Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New MotorBike User

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

That stuff aside...

Hornet is a good choice, although can sometimes be overpriced.

The cbf600 might also suit, its the same engine.

honda-cbf-600-s-li.jpg

Restricted they pull up to about 200kmph.

I know from experience(Bandit owner) that they are quicker and have a higher top speed then the Bandit 6 as they are injected(later models).

Sv650 might also be a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

methinks you were racing an unrestricted cbf600.. or his restricter wasnt terribly restrictive!

also, dont believe injected vs carb engine suffer any differntly under restriction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Wossack wrote: »
    methinks you were racing an unrestricted cbf600.. or his restricter wasnt terribly restrictive!

also, dont believe injected vs carb engine suffer any differntly under restriction
    Thats subjective to the bikes in question though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Wossack wrote: »
    ...dont believe injected vs carb engine suffer any differntly under restriction...

My GSX is a FI '01 and my BB is a carbed '98. I felt that the GSX ran smoother overall after being restricted. I felt that the BB was slightly more crude but more predictable across the rev range and had a higher top speed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Jesus H Christ, the high horse brigade are out in force today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Hi All,

About to pick up my provisional license / learner permit for a motorbike A license in a couple of days. Just had a few questions for any motorbike users that know the answers.

How long is the waiting list between making the appointment and having the test for category A license ??

Answer= Waiting time for test depends on what part of the country you are in. You cannot do your test until you have your Learner Permit for 6 months, so best to apply in 3 months to get a date which is past your 6 months.

As I am restricted on bikes that are under 33bhp or 25 Kilowatts what is a nice fast bike to get that is preferably just under the limit. A friend of mine told me I could get a honda VFR 400 which is just under the limit but it is not, so can't get that one ??
    I suggest that you get an insurance quote on a few different bikes before you decide how much you can afford to spend on a bike. For example a factory restricted bike can be a group 5 while the same bike would be group 8 even with an aftermarket restriction kit on it.

How hard is the actual test? I have heard the motorbike test is one of the hardest to get, is this true ??
    The test is not hard, all you got to do is ride the way the tester wants.

What do most people fail on on the motorbike test so I can review ?
    Observation and Lane position mostly

Where can I get the stig helmet ?
    Not suitable for bikes. You could get a white helmet and have a spare dark visor for sunny days.

thanks All

Hornets are plenty fast even when restricted.
    Most restricted bikes will get up to 155Kph approx, on closed roads of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭alyuciao

My hornet 250 came with the original pipes, up to 80k's she sounds sweet. Then at 120K's the engine is screaming.

Is that the restrictor? if so...... can I do something? like have it removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

alyuciao wrote: »
    My hornet 250 came with the original pipes, up to 80k's she sounds sweet. Then at 120K's the engine is screaming.

Sounds normal for a 250, you can have the restriction removed at most bike shops, you'll probably have to produce your full unrestricted license to have it done though.
    If your license is restricted you'll invalidate your insurance by removing it.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

alyuciao wrote: »

Remove the 2 middle pistons. That's what causes the screaming..............

:rolleyes:

Advertisement