Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewriting flash site for HTML5 for iphones/ipads etc

Options
  • 18-10-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

What's the best way of doing this? I have a client that wants to rewrite their site that was originally done with flash to have the same animations working on iPad/iPhone etc. Can I use Flash CS5 and export to HTML5? Has anyone been asked to do something similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It depends on how complex the animations being used in the flash are - in theory you could just rebuild the site with HTML/CSS and the animating is done via jQuery / Mootools

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'll second using jQuery etc...

HTML5 is a catch all term for a lot of things, many of which are not supported by IE and even browsers a year or two old, so be careful with your testing before you commit to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Hi there, I am the same situation, but am completely amateur. Any help would be really appreciated!

Pixelburp, when you say complex how complex exactly, if you dont mind elaborating?

When people suggest jquery I am slightly unsure where to start, I have one element to my site that is an animation of around 250 frames, and I think maybe something like this is what I need?

http://plugins.jquery.com/node/15293/release

How does this all come together exactly? Does it operate on html/css as in, render to divs etc directly? If have an actionscript based menu, is this easily converted using the same image files?

Thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Taking a site from Flash to HTML5 is basically starting from scracth.

Secondly, 'HTML5' doesn't really mean anything, and it's entirely likely what you mean by HTML5 will have no HTML5 in it at all. You need to know what technologies you're actually going to use and how well they are supported on you target browsers.

HTML5 is a usless term to use because it's now a catch all for 'any cool thing, usually with webkit's css' rather than actual HTML or using web standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I saw this video yesterday for a converter that Adobe is working on;

Would be great for converting sites that would that many more weeks completely rewriting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

greyed wrote: »
    Hi there, I am the same situation, but am completely amateur. Any help would be really appreciated!

Pixelburp, when you say complex how complex exactly, if you dont mind elaborating?

Well if the flash being used is nothing more than a slideshow of images fading / sliding in an out, then jQuery is really the best solution. Look up something like jCarousellite that would do the job, or the jQuery Cycle plugin. Particularly with the latter, jQuery can do the same things flash does, only it's easier to edit, scales down better & less plugins to faff about with.

greyed wrote: »
    When people suggest jquery I am slightly unsure where to start, I have one element to my site that is an animation of around 250 frames, and I think maybe something like this is what I need?

jQuery is just a library that simplifies the use of JavaScript so there's less mucking about with complicated code. Traditionally JavaScript was a minefield of a language, constantly writing exceptions so it worked in X/Y/Z browser. jQuery is a common toolset.

You drop it into your webpage's source so that when the page loads, the jQuery does ... whatever it is you want it to do really. It's not necessarily about animating your page. Where it's useful as a replacement for flash is what I spoke of above - simple slideshows of text or imagery. Have a look at my portfolio, I use jQuery in that for image popups (lightbox), and scrolling internal links. Simple page enrichment.

As for the howtos, I would just have a look at the tutorials on jquery.com itself; have a go at this one:
    http://docs.jquery.com/Tutorials:Getting_Started_with_jQuery

Advertisement