Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two way traffic on high street again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Hang on, what about when Tesco come to the old Mart site, how are we going to manage the traffic? What about building a ring road around kilkenny? If you two way the high st you achieve nothing, as said you can't park anyway, there is a really brill car park in friary st, yes according to the council. If Bateman quay was one way, now think about it and Rose Inn st one way with the pavement widened for pushchairs, old people, disabled, everyone would be happy with traffic being able to go both left and right at John's Bridge no queue's and more traffic going down the high St should cheer our miserable trader's or should it be singular, in the summer we could actually have a loop cycle race for the tourists, now what about that, only problem I have is the bus, how does it get to the station, up the mayors walk, take the parking out of john st there is a large car park behind, and then move the town centre to McDonagh or the old mart site and apply for heritage status for what would become the old town, I love clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's an absolutely ridiculous decision and bound to push the progress of the city back a couple of years.

It would have made more sense to make a decision once the post summer tourism and festival figures had been studied and analysed to see how tourism may or may not have benefitted from the system that was in place.

It's a joke. Okay, there's 2 way traffic again. This means that the traders on High Street have cracked the question of where people park, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

Ok so two way traffic is back! personally I think the only option is to make the whole of the city centre one way, If anybody has a problem with it then tough! Kilkenny is too small for two way traffic!! I drive a van and if anybody is even near the edge of the footpath i have to stop so i don't hit them with my wing mirrors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

So whats the situation? Is high st 2 way again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Today the whole fecking place was blocked with traffic because of the one way. Stupid people in that council.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Looks like they're going to make a balls of it again . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I think im the only one boards who wants the two way back:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Plug wrote: »
    I think im the only one boards who wants the two way back:(
    Yes.

Foxy, can you confirm that Tesco are going into the old mart site?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    Yes.

That has been scraped as far as I know, I believe planning permission wasn't granted.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Off topic but a pet hate of mine is the hoarding around the old mart. It's like a museum piece to another time, the Bertie bubble. Just take it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Planning permission was rejected.
    Even if it had been granted I doubt it would have went ahead given the design included alot of residential & office units which would lie empty in the current market.
    That development wont be going ahead any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Off topic but a pet hate of mine is the hoarding around the old mart. It's like a museum piece to another time, the Bertie bubble. Just take it down.

Most Namaville and Banker Grove estates have similar 30 foot homages to our days of excess too; you see them as you drive around the country. Part of me actually likes them - They're like an architectural relic from the days of contagious fiscal lunacy and a constant reminder not to re-elect fianna fail. I would be in favour of leaving them there permanently so that we don't do it again.

Welcome to cosmipolitan Bagnelstown - You are home
    Just a two hour commute from Dublin and Cork
    Two bed semi's from E999,995
    Finance Available
    No proof of income required!

You can soak up the ambience and the opulence of the day from the obligitary images of candid moments from the cosy kitchens of young attractive couples gazing into each others eyes over candles, pasta and red wine on your way past to spend your weekly dole on potato waffles and fish fingers and you can ponder where it all went wrong.

You're right Fabby, it does serve well as reminder of the bubble debt.

Maybe they just need to be enhanced, like "Fianna Fail/Greens approved, backed by funds needed in health and education".

I still haven't heard any significant argument for a 2 way traffic system other than:

'I'm losing money because people can't park on High Street anymore' (Still the biggest black hole of a nonsensical excuse I've ever heard)

'Eamon Langton said so'

and

'I'm lazy, confused and have no capacity to rewire the part of my brain that assimilates new directions'

It's the decisions like this that assure you that Fianna Fail, their ilk, their attitude, their incompetence, their inefficiency and their nonsense will live on in this country for as long as we do.

I really hope that somebody made the point that this should be tried again once we're out of recession. See how it actually works without the excuse of businesses losing money.

Yeah.

Plus, I am sick of weasel words being brandished and touted as a means to achieve some private agenda. I deal in facts and figures and I am not seeing any. If I had the time I would do a proper analysis of it myself. I don't understand why this can't be done.

But then I suppose if I had the time to do that I would probably do something else- something which took less effort and was more rewarding. Like watching movies.

In the interests of impartiality and further research, I did some Facebook stalking of various members of the council and was rather pleased to discover that according to Andrew McGuinness, over the next year there will be a proper assessment done of the feasability of the one way system, a proper strategic plan put in place for one and a study completed on if the loss of revenue from businesses can be attributed to the one way.

So I guess that it goes back on the table next September.

Step 1): Spend loads of money introducing a system of unknown benefit and consequence.

Step 2): Spend loads of money on a study to ascertain if spending all that money was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

Threadhead wrote: »
    I still haven't heard any significant argument for a 2 way traffic system other than:

'I'm losing money because people can't park on High Street anymore' (Still the biggest black hole of a nonsensical excuse I've ever heard)

'Eamon Langton said so'

and

'I'm lazy, confused and have no capacity to rewire the part of my brain that assimilates new directions'

It's the decisions like this that assure you that Fianna Fail, their ilk, their attitude, their incompetence, their inefficiency and their nonsense will live on in this country for as long as we do.

I really hope that somebody made the point that this should be tried again once we're out of recession. See how it actually works without the excuse of businesses losing money.

Well just look at the list of luminaries we have making the decisions. I mean Joe Malone, FFS...Joe Malone!! Who voted in the likes of that?

MAYOR, MARTIN BRETT (FINE GAEL) DEPUTY MAYOR, DAVID FITZGERALD (FINE GAEL)MALCOLM NOONAN (GREEN PARTY - COMHAONTAS GLAS)MARIE FITZPATRICK (THE LABOUR PARTY)ANDREW McGUINNESS (FIANNA FÁIL)JOE MALONE (FIANNA FÁIL)JOHN COONAN (FIANNA FÁIL)BETTY MANNING (FINE GAEL)KATHLEEN FUNCHION (SINN FÉIN)PAUL CUDDIHY (FINE GAEL)JOE REIDY (FIANNA FÁIL)Cllr. Seán Ó hArgáin (THE LABOUR PARTY)

With the exception of Betty Manning, Malcolm Noonan, Kathleen Funchion and Andrew McGuinness I would take the rest of those tired old dinosaurs out back and shoot them.

(I'd let McGuinness off with a light knee capping. Perhaps Funchion can get some of her fellow party members to do it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Most Namaville and Banker Grove estates have similar 30 foot homages to our days of excess too; you see them as you drive around the country. Part of me actually likes them - They're like an architectural relic from the days of contagious fiscal lunacy and a constant reminder not to re-elect fianna fail. I would be in favour of leaving them there permanently so that we don't do it again.

Welcome to cosmipolitan Bagnelstown - You are home
    Just a two hour commute from Dublin and Cork
    Two bed semi's from E999,995
    Finance Available
    No proof of income required!

You can soak up the ambience and the opulence of the day from the obligitary images of candid moments from the cosy kitchens of young attractive couples gazing into each others eyes over candles, pasta and red wine on your way past to spend your weekly dole on potato waffles and fish fingers and you can ponder where it all went wrong.

Dont be ridiculous about the commute . . .they never told the truth!! it'd more like walking distance from kilkenny and carlow or something!!!

• Advertisement

I hated the billboard coming out of Dublin that had "Secure you future now, buy a house in .......". The only thing that loading up with debt secured was a bankruptcy that's longer to exit that it is for dangerous sexual predators to be released from jail. Great little country we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Two ways is better than one....it's all about choice for the motorist.

Until we crack our dependence on the car, motorists need to be accommodated along with pedestrians.

Someone asked how it was affecting city centre businesses, I believe it can take 3 cars an hour to get out of the Market Cross car park at peak times Fri/Sat.

If that doesn't make for a negative end to your shopping experience tell me what does?

The fact that if you walk into a shop in Kilkenny, there's a 97% possibility that it will be a Dunnes Stores.

pueblo wrote: »
    Two ways is better than one....it's all about choice for the motorist.

Until we crack our dependence on the car, motorists need to be accommodated along with pedestrians.

Someone asked how it was affecting city centre businesses, I believe it can take 3 cars an hour to get out of the Market Cross car park at peak times Fri/Sat.

If that doesn't make for a negative end to your shopping experience tell me what does?

The problem is that motorists aren't being accommodated along with pedestrians. That is not the issue.

Motorists are being prioritised ahead of pedestrians, cyclists and the disabled. That's the crux of the issue.

If I think the drive into town is going to be a nightmare then I'll make alternate plans. Plans such as home delivery, walking, shopping in the outer environs of the city or maybe just getting out of the crib that bit earlier and shopping at a quieter time. You want to talk about choice for the motorist, that's choice for the motorist isn't it?

But apparently, there's a huge smattering of moaners who can't do these kind of things.

Driving is a choice. So don't be moaning if you're stuck in town in traffic for a few hours. It's your choice. You decided to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Threadhead wrote: »
    Driving is a choice. So don't be moaning if you're stuck in town in traffic for a few hours. It's your choice. You decided to do it.

Walking is a choice. So don't be moaning if you can't walk in town because of the traffic for a few hours. It's your choice. You decided to do it.

Two wrongs don't make a right (turn)

reading your contributions I think you are all great, at least you care about our city, the comment about Market Cross applies equally to Market Yard, and also it can take just as long to get in. as a motorist of course we have a choice, and also never forget other's, pedestrians, disabled, pram pushers etc, examine the issue, pram pushers and wheelchair pushers are definately not wanted in Kilkenny, bad enough during the week, saturday is no no, but hang on they are entitled to the same freedom as the motorist, pedestrians have to put up with the car fumes they have no choice, someone said freedom, the motorist has the same rights as everyone else to expect decent parking and reasonably free flowing traffic. Now before the one way system went in we were told a study would be done, now McGuiness is doing another one right. Is it not time for the poeple of Kilkenny to say to the elected representatives get off your butts and do something positive or get out. you all put yourselves up for the job

They tried something and very vocal sections of society made them back down. Society tolerates loud mouths that make neither sense nor reason.

pueblo wrote: »
    Walking is a choice. So don't be moaning if you can't walk in town because of the traffic for a few hours. It's your choice. You decided to do it.

Two wrongs don't make a right (turn)

You're absolutely right. But my point is that privileges afforded to motorists are far greater than other people in Kilkenny and that is why I make the point that they most of all, are the most tiresome (and vocal) of moaners.

People who are disabled do not have a choice and was their quality of living in the city centre taken into account ahead of the motorist? No, it most certainly was not.

There has to be a semblance of equality for all, and there isn't in Kilkenny. There just isn't.

Whoever dec\ided to cobble Keiron St, have you ever been in a wheelchair or watched a mother and baby, try crossing past James St on Saturday with pram or wheelchair, and how about going up the pavement at Bateman Quay, Rose Inn St how no one is injured there, of course The Mayors Walk is lovely it would be, me feels we are fighting a lost cause the council doesn't want to know our elected representatives fail to represent the electorate, hey received a detailed bus guide to the town bus from Bernard Kavanagh thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

To be honest imo, i think high street should be pedestrianized.

Friary street remain one way up and James street remain one way down, pedestrianized streets in citys is the Norm and has great effects for businesses for example look at Oliver plunkett street in cork city or Grafton street in Dublin.
    Both are pedestrianized during the day and open to loading in the early morning and late evening.

Would make sense and Kilkenny a much nicer place to be for pedestrianized not to mention safer for everyone.

Advertisement