Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SlickRic wrote: »
    he doesn't, but it's just highly highly unlikely.

us football supporters will never learn to wait for the facts, ever. the speculation is just too fun.

LL has it spot on. he'll find his feet again. he's just having a bad few months, personally and professionally, so unless the press really hound him out (it would have to be monumental stuff IMO), then he ain't go anywhere.

i just can't see him going to City. i really can't.

i know he'll be haunted by his 'once a blue, always a blue' line, but he was never really going to stay at Everton. it wasn't a risk to leave. leaving now would be an almighty gamble.

although, i would have to chuckle at a frontline of Tevez and Rooney for City. who'd have ever even dreamed of that possibility 2 years ago?

If it comes down to money I suspect that may well go, If it's true that City are paying Toure over 200k a week what would they offer Rooney? United will not compete with that sort of money nor should they. Of course it could also be pie in the sky stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

mike65 wrote: »
    Read the following carefully

I think Iago is saying most Utd supporters agree the club is in decline (the measure of decline is not relevent to this clarification) but he has phrased it as a negative.

Had he said -

it would have been clearer. Unless Iago actually misrepresented is own feelings (possible)

I did what with the who now??

For the purpose of clarity it is my firm belief that the vast majority of the United support would agree that the club is currently in decline.

The Muppet wrote: »
    If it comes down to money I suspect that may well go, If it's true that City are paying Toure over 200k a week what would they offer Rooney? United will not compete with that sort of money nor should they. Of course it could also be pie in the sky stuff.

You still backing the Glazers these days Muppet? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ah, Man. United and decline, that takes me back to a certain thread last season.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Took time for it to turn into a full on Man u vs liverpool thread.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Iago wrote: »
    I did what with the who now??

For the purpose of clarity it is my firm belief that the vast majority of the United support would agree that the club is currently in decline.

Count me into the minority, They may be in decline but I've been hearing that for a long time now and I,m not convinced its true. They were Second ,last year with very little in it with Chelsea and City improving their squads and United are unbeaten in the league this year though not playing consistently well. The Jury is still out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Took time for it to turn into a full on Man u vs liverpool thread.

In fairness, though it's only 1 poster doing his best to stir shít, but it's not really working.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You still backing the Glazers these days Muppet? ;)

I,m still Supporting Man United If thats what you mean Yes.:D

Hows things on merseyeside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hows things on merseyeside?

Debt free! :p

baz2009 wrote: »
    In fairness, though it's only 1 poster doing his best to stir shít, but it's not really working.
    I'm down for this fight anyway, pistols at dawn mike?

• Advertisement

Debt free! :p

Congratualtions , put it in your trophy cabinet.:D

ooooh your ignore setting appears to have mal functioned:p

Had to take a peek! You know how it is. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,848 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wayne Rooney may be set to take the ultimate revenge on his boss Sir Alex Ferguson - with a sensational move to Manchester City

:eek:

Source

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3186189/Wayne-Rooney-may-take-ultimate-revenge-on-Fergie-and-join-City.html#ixzz12nqlqwJE

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The only use for the sun is if you've run out of bog roll and are desperate.

I didn't know people actually read it?

Source fails.

An light blue looks really bad on Rooney for some reason.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Read the following carefully

I think Iago is saying most Utd supporters agree the club is in decline (the measure of decline is not relevent to this clarification) but he has phrased it as a negative.

Had he said -

it would have been clearer. Unless Iago actually misrepresented is own feelings (possible)

Nope.

What Iago said is.....

"I think there's very few...that would say the club is not in decline"

What is your issue here? It is perfectly clear what he is saying - the club is in decline (rate/measure irrelevant) and that very few fans would disagre.. You have read it wrong, quite simply.

Nope.

What Iago said is.....

What is your issue here? It is perfectly clear what he is saying - the club is in decline (rate/measure irrelevant) and that very few fans would disagre.. You have read it wrong, quite simply.

Buts that what I was saying. Never mind, clearly a communication breakdown.

Had to take a peek! You know how it is. ;)

I know you love me really Mike.

I feel a boycott coming on.

Can't wait to see what kind of reaction Rooney gets tomorrow night if he plays.

gandalf wrote: »
    It's obvious to me that the manager is trying to protect him and instead of realising this Rooney is contradicting him and on a collision course with him. He is obviously letting the media get to him and affect his decision making.

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe Fergie dropped him to take him out of the limelight and used the injury as an excuse. Maybe Fergie wanted to give him some time off to sort his head/life/relationship out and Rooney was an idiot in not realising this.

However, it is also possible Rooney has been dropped as a punishment for cheating on his wife and Rooney is pissed off about that. If rumours of them not having had a civil conversation in a month or so are true, then this is, unfortunately, the more likely of the scenarios.

• Advertisement

and Utd supporters say the club is not in decline.

Mike, I don't see the mix up, you're point is the exact opposite of what Iago said?

You said that fans don't say there is a decline, he said they do.

Hopefully a good one.

If we want him to stay, we need to let him know that imo.

Hell, fans screamed and cheered for Tevez while he publically tried to make an arse out of Fergie; Rooney's name should be sang out constantly for 90mins tomorrow by the same standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I think people just need to deal with the facts here. Rooney won't sign a new contract for United because he knows that City,Real or Chelsea will pay him huge money 200,000+ a week. Anybody who is thinking "he'll stay at United because he loves the club" or "he's more chance of winning things at United" is deluded. He left the club he loves as a 18 year old for more money and no doubt will do the same now. Also despite what people think of Wayne i'm sure he or his agent are not idiots. They see the fact United are'nt able to compete with the big guns transfer wise and are finance wise in huge trouble. But bottom line like most football players think is why stay at a football club for X amount of money when another club is offering you double that?

Mister men wrote: »
    I think people just need to deal with the facts here. Rooney won't sign a new contract for United because he knows that City,Real or Chelsea will pay him huge money 200,000+ a week. Anybody who is thinking "he'll stay at United because he loves the club" or "he's more chance of winning things at United" is deluded. He left the club he loves as a 18 year old for more money and no doubt will do the same now. Also despite what people think of Wayne i'm sure he or his agent are not idiots. They see the fact United are'nt able to compete with the big guns transfer wise and are finance wise in huge trouble. But bottom line like most football players think is why stay at a football club for X amount of money when another club is offering you double that?
    I saw no facts in any of that, just conjecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I saw no facts in any of that, just conjecture.

It's at least well-reasoned conjecture, as opposed to believing that Rooney will stay at the club out of loyalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Well Rooney is clearly not injured and more than likely is going to play tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9106254.stm

Paleface wrote: »
    Well Rooney is clearly not injured and more than likely is going to play tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9106254.stm
    Who's he playing for tonight then?

Cause united are playing tomorrow night.

I edited my post.

Relax for Rooney's sake!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Maybe something like this:

"Fergie,
    Sign him up!
    Fergie, Fergie
    Sign him up!"

• Advertisement

It's at least well-reasoned conjecture, as opposed to believing that Rooney will stay at the club out of loyalty.
    Well reasoned my arse, there hasn't even been a whisper of him being disappointed, the whole thing is conjecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Only 1 hour until all this is over, can't wait :cool:

Well reasoned my arse, there hasn't even been a whisper of him being disappointed, the whole thing is conjecture.

Isn't that the way these things go, It's all politics, the circumstances make all this credible IMO.

Isn't that the way these things go, It's all politics, the circumstances make all this credible IMO.
    It was the same with Vidic last year, apparently he wasn't signing a contract and he was leaving for Barcelona :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I either see some quotes, or see him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good lord, I'm watching Fox Sports Australia and the ever knowledgeable (snigger) Mark Bosnich is giving his views.

Says that he thinks Fergie has been told he has to sell Rooney by the board a good bit before the end of his contract as there won't be any money made available for new players until some leave. Selling Rooney now maximises the funds United get and the private life stuff came along at the perfect time to form part of the excuse.

Absolute bollox imo.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Good lord, I'm watching Fox Sports Australia and the ever knowledgeable (snigger) Mark Bosnich is giving his views.

Says that he thinks Fergie has been told he has to sell Rooney by the board a good bit before the end of his contract as there won't be any money made available for new players until some leave. Selling Rooney now maximises the funds United get and the private life stuff came along at the perfect time to form part of the excuse.

Absolute bollox imo.
    I woudln't be one bit surprised if he was actually high.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

Absolute bollox imo.

If that was the case it would have made sense to sell him in the summer, not with 18/12 months left on his contract.

Australia. A hotbed of football knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I woudln't be one bit surprised if he was actually high.

Could very well be when you see his punditry.
    If that was the case it would have made sense to sell him in the summer, not with 18/12 months left on his contract.

I think it's just a case of Rooney wanting a bigger contract and knowing he now has room to bargain.
    Mister men wrote: »
    Australia. A hotbed of football knowledge.

Stereotypes. Awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Is that really necessary?

Once a blue always a red til a blue again

• Advertisement

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Is that really necessary?
    Light hearted ribbing, Sheesh, he didn't have a problem, he made a joke, why is it an issue to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Its amazing how this thing has gained legs so quickly, to the extent that it was one of the main headlines on the RTE News last night - this despite any direct quotes from player, his advisors, Ferguson or anyone at Old Trafford.

The most likely explanation is his manouevering for a better contract.

If he does want to leave then leave him off. Thats soccer for you. Better men than him have left OT and they mnaged to keep the show on the road. There's plenty whores in Barcelona and Madrid.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Don't expect the press conference at 2pm to reveal anything of value. I'm sure Ferguson will say things along the lines of 'concentrating on the next game', etc. Just because he has to talk to the press, doesn't mean he'll give them what they want.

Don't expect the press conference at 2pm to reveal anything of value. I'm sure Ferguson will say things along the lines of 'concentraing on the next game', etc. Just because he has to talk to the press, doesn't mean he'll give them what they want.

Yes I fully expect the same although I'd give anything to see Fergie explode at some journalist!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm sure Ferguson will say things along the lines of 'concentraing on the next game', etc.

have you seen Ferguson angry at a press conference?

he's more likely to tell them to shut the fúck up or something. he doesn't like controversial questions; never mind questions which may chink his armour which protects him as the greatest manager ever.

he'd rather just end the conference early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

It was the same with Vidic last year, apparently he wasn't signing a contract and he was leaving for Barcelona :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I either see some quotes, or see him leave.

I can't believe the momentum this story has gathered considering there has not been any quotes from anyone, not even a "source close to the player"!!!!
    This is a total non-runner IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Would love to see Rooney beside Fergie at the conference and the two of them laughing and taking the mick out of the media guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Count me into the minority, They may be in decline but I've been hearing that for a long time now and I,m not convinced its true. They were Second ,last year with very little in it with Chelsea and City improving their squads and United are unbeaten in the league this year though not playing consistently well. The Jury is still out for me.

There is no Jury is still out....

Competition 07/08 08/09 09/10 10/11
    PL 1st 1st 2nd 4th currently
    CL 1st 2nd QF ??
    FA QF SF 3rd R ??
    LC 3rd R 1st 1st ??

+

- We've lost Hargreaves, Ronaldo and Tevez.
    - Scholes, Giggs, Van Der Sar & Neville are all pretty much finished this year (last year in the case of Neville)
    - Ferdinand is nowhere near the player he was in 07/08

Our First XI in 07/08

Van Der Sar (37)

Brown (28)
    Ferdinand (29)
    Vidic (26)
    Evra (26)

Carrick (26)
    Scholes (33)
    Giggs (34)

Ronaldo (22)
    Tevez (23)
    Rooney (22)

Subs: Nani (21), Anderson (19), Hargreaves (26), O'Shea (26), Park (26), Fletcher (23), Saha (29), Kuszczak (25)

Our First XI in 10/11

Van Der Sar (40)

O'Shea (29)
    Vidic (29)
    Ferdinand (32)
    Evra (29)

Valencia (25)
    Scholes (36)
    Fletcher (26)
    Nani (24)

Rooney (25)
    Berbatov (29)

Subs: Carrick (29), Anderson (22), Giggs (37), Hernandez (22), Owen (31), Brown (31), Fabio (20), Kuszczak (28)

So we have a poorer First XI, a poorer Substitutes bench, and most of the players that have been real differentiators for us are either gone, crocked or getting too old to keep the levels up.

We are clearly in decline, but hopefully in a couple of years the younger players will step up and be as good as Fergie thinks they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its amazing how this thing has gained legs so quickly, to the extent that it was one of the main headlines on the RTE News last night - this despite any direct quotes from player, his advisors, Ferguson or anyone at Old Trafford.

The most likely explanation is his manouevering for a better contract.

If he does want to leave then leave him off. Thats soccer for you. Better men than him have left OT and they mnaged to keep the show on the road. There's plenty whores in Barcelona and Madrid.:pac:

The whole thing reminds me slightly of the Roy Keane's "Pay up or I'm off the Juve" escapades all those years ago.

Direct quotes would calirify a lot of these stories we're hearing, I can't imagine Rooney even being aloud into Carrington today had he actually said United "lack ambition". I'd say fergie would be still reversing over him in his Audi as we speak if that was actually true.

Maybe I'm holding onto the hope that our prize asset isn't leaving us in the lurch because if that is the case we're certainly going to lose a lot of credibilty with any prospective top players we may want to sign in the future.

The whole thing hasn't been good for the club or for Rooney just a sorry mess that can hopefully be cleared up.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Paleface wrote: »
    Yes I fully expect the same although I'd give anything to see Fergie explode at some journalist!!

Although, this may suggest otherwise:

Gill said: "We will say something at a more appropriate time, and this is not an appropriate time."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/18/wayne-rooney-manchester-city-united

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement