Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help - would you live near big construction?

• 18-10-2010 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi everyone,

we're looking at buying a ground floor apartment with a garden. The apartment is lovely, and we're keen. But we're just found out there will be major construction going on at the back of the property.

The garden is approx 50' long, and then there's a wall; and on the other side of that they plan to build a university building with one storey under ground. It shouldn't over look the property too much as the section nearest the apartment is 2 stories high and one is underground, but it is very close to the back of the wall. They reckon they'll start building end 2011 and finish 2013 or 2014. We're getting worried about living with pneumatic drills etc for years... has anyone lived near a site like this? how bad was it? The sittingroom/master bedrooms are both at the front of the flat with the kitchen & second bedroom at the back.

Thanks a million for any input - this is a very big deal for us!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Check the conditions of the planning permission. It is likely there are restraints on the working hours as the build is so close to residences.

I'd check whether there is any chance of it actually happening, so much NAMA'd stuff out there etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

I wouldnt fancy it - but as someone already suggested, it may never be built at this rate! Having said that, some form of construction might occur at some stage no matter where you buy, so if you like it, go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

Aswell as considering whether it will start, find out about funding and the likelihood of it being finished. Worse than a building site would be a half finished eyesore forever.

also as another poster sadi check the restrictions on times. maybe it will only be daytime when you are out and about? You will probably spend a lot of time cleaning windows too but that's not major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

The OP stated that the building is associated with a university, so its highly unlikely that it will be NAMAed. I would also expect that the works, if commenced would be completed within a reasonable amount of time.Normally the money is ring fenced before the works commence.

What would be advisable is to establish what the building will be used for by the university and decide if you happy with the end use. Remember its not always going to be a construction site, but it will be a university building. Ask yourself would you be happy living beside a library or an engineering building or a research lab or university residential accommodation? They may be my major concerns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

archtech wrote: »
    Remember its not always going to be a construction site, but it will be a university building. Ask yourself would you be happy living beside a library or an engineering building or a research lab or university residential accommodation? They may be my major concerns

I'd agree 100%.
    It may also be used 12 months a year if there are summer schools or research facilities.

If the new build is near the main campus, then there will be noise restrictions during term time to prevent disruption to lectures. So it could be well regulated.

Again it will depend on whats being built, how close it is to your proposed Apartment and what will be the end use of the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

On the plus side it makes a for a good bargaining chip in buying the house at a decent price. I would check out and see what it is actually going to be, could be something nasty like a disease research centre, or at worst a block full of noisy alcoholic students.

I cant imagine construction noises being a problem, but theres always the possibility of them working into the evenings when its a big project and they want to rush it through.

Advertisement