Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two way traffic on high street again

Options
  • 18-10-2010 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

apparently traders are complaining about the one way system yet again on high street, what do the normal people want? I reckon the place is better not so many fumes, pity we can't get traffic free. With two way traffic there is no way I would shop on high street on a saturday, problem is the council cannot get the one way system sorted, if a right turn into rose Inn street was allowed and it was also made one way we would have a near perfect solution, all traffic turn into high street from traffic lights, we might deter people from using the town as a short cut, but going back to two way traffic is a no no, look at Wexford and Dungarvan and Waterford:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Don't think it should go back to the two way system. I think its fine at the moment.

I don't see how it’s affecting any of the shops. It’s not like you can park up on high street and go shopping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭nhg

I agree, I think that its much better the way it is now if only we could turn right onto rose inn street as previously posted, a roundabout there would probable sort it quiet easily

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

A stupid idea in the first place. Bring back 2 way traffic, I don't care if you don't like fumes or cars. Shops are being effected, they would not say it other wise. Seems most of the people who complain are people with no cars or who don't need to use high street at all because they do there shopping in Lidl.

The traffic does be cat down at the back of Dunnes. The council brought it in thinking it would free up traffic but I knew it would make things worse and I was right. They then quickly revised John street which was a massive problem. High street is bad but not nearly as bad as it was when John street was on a one way.

I say fire the clowns at the council, bring back 2 way traffic until they get a new bridge between Johns bridge and greens bridge and link it up to around Michael street or wolfe tones street which is highly unlikely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Traffic in High Street was pretty shocking before, I think the one way system works. How is it having a negative effect on the shops? I think they're just complaining because they have to take a wee detour to drive to their shop if they're coming from the Freshford road. Get a bicycle, it'll be quicker which ever way the traffic goes. Even I after I pass my driving test my car will be going no where near the centre of town, I have a bike, a bag and an engine that goes faster than any car around town.

Probably not worth mentioning but I read something about the new bridge and posibly moving it a bit to go through the brewery once that's gone. Would they not be better leaving it as it is and extending the ring road over to the Freshford road?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

I agree that the one way on high street is better but saying traffic should be allowed to turn right onto rose inn st is a joke! nobody pays any attention to the signage and that is what is causing all the delays by dunnes, I dont think there is enough room for a roundabout there but having high street as a pedestrian area except for commercial traffic could be a solution! As a commercial vehicle driver i am sick of there being no space in loading bays around the town due to private vehicles parked in them with no enforcement by the traffic wardens or guards except for the morning delivery times! Why do we need so many taxis parked on high street? there is no need for it and apparently they can park on footpaths and in loading bays but commercial vehicles cant!! sorry for the rant but this is a daily problem around the city

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I would keep the one way, lose the parade lights (mini roundabout maybe), allow the right turn onto Rose Inn Street, lose the traffic lights at Hennessy sports, move the stop sign from Bateman quay onto Parliament Street up a bit, scrap the inner relief road and use that money to extend the ring road over to the Freshford road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Leave as is. But yet again we the public will be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I say leave it as it is. If anything is effecting trade on High Street it's the shops themselves.

Want to do late shopping on High Street? Most places are closed. MacDonagh Junction is open though.

Want to do go shopping on a Sunday? Nope, closed again. MacDonagh Junction is open.

I know it's a vicious circle of them not being able to pay the staff to keep the shops open but 2 way traffic will not make this any better. If they get rid on the one way system on High Street I will be spending even less time in the centre of town.

Step 1:
    So if I come out from Dunnes at the market yard and I live in loughbouy lets say. I try to go up around Bateman quay and aim for rose inn street but Im not allowed as the sign says you can't turn right. So I have to go up John street at crawling speed, turn right at the lights and head towards the ring road and turn right at the roundabout and head home.

Now step 2:
    Leave Dunnes, turn left to head up High Street, come to the lights at the Parade and turn right or go straight on up to my fictional home of Loughbouy. But wait sure I forgot I can't use high street that way, I have to go towards Dean street and head the long way around.

Maybe traffic lights up at Johns Bridge/Rose Inn Street/ Bateman Quay junction to manage traffic correctly including turn right. Put back the 2 way in High Street to help traders.

ergonomics wrote: »
    Want to do late shopping on High Street? Most places are closed. MacDonagh Junction is open though.
    No because Im after coming home from work and am tired, some dinner please!
    Want to do go shopping on a Sunday? Nope, closed again. MacDonagh Junction is open.
    No because Sunday is my relaxing day, a few beers/family/friends etc.
    If they get rid on the one way system on High Street I will be spending even less time in the centre of town.

Can I ask why?

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    Step 1:
    So if I come out from Dunnes at the market yard and I live in loughbouy lets say. I try to go up around Bateman quay and aim for rose inn street but Im not allowed as the sign says you can't turn right. So I have to go up John street at crawling speed, turn right at the lights and head towards the ring road and turn right at the roundabout and head home.

Now step 2:
    Leave Dunnes, turn left to head up High Street, come to the lights at the Parade and turn right or go straight on up to my fictional home of Loughbouy. But wait sure I forgot I can't use high street that way, I have to go towards Dean street and head the long way around.

Maybe traffic lights up at Johns Bridge/Rose Inn Street/ Bateman Quay junction to manage traffic correctly including turn right. Put back the 2 way in High Street to help traders.

Step 3: get on you bicycle, head down bateman quay, cross over the road to head down the canal, come out at Dukes meddows and Roberts your fathers brother :pac:

My popularity rating has just floored, hasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

This new system just keeps me from going anywhere near the centre of town on any busy days, I've often being waiting for nearly 20 minutes to half an hour on Bateman Quay to get on to John st. and they all around the ring road to get home. I think it was better before the changes.

Step 3: get on you bicycle, head down bateman quay, cross over the road to head down the canal, come out at Dukes meddows and Roberts your fathers brother :pac:

My popularity rating has just floored, hasn't it?

Step 3 query?
    Its pissing rain, I also have the fictional kids and shopping with me. I need the car!

Yes Captain havoc your popularity rating has just floored all right!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Step 1:
    So if I come out from Dunnes at the market yard and I live in loughbouy lets say. I try to go up around Bateman quay and aim for rose inn street but Im not allowed as the sign says you can't turn right.

I'm lost - do you mean that you can't turn right into Rose Inn Street coming from Dunnes up to the bridge? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

I'm lost - do you mean that you can't turn right into Rose Inn Street coming from Dunnes up to the bridge? :confused:

You can only turn right there (at Tynan's pub I assume we mean) after 6.30pm.

Most people are ignoring that though, which is causing a major jam down Bateman Quay.

But there's also a major jam on Parliament St., because you can't go up High St.

I generally don't mind the one way system though, but it does need to be tweaked. I don't believe that it is having a massive impact on business, I think the recession is the main reason for poor takings in shops. The carpark in Dunnes is always almost full and even sometimes has a queue to get in, and Market Cross is generally quite busy. Therefore, people are still coming into town- they just are spending less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Traffic wise the only places I think the system has failed is Bateman Quay, which is very bad since the one way introduction.

Also that little change (not sure of the name of the street) where you head from Patricks church to go towards Village Inn, that one bugs the hell out of me, not so much a problem traffic wise though as most I have been held up there is a couple of minutes. Is it Vicar street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

It's New Street, Vicar Street is where the Kilkenny Inn Hotel is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

ft9 wrote: »
    . Is it Vicar street?

Jacob St.

Step 3 query?
    Its pissing rain, I also have the fictional kids and shopping with me. I need the car!

Get one of these and HTFU :D :
    227-0364980A73UC625658M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ollchailin wrote: »
    You can only turn right there (at Tynan's pub I assume we mean) after 6.30pm.

Oh dear, I didn't realise that. I missed have missed the signpost - too busy craning my head to check for traffic before pulling out. :o

I hate the one way system. I never found town bad for traffic before it unless it was 4pm on a wet Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't get how a one way system in high street has any effect on footfall in the shops - its not like you can park there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Jacob St.

&'streetvalue'='false'.

Jacob street is the street that connects St Patrick's Church to TC tyres.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Upper New Street FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Step 1:

Now step 2:

or just head up Irish Town. It wont take you too much longer!

When it was two way traffic up high street you could be sitting in traffic for a long time as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

ergonomics wrote: »
    I say leave it as it is. If anything is effecting trade on High Street it's the shops themselves.

I know it's a vicious circle of them not being able to pay the staff to keep the shops open but 2 way traffic will not make this any better. If they get rid on the one way system on High Street I will be spending even less time in the centre of town.

Have to agree with this, cycled into town on Sunday for a look around but all the 'highstreet' shops were closed... just went back out to McDonagh instead as I knew they'd be open.

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    or just head up Irish Town. It wont take you too much longer!

When it was two way traffic up high street you could be sitting in traffic for a long time as well!
    Heading towards Irish town you also have a tail back due to the mini roundabout and plus the fact most cars aren't turning up Parliament street from Dean street due to the one way in High street, they tend to go straight on towards Irish town which is causing tailbacks up there, bigger now than when high street was 2 way.

See where Im coming from lads? The one way has fcuked everything up.

What the heck was wrong with it before? A few extra cars that were causing no trouble to pedestrians at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

No, they were causing a lot of problems. Not to people in cars but to others. Specifically in Rose Inn Street and John Street.

Cyclists, parents with prams or buggy's, bikers, disabled people, these people need to pass somewhere and they need room to travel around in just as much as drivers but they're not afforded the same respect.

Now personally, I don't think High Street was that much of a problem for the aforementioned. I like it as a one way but it isn't the crux of the problem in terms of mobility. I think John Street and Rose Inn Street are chronic but these are still two way (thanks to the sway of Boss Langton) so generally speaking, the entire thing is a balls up and it's not benefiting anybody. Not cyclists, not pedestrians and not drivers.

And ergonomics has it right on the money, the problem with High Street is the traders themselves.

There was a meeting there thursday and its likely to turn 2 way. I new they'd listen to me:p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Great so by turning high st back to 2 ways they'll make it congested again and continue to kill the city with traffic, just the thing tourists love to see and that makes them come back for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Cabaal wrote: »
    Great so by turning high st back to 2 ways they'll make it congested again and continue to kill the city with traffic, just the thing tourists love to see and that makes them come back for more.

I think the plan is make the traffic so congested the tourists can't leave the city, Quite ingenious really :D

Advertisement