Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marlay park, limitations.

• 18-10-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭

I was in Marlay park a few weeks back, and ran through most of a roll or portra 160nc. I was shooting with my Helios 44-2, hence the second bit of the thread title. It's an interesing lens, and I really like what it does with portraits and with the splendidly busy OOF areas. Most significantly though, on nikon bodies, because of the film->flange distance, with an uncorrected adapter you lose infinity focus. In fact you lose the ability to focus past about 3 meters or so. This is a pretty big limitation, but I find, along with how I know it's going to render the scene, that it focuses what I'm doing on particular subjects or compositions. Of course then I wonder if I'm overdoing it ...

Here are a few, more on my stream. Apologies if people have seen these before, most have been up on the random picture thread over the last few weeks.

5039133825_5a2a9eca10.jpg

5039122719_e9cf08c3bf.jpg

5043964582_50f0a8f9c0.jpg

5048175934_a96164267f.jpg

Nice and soft for portrait work as well ...

5092406055_482306cebe.jpg

It also makes me prone to taking shots like this :

5025714412_6fcda21e70.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

I really like these Daire, the out of focus backgrounds are so beautiful, they're just my cup of tea, wonderful tones too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

*eadaoin wrote: »
    I really like these Daire, the out of focus backgrounds are so beautiful, they're just my cup of tea, wonderful tones too.

With a cupcake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

With a cupcake?

ideally yes! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Where did you get the adapter for the lenses? I take it they're m24 screw mount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

*eadaoin wrote: »

Yeah you can't beat Portra NC for that. Gorgeous pastels.
    JayEnnis wrote: »
    Where did you get the adapter for the lenses? I take it they're m24 screw mount?

I just got it on EBay somewhere, they're pretty cheap. The lens is M42, yes. You can get adapters with a lens that corrects for the infinity focus, but the cheap ones are pretty dreadful. I kinda like it the way it works at the moment. I keep on meaning to get some cheap M42 body to stick it onto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Yeah you can't beat Portra NC for that. Gorgeous pastels.

I just got it on EBay somewhere, they're pretty cheap. The lens is M42, yes. You can get adapters with a lens that corrects for the infinity focus, but the cheap ones are pretty dreadful. I kinda like it the way it works at the moment. I keep on meaning to get some cheap M42 body to stick it onto.

Ah yes m42, too much shooting games I think with me calling it the m24 :rolleyes:

I'll have a look on ebay now, have you any links to the ones that correct the infinity focus problem? I have quite a lot of m42 lenses and would like to use them on my D80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Ah yes m42, too much shooting games I think with me calling it the m24 :rolleyes:

I'll have a look on ebay now, have you any links to the ones that correct the infinity focus problem? I have quite a lot of m42 lenses and would like to use them on my D80.

Just do a search for "m42 nikon adapter lens" or something similar, you'll get a bunch of hits. I can't really speak for the quality of the ones that include a corrective lens, by repute they're not meant to be the best, but they're fairly cheap as well so you could just get both I guess and try them out.

Advertisement