Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antique Rotary Telephone

Options
  • 18-10-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is the right area so feel free to move this (it's the only forum that I could find that was even remotely near the subject of analogue telephony).

I was wondering if anybody knew of a company in Dublin that can make custom telephony cables. I'm converting an old Western Electric 500 telephone for use on modern telephone networks at the moment.

The type of cable I'll need made up is a modular RJ11 to Spade Lugs. Like this one here:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=2610

I was also wondering if anybody knew if UPC's telephone network supports pulse dialling?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Simply get one of these : RJ11surfacebox.jpg most hardware shops and even supermarket sell them.

Connect the Western Electric phone's spade connectors to the terminals you'd normally connect the phoneline to inside the extension socket above. You may have to experiment with different combinations of connection if it doesn't immediately work. However, if it follows standard US wiring, just connect the red to the red and the green to the green and ignore the yellow and black.

Then plug a standard Irish RJ11-RJ11 line cord into the socket and plug it into your phone socket / analogue VoIP port.

I am not 100% sure if UPC's ATA will support pulse dialing, but many ATAs do so you've a very strong chance that it will work.

Eircom's lines have no issue with pulse dialing. You can even use call waiting by dialing "1" (instead of R) and then "2" to switch calls.

Also, tie loose knot in the line cord and stuff it inside the socket. This will prevent strain on the terminals if someone were to tug the wire hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Thanks for the advice. In my time since posting this I bought a spade to RJ11 modular cable and wired it directly into the phone itself.

After rewiring the telephone network inside the phone slightly I can get it to ring on an incoming call.

Still having issues dialling out. The UPC ATA doesn't support pulse dialling it seems so I will need to buy a converter soon.

Achilles wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. In my time since posting this I bought a spade to RJ11 modular cable and wired it directly into the phone itself.

After rewiring the telephone network inside the phone slightly I can get it to ring on an incoming call.

Still having issues dialling out. The UPC ATA doesn't support pulse dialling it seems so I will need to buy a converter soon.

You possibly need a ring-capaciator. If you have an eircom master socket you can just connect the 3rd wire on the phone (not sure which one that might be, you may need to try around) to the "R" terminal on the socket. This should do the trick.

Alternatively, buy a BT master socket online (these have the correct circuitry, the only major difference to an eircom socket is the plug/socket is of a different design)

Solair wrote: »
    You possibly need a ring-capaciator. If you have an eircom master socket you can just connect the 3rd wire on the phone (not sure which one that might be, you may need to try around) to the "R" terminal on the socket. This should do the trick.

Alternatively, buy a BT master socket online (these have the correct circuitry, the only major difference to an eircom socket is the plug/socket is of a different design)

Thank you for your advice but that's not what the issue is.

I need to buy a pulse to DTMF converter as the UPC VOIP telephone network doesn't support pulse dialling.

I haven't tested the phone on a traditional eircom line yet but I'd imagine that it'd work as their network still supports pulse dialling as far as I'm aware.

Thank you though!

Yeah, all landlines, pretty much world-wide still support pulse dialing.

Quite a lot of VoIP ATAs do too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have you contacted UPC?

It is possible there is a setting in their ATA which would allow pulse dialling phones to work ......

Have you contacted UPC?

It is possible there is a setting in their ATA which would allow pulse dialling phones to work ......

Yeah... I got four morons that had no idea what I was talking about including one supervisor...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Hehe thats not surprising believe me! (Especially 'today')

Good luck with this :)

Does anybody know if there's anywhere local that would sell a pulse tone to DTMF converter?

Trying to get one online for a reasonable price is a nightmare.

Advertisement