Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English premier league - wounded animal?

• 17-10-2010 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I'll be slated for this but 72% of what I post gets shat on anyway so what harm.

Liverpool are a very sick team at the moment. Liverpool fans are finding it hard to accept, a lot of them looking for some kind of scapegoat..some kind of reason why this collapse is happening. I saw a lot of them celebrating and thanking god for these new owners...some people even goading united fans by saying "we have money now and you're just jealous - watch this space". I think we can all agree that's silly talk. What's not silly though, is the very real relegation battle that Liverpool could be in come may.

Man Utd were diagnosed with their sickness last year and as time goes on, unless a miracle cure is found...they could be down there with Liverpool. Ferguson has become bigger than the club in my opinion and that's never good wherever you are.

And here's where I get to the point. The most successful club in the history of The English league and the most successful of the last 20 years - both under pressure. Chelsea and man city received booster injections to get where they are now...everyone else languishes in mid table.

All the while the players are still in fantasy land earning thousands a week, totally out of touch with real life.

The world cup annoyed me. The world cup final sickened me. But I held out some hope for an exciting premier league. It's been poor so far - a long way from soccer's glory days and probably making Sky's premier league years redundant.

My question to you friendly, learned folks on the soccer forum...are you still as interested in the premier league as ever? If not why not. If yes, why?

(excuse any misspellings - the phone I'm on doesn't like grammar)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I find myself watching more and more Spanish and German football every weekend, tbh. PL games are quite boring in the majority. Blackpool have injected a nice slice of life into the season, it'd be very dull without them, tbh.
    It looks as if Chelsea will run away with the league, hopefully United can muster up a challenge to make it a bit exciting. Relegation battle will be more interesting, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

3 or 4 years ago there was threads complaining that it was too predictable and that Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea/MUFC would be the top4 in some order for the next decade, finishing comfortably clear of fifth place each time.

Now one of those big 4 is in disarray in 19th in the table and MUFC are beginning to look as if they might slip away in the next few seasons. Meanwhile Tottenham and Man City have joined the ranks of the serious contenders at the top of the table.

You could argue that rather than a sign of a 'wounded animal' that its a refreshing sign of the competitive long term health of the league.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

very surprised that 72% of what your post gets shat on OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

3 or 4 years ago there was threads complaining that it was too predictable and that Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea/MUFC would be the top4 in some order for the next decade, finishing comfortably clear of fifth place each time.

Now one of those big 4 is in disarray in 19th in the table and MUFC are beginning to look as if they might slip away in the next few seasons. Meanwhile Tottenham and Man City have joined the ranks of the serious contenders at the top of the table.

You could argue that rather than a sign of a 'wounded animal' that its a refreshing sign of the competitive long term health of the league.
    Perhaps it seems a wounded animal as the large majority of the Irish fans are either Liverpool or Utd who are both going through a turbulent time at the moment obviously City was always going to shake things up but now hopefully so can spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

The world cup annoyed me. The world cup final sickened me. But I held out some hope for an exciting premier league. It's been poor so far - a long way from soccer's glory days and probably making Sky's premier league years redundant.
    )

This year has seen more goals and red cards in the first few mathces than ever before its been really exciting.

I agree with most of your points though in general. Although I think United have plenty of youth coming through it just depends whether thsi genesis of youth can withstand the pressure nad become really exceptional talent.

There is also the UEFA/FIFA protocals coming into effect in the next few years and it will be hard to determine how city will be able to cope with that. It seems teams that are investing in youth and soud basing in talent and loyalty might be rewarded in the long term ie, the 5-10 year period.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

the e.p.l. is like our property bubble over here,it cant go on like it is with crazy money being splashed players.in five or six years time some of the big english clubs may no longer exist!

the e.p.l. is like our property bubble over here,it cant go on like it is with crazy money being splashed players.in five or six years time some of the big english clubs may no longer exist!
    It's not the big English clubs that are in trouble though it's the small to medium sized ones that are Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, City,Liverpool(due to removal of debt this week) all look good for the future even United will be fine there Debts can be absorbed by the club with some frugalness in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

UEFA rules on financial prudence which will soon come into force will be sure to shake things up a bit. I imagine that Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd will have to completely restructure their financial model if they wish to carry on playing in European competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The only time I watch the EPL is when I'm checking on some old players from the LOI/Hamburg. It's a very boring league imo(don't shoot me).

It's the whole money thing that annoys me most, it's gotten way out of hand in the last few seasons and it's only going to get worse. When will the premier league decide to do something about it? When every single team is deep in the red?

50+1 rule FTW :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'd bet my username that Liverpool will be comfortably out of the relegation zone by Christmas, and people like the OP will then be saying "oh, sure they were never going to be relegated anyways, everyone knew that."
    IMO armanijeans summed it up perfectly. I think because of all the publicity Sky gives the PL you will always have people trying to knock it at every attempt, saying "oh I dont buy into all that greatest league in the world crap".

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    It's a very boring league imo(don't shoot me).

How would you now if you dont watch it eh?

How would you now if you dont watch it eh?

Should have made it clearer. I used to watch it but stopped following it regularly because it started to bore me and the money was getting ridiculous.

Still the same but like I said I watch to see ex LOI/Hamburg players now.
    Watching a lot of Everton this year since Seamus Coleman is a starter :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The apparent stability of the last 10-15 years or so is certainly missing, one wonders what would happen if say LFC and Man U got relegated (neither will happen!) and stayed down for a few seasons (and that wouldn't happen either but bear with me) you'd have so much money leaving the league as TV deals suddenly became worth less, as sponsership fell, as overseas packages lost value, PL gate averages fell, the whole edifice could crumble under the weight of players wages alone. Sounds mad obviously yes and I use an extreme example - so many smaller teams look forward to a visit from Utd and Liverpool as it means a full house, a decent slot on MOTD for once, plenty of newspaper scribblings and general raising of a clubs profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I love the premier league as much as ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

THFC wrote: »
    I'd bet my username that Liverpool will be comfortably out of the relegation zone by Christmas, and people like the OP will then be saying "oh, sure they were never going to be relegated anyways, everyone knew that."
    IMO armanijeans summed it up perfectly. I think because of all the publicity Sky gives the PL you will always have people trying to knock it at every attempt, saying "oh I dont buy into all that greatest league in the world crap".

The fact is, they're in the relegation zone now and that's enough of a problem.

And it's nothing to do with sky, the premier league is over rated. You only have to look at their national team to see that.

And it's nothing to do with sky, the premier league is over rated. You only have to look at their national team to see that.

Viewing figures and the cost of tv rights around the world would say differently

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Viewing figures and the cost of tv rights around the world would say differently

I see your point and raise you the X- Factor.

I see your point and raise you the X- Factor.

lol

top players still want to play in the premiership though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I'll be slated for this but 72% of what I post gets shat on anyway so what harm.

Liverpool are a very sick team at the moment. Liverpool fans are finding it hard to accept, a lot of them looking for some kind of scapegoat..some kind of reason why this collapse is happening. I saw a lot of them celebrating and thanking god for these new owners...some people even goading united fans by saying "we have money now and you're just jealous - watch this space". I think we can all agree that's silly talk. What's not silly though, is the very real relegation battle that Liverpool could be in come may.

Man Utd were diagnosed with their sickness last year and as time goes on, unless a miracle cure is found...they could be down there with Liverpool. Ferguson has become bigger than the club in my opinion and that's never good wherever you are.

And here's where I get to the point. The most successful club in the history of The English league and the most successful of the last 20 years - both under pressure. Chelsea and man city received booster injections to get where they are now...everyone else languishes in mid table.

All the while the players are still in fantasy land earning thousands a week, totally out of touch with real life.

My question to you friendly, learned folks on the soccer forum...are you still as interested in the premier league as ever? If not why not. If yes, why?

What about Arsenal making good profits, bringing though good young players and reducing their dept every year.

Look well set for the future.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »

TV Rights costs are an absolute joke.
    They are so high because the league is so hyped the PL know they can get that much money for them. Providers will pay that much because they know too that the league is so hyped they'll get the viewers.

Vicious circle..:pac:

What about Arsenal making good profits, bringing though good young players and reducing their dept every year.

Look well set for the future.

Yep. Very good point. Apologies to gunners fans.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    TV Rights costs are an absolute joke.
    They are so high because the league is so hyped the PL know they can get that much money for them. Providers will pay that much because they know too that the league is so hyped they'll get the viewers.

Vicious circle..:pac:

If something is hyped you see through that and so will not watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

La Liga is streets ahead imo.

Much prefer watching the weekend La Liga games on Sky than any Premiership games. Skill levels across the league are on a different planet to the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

No, Im not nearly as interested as I was mere weeks ago, why? because I went to a LOI match and found that I much prefer the buzz of actually attending the match than sitting in front of the box at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

And since when has the PL been a reflection of the England national team? Some teams dont even have any English players ffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think it's becoming less popular in Ireland because so the general big Red teams are faltering. It's probably the most open and competitive league in Europe at the moment and the standard of football is still probably the best or on par at least with La Liga. (fast physical vs slow technical).

La Liga has attracted more stars recently but that is mainly due to the tax rate for professional footballers was ridiculously low, that has changed this year and any newly registered player will have to pay pretty much the same taxes as the UK so La Liga will be less of a magnet for the world's best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I like it more than ever. Why? Cause we're finally good.

THFC wrote: »
    And since when has the PL been a reflection of the England national team? Some teams dont even have any English players ffs...

And that's my point.

• Advertisement

In view of recent developments with a certain player, I think Fergie's comment pretty much sums up the future of the Prem

"There was one player, yes, we would have liked to have got and he chose another club. I don't think he wanted to come to England.

"Some players don't want to leave their country and it's a fact of life. If they don't want to leave, we just forget about it."

In view of recent developments with a certain player, I think Fergie's comment pretty much sums up the future of the Prem

"There was one player, yes, we would have liked to have got and he chose another club. I don't think he wanted to come to England.

"Some players don't want to leave their country and it's a fact of life. If they don't want to leave, we just forget about it."

A lot of people especially from Spain hate the English climate

A lot of people especially from Spain hate the English climate

By climate I hope you mean social climate ;-)

Advertisement