Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Alchohol Advertisements should be allowed?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Off-Licence laws are ridiculous.

I can get served in a pub til 12.30 on a Sat, and later if you know the right place to go ;) but I cannot a six pack after 10 so my housemate and I can watch a movie at home, safely, where we will not be driving or doing anything ridiculous. WTF is that about!?!

Oh and OP, your talk about advertising drink, is causing people to actually discuss it, ergo, advertising it!

Micky Dolenz - name the pub, I hate drink, but this is a matter of principle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    You are aware only a fraction of Domestic Abuse cases are solely alcohol based. There is something in the man or woman that causes them to abuse another person, drinking lowers inhibitions, but it does not erase them. If you are violent with drink, you are violent without. If you are a tramp with it in, you are as likely to hop into bed with a total stranger without. Being "hammered" is not the reason why you do things!
    I disagree with you completely here. For some people, the stupefying effects of huge amounts of alcohol do not simply bring out dark, suppressed elements of their personality. They completely obliterate the person that's normally there and, for a few hours, replace it with some shambling shell of base instinct lacking completely in normal human faculty.

I know many people who are not violent in a sober state, nor do they even have any semblance of violent tendency, but when they get to they "blackout" stage they have absolutely no control of their actions. I number amongst these people.

Note that when I say they have no control of their actions it doesn't mean they aren't responsible for them.If someone knows they're liable to turn into a lunatic when they're legless, they shouldn't be drinking to such an extent. If someone knows they have no control over how much they drink once they touch so much a drop, they shouldn't be drinking at all.

I hate the attitude that exists here that allows people to consistently get ****ed up and act like a dickhead, only to be excused time and time again because they were drunk, and "Sure aren't they harmless when they're sober?" That's bull****, I think people are defined by their actions rather than some vague sentiments of niceness during their sober hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

kiad wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks these ad's should be banned is an absolute idiot with nothing better to do than complain. Stop your f*cking whining. Alcohol companies need to advertise too, just like anyone else.

Just like Cigarette companies?

When people walk into a shop they see the big cigarette machine behind the till, that is enough. The amount of pubs round the place in Ireland, we don't need these TV ads. Supermarkets and offies sell drink. You can go to a pub too.

I find Drink ads to be amongst the most advertised on TV, watch champions league on Sky Tuesday/Wednesday night and you will see a drink ad 2 times almost every break. That is 10+ ads from 7.30 to 10.30PM. They just put a small "drink aware" slogan in the bottom corner of the ads, and its suddenly alright in there eyes. They were pushed to put in that slogan aswell.

And I suppose electrical goods cause people to crash cars, beat up their wifes and get addicted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I think there should be a watershed for when the alcohol is advertised though say after 9pm most kids be gone to bed and well not all teenagers would be watching the telly after that! While it really only be the adults and parents watching tv after 9pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Fuck this nanny state sh!te. Keep the ads for booze.
    I know this country has a problem with drink, but pulling ads off TV isn't going to help. People need to take responsibility for themselves and their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Note that when I say they have no control of their actions it doesn't mean they aren't responsible for them.If someone knows they're liable to turn into a lunatic when they're legless, they shouldn't be drinking to such an extent. If someone knows they have no control over how much they drink once they touch so much a drop, they shouldn't be drinking at all.

I hate the attitude that exists here that allows people to consistently get ****ed up and act like a dickhead, only to be excused time and time again because they were drunk, and "Sure aren't they harmless when they're sober?" That's bull****, I think people are defined by their actions rather than some vague sentiments of niceness during their sober hours.

Yes, if a person finds out they are not good with drink in, then they should have the good sense to AVOID the shíte, but they don't, thats not Bacardi or Guinness's fault!

I think there should be a watershed for when the alcohol is advertised though say after 9pm most kids be gone to bed and well not all teenagers would be watching the telly after that! While it really only be the adults and parents watching tv after 9pm.
    Yeah, as a teen I'd have been out drinking at that stage.

Yes, if a person finds out they are not good with drink in, then they should have the good sense to AVOID the shíte, but they don't, thats not Bacardi or Guinness's fault!
    I agree. I was responding to the assertion that all people who act violently when they’re drunk are inherently aggressive individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

It has been proven time and time again that censorship just doesn't work.

A prime example is Cigarettes, they are still selling millions everyday with virtually no advertising.

Censorship isn't the answer, people already know the damage that it does, so it is up to them to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Well to be fair, banning stuff works.

Banning cigarette advertising and smoking in public places as good as eradicated the problem and banning head shops stopped people getting high.

Oh, hang on a second.....

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Ban this, ban that. Get a grip OP. Banning it only makes things more attractive and more underhand.

Next thing you have the whole country in debate, and people using "the day" as a reason to get sloshed.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

All this talk of drink is making me thirsty, Pints?

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

They should be banned from Sunday-Thursday.

Nothing worse than seeing an ad for delicious beer on a Tuesday night, when you can't drink that night, and you've got the thirst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Maybe we should ban alcohol from our TVs entirely?

Perhaps you should ban television all together as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

OisinT wrote: »
    Read the below please for your answer:
    Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I remember reading an article saying that drinking in Ireland actually costs the economy billions through lost productivity.

here is one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2785659.stm
    It's from 2003 and no doubt it is higher now.

Take the productivity then add it to the medical costs of alcohol related injuries - One third of people in the waiting room on a weekend night will have injured themselves while intoxicated.

I am sure these figures when taken together would dwarf the actual tax intake from alcohol. And I'm not even including the social problems which it creates which are impossible to put a monetary value on.

So take your "It's creating jobs and is good for the economy" nonsense and be gone.

Yeah, getting pissed is great for the economy. I don't know what I was thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Avoid it by staying home and watching the telly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I , like a lot of my friends enjoy drink, some of my friends don't drink by choice, We don't judge each other and none of us have ever battered our wives or kids. If i ever had the compulsion to hit my wife, i'd blast my brains out with my gun first. Yes, some Irish people do have the wrong attitude to drink, thankfully many of them develop some cop on as they grow older, but some of them won't.Banning alchohol or it's advertising won't eliminate stupid people, they will always be with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

An ad by diagio going on how great their alcohol products are, then telling us to drink responsibly, Then an ad for drugs helpline telling us how hash is bring down the community. Its complete hypocrisy.

Don't ban the ads for drink, but lets have ads for the finest cannabis and mdma, and to 'always do them responsibly'. just to be fair about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Some of the funniest ads ever on TV were ones for drink. FFS people should grow up and cop on. if the adds offend you then switch channel or just use series link to view all TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

LK_Dave wrote: »
    Some of the funniest ads ever on TV were ones for drink. FFS people should grow up and cop on. if the adds offend you then switch channel or just use series link to view all TV.

Yeah, those ****ing Radion adds from a few years back annoyed the **** out of me......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I don't think alcohol advertising encourages people to drink more, it just influences their choice of brand when they drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Shît, I pressed yes by accident.
    Meant no, they shouldn't be banned.
    If you ban alcohol advertising because alcohol is bad for you then they should ban most ads as they mostly advertise crap.
    Burgers, coffee, mobile phones & TV program ads to go next? Too much of anything is a bad thing in most instances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

CorkMan wrote: »
    I think they should be banned. Smoke ads were banned in the 80's and I think this should follow suit.

There are problems in this country with drink driving, domestic violence caused by alcohol intoxication. There are alcoholics spending the night at home trying to stay off the drink and they get an ad showing the drink top to bottom in slow motion and some fancy music and scenes. That would drive them back to it, defeating the purpose of staying in.

I think it is a disgrace TBH, that is my opinion.

I agree with you that alcoholism is a major problem and its negative impact on society cannot be over-emphasized, however, you have to realise not everyone that drinks fits into the classification you have expressed in your post. You might be surprised to know that some folks drink decently and it doesn't adversely affect their life, because they know the meaning of the word - moderation.

You cannot equate consumption of alcohol and smoking ciggaretes, simply because there is evidence that moderate alcohol consumption could actually be beneficial to your health and smoking does nothing but kill you.....

Proposing a ban of alcohol ads in fact reflects an inabilty to face up to one's responsibility as a rationale human being. There are several ads on TV /Media that negatively influence various members of the society e.g. we could argue about the early sexualisation of young children or insurance companies advertising false products/services and using T/Cs as caveats.

Unless you advocate for a state controlled society aka Nanny state, you need to let people make informed decisions about their choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Under the mantra that any publicity is good publicity, this thread is good for the drinks industry. Look at what the tricked you into doing, OP, you're working for them. You're but a helpless pawn in the corporate game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Vilified

I think the culture in Ireland with regards to drink is over the top, without a doubt. 'Drinking responsibly' to most people I know is having 5 pints instead of 10, both of which do long term damage to the liver.

Some people do it every night of the week, others go on binges... etc etc.

We do live in a drinking culture where alcohol is consumed at a very alarming rate by the majority of people who drink.

However.

Personal choice is paramount to me. If I want to go out and get langered, and it only harms myself and my own good reputation, then let me. If I start to harm other people in the process, lock me up or send me to rehab.

I know it isn't that simple, however it's the simplest way of putting across my own opinion on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

The nanny-state mentality we have in this country needs to end now, or some will end up in high-chairs being spoon-fed in ten years time. As other posters have already said, people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The question wasn't whether alcoholism is bad, binge drinking is bad, or drunken violence is bad. We know they are, m'Kay?

The question was whether alcohol advertising should be permitted. If you have a drinking problem, what are you drinking? The premium brands that advertise in magazines and on TV, like XO Cognac? I don't see many ads for Buckfast or Lidl brand "vodka".

(Me, I like Armagnac, but if I pay €50 or more for a bottle of Hors d'Âge, I'm in no danger of alcoholism: one bottle for Christmas, that's it till next Christmas. :cool: )

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Vilified

bnt wrote: »
    The question wasn't whether alcoholism is bad, binge drinking is bad, or drunken violence is bad. We know they are, m'Kay?

The question was whether alcohol advertising should be permitted. If you have a drinking problem, what are you drinking? The premium brands that advertise in magazines and on TV, like XO Cognac? I don't see many ads for Buckfast or Lidl brand "vodka".

(Me, I like Armagnac, but if I pay €50 or more for a bottle of Hors d'Âge, I'm in no danger of alcoholism: one bottle for Christmas, that's it till next Christmas. :cool: )

Debate on alcohol advertising -> how this advertising affects people -> the way drinking affects people on a grand scale = logical process this argument went through.

It's all linked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Well to be fair, banning stuff works.

Banning cigarette advertising and smoking in public places as good as eradicated the problem and banning head shops stopped people getting high.

Oh, hang on a second.....

TBH I imagine it stopped a good amount of the upper class people who wouldn't dare go near a dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

abolishing television advertisements would change nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I think they should be banned. Smoke ads were banned in the 80's and I think this should follow suit.

There are problems in this country with drink driving, domestic violence caused by alcohol intoxication. There are alcoholics spending the night at home trying to stay off the drink and they get an ad showing the drink top to bottom in slow motion and some fancy music and scenes. That would drive them back to it, defeating the purpose of staying in.

I think it is a disgrace TBH, that is my opinion.
    Shut up you fool of a man.

Your the reason the younger generation are a bunch of soft,whinging pricks because people like you mollycoddle them.

People are free to make there own mistakes so shut up and get back in your padded,oversterilized box

TBH I imagine it stopped a good amount of the upper class people who wouldn't dare go near a dealer.

Who the f*ck are the upper class in ireland?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Who the f*ck are the upper class in ireland?!
    Me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭pablo_escobar

If some idiot wants to get drunk and beat his wife, or go for a spin, then there is something wrong with him.

Not with the alcohol he drank, and especially not with the advertising that 'prompted' him to buy it.

yeah, the problem is he's Irish.

hit the thanks button there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Yes. They help remind me I need a beer.

Advertisement