Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two way traffic on high street again

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

yes a splendid sloution, why not lobby our representatives if everyone agrees, take a vote save our city, brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BambooBob

In defence of the oneway, It made life easier for Pedestrians on High Street. It also made it more feasible for someone to pull up in a car to collect heavier items.
    Against the one way is the fact that it may have put people coming from the Freshford/Castlecomer Road off coming into High Street because of the hassle.
    By all account there were terrible queues where Bateman Quay meets John's Bridge/Rose Inn Street.

One way is only really feasible where there is a triangle/four roads which allows a proper circuit to be completed.

Three other points I wish to make.

1. It is a shame Marks and Spencers didn't take the Dunnes unit in McDonagh Junction. Do we really need two Dunnes in KK.
    2. In order for there to be life about the city centre KK needs High Street to be a strong retail zone. Retail brings life to the streets during the day. Nightlife does likewise at night. We have allowed retails parks and McDonagh Junction to come to pass. The Market Cross centre is seriously dated and looking tired. Will Mcdonagh suffer the same fate in time to come?
    3. KK as much as any other urban centre in the country can only support so much retail activity. Essentially KK is over shopped.

I agree with your comments, however there was no reason Bateman Quay was left as a two way road, maaking it one way would have allowed traffic to turn right and left at the bridge provided Rose Inn St was one way up to the traffic lights, your circuit. As for over shopped , no the problem is the parking too costly no enough of it, both Market Cross and Yard can be dire to get in and out, we don't come for that reason, it is easier to go Clonmel and M & S and Tesco of course, Clonmel is also wheelchair friendly unlike Kilkenny, The Mayors walk is grand lovely for the castle pity about facilities for those of us who love our city and live here.
    Had they built a proper ring road would there be problems from Freshford? but there you go thanks have a nice day, what good is the arcade in High St?, empty lovely Supermacs, then just look at McDonalds and all the gambling joints for schoolkids, some council

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Counting down the hours!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Plug wrote: »
    Counting down the hours!

...to chaos, ruining the city, driving away tourists, creating a "car culture" take your pick what your counting down to :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

Kilkenny, the county that time forgot. . . . . . We cant be having change now can we!:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

So, what changes have been brought about by reverting to a 2 way? I've not been in town in a while and am feeling quite curious. Has it improved?

Traffic has improved greatly and shops have seen sharp rises in profits including the new Dunnes stores on High Street.

Could somebody tell me what plug is on about, I am all for constructive comment, today as any monday one canot gauge the traffic situation as there is so little, I made about six runs up and down and apart from a badly parked jeep nr james st it was clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

only one word for it, disgrace. should never have been reversed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just drove both ways up it there and the car didn't explode. I think the traffic coming from the Freshford road side may have been a bit heavier but in town was running smoother (bit difficult to call after one day). How as ever the one way thing wasn't put in for the cars but for everyone else. I still believe a one way with wider paths or pedestrianised High Street would be most beneficial for business. I think the one experiment was a success as the town planners do have something to go back on and now know the weak points such as the parade, the no right turn onto Rose Inn St. etc....

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

greenfly wrote: »
    To be honest imo, i think high street should be pedestrianized.

Friary street remain one way up and James street remain one way down, pedestrianized streets in citys is the Norm and has great effects for businesses for example look at Oliver plunkett street in cork city or Grafton street in Dublin.
    Both are pedestrianized during the day and open to loading in the early morning and late evening.

Would make sense and Kilkenny a much nicer place to be for pedestrianized not to mention safer for everyone.

I agree and think it would be much better for Kilkenny and give KCC the license to come up some ideas to attract people/shoppers into the City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

...the no right turn onto Rose Inn St. etc....
    To be honest, I wouldn't have much confidence in them if they weren't able to spot this as a potential problem until after it was implemented. If they went one-way on High St again but got rid of that, I'd be happy. But for now, I'm delighted two-way is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

would the one way system work better if the one way on the high street was flowing the other way

Don't put your idea in the CC heads!

Advertisement