Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Alchohol Advertisements should be allowed?

• 18-10-2010 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I think they should be banned. Smoke ads were banned in the 80's and I think this should follow suit.

There are problems in this country with drink driving, domestic violence caused by alcohol intoxication. There are alcoholics spending the night at home trying to stay off the drink and they get an ad showing the drink top to bottom in slow motion and some fancy music and scenes. That would drive them back to it, defeating the purpose of staying in.

I think it is a disgrace TBH, that is my opinion.

Do you think Alcohol ads on Television should be allowed? 102 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 102 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

If some idiot wants to get drunk and beat his wife, or go for a spin, then there is something wrong with him.

Not with the alcohol he drank, and especially not with the advertising that 'prompted' him to buy it.

People in this country need to grow up and take responsibilty for their actions and stop searchign for scapegoats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'd like to see more info on them, like what to mix them with. I only found out about "super splits" a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Alcohol adverts are the best on tv if you take them away I'd probably stop watching tv altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Maybe we should ban alcohol from our TVs entirely?

Of course Coronation St will have to close the Rovers, Father Ted re-runs are in for some savage editing and pretty much every sporting event in the world will be looking for a new sponsor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Maybe we should ban alcohol from our TVs entirely?

Of course Coronation St will have to close the Rovers, Father Ted re-runs are in for some savage editing and pretty much every sporting event in the world will be looking for a new sponsor.

Well there is plenty of smoking in Father Ted. It's just the way the ads' glorify it. That is obvious.

As for the "idiot" who beats his wife, he is an idiot with drink in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

CorkMan wrote: »
    I think they should be banned. Smoke ads were banned in the 80's and I think this should follow suit.

There are problems in this country with drink driving, domestic violence caused by alcohol intoxication. There are alcoholics spending the night at home trying to stay off the drink and they get an ad showing the drink top to bottom in slow motion and some fancy music and scenes. That would drive them back to it, defeating the purpose of staying in.

OH yeah, because that'll help the recession. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Alcohol ads should definitely be banned. Drink has crippled this country and it's about time we tackle the issue. Many people are more concerned with going out on the weekend and getting pissed than they are about the state the country's in. Binge drinking and the violence and deaths/murders associated with it is an embarrassment. Sometimes I wonder if we'd be better off under Sharia law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Alcohol ads should definitely be banned. Drink has crippled this country and it's about time we tackle the issue. Many people are more concerned with going out on the weekend and getting pissed than they are about the state the country's in. Binge drinking and the violence and deaths/murders associated with it is an embarrassment. Sometimes I wonder if we'd be better off under Sharia law.

Some people have a problem with drink, the majority do not, as for Sharia Law--- you got to be joking.:rolleyes:

OisinT wrote: »
    OH yeah, because that'll help the recession. :rolleyes:

What, you mean people actually keeping their money instead of spending it all on drink? Or better yet, spending their money on something that benefits someone other than the multi-billion dollar drinks industry? I'm sure Diageo isn't feeling the squeeze that everyone else is, or will be come Dec 7th.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Some people have a problem with drink, the majority do not, as for Sharia Law--- you got to be joking.:rolleyes:

Lots of people have a problem with drink. Irish society is based around pub culture. That's a huge problem and if you can't see that you must be blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Lots of people have a problem with drink. Irish society is based around pub culture. That's a huge problem and if you can't see that you must be blind.

I'm not blind, somepeople have a serious problem with it, most can drink responsibly and enjoy it, that's what i see.

What, you mean people actually keeping their money instead of spending it all on drink? Or better yet, spending their money on something that benefits someone other than the multi-billion dollar drinks industry? I'm sure Diageo isn't feeling the squeeze that everyone else is, or will be come Dec 7th.
    Oh, wow... you really don't understand the basics of economics and job creation so I'm not even going to bother.

OisinT wrote: »
    Oh, wow... you really don't understand the basics of economics and job creation so I'm not even going to bother.

Nice cop out. Saving money or paying off debt > spending your paycheck down the pub. How's that for economics?

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'm not blind, somepeople have a serious problem with it, most can drink responsibly and enjoy it, that's what i see.

A right, because when I walk around the city center on the weekend I see loads of responsible drinkers not puking their guts up and not getting into fights. I see loads of responsible drinkers not being rushed to A&E because of alcohol poisoning and not wrapping their cars around trees. Wait, we're still talking about Ireland right?

He's an idiot regardless.
    Even more so if he using alcohol as an excuse for his actions.

Nice cop out. Saving money or paying off debt > spending your paycheck down the pub. How's that for economics?

Hopeless. Have another go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I think you should be banned from making threads.

That's all I think should be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

In a tit-for-tat fashion they should be banned, unless they bring back Marlboro Man. Yorkie Man was no substitute for him.

A chocolate eating gimp versus I'm a guy who likes to work on my car. I like to take it apart, and I like to put it back together again.

No contest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

You do realize the amount of tax revenue alcohol generates in this country? Plus people can spend their money on what they see fit...

Come Dec 7th I can guarantee the government won't increase the tax on a pint because at the moment it's pretty much one of the few products consumers are spending their money on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

*Family fortunes buzzer EH UH!!!* Terrible economics. I don't know much but I know people not spending there money on goods and services will just put more people out of work, generating less tax, more spending on social welfare and drive us deeper into the sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

what about the hundreds of thousands of jobs in the drinks industry?
    I would be one of them.

There's alreadt been a shedload of job losses in the industry, your saying we need more?

When someone talks about the reccesion in this industry it's not the like of the big boys they're talking about like Diageo/C&C/Beamish and Crawford/Molson Coors/Coca-Cola/Gleeson Group the list goes on.

It is the small family run pub or the independant wholesaler who are struggling as it is and have had to cut hours or let off staff.

This all contributes to the Irish Economy, and whether you like it or not, alcohol is a big part of Government Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Why don´t we ban ads for cars because some people drive them dangerously and kill themselves or others?

Why don´t we ban ads for chocolate because some people eat too much of it and become unhealthy?

Why don´t we ban education because some people learn to talk ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Do you know what I find hilarious? Those bus stop ads with the "careful now" attitude to drink (the one giving details of the units) and showing the lovely, succulent, bubbling pint.

They could've just put up a cartoon image of one and made the same point.

I'm on to you both sides of the same coin advertising!

chin_grin wrote: »
    Do you know what I find hilarious? Those bus stop ads with the "careful now" attitude to drink (the one giving details of the units) and showing the lovely, succulent, bubbling pint. They could've just put up an image of one and made the same point.

I'm on to you both sides of the same coin advertising!

*Enjoy AH responsibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

NothingMan wrote: »
    *Family fortunes buzzer EH UH!!!* Terrible economics. I don't know much but I know people not spending there money on goods and services will just put more people out of work, generating less tax, more spending on social welfare and drive us deeper into the sh1t.

But what about the people who spend their social welfare on goods and services? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

comeraghs wrote: »
    Why don´t we ban ads for cars because some people drive them dangerously and kill themselves or others?

Why don´t we ban ads for chocolate because some people eat too much of it and become unhealthy?

Why don´t we ban education because some people learn to talk ****e!

Or just ban roads altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Smoke ads were banned in the 80's

And it paid off - the Ireland of the 21st century has no cigarette addicts!

Oh, wait....

eye-rollz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

But what about the people who spend their social welfare on goods and services? :confused:

Still better than them saving it and not spending it, at least it's getting pumped back into the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

veXual wrote: »
    You do realize the amount of tax revenue alcohol generates in this country? Plus people can spend their money on what they see fit...

Come Dec 7th I can guarantee the government won't increase the tax on a pint because at the moment it's pretty much one of the few products consumers are spending their money on.

Is that a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

CorkMan every time you make a thread, a kitten dies. Please consider this when thinking of making a new one.

Correct on all counts.
    Money needs to be circulating if the economy is to right itself.

Booze is good. Booze works.

Is that a good thing?

Well I'd assume consumer spending is a good thing. People not spending has the whole downward cyclic circlejerk effect jobby on the economy.

That's where part of this massive tax deficit has emerged from this year - lack of consumer spending.

veXual wrote: »
    Well I'd assume consumer spending is a good thing. People not spending has the whole downward cyclic circlejerk effect jobby on the economy.

That's where part of this massive tax deficit has emerged from this year - lack of consumer spending.
    I understand, but at the end of the day drinking to save the economy, i dunno...it's a funny one

I understand, but at the end of the day drinking to save the economy, i dunno...it's a funny one

I'd take up that challenge. :D

I remember reading an article saying that drinking in Ireland actually costs the economy billions through lost productivity.

here is one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2785659.stm
    It's from 2003 and no doubt it is higher now.

Take the productivity then add it to the medical costs of alcohol related injuries - One third of people in the waiting room on a weekend night will have injured themselves while intoxicated.

I am sure these figures when taken together would dwarf the actual tax intake from alcohol. And I'm not even including the social problems which it creates which are impossible to put a monetary value on.

So take your "It's creating jobs and is good for the economy" nonsense and be gone.

• Advertisement

It is kind of crazy alright bit of a double edged sword but hey it's Ireland so what can we expect.

Drinking our way out of a recession :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I like beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't think it should be in sports advertising

The local under-12 football team sponsored by a local pub
    Guinness sponsoring All Ireland Hurling Championship.

Back when Irelands biggest golf event was Murphy's Irish open and they'd put mininiture pints on each tee box.
    That was eight years ago and people still call it Murphy's Irish open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I agree. Ban television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think Vagasil ads should be banned!

• Advertisement

Read the below please for your answer:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Alcohol ads should be banned for the simple reason that they have gotten so stupid. Those twee bulmers ads for a start.:mad:
    The ones with SAtC lookalikes walking around some trendy nightspot in slow motion- pah.
    Ban them all I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

You are aware only a fraction of Domestic Abuse cases are solely alcohol based. There is something in the man or woman that causes them to abuse another person, drinking lowers inhibitions, but it does not erase them. If you are violent with drink, you are violent without. If you are a tramp with it in, you are as likely to hop into bed with a total stranger without. Being "hammered" is not the reason why you do things!

I am not a drinker, I hate it, I think it is boring and a waste of money. But do I think we should remove alcohol ads - No.

We know only over 18s are supposed to buy it.

We know you should not drink and drive.

We know it is wrong to hit people.

We know it makes us more likely to regret our actions.

If we choose to do any of the above they you are an imbecile and should be locked up for sheer idiocy.

People still smoke, cigarette ads are not on tv, but yet we are a nation that are like chimneys. What makes you think for one minute that not putting it on tv will make it stop?

Too much tax is made off alcohol and with a Taoiseacht that enjoys his few (too many), no way will alcohol laws be altered too much.

Besides, I have enjoyed the ads for alcohol for years, they are fun and upbeat! And those Clysdales and Guinness ads eack xmas make it for me! I don't like beer, but I love those ads!

I do find the off licence laws to be very stupid though..

I do find the off licence laws to be very stupid though..

i'm with you on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Anyone who thinks these ad's should be banned is an absolute idiot with nothing better to do than complain. Stop your f*cking whining. Alcohol companies need to advertise too, just like anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Pushers out, I say.

Right, thread has un its course.

Tits or gtfo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

On the one hand you've got alcohol ads, and on the other you've got those ads bemoaning the activities drunkards get up to; vandalism, violence etc.

I dunno. I'm torn between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

All this talk of drink is making me thirsty, Pints?

• Advertisement
Advertisement