Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inherantley defective laptop can i claim refund or repair 2 years on ?

Options
  • 17-10-2010 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Basically i have had the laptop 2 years and it has just stopped working i have discovered its a manufacturer problem with this batch of laptops. can i get a full refund ? or would i HAVE to take a repair if they offered it? also just so i know whats what when i go to the shop why do i have 6 years is it because its a manufacturer problem and therfor they are at fault? i just need to know my rights and be clear when i try get a refund .

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is no 6 year limit on rights, only reasonable time frame. I believe a contract has a 6 year statute of limitations, which is where the mention of a maximum of 6 years may come from.

If a fault develops in any item, within a reasonable time frame, then the retailer or manufacturer must offer a repair, replacement or refund. You cannot insist on one, but one must be offered. If they refuse any recourse, then you can use the Small Claims Court to look for what you want.

First call, go to the retailer and tell them you want to return it. If they refuse, write a letter to the management and give them a time period to respond (say 10 working days perhaps). If no response is received, then take it to the court.

Read this for more information.
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if it is a known crapheap like the xps1330 series or indeed anything with the defective Nvidia 3d cards then probably yes. Read this here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Just remember even if you prove the item is defective and you argue the case for a refund that you may not get a full refund as the seller would have grounds for a partial refund due to the item having been used successfully for the past two years.

Advertisement