Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rape in Bohermore [Mod Warning Post 38]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Please do not post details about the case, it may prejudice a jury trial.

/moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Please do not post details about the case, it may prejudice a jury trial.

/moderation

Crazy that we have these kind of laws in Ireland. Naming suspects is not a problem in any continental country. It's about time that we completely changed our legal system.

THFC wrote: »
    <snip>
    This is the first time he (or any immediate family member) has ever been charged with anything afaik which is where the "from a decent background" thing came from. Heard that the mother (of the man) was in a very bad state at the couthouse.
    While this may be a one-off offence from yer man I fully agree that he should recieve the harshest punishment possible. I think the Gaurds are pushing for life, which is what, 12 years? Not enough imo.
    Not trying to be insensitive to the victims, but I do feel sorry for yer mans parents. They are good people from what I've heard.

Family background should not be an issue in any case. The well off plead that they come from good families and this should be taken into account as a mitigating factor. The poor plead that they come from dysfunctional families and have problems with alcohol (although they have been having treatment and are turning their lives around). Meanwhile the clock ticks and the $$$ roll in for the legal eagles.

Seriously, I could write half of the court reports in the galway advertiser without even attending court. That's how ludicrous the system is.

As far as the rapist is concerned, if he has the right social connections we are talking 4 years max.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mike kelly wrote: »
    Crazy that we have these kind of laws in Ireland. Naming suspects is not a problem in any continental country. It's about time that we completely changed our legal system.
    Generally, rape suspects aren't named to protect the identity the victim. The victim can waive this right of they so choose.

We do have a pesky constitution that provides for a fair trial in due course of law but that's the kind of do-gooder, bleeding heart type of stuff that gets in the way of summary justice at the hands of the internet's finest vigilante minds. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Robbo wrote: »
    Generally, rape suspects aren't named to protect the identity the victim. The victim can waive this right of they so choose.

We do have a pesky constitution that provides for a fair trial in due course of law but that's the kind of do-gooder, bleeding heart type of stuff that gets in the way of summary justice at the hands of the internet's finest vigilante minds. Shame really.

I'd also imagine its to stop people from getting publicly blamed in the wrong, which would be a horrible mistake to make. I remember for the Manuela case yer man Barry was only 3rd on the list of suspects.

• Advertisement

Thread will reopen in the morning, too much speculation, and too many reported posts to leave unattended overnight.

/moderation

OK the thread is now reopening.

Feel free to discuss anything that has been mentioned in the public media.

However, from now on there will be no speculation, no presumption of guilt and no case details mentioned, this is your one and only warning, bans will follow.
    • Everyone has the right to a fair trial.
    • Everyone has the right to a presumption of innocence.
    • Every rape victim has the right to anonymity.

On top of that, I don't think there's any poster here that would like to think that something they write on boards, about this or any other case, could be used as a defence by a guilty person, who could claim they cannot be fairly tried due to public speculation and hearsay.

Again, I will remove the posting privileges of anyone who contravenes these directions.

/moderation

I'd also imagine its to stop people from getting publicly blamed in the wrong, which would be a horrible mistake to make. I remember for the Manuela case yer man Barry was only 3rd on the list of suspects.

so there are two men in Galway who the Gardai consider more dangerous than Barry? The public has a right to know who they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

so there are two men in Galway who the Gardai consider more dangerous than Barry? The public has a right to know who they are!

That's undesirable. If they've never been convicted of anything, then you would potentially be tarring innocent men. Have the Gardai never been wrong in their suspicions of individuals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The judge said she was refusing bail for the reasons outlined by gardai and remanded the accused man in custody to appear at Harristown District Court on October 22.

Where in Ireland is Harristown? Kildare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

Where in Ireland is Harristown? Kildare?

Castlerea, Co. Roscommon. It's the court at the Prison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Can you back that up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jelly2 wrote: »
    That's undesirable. If they've never been convicted of anything, then you would potentially be tarring innocent men. Have the Gardai never been wrong in their suspicions of individuals?

No, these men have been convicted of minor offences but the gardai think they may be capable of much worse. For every serious case, i.e. the manuela case, all detectives and senior gardai are asked to 'nominate' someone they think responsible, and for the manuela case Barry wasnt the top candidate. The gardai have an unofficial list of - who they think - are the dangerous people around galway. Obviously, they wouldn't reveal any names on this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

No, these men have been convicted of minor offences but the gardai think they may be capable of much worse. For every serious case, i.e. the manuela case, all detectives and senior gardai are asked to 'nominate' someone they think responsible, and for the manuela case Barry wasnt the top candidate. The gardai have an unofficial list of - who they think - are the dangerous people around galway. Obviously, they wouldn't reveal any names on this list.

I was thinking of this last week. I found out my neighbour had over 50 previous convictions, he didn't do anything to me and I wouldn't begrudge him living there but if I had known I might do things differently. Like ask to get a peep hole at the door instead of opening it without knowing, getting contents insurance, maybe get my mail sent to my parents address etc.

It would be nice to know...

Yes I am cynical.

Lapin wrote: »
    Can you back that up ?

For example, Portugal and it's "arguidos" (offical suspects)

Not offically but they have methods of making a persons name known in this context such as making an arrest in the workplace (or somehwere else before witnesses). In the case of a person from a "respectable" family, they will do all they can to keep it under wraps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 twinkletoes06

I think you will find that this persons identity isn't the identity trying to be protected rather that of the victim who is entitled to privacy if that is what she wants. And the individual can still be convicted, sentenced and jailed. As long as he is off the streets I don't see why everybody needs to know who he is!! This girl wants privacy and given what she has been through already I think everyone should just let this drop and let justice take its course!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

im presuming that was becasue he was provided with an alibi by 2 of his familly which wer later retracted,loys of people suspected him as soon as it happened including me, he was known to be a sicko before manuela

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

why is manuela being brought into this conversation - that case has nothing to do with it - there is a lifetime of a difference (literally) between a murder and a serious assault - two completely different case and should not be linked at all in people's mind.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

For example, Portugal and it's "arguidos" (offical suspects)
    Yes, and that led to such a swift and robust conviction in the McCann case...

By no means do we have a perfect criminal justice system but for one would hate to see alleged rapists named against the wishes of the victim, solely to satisfy the prurient curiosity of a baying mob of internet ghouls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

its just the "rubbernecking" syndrome. People need to know what is happening

its just the "rubbernecking" syndrome. People need want to know what is happening

FYP.

Anyway, people can find out all they want from the papers, this thread is going nowhere really.

/moderation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement