Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When watching anime must you watch the entire series in one sitting?

Options
  • 17-10-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Ive heard that to really enjoy anime you have to watch the series within 2-3 days, not like a episode a week. Is this true do you think?

And what about watching multiple series at the same time-is that confusing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I can't watch any shows one a week anymore (excluding those with don't have an underlying plot of course), I have to wait until the series is over and watch them all in a couple of days or I'll have no clue what's going on.

Obviously I'm therefore going to tell you to watch in one sitting, but I can't see why anime would be any different than regular shows in this respect. If you can watch other shows once a week and don't mind I imagine you could do it for anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I find if I watch too many in one sitting I can easily get distracted thinking about it too much and I like to mull over things that have happend and think baout episodes and themes brought up before being spoon fed it instantly. I prefer to watch 3or4 episodes at a time depending on social/work life.

Well a 30 min programme that has 30 episodes will be approx 15 hours of footage. I am rounding up but thats to just get teh genearl idea of what the times would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

If a series is already complete when I start watching it I'll often through boredom or impatience watch it allover the space of a couple of days, but if I'm watching something that's currently still being aired I'll happily watch it weekly.
    I have a tendancy to burn through series' pretty quickly if I'm really enjoying them, or I'm supposed to be studying for something (Zoids: Chaotic Century and Last Exile almost cost me my degree XD). There are exceptions though, like Highschool of the Dead. I had to watch that in a couple of rapid sittings to get it over with as quickly as possible >_<

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Last time I done that was a 2 day sit through the Code Geass series, and I think it was Death Note before that. Can't do it anymore, too much going on in my life to sit down and watch an entire series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I have a stupidly short attention span so even if I LOVE a show, I can only manage about 3 episodes in a row before getting bored/distracted/extremely fidgety. I also watch several series at a time (again, to keep the aul attention span in order) and I don't find it confusing at all.

It's mostly a personal thing so do whatever suits you best :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

nudist wrote: »
    Ive heard that to really enjoy anime you have to watch the series within 2-3 days.

No. IF you really enjoy an anime you'll watch it within 2-3 days. Shows for me are best watched without any overly long breaks from watching, if you leave it alone for too long, you begin to forget details of why stuff is happening in the current episode you're watching. Watching around 2-3 eps a day or something like that is nice because you won't feel like you're rushing through it, and it's just enough episodes that you won't get mixed up about what happened in which episode and you can give yourself time to think about and reflect on what's going on in the series. Although I will watch a series in 2-3 days, but only because I'm absolutely loving the show, it happens naturally.

And as is the trend with these sorts of threads, here's the fun facts part about myself relating to this.

Gundam Wing - I started off slow, but ended up watching 6-7 episodes a night, and ended up absolutely screwing up my internal clock, I slept all day and was up all night for around 2 weeks after that.

Hellsing - Started it in the morning, finished it at 6pm. Was gagging for it.

Death Note - While it wasn't the entire series, I did the last 10 episodes in a row because I really wanted to get it finished. And it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

it's sucks if you start on a long running show and you watch all the episodes to catch up then get stuck waiting a week for the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Varik wrote: »
    it's sucks if you start on a long running show and you watch all the episodes to catch up then get stuck waiting a week for the next one
    Agreed! I never let myself do that with anime anymore XD If I know the series is ongoing I try to pace myself when catching up!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I mite watch one episode a day or every few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I'm an addict, I need it from start to finish :P Absolutely hate having to wait days yet alone weeks for a new episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Tend to bomb through completed series, same with TV shows. Currently converting 6-8 episodes a night of Rurouni Kenshin for the PSP so show get through it in a week or two. Think I got through the last 35 episodes of Death Note in about 3 days while also going through The Shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ishvalian

I tend to watch them in groups of maybe 5-6 episodes at a time. For shows that are still releasing new episodes every week, i will usually let them build up for a few weeks before watching them, while watching other shows in the meantime.

Edit: As for watching the entire series in 2-3 days, depends on the show really. If it is a lighthearted show or something i'm just watching out of mild interest, then i'm not really bothered about leaving gaps of a few days / weeks between episodes but for shows that peak my interest, i will watch them as soon as i have the free time to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Sairus wrote: »
    If a series is already complete when I start watching it I'll often through boredom or impatience watch it allover the space of a couple of days, but if I'm watching something that's currently still being aired I'll happily watch it weekly.
    I have a tendancy to burn through series' pretty quickly if I'm really enjoying them, or I'm supposed to be studying for something (Zoids: Chaotic Century and Last Exile almost cost me my degree XD). There are exceptions though, like Highschool of the Dead. I had to watch that in a couple of rapid sittings to get it over with as quickly as possible >_<

Are you serious? I thought HOTD was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Watch 1-2 episodes a week, on a dedicated day. Some series you can watch in 3-episode bursts (e.g. Black Lagoon).

This gives you a sense of the feeling of anticipation that the director & studio had in mind when plotting the show for broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 alanmoore

I watch 1-2 episodes a day.. and it's enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

For any anime series, I always watch at least 3 episodes on the first sitting and then I kinda wing it. Most animes always use the first three to introduce the rules of their universe, characters etc and then at the end of the 3rd or 4th episode the main arc actually kicks off.

After that it all depends on the quality of each episode. Like when I use to watch bleach, I' be watching at least 10 a day because those 1st 64 episodes were so funny and exciting but then someone says the word BOUNTO and I could barely manage a full episode a week. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

It depends i find that if i'm watching a series thats not amazing i can get bored if i watch too many episodes in one night, Phantom was fine at the start but i got bored with it because i watched 10 episodes from 12 till 5 am, but i get a bit frustrated with only watching 1 episode a week with ongoing series, like Shiki for example since not a whole lot happens in one episode, however i only ever watched 1 series in one sitting and that was elfen lied, but that's my favorite series so i'd say that's why i didn't get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

After that it all depends on the quality of each episode. Like when I use to watch bleach, I' be watching at least 10 a day because those 1st 64 episodes were so funny and exciting but then someone says the word BOUNTO and I could barely manage a full episode a week. :(

Yeah it really did go downhill from there :/

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

I've really enjoyed some series like Death Note, Claymore and Berserk. I would never let myself watch more than 3 (ok sometimes 4) episodes in one sitting.

Why? Because although I could have watched the lot I didn't want the series to be over. It's also not very good for you to spend too long in front of the tv :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

I just love inu yasha even though I started watching it from a random episode :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

I have gotten into the habit of once a week shows now though then life catches up, miss a few and back to a long night of catchup. If the series is already complete though I may go through the whole thing over a very lazy weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭Evade

I usually watch however many episodes is on the DVD in one sitting and occasionally watch a whole series almost back to back. I watched all 100 episodes of Gundam SEED and Destiny in less than week a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Evade wrote: »
    I usually watch however many episodes is on the DVD in one sitting and occasionally watch a whole series almost back to back. I watched all 100 episodes of Gundam SEED and Destiny in less than week a few months ago.
    Did it make Seed any less crap?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

whenever i'm watching anime or manga its in boxsets and prefer to just get'em all done. sometimes i've noticed you'll have very little in 1ep and its spread over 2 or 3.

i do the same thing with tv shows. flat mate thought it was mad how i got through 5 seasons of house and and 4 seasons of bones farely quickly over a year ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

watched nge all in a week... my head was fried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Anxiety

I try to watch them as close as possible but you dont really have to especially if an anime isnt finished yet

Advertisement