Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New MotorBike User

• 18-10-2010 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi All,

About to pick up my provisional license / learner permit for a motorbike A license in a couple of days. Just had a few questions for any motorbike users that know the answers.

How long is the waiting list between making the appointment and having the test for category A license ??

As I am restricted on bikes that are under 33bhp or 25 Kilowatts what is a nice fast bike to get that is preferably just under the limit. A friend of mine told me I could get a honda VFR 400 which is just under the limit but it is not, so can't get that one ??

How hard is the actual test? I have heard the motorbike test is one of the hardest to get, is this true ??

What do most people fail on on the motorbike test so I can review ?

Where can I get the stig helmet ?

thanks All

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How long is the waiting list between making the appointment and having the test for category A license ??

Depends on location. I was waiting nine months for a date in Tallagh. Twice.
    As I am restricted on bikes that are under 33bhp or 25 Kilowatts what is a nice fast bike to get that is preferably just under the limit. A friend of mine told me I could get a honda VFR 400 which is just under the limit but it is not, so can't get that one ??

You can restrict any bike over the limit to 33bhp making it legal.
    How hard is the actual test? I have heard the motorbike test is one of the hardest to get, is this true ??

Not true, its as easy as any other driving test in this country. The reviewer is 20-50 feet behind you so its hard for them to spot any minor mistakes.
    What do most people fail on on the motorbike test so I can review ?

The usual, improper use of signals, lack of forward observation etc.
    Where can I get the stig helmet ?

The Stig Helmet is primarily a drag racing helmet designed for use within a car. Not the best choice IMO.

We have a bike forum btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Waiting time for my test was about a month, all three times.

Wasn't in Dublin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

Depends on location. I was waiting nine months for a date in Tallagh. Twice.

You can restrict any bike over the limit to 33bhp making it legal.

Not true, its as easy as any other driving test in this country. The reviewer is 20-50 feet behind you so its hard for them to spot any minor mistakes.

The usual, improper use of signals, lack of forward observation etc.

The Stig Helmet is primarily a drag racing helmet designed for use within a car. Not the best choice IMO.

We have a bike forum btw.

thnx for the info man, 9 months is a long time which is unfortunate so I can expect to wait roughly 9 months.

Sy, didn't know there was a bike forum. I agree with you on the Stig helmet, also don't think I would like a black visor for riding at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

thnx for the info man, 9 months is a long time which is unfortunate so I can expect to wait roughly 9 months.

Sy, didn't know there was a bike forum. I agree with you on the Stig helmet, also don't think I would like a black visor for riding at night

You have to wait 6 months anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

Its not just the visor colour that's the problem with the stig helmet, It has a smaller opening to see out, so isn't very good for observation etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

this thread in the motorbike section might help Op:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056052688

• Advertisement

masseyno9 wrote: »
    You have to wait 6 months anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

I have to wait 6 months on my learner permit / proviosnal license

Only after my 6 months is up can I apply for the full license which takes 9 months so that's 14 months in total !! or just over a year in total + the 2 year wait afterwards before I can get a real bike

They sure make it difficult & time consuming

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

No you can apply whenever you just need to wait 6 months before you can take the test.

Only after my 6 months is up can I apply for the full license which takes 9 months so that's 14 months in total !! or just over a year in total + the 2 year wait afterwards before I can get a real bike
    What would you consider a real bike op?

You can get a 'real bike' as you put it on an A licence/permit it must be restricted through.

Trust me a restricted bike will still run rings around most high end sports cars and be more then enough power to give you a scare.

I would advise you to get lesson though.

I thought I had to get the mandatory 16 hours of motorbike lessons until yesterday. If you get a learner permit after the 6th Dec 2010 you have to get lessons but if you get the learner permit before this date which I will I don't have to do the 16 lessons.

However I will get about 6 lessons and maybe a couple of practise exams just to be sure. Would be a bit idiotic not to do them really.

I was under the impression I had to wait 6 months before being able to apply for the full test on my learner permit but If I can book it straight away I will, thnx for that advice if it's true, you would have saved me 6 months of extra waiting

I thought I had to get the mandatory 16 hours of motorbike lessons until yesterday. If you get a learner permit after the 6th Dec 2010 you have to get lessons but if you get the learner permit before this date which I will I don't have to do the 16 lessons.

How can you do lessons without a permit?
    However I will get about 6 lessons and maybe a couple of practise exams just to be sure. Would be a bit idiotic not to do them really.

Yes it would. There are dynamics to bike riding that don't transfer just because you know how to drive a car.
    I was under the impression I had to wait 6 months before being able to apply for the full test on my learner permit but If I can book it straight away I will, thnx for that advice if it's true, you would have saved me 6 months of extra waiting

Nope, as Kami said. You can apply now and just state that your available after the six month limitation on your license. Your also restricted on power for the following two years after passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Moving to Motorbikes

How can you do lessons without a permit?

Yes it would. There are dynamics to bike riding that don't transfer just because you know how to drive a car.

You do the 16 lessons after your get your learner permit.
    If you get the learner permit before the 6th Dec 2010 you don't have to do the mandatory 16 lessons HOWEVER if you get the learner permit after the 6th of Dec you have to do the 16 lessons.

As I will be getting my licesnse on 22nd Oct I will have the learner permit before the 6th Dec therefor I won't have to do the lessons

PS - can people start naming fast bikes under 25 kilowatts and under 33bhp

I know I can get a bigger bike and get it limited but don't think I could be ar$ed doing that and would rather a bike within the legal limits

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

PS - can people start naming fast bikes under 25 kilowatts and under 33bhp....I know I can get a bigger bike and get it limited but don't think I could be ar$ed doing that and would rather a bike within the legal limits

You would be an idiot to dismiss restriction as an option but WTF would we know about it :rolleyes: How many desirable/ practical bikes do you think are out there that are learner legal?

I've had three bikes in total in my short career, all of which have been restricted up until my restriction expired last August.

Here is a list. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62241070&postcount=1

I have a Restricted 650cc. Nothing wrong with it, unless you fancy powering past 160kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

hobochris wrote: »
    Trust me a restricted bike will still run rings around most high end sports cars and be more then enough power to give you a scare.

That's a tad, nah insanely over optimistic.

A restricted bike is quick enough to entertain and even scare yourself, any bike is alway going to feel faster than just about any car (bar a genuine race car) OP don't be in such a hurry, walk to run etc, the vast majority of those riding around on unrestrcited powerful bikes will rarely use even half the bikes full potential.

As most have said, get some lessons, they're worth their weight in gold for confidence and experience.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

cantdecide wrote: »
    You would be an idiot to dismiss restriction as an option but WTF would we know about it :rolleyes: How many desirable/ practical bikes do you think are out there that are learner legal?

I've had three bikes in total in my short career, all of which have been restricted up until my restriction expired last August.

I know, just buying a bigger bike and getting it restricted would not be for me. I would more than likely de-restrict it just coz it would be there.

Although looking at the list of bikes there that are road legal are all horrible bikes and I wouldn't be caught dead on any of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LolNoob

OP: You are the image of what is wrong with road users in this country.

Thankfully with a bike, unlike a car, your idiocy is more of a danger to yourself than anyone else. Let's just hope that other innocent road users don't get caught up in the mess you are certain to create.

I know, just buying a bigger bike and getting it restricted would not be for me. I would more than likely de-restrict it just coz it would be there.

Although looking at the list of bikes there that are road legal are all horrible bikes and I wouldn't be caught dead on any of them

De-restricting carries complications. Its not incredibly easy on some models, piss easy on others. Your insurance cover would become Third party only and you would be liable for the costs. Police in certain spots are pulling and impounding bikes that rip the piss.

At the end of the day with a bigger bike you get better grip, better brakes, more stability and experience moving something heavy around at slow speeds. It will still be a good bike, just not easy to kill yourself in a day good.

You can buy factory restricted bikes, or pre-restricted second hand bikes.

LolNoob wrote: »

Thankfully with a bike, unlike a car, your idiocy is more of a danger to yourself than anyone else. Let's just hope that other innocent road users don't get caught up in the mess you are certain to create.

Unfortunately if he did something stupid and get himself injured or killed it would effect everyone else on two wheels, it would add to statistics and insurance companies would uses those statistics to push up premiums for everyone else.

LolNoob wrote: »

LOLNoob WTF are you talking about ??
    I WANT to go road legal with a restricted bike ( safer than a big restricted bike I would imagine )and get a small bike to learn off on with lessons.
    Once I am happy I will eventually purchase a bigger bike

I am not going to argue with what you have said but needless to say the next time I overtake you will be when I'm doing a wheelie past you.

Dere - had to say it to give you your cummupins

• Advertisement

LOLNoob WTF are you talking about ??
    I WANT to go road legal with a restricted bike ( safer than a big restricted bike I would imagine )and get a small bike to learn off on with lessons.
    Once I am happy I will eventually purchase a bigger bike

I am not going to argue with what you have said but needless to say the next time I overtake you will be when I'm doing a wheelie past you.

Dere - had to say it to give you your cummupins

I hope there's a garda around when you do this because your sounding like the type that will give the rest of a bad name.

hobochris wrote: »
    I hope there's a garda around when you do this because your sounding like the type that will give the rest of a bad name.

I was taking the piss regarding the wheelie as a joke to the other user who says I am what's wrong with road users when he is talking through his crack.

All I said was the bikes that are restricted are horrible &
    I don't want a big bike that's restricted
    As I am a learner on a bike and had a bike over 10 yrs ago I fully understand the risks that come with driving a bike.

I want my full licesnse and lessons and a restricted bike and I get torn apart by some muppet who probably drives a streetfighter or batman bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I think your taking the "restriction" word to mean your bike will be slow.
    Thats not the case at all. Sure ive a 600 bandit thats restricted. Its still pretty damn fast off the mark, the only real thing the restriction does to piss me off is making me change gears so fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...All I said was the bikes that are restricted are horrible...

I've just de-restricted my blackbird and I haven't gotten around to de-restricting my GSX1400 yet. If you believe that they're horrible when restricted, you're wrong. IME, 60-70% of the low end grunt is still there but top speed goes out the window.

If you're in danger of getting a notion about de-restricting a bigger bike later, then fair enough.

goodlad wrote: »
    I think your taking the "restriction" word to mean your bike will be slow.
    Thats not the case at all. Sure ive a 600 bandit thats restricted. Its still pretty damn fast off the mark, the only real thing the restriction does to piss me off is making me change gears so fast.

( I think your taking the "restriction" word to mean your bike will be slow. )
    I think you are correct here and that's exactly what I think.
    On top of that the bikes that are "under the limits" they're aren't any lookers.

Maybe I will get what I've always wanted which is a Honda Hornet 600 streeetfighter and just get it restricted so

( I think your taking the "restriction" word to mean your bike will be slow. )
    I think you are correct here and that's exactly what I think.
    On top of that the bikes that are "under the limits" they're aren't any lookers.

Maybe I will get what I've always wanted which is a Honda Hornet 600 streeetfighter and just get it restricted so

I agree, with you about most low power bikes not looking the best.
    Your best option is to just get yourself the 600 and restrict it.

Even a restricted 600 takes off fast enough and will hit about 140kmh easily with no trouble.

goodlad wrote: »
    I agree, with you about most low power bikes not looking the best.
    Your best option is to just get yourself the 600 and restrict it.

Even a restricted 600 takes off fast enough and will hit about 140kmh easily with no trouble.

TBH I am more concerned about the looks of a bike as opposed to how fast it goes etc etc....

Would there by any problems buying say a 2nd hand bike and then restricting the engine or would that cause problems. ( EG ) should you only restrict a new bike with a new engine or can the engine be retricted on a bike that is 8 yrs old and never been restriceted before ?

TBH I am more concerned about the looks of a bike as opposed to how fast it goes etc etc....

Would there by any problems buying say a 2nd hand bike and then restricting the engine or would that cause problems. ( EG ) should you only restrict a new bike with a new engine or can the engine be retricted on a bike that is 8 yrs old and never been restriceted before ?

Ya can restrict pretty much any bike just fine.
    Sure my bandit is 10 years old and i got it restricted. Its usually around 300 euro for a restriction kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Oh dear, lads on here don't have much time for new young riders, the attitude is typical, most riders had it starting off - no-one wants to ride a restricted bike - FACT. He may end up having to but what's wrong with asking?
    Responding to someone saying you're what's wrong with the world, gonna have a big crash, it'll be your fault etc etc is just a reaction to a troll, I'd let him away with his wheelie comment, come on, we've all done it at some stage, even if by accident we've smiled at how fun a wheelie overtake was.

Now youngster :P, what you're after is something that looks good, goes well and is legal (fair play on that one, there's plenty about that weren't too bothered aboth that bit), how about:

a factory restricted bandit, good looking naked bike, good low down power to get you going, lots of riders started on them.
    a restricted VFR400, suspersports handling, light bike with good low to mid range, looks good.
    There's a few dirt style bikes out there that can be restricted too, or some that are factory restricted.
    There's even a few cruisers, HD style things that meet the power to weight limit as standard (personally hate them but each to their own).
    Or you could get yourself a full power bike and have a shop restrict it, just get over the temptation to pull it out, easier now whith gardai and insurance companies checking for the restrictor.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Oh dear, lads on here don't have much time for new young riders, the attitude is typical, most riders had it starting off - no-one wants to ride a restricted bike - FACT. He may end up having to but what's wrong with asking?
    Responding to someone saying you're what's wrong with the world, gonna have a big crash, it'll be your fault etc etc is just a reaction to a troll, I'd let him away with his wheelie comment, come on, we've all done it at some stage, even if by accident we've smiled at how fun a wheelie overtake was.

Now yougster :P, what you're after is something that looks good, goes well and is legal (fair play on that one, there's plenty about that weren't too bothered aboth that bit), how about:

a factory restricted bandit, good looking naked bike, good low down power to get you going, lots of riders started on them.
    a restricted VFR400, suspersports handling, light bike with good low to mid range, looks good.
    There's a few dirt style bikes out there that can be restricted too, or some that are factory restricted.
    There's even a few cruisers, HD style things that meet the power to weight limit as standard (personally hate them but each to their own).
    Or you could get yourself a full power bike and have a shop restrict it, just get over the temptation to pull it out, easier now whith gardai and insurance companies checking for the restrictor.

You have hit the nail on the head, well done sir.
    I am after the sporty head turning wow factor.
    Not so interested in the dirt bikes or cruiser.
    Ultimately I want a hornet 600 as I think this will suit my "soar back" in the sitting up striaght postion.
    Not too pushed about speed, more so looks.
    don't want a restricted bike but that's the law so..........no choice there.

Cheers for the advice regarding you being able to restrict a bike that was 10 yrs old, so I presume it won't affect the engine in any way.
    Think I'll start looking for a hornet 600 and have it restricted, thanks for the sound advice

Advertisement