Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clarify claiming for dependent adult.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

This is usual practice. There's no denying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks thought so, right so back out there tomorrow.

This time I'll print off the link and show it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoogie

Hi all

My JB is up in 2 weeks and I have decided to go in as a Dependent Adult on my partners claim. (The Social Welfare said that it is the same rate as my own Jobseekers Allowance claim but as I am not means tested the process of switching over is alot quicker and I am able to earn credits this way)

However now and again I get casual work (which I'm extremely grateful for, but it is a rare occurance!) The SW said my situation was "very awkward" and discussed putting me on the docket system, and said if I wasn't working for a month in the docket system they would switch me back. I advised that when I'm offered work it's usually sick leave and I literally only get a call that morning offering me work and I could very easily go a month or more without work so I'm hesitant to go on docket system as there will be a lot of to'ing and fo'ing.

They have said that I can remain as a dependent adult and send in a pay cheque if I get work so my partners rate may be reduced for me on the weeks I get work, but again they said this was "very awkward". (However this option seems straightdforward enough to me!)

I really don't know what option to take and the SW are making me feel like a real nuisance for actually putting my CV out there trying to get work - I think its more paperwork for them to be honest!!

Are there any Dependent Adults out there in the same situation as me, whereby you get casual work here and there - what do you do?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Taken from the link above...
    You will not get an increase for a qualified adult if they:
    • have earnings or income (see note below) of more than €310.00 gross per week, or,
    • are receiving a social welfare payment (except Disablement Pension, Death Benefit, Orphan’s Contributory Allowance, Orphan’s Non-Contributory Pension, Supplementary Welfare Allowance or Child Benefit) in their own right, or,
    • are disqualified from receiving unemployment payments while taking part in a trade dispute, or,
    • are getting an Infectious Diseases Maintenance Allowance (IDMA) from the Health Service Executive (HSE), or
    • are taking part in a full-time FÁS non-craft training course.
    Is maternity benefit classed as a social welfare payment? If so, does that exclude someone claiming for a dependent adult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was told by the Citizens Advice that if some one is claiming JSA and their partner is earning less than €350(€270 maternity benefit), the person can claim for the partner as a dependent adult to the tune of a maximum of €130 per week.

Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW21/Pages/6DoIgetextrapaymentsforaqualifiedadultandqualifiedchildren.aspx

Social welfare office deny this.
    if your partner is in receipt of maternity benefit you cannot claim for her on JSA. of course if you insist you can claim the €125, but she would lose her €270 maternity benefit, so that wouldnt make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

egan2020 wrote: »
    Taken from the link above...

You will not get an increase for a qualified adult if they:
    • have earnings or income (see note below) of more than €310.00 gross per week, or,
    • are receiving a social welfare payment (except Disablement Pension, Death Benefit, Orphan’s Contributory Allowance, Orphan’s Non-Contributory Pension, Supplementary Welfare Allowance or Child Benefit) in their own right, or,
    • are disqualified from receiving unemployment payments while taking part in a trade dispute, or,
    • are getting an Infectious Diseases Maintenance Allowance (IDMA) from the Health Service Executive (HSE), or
    • are taking part in a full-time FÁS non-craft training course.
    Is maternity benefit classed as a social welfare payment? If so, does that exclude someone claiming for a dependent adult?
    maternity benefit is a social welfare payment. all the above conditions apply to maternity benefit.

Advertisement