Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Up Yours BIFFO!

• 18-10-2010 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Check out the picture on today's Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/

That young lad in the grey hoodie is clearly giving Brian Cowen the 2 finger salute..... hilarious!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There will be many more doing that after December's budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

He deserves a lot more! I'd love to wipe that smile off his face...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Biggins wrote: »
    There will be many more doing that after December's budget.

Or have been doing it now for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Cowen will probably have the last laugh - that kid will turn into a drug dealer or spend his life on the dole :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Hmmm, looks more like he's tugging his forelock to the gentry. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That young lad in the grey hoodie is clearly giving Brian Cowen the 2 finger salute..... hilarious!
    Hilarious? Really?

A pie to the face.. now that's hilarious!

Anything else is just lacking a pie to the face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Up Yours BIFFO!

2 fingers doesn't mean up yours, unless they've changed it since I were a rabscallion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I'm sure the young lad's actions were motivated by his displeasure at the state of the political landscape of this country. Dole queues hitting record numbers. Rampant political corruption. And a country without any leadership or direction.

Or else he thought 'LOOK! A FUCKING CAMERA! LOOKIT ME STICK ME FINGERS UP! I MIGHT GET ON DA NEWZ! LOLS!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I'm sure the young lad's actions were motivated by his displeasure at the state of the political landscape of this country. Dole queues hitting record numbers. Rampant political corruption. And a country without any leadership or direction.

Or else he thought 'LOOK! A FUCKING CAMERA! LOOKIT ME STICK ME FINGERS UP! I MIGHT GET ON DA NEWZ! LOLS!'

Whatever the reason, it made me chuckle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

direct link to article? it's not there any more on that page.

• Advertisement

Ah shyte I can't find it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Rick_

Doesn't look like he's sticking his fingers up at him to me, just his hands in a funny "devil horns" style pose and the camera happened to go off and capture that moment. His other hand seems to be doing the same going by how many of his fingers we can see on the other hand and their position, I think it's a misunderstanding. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Ye know that the two finger sign is said to originate too from the English/French wars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Ye know that the two finger sign is said to originate too from the English/French wars?

Yeah something to do with Archers

Correct. When the archers of the enemy were caught, one side would cut the two bow fingers off of the enemy (rather than killing him) to disable him.

As a sign of defiance, when one side would face the other, to show that there was still fighters to be killed and that they were ready to continue the fight, archers would stick up their two fingers at the enemy to show this and provoke them more.

Something like "Ha-ha, you ain't got us beat yet" or "You still ain't got us all" - "we still have our fingers..." etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wouldn't surprise me if they were some TD's/staffer's kids in an effort to show Brian's "lighter" side! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Is there anyone else who goes into a blind rage when they see the face of Brian Cowen?

I despise ignorant and ill mannered people but he and the majority of Irish politicians are beyond belief.
    Apart from the fact he is milking the working class for all they have and leaving them to live from scraps, he is embarrassing us.

Through the noughties Ireland dragged itself out of its drunken buffoon stereotype by becoming a breeding ground from new businesses and leader in the Technological industry with many mulit-national computer based companies setting up here due to the attraction of a Highly skilled workforce with expertise in may different areas.

When The celtic tiger dies its Irelands time to shine and prove to the world we are a strong nation. One that will overcome any adversity.
    Wages are cut. Jobs are cut. Bills rise. Houses are lost. Families are broken, and Captain Cowen of the S.S ****heap goes out for beers. Again. and again. Wins €30,000 on a horse he had a leg in. His incompetence knows no bounds. We must rise up and take back what we have works so hard for. Ireland has a history of hardship like no other country and Biffo is determined to add more misery to the pages of history.

He insists that people go out and spend. Spend what? He has taken what the public has worked so hard for. 100,000's work 10+ hour days to make ends meet.
    I realise that this video is not a perfect fit for this rant but I feel the basic point of it is apt.
    Thanks for reading and after reading this, remember....you are the resistance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I really doubt the kid means anything. Just had his hand like that as the photo was being taken.

Fu*king muppet journalists.
    Correct. When the archers of the enemy were caught, one side would cut the two bow fingers off of the enemy (rather than killing him) to disable him.

As a sign of defiance, when one side would face the other, to show that there was still fighters to be killed and that they were ready to continue the fight, archers would stick up their two fingers at the enemy to show this and provoke them more.

Something like "Ha-ha, you ain't got us beat yet" or "You still ain't got us all" - "we still have our fingers..." etc...

I believe it was the hundred years war. It was the British having their fingers cut off to stop them using longbows. They never did it back; I don't think the French had longbows then actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I still don't get it

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I really doubt the kid means anything. Just had his hand like that as the photo was being taken.

Fu*king muppet journalists.

I believe it was the hundred years war. It was the British having their fingers cut off to stop them using longbows. They never did it back; I don't think the French had longbows then actually.

Both aren't true actually, they think it's supposed to be horns, which would suggest the person you were giving the 'horns' to would be a cuckold

I smarts

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Both aren't true actually, they think it's supposed to be horns, which would suggest the person you were giving the 'horns' to would be a cuckold

I smarts

ACtually you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if they were some TD's/staffer's kids in an effort to show Brian's "lighter" side! :rolleyes:

Or leon and his mates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

FFS OP , a NSFW tag wouldnt go astray, I got a shock when I opened that to be confronted with Joan Burtons face. Save that **** for halloween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A three fingered 'up yours'? That's a first for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Very true, when the French captured the hated English Long Bow men, they liked to chop off their Bow fingers. To annoy the French, Long Bow men liked to show them their fingers by giving them the 'V' sign

Very true, when the French captured the hated English Long Bow men, they liked to chop off their Bow fingers. To annoy the French, Long Bow men liked to show them their fingers by giving them the 'V' sign

I thought that was a myth?

Link 1

" Unfortunately no contemporary accounts of the battle mention this at all, and no enemy would be able to see which, or even how many, fingers a bowman was shaking at him. The main advantage of the longbow was that the bowman stood far enough away from a bow-less adversary so that he was able to kill the enemy whilst he couldn't be reached himself. It is possible that the gesture was not used during combat, but as a general gesture of defiance against France after the battle which may have taken years before coming into general use. However, this is undermined because there was no system of taking prisoners of war in those days, not even one allowing mutilation of the opposition. The most likely outcome of capture for a longbowman, who was unlikely to have had any rich relatives from whom to extract a ransom, was death. Cutting off two fingers seems a little pointless if the prisoner is about to be killed anyway, and who would tell the tale?"

Link 2

"The archers story is an urban legend - a story, usually false, which appears mysteriously, spreads quickly and is widely believed to be true."

Link 3

"Agincourt: The myth of the V-sign

*Popularised in the 20th century by Churchill, legend has it that the V-sign traces its origins to the Hundred Years War. Popular folklore states that the French promised to cut off the first two fingers of any English longbowmen they captured so that they would never be able to pull back the strings of their bows. The bowmen would taunt their French adversaries by holding their healthily attached fingers high in the air. The problem, however, is that the story is almost certainly nothing more than an urban myth. No contemporary sources mention the V-sign."

Ah, the feeling of smugness is all fuzzy and warm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Sorry Biggins, I heard that was not true also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Why all the Brian Cowen hate? He's doing the best he can with a very very very bad situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Brendog wrote: »
    Ireland has a history of hardship like no other country

I agreed with your post apart from this retarded statement.

kiad wrote: »
    Why all the Brian Cowen hate? He's doing the best he can with a very very very bad situation.

Just to clarify. I didn't intend to start a debate about how good or bad a job he's doing. I just saw what I thought was a funny picture, and thought I'd share it!

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Sorry Biggins, I heard that was not true also.

:)

No worries, someone else might have historic credentials and a website/historic book/etc that might say different.
    Its all interesting, debatable and a lot of the time conjecture based on experience of the individual, personal knowledge and ones own opinion added into the mix.

:)

No worries, someone else might have historic credentials and a website/historic book/etc that might say different.
    Its all interesting, debatable and a lot of the time conjecture based on experience of the individual, personal knowledge and ones own opinion added into the mix.

It is true though. It was just used as propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The link in the OP brings you to the main page.

Which currently has this picture.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/images/2010/1019/abstract_262965.jpg?ts=1287513181

Why in gods name does Mary keep getting that penis haircut?
    Im not fashion guru, but surely with the massive hairdressing budget surely she can hire some gay dude that would scream "Oh my god noooooo" in a high pitched voice and then slap her when she asks for it done that way.

Jumpy wrote: »
    The link in the OP brings you to the main page.

Which currently has this picture.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/images/2010/1019/abstract_262965.jpg?ts=1287513181

Why in gods name does Mary keep getting that penis haircut?
    Im not fashion guru, but surely with the massive hairdressing budget surely she can hire some gay dude that would scream "Oh my god noooooo" in a high pitched voice and then slap her when she asks for it done that way.
    Well a leopard can't change its spots or the way it looks.
    It now it seems, either can a dick!

Advertisement