big club crying out for Rooney you'd probably see some sense in his move away from Old Trafford, right now at least it seems like any move from United could be a step into uncertanty at the very least for Rooney.
    He should really stay put as that would be the most mutually benificial option to him and United.

So IF he has fallen out with Fergie, his best move is just to stay where he is and tough it out because he might not end up at Barca, Real, Chelsea or City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

United need to balance their books and are in no position to refuse a silly money offer from Chelsea or Man City.

Really? Do we? Last time I checked we were the best run business in the Premier League.

Wise up next time before commenting on a club's finances when clearly you haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Le King wrote: »
    Really? Do we? Last time I checked we were the best run business in the Premier League.

Wise up next time before commenting on a club's finances when clearly you haven't a clue.

What was your net profit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Paleface wrote: »
    So IF he has fallen out with Fergie, his best move is just to stay where he is and tough it out because he might not end up at Barca, Real, Chelsea or City?

It seems like he has fallen out with Fergie, so unless he goes at the end of his contract he's going to be going to a club that can afford him.
    The problem there is the few clubs that can/could afford him don't really need him or would be putting him behind in form players in their pecking order.
    It was just an obsrevation.
    I do think he's better off staying put though, ever since he opened his mouth about his supposed injury its been a catalogue of aviodable mistakes from Rooney and his "camp".

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Mr Alan wrote: »

Do you understand finance Alan?

I'd hazard a guess by that, that the answer is no.

Net Profit≠The be-all and end-all of finance...

We are the best run business in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What has happened:

- Wayne Rooney cheats on his wife and his personal life is in turmoil, subsequently his form is lost.
    - Sir Alex tells Rooney to take a break and sort his head out, in the meantime he lies to the press LIKE HE DOES NEARLY EVERY WEEK (because he hates the press) and says Wayne Rooney is injured.
    - When asked, Wayne Rooney says he is not injured.
    - The press decide this is a contradiction of the boss, they decide that Rooney and Fergie have a fight and they decide that Rooney will be leaving Manchester United.
    - The press print this non-story and all types of media run with it, as it is major if true.
    - People hear this on the radio etc and as a result, people I know who dont really like football are coming up to me and saying "So Rooney is leaving United?"
    - The Club come out and say its all nonsence. The only actual quote so far from anyone.
    - A new thread was started about a rumour that should have been in the superthread.

What will happen:
    - Wayne Rooney or Sir Alex will come out and say that there has been no breakdown in relations.
    - Wayne Rooney will stay at Manchester United.
    - The press, in an attempt to cover their gigantic pile of shíte story, will run a new story about how Fergie and Rooney had an "air it out" no holding back 1 to 1, heart to heart talk and Ferguson convinced Rooney to stay.
    - Further rumours will be put in the superthreads, not have their own threads.

Thats how I see it, I may be wrong, but these stories pop up all the time, and I think this one is snowballing because Wayne Rooney is public enemy #1 in England at the mo... Oh yeah and the tabloids are absolute flith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

nullzero wrote: »
    It seems like he has fallen out with Fergie, so unless he goes at the end of his contract he's going to be going to a club that can afford him.
    The problem there is the few clubs that can/could afford him don't really need him or would be putting him behind in form players in their pecking order.
    It was just an obsrevation.
    I do think he's better off staying put though, ever since he opened his mouth about his supposed injury its been a catalogue of aviodable mistakes from Rooney and his "camp".

United can't afford to keep an under performing player for two years and then let him leave for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United can't afford to keep an under performing player for two years and then let him leave for free.

obviously there's nothing that can be done to prevent that. If only there was some sort of written document he could sign to pledge to play for United after that...Also a bit of a jump claiming that he's going to be underperforming for 2 years. Mystic Meg?

What is then?
    Liam O wrote: »
    obviously there's nothing that can be done to prevent that. If only there was some sort of written document he could sign to pledge to play for United after that...Also a bit of a jump claiming that he's going to be underperforming for 2 years. Mystic Meg?

There is, but it seems he doesn't want to sign that document. Not really, players who are at clubs they don't want to be tend to under perform.

• Advertisement

Huh?! I'm not too up on finance, but common sense dictates that any business which is making huge losses and seemingly unable to reduce it's debt levels is not 'the best run' in the league. Also my brother, who is very clued in regards to financial matters has looked at your accounts and referred to the situation as dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

In am ideal world we can give you Keane Bently and dos santos for him ;) in fairness his life is in the mud right now it's no wonder he can't perform he'll be back to normal in 2-3 weeks

In am ideal world we can give you Keane Bently and dos santos for him ;) in fairness his life is in the mud right now it's no wonder he can't perform he'll be back to normal in 2-3 weeks

In fairness, I don't think it's quite that simple, he has one goal in 7 months and that was a peno!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

In fairness, I don't think it's quite that simple, he has one goal in 7 months and that was a peno!

IMO he never should of gone to the world cup it was obvious he was carrying an injury I think his problem is he doesn't let himself rest when he should he said himself he hasn't missed a training session when he had a knock at the time so I do believe it's a combination and just a matter of time before he comes good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My Arse, I'd say Spurs are the best run business in the league. Sustainable relatively debt free growth and profitable too.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/moneygame.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Inquitus wrote: »
    My Arse, I'd say Spurs are the best run business in the league. Sustainable relatively debt free growth and profitable too.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/moneygame.pdf

Seconded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

My management accounting lecturer in UCD is a massive United fan and he used their accounts for one of our classes. If you had sat through those classes, you would know just how much crap United are in financially. To paraphrase David Gill, having mountains of debt is the road to ruin.

As for Rooney, I think there has to be truth in some of the reports. Recent weeks behaviour from Ferguson and Rooney suggest as much. Rooney has been terrible in all ways since the Bayern game, even things like smoking and píssing in public show that he is not thinking like a footballer should think. Fergie is right to admonish him. Fergie also tried to keep it all under wraps by allowing Rooney to use the ankle injury as a smokescreen, so pretty bad on Rooney's part to behave like he is.

But that being said, I still see Rooney staying at United. I am not sure there are enough teams out there who can afford Rooney or that Rooney would actually want to go. I imagine this is like the Keane and Vidic scenarios and a contract will be agreed soon. Long-term though, Rooney will probably do a Norman Whiteside or Michael Owen and start to lose some of what made him stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Regards the papers, I was in superquinn there yesterday and saw a big front page of the star exclaiming Rooney is on his way out. Right next to it in the mirror was "Rooney to stay". I can guarantee one of them is right!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There have been a lot of rumours that one of the hooker incidents was filmed at that they were other indiscretions that have not surfaced. If Rooney had cleared the air with SAF & Colleen then surely it would be a big weight off of his mind unless he knew that there was more out there.

SAF makes some mistakes but I totally support him on this one. Man U don't need to be in the headlines for the wrong reasons. If Man U end up being pressurised to sell in Jan then the price will plummet. Maybe Real's comments are the start of this.

The joke could be that we play him, he improves & then the price goes up. But seriously what do you do with an out of form player ?. Give him the games to regain his confidence or keep him on the bench ?.

All of this has shown that Rooney is seriously stupid. This together with an agent who will be eager to earn means that anything could happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

fergie doesnt lie to the press simply cos he hates them. there is a lot of propaganda in there too on his part

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Rooney (near his best) is exactly the type of player Pep Guardiola wants. Hardworking, good football brain and good technique along with the strength and EPL intensity Guardiola is on record (after they last knocked Chelsea out of the CL) as saying he thinks Barca need to dominate Europe.

There is no way United will let him run his contract out, if he's going he will be going at a cut price next summer. £20 -25 mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Haven't you heard net profit and zero debt > silverware
    Huh?! I'm not too up on finance, but common sense dictates that any business which is making huge losses and seemingly unable to reduce it's debt levels is not 'the best run' in the league. Also my brother, who is very clued in regards to financial matters has looked at your accounts and referred to the situation as dire.

LOLz Classic Al, that is all

Huh? How is it classic? Tis true.

Huh? How is it classic? Tis true.

Tis Classic Al in a Mr Al kind of way. It certainly gave me a good laugh.

• Advertisement

Back on topic whats the chance if Rooney and Torres switching sides AL?

Not likely I don't think

Not likely I don't think

It's highly unlikley suppose we'll just buy torres with a chunk of the money we get from city.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

The Muppet wrote: »
    It's highly unlikley suppose we'll just buy torres with a chunk of the money we get from city.

Actually we don't need to sell players to pay interest on debt now. Sorry about that.:pac:

It's highly unlikley suppose we'll just pay off some of the interest with a chunk of the money we get from city.

FYP.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Next club odds have City as favorites. :pac:

Wayne Rooney next club odds

Man City 3.0
    Real Madrid 3.50
    Barcelona 3.75
    Chelsea 10.0
    Inter 15.0
    AC Milan 17.0
    Juventus 21.0
    Arsenal 34.0
    Bayern Munich 41.0
    Everton 51.0
    Liverpool 51.0

Chelsea at 10's. I'd be all over that tbh.

Mister men wrote: »
    Actually we don't need to sell players to pay interest on debt now. Sorry about that.:pac:

I doubt you'll be given a choice ,Can't see him relisihing the prospect of the championship next year can you?

Mister men wrote: »
    Chelsea at 10's. I'd be all over that tbh.

Arn't they trying to cut their wage bill, I can't see him go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Arn't they trying to cut their wage bill, I can't see him go there.

Wouldn't want him anywhere near the club tbh, for the money United would want for him, I can't see him playing at a top level past 28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Torres has to much class about him to join ye lot, what are you lot going buy him with anyway, your in decline, we have accepted it, it will be utd turn soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Drogba is getting on a bit, could see him at Chelsea alright.

dtt6x.jpg

niallo27 wrote: »
    Torres has to much class about him to join ye lot, what are you lot going buy him with anyway, your in decline, we have accepted it, it will be utd turn soon

Heard it all before , even from our own supporters, "Sack Fergie Sell Giggs", What was our response to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Heard it all before , even from our own supporters, "Sack Fergie Sell Giggs", What was our response to that?

Yes but ye were able to buy your way out of it before, 30 million for berbatov 15 for Anderson 15 for nani, cant see ye doing that anymore, money makes the world go round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but ye were able to buy your way out of it before, 30 million for berbatov 15 for Anderson 15 for nani, cant see ye doing that anymore, money makes the world go round

The Glazers have owned the club since 2005. Those signings were in 2007 and 2008. It's not hard to understand Niallo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement