Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rape in Bohermore [Mod Warning Post 38]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

OMG - I was wondering what was going on on Saturday morning when I was heading to work - the place was all taped off with the men in the white overalls combing the place - horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

OMG - I was wondering what was going on on Saturday morning when I was heading to work - the place was all taped off with the men in the white overalls combing the place - horrific.

where exactly did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

The corner there at hostys afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Oh god that's horrible. I hope justice is served.

GO_Bear wrote: »
    The corner there at hostys afaik

he tried to rape a woman along a main road with cars and pedestrians passing all night long? unbelievable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Defence solicitor Olivia Moylan told Judge Fahy that her client came from a very respectable family and was willing to abide by all bail conditions.

I'd never seen this before moving to Ireland. Why the fuck does it matter what kind of family scum come from?*

*yeah, I know this guy's innocent 'til proven guilty but it applies to every other time I've seen it as well

Xiney wrote: »
    I'd never seen this before moving to Ireland. Why the fuck does it matter what kind of family scum come from?*

*yeah, I know this guy's innocent 'til proven guilty but it applies to every other time I've seen it as well

this is a very typical phrase in irish courts, it means the accused is from a middle class background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Yeah that "respectable family" bull**** really winds me up as well.

Remember that poor kid that got kicked to death outside Anabels nightclub in dublin by four lads from "respectable south dublin rugby families".

Don't remember them doing life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

mike kelly wrote: »
    this is a very typical phrase in irish courts, it means the accused is from a middle class background

And why on earth should it even matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

its the Irish Class System. Depends on who daddy is. Rampant here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

"She granted him legal aid after hearing that he only worked part time and had no other means"

would his respectable family not step in here and not have this scumbag burden the state financially as well as terrorising women in society?

Hope the woman is ok

And why on earth should it even matter?

there was a case of a young guy from a "respectable" family who sexually assaulted a 16 year old girl in Salthill a few years ago. The case came to court and was immediately postponed so many times that the victim said that her experience of the court system was worse than the assault itself. Can't remeber what the final sentence was, but it wasn't much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 twinkletoes06

I agree however, just because a family is respectable doesn't necessarily mean they have money. I hope the girl is doing well also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

why cant they name him or when will they name him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

<snipped speculation>

I hope the girl is doing ok, but i also hope she's brave enough to follow this through and get this prick locked up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is all alleged. tbh I think the post above is letting tittletattle get out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Do NOT discuss or speculate as to the identity of either the victim or the accused until they have been named in the public media.

/moderation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

why cant they name him or when will they name him

Innocent until proven guilty.

Prob something to do with the girl wanting anonymity (can't spell) or something like that! Usual reason when both parties are over 18

I agree however, just because a family is respectable doesn't necessarily mean they have money. I hope the girl is doing well also.

"respectable" in this context means that you have money. You never see anyone who is on the dole being described as coming from a respectable background

• Advertisement

"respectable" in this context means that you have money. You never see anyone who is on the dole being described as coming from a respectable background

But then why would he be granted free legal aid!! Sorry I just don't understand! Is it actually a legal term in Ireland?

But then why would he be granted free legal aid!! Sorry I just don't understand! Is it actually a legal term in Ireland?

I don't think it's actually an official legal term. As far as free legal aid is concerned, you can be accused of being a multi-millionaire criminal mastermind and still get free legal aid. It seems to be available to everyone except PAYE workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think it means that the person comes from a law abiding background and is regardless of their financial situation. It doesn't excuse any crime and shouldn't influence the punnishment obviously but it's hard to resent it being said in an instance like this where a family will probably be stigmatized for the actions of one member. It's horrific for the victim and a dreadful thing for the perpetrator to have done but it must be awful for his family too if they're "normal" people who are mindful of the law. Other than murder there could be nothing worse for someone in your family to do

I heard he was denied bail ? can anyone confirm that.

At least there is still some hope for the Irish court system if it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yup that's true : http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/man-23-refused-bail-on-rape-charge-2383756.html

Just to clarify also, it was his solicitor that said he was from a respectable family and she did so in context of saying the family would post bail & ensure he'd abbide by the bail conditions.

That's what it says in the papers

Well thats good,

Even if he was absolutely smashed drunk , hundreds of people get the same way every night in Galway, without incident. Lock the unstable scumbag up if you ask me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

when did this happen??? and what time??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

<snip>
    This is the first time he (or any immediate family member) has ever been charged with anything afaik which is where the "from a decent background" thing came from. Heard that the mother (of the man) was in a very bad state at the couthouse.
    While this may be a one-off offence from yer man I fully agree that he should recieve the harshest punishment possible. I think the Gaurds are pushing for life, which is what, 12 years? Not enough imo.
    Not trying to be insensitive to the victims, but I do feel sorry for yer mans parents. They are good people from what I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

not sure if this is against boards rules but if it isnt could someone pm me the name of who they think is involved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement