Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sweet Jesus he actually wants to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Never seen Fergie like that, he looked broken. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'd say he only want to leave for the guarantee of CL football which United may not be able to provide in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fantastic news for the rest of the league.

United will become just that bit more ordinary without him.
    Not so sure. He hasn't done a tap in 10 games and hasnt exactly cost Utd points this season now has he? Look at the back 5 for that, *points finger* :D

Really depends who they replace him with, if its nobody then yes I agree but if they spend a few bob on a decent established signing no issue imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

In fairness it's not like Rooney has put a decent shift in for the past 7 months... Just expect more of the same from United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Fantastic news for the rest of the league.

United will become just that bit more ordinary without him.

Even Fergie's not stubborn enough to not get a decent replacement.

Could be a blessing in diguise. Probably not, but I can hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So is Rooney gonna be the new Tevez now for alot of United fans I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

“So, white liquid in a bottle: milk. You will know who is to blame.” :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wow, just wow.

The sad part, apart from losing Rooney, is that I have no expectation of the money being re-invested in the team.

I wonder whats going on in Rooneys head, where hes looking to go, and why he wnats to leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

lol, now he's leaving all the United fans come out and go on about how over-rated he is. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

He's not left yet, though, has he? All Fergie has said is that he wants out. A lot can change in the time before a potential transfer, I don't think this is necessarily the end of Rooney's United career.

Ush1 wrote: »
    So is Rooney gonna be the new Tevez now for alot of United fans I wonder.

If he goes to City it'll be a lot, lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

TheDoc wrote: »
    a far more worrying situation for Strikers in my view is Torres at liverpool. Looks jaded and unwilling, clearly regrests his move and will be gone in January or Summer. That loss will be a proper blow for a football club.

Torres to United in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

baz2009 wrote: »
    Even Fergie's not stubborn enough to not get a decent replacement.

Could be a blessing in diguise. Probably not, but I can hope.

United fans were saying the same when Ronaldo left. It's very hard to replace players of such a class, doubly so when you've got a mountain of debt to pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If he goes to City it'll be a lot, lot worse.

Why?

this is absolutely hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I can already sense the movement of the faithful from admiration of the greatest player in the league to anger at an over rated bully that Utd are better off without.

(just like a certain Mr Tevez)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sizzler wrote: »
    Not so sure. He hasn't done a tap in 10 games and hasnt exactly cost Utd points this season now has he? Look at the back 5 for that, *points finger* :D

Really depends who they replace him with, if its nobody then yes I agree but if they spend a few bob on a decent established signing no issue imho.

You have to look at it over 38 games though. He scored 26 (I think) league goals last year. Where will those goals come from now? I don't any of the remaining strikers apart from maybe Berbatov have it in them to break 20 goals, nevermind match that.

The replacement will be key but how many world class or even excellent players are signed in the January window? You're really talking next summer which means damage limitation for the next six months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If Fergie picks him, the proposed move may perk him up a bit. Might actually do well for Man Utd between now and his departure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

joe316 wrote: »
    So im the child when after the club has stood by him and made him the player he is now and throws his toys out of the pram. Only one child here and his first name is Wayne.
    You're the child for your reaction just as he is for his
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    They are the exception to the term loyalty??

Think about what you just said for a minute.
    They're the exception in that they've been at the same club for their careers. The definition of loyalty for them is well above that of loyalty for most players, who move after a few years. That doesn't mean they (as in players who move) are not loyal, and comparing them to rare instances of staying at the same club is unfair. Anyone who genuinely thought Rooney would stay at United for his entire career is dilusional, same goes for Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Not today niallo, any chance you could keep your trolling to yourself for one day?

Just the one?

Too much to ask?

I'm only taking the piss, ye did it to us for long enough, in all seriousness he looked like a broken man, words coming out slowly, the man is 69, this can't be good for his health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If a player wants to leave, what exact fault is that of the club, except perhaps pampering an ego?

united will go on without, sure its a loss, for a while, until the next big thing comes along.

Didnt seem to be a big ruckus like the ronaldo incident. When a player like Rooney is out of form and has a serious ****ed up personal situation, might be best to send him packing.

He will live to regret I'm sure if he doesn't go on to achieve alot of honours.

He may not have won every trophy every season with united, but its rare you can etch yourself into a clubs history for decades to come.

Being labelled alongside Best,Cantona, Giggs, Schmeichal , Keane and a list of others, that to me is worth all the champions league medals in the world.

And somthing money wont buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

United fans were saying the same when Ronaldo left. It's very hard to replace players of such a class, doubly so when you've got a mountain of debt to pay off.

Will you stop spouting that bitter shíte you always come out with. Manchester United isn't 19th in the table, but if it makes you feel better about your club making up stories about ours, then, go ahead, just don't do it in here.

Debt is being taken care of, thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Quoted so you can't edit later on ;)

Np but it might be €5k in pennies.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Why?

He has said he wants to stay with United, loves United etc. etc., nearly sure I saw him throw a few digs at City, too.

Plus, Tevez isn't English so it'll always be different, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Your debt is a serious problem and thats why ye havent bought anyone major in 2 years! No money, no ambition and thats why Rooney wants out!

I read in the Guardian I think that his missus won't move out of England due to a sister with a terminal disease.

City or Chelsea it is.

Or could John Henry dig deep?

Le King wrote: »

Sure is, by selling your best players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

MaceFace wrote: »
    I can already sense the movement of the faithful from admiration of the greatest player in the league to anger at an over rated bully that Utd are better off without.

(just like a certain Mr Tevez)

Well for me, as a player I love him, as a person he is a knob. I hope he changes his mind but if he really wants to go then thanks for the memories Wayne.
    All I am concerned about is who we replace him with.

Sure is, by selling your best players

Yes, because it was the clubs decision to sell him.

Is this be an idiot day or something?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I read in the Guardian I think that his missus won't move out of England due to a sister with a terminal disease.

Maybe that won't be an issue by the time his contract is up

Will you stop spouting that bitter shíte you always come out with. Manchester United isn't 19th in the table, but if it makes you feel better about your club making up stories about ours, then, go ahead, just don't do it in here.

Boo hoo. Debts taken care of? Where did the Ronaldo money go? How did you manage to make a loss despite record operating profits? Seriously, get your head out of the sand.

Yes, because it was the clubs decision to sell him.

Was not the clubs decision to sell them it was the players decision to leave!!

Think its stick your head in the sand day for many

Your debt is a serious problem and thats why ye havent bought anyone major in 2 years! No money, no ambition and thats why Rooney wants out!

Not United's fault, tbf, the greedy things in charge.

It's really hard to be angry when you're not allowed abuse anyone.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Maybe that won't be an issue by the time his contract is up

Bit harsh, she only has MS..

Boo hoo. Debts taken care of? Where did the Ronaldo money go? How did you manage to make a loss despite record operating profits? Seriously, get your head out of the sand.

I refuse to discuss financial analysis with you. Your full of it, you'd think you might of learned something about finance living in Frankfurt. Obviously not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

If a player wants to leave, what exact fault is that of the club, except perhaps pampering an ego?

united will go on without, sure its a loss, for a while, until the next big thing comes along.

Didnt seem to be a big ruckus like the ronaldo incident. When a player like Rooney is out of form and has a serious ****ed up personal situation, might be best to send him packing.

He will live to regret I'm sure if he doesn't go on to achieve alot of honours.

He may not have won every trophy every season with united, but its rare you can etch yourself into a clubs history for decades to come.

Being labelled alongside Best,Cantona, Giggs, Schmeichal , Keane and a list of others, that to me is worth all the champions league medals in the world.

And somthing money wont buy

Very well said.

Not United's fault, tbf, the greedy things in charge.

It's really hard to be angry when you're not allowed abuse anyone.:mad:

Wants to leave to win things, UTd not willing to spend, Rooney got annoyed Ronaldo not replaced so said thats it, gave ye two summers and not a single class player signed. I am out of here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

He would be crazy to pick Man City - not just for cross-city rivalry reasons - but because the club is becoming an ever bigger bubble than United. Plus, he won't have the same level of dressing room influence.

• Advertisement

I refuse to discuss financial analysis with you. Your full of it, you'd think you might of learned something about finance living in Frankfurt. Obviously not.

You refuse to discuss because you're ignorant to the issues. Please, explain how the debt is "being taken care of". I'm always open to education!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Torres to United in January?

I wouldnt completely rule it out, we can see how much players have when it comes to choosing a move.

If Torres feels it a good move he might go.

Liverpool fans are quick to froget when he joined liverpool he said he would leave to try his luck in Italy before retiring, so that he could be a success in what he sees as the three major leagues in the world.

I admire Torres for that ambition, he could have made a huge money move to pretty much anywhere. someone who values etching himself into the books is someone worth cheering for.

I dont think he has proved himself to be as succesful in England as Spain, and at his age, he ight look for another english club before moving ti Italy later on down the line.

Considering Torres' form and desire to leave, and his proneness to injury I would guess he could be bought after a rooney sale ( assuming a good price is fetched for rooney0 with cash to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rarnes1 wrote: »

City or Chelsea it is.

Or could John Henry dig deep?

We dont want him........unless its going cost us at max 20 million :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wants to leave to win things, UTd not willing to spend, Rooney got annoyed Ronaldo not replaced so said thats it, gave ye two summers and not a single class player signed. I am out of here!!

Quite possible.

If Rooney won't discuss a contract at all, it would indicate that it isn't just about money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Daemos wrote: »
    I don't get commemts like this. After years of loyal service to the club he's immediately turned on by 'fans' when he says he wants to leave. Childish bullsh1t.
    When was Rooney ever loyal? Look at the way he fucked over his childhood club Everton. The way he left them was a disgrace which United and Ferguson helped happen that way who deserve this shitstorm that they are in now.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Bit harsh, she only has MS..

Meant be mightn't be married

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He would be crazy to pick Man City - not just for cross-city rivalry reasons - but because the club is becoming an ever bigger bubble than United. Plus, he won't have the same level of dressing room influence.

He's running out of clubs isn't he. Can't see him going to Liverpool - if he wants to stay in the North West it has to be Tranmere. He'd be delighted to go back to Merseyside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

lol, now he's leaving all the United fans come out and go on about how over-rated he is. :pac:

Indeed. However, let's not ignore the fact that's he's been off form this season. Then again, he's carrying injuries and I don't think many doubt that he'll regain his form at some point, and return to his world class status, similar to Torres situation imo.

Where does he go next? That's the real question. I'd prefer him to go to City personally than Chelsea. Chelsea have a much better team and squad, and imo are the only ones with a squad that is better than United's. Better let the talent spread around, especially at City where I'd take a great joy in Tevez playing second fiddle to him again. That's just me being vindictive.

I'd rather enjoy, from a footballing perspective, seeing him play with Ronaldo again. The added benefit to that is that he leaves the country. United haven't sold a player to a competing club in the same league in a very long time, probably Veron, and in the past 10 years I can only think of us selling a player who we wanted to keep once, and that was Ronaldo. I can see Fergie digging his heels in and insisting that he goes abroad.

However, the Glazers will want to see maximum money gotten, and I'd say that City will offer 10 million above everything that Madrid off. Can see him going there to be honest.

Then again, it really isn't clear why he is moving. Is it for money, in which case City are a good bet? Or is it to win things, which while Utd are on the down-turn no doubt, I don't think there's many people who would argue that City are the place to go right now if you want to win the CL and PL. As such, you'd be looking at Chelsea and Madrid as the realistic options, maybe Inter but I can't see it.

The thing is, what puts him in a strong position is that he's only 18 months out and his value is dropping rapidly after January. As such, Chelsea and Madrid can probably get him for the price they want, I'd guess between 30-40 million, while City can offer 50-60 or whatever they feel like, and it can go into the PIK interest for one more year.

All in all, depending on why he is leaving, I will feel anger or sadness. If he's leaving because he genuinely doesn't think United can let him win everything he wants to win, I do respect that. I feel sad that United has gotten to that point, but I respect it.

If it's something else, possibly money, possibly his relationship with Ferguson, whatever. Either way, if that's the reason, **** him. United have existed long before him and will exist long after him. He gave us some great performances and great seasons, and thanks for the memories, but if you really choose money over being at United and winning things, then I really couldn't care less where you play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wouldnt completely rule it out, we can see how much players have when it comes to choosing a move.

If Torres feels it a good move he might go.

Liverpool fans are quick to froget when he joined liverpool he said he would leave to try his luck in Italy before retiring, so that he could be a success in what he sees as the three major leagues in the world.

I admire Torres for that ambition, he could have made a huge money move to pretty much anywhere. someone who values etching himself into the books is someone worth cheering for.

I dont think he has proved himself to be as succesful in England as Spain, and at his age, he ight look for another english club before moving ti Italy later on down the line.

Considering Torres' form and desire to leave, and his proneness to injury I would guess he could be bought after a rooney sale ( assuming a good price is fetched for rooney0 with cash to spare.

Why would Torres leave one sinking ship to join another?

• Advertisement

Was not the clubs decision to sell them it was the players decision to leave!!

English?
    Think its stick your head in the sand day for many

lol what? You said it as if United wanted to sell Rooney to pay off our debt. What a stupid statement to make.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement