Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Hall of Fame

• 18-10-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭

Source
    The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE is currently discussing the idea of potentially inducting Ron Simmons, Lex Luger and bill Goldberg into the 2011 Hall of Fame during the Wrestlemania weekend. It's also being said that WWE wants to induct Sting and The Four Horseman into the HOF, but that all depends on whether or not Ric Flair and Sting re-sign with TNA.

Since Bret is back in WWE and kinda on good terms with Vince and Stu was inducted last year, is it time for Owen to go in or can this not happen because of Owen's widow hating WWE and Vince????

Imo he should have been inducted a long time ago

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

It's the latter. WWE want's to induct him but Martha Hart won't allow it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Owen won't get into the hall of fame until that "so-and-so" is dead. Sad but true, her lawsuit against the WWE has sealed that deal. Huge shame, I wrote about it in detail on the website. That woman disgusts me on so many levels but that's another story.

I think if they go ahead with the WCW theme then Goldberg is 100% in this year.

After that I'd love to see Road Warriors, Ron Simmons, The Great Muta, Ard Anderson, Lex Lugger and Dean Malenko put into the HOF.

I'd love to see Sting in there also but I just don't see him not renewing his TNA contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Owen won't get into the hall of fame until that "so-and-so" is dead. Sad but true, her lawsuit against the WWE has sealed that deal. Huge shame, I wrote about it in detail on the website. That woman disgusts me on so many levels but that's another story.

That's rather harsh. The WWE were at fault for his death. If you lost a spouse in similar circumstances, you probably wouldn't feel very hospitable towards the company or indeed the industry in question would you? The only real reading regarding her that i've done is Bret's book and while she does come accross as unreasonable in certain instances in the book, i wouldn't go as far as to wish she was dead so Owen could enter a biased Hall of Fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Have to agree, if some company was directly responsible for my spouse's death and indirectly responsible for many in my family, i'd have no qualms withholding footage/rights for whatever they want to do. **** them!

It really does suck that we as wrestling fans, and his 'wrestling family' too, can't truly celebrate Owen's wrestling career, as we can't have a large, public tribute to his career with a HoF induction, and a DVD showcasing his talent and the love wrestlers and fans alike have for Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Is Teddy Long likely to go in or was that just a storyline involving McIntyre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Degag wrote: »
    That's rather harsh. The WWE were at fault for his death. If you lost a spouse in similar circumstances, you probably wouldn't feel very hospitable towards the company or indeed the industry in question would you? The only real reading regarding her that i've done is Bret's book and while she does come accross as unreasonable in certain instances in the book, i wouldn't go as far as to wish she was dead so Owen could enter a biased Hall of Fame.

I never said I wished the woman was dead. I said Owen won't get into the hall of fame until she is dead. I'd never wish death upon anyone,especially to get into a wrestling hall of fame.

The woman disgusts me because, while I can understand her having a problem with Vince and pro wrestling, not allowing Owens name to stay in the sport he loved is disrespectfull to him and his family. Before Owen even married the woman she was vocal about her dislike for wrestling, even though it was what Owen lived for. Not only this, but she claims that she is bring the WWE to court because they are making their kids feel bad about their dad passing on and remember painfull events. In particular she pointed out the Hart and Soul DVD.

The DVD doesn't focus on Owens death, but how gifted he is in the ring and how he got along with everyone. Surely that something she would love for her kids to remember their father by. She is bringing up the death within the media, and surely her kids will hear about it in a newspaper before seeing a wrestling DVD. It's very hypocritical of her. And then to look for MORE money from Vince over this? Yes she deserved a pay-off after Owens death, but she got that. There is no reason for her to look for such a large amount of cash for such a foolish reason.

Once again, sorry if it made it seemed like I was wishing death on the woman (Not my point at all), I was just saying the truth; Owen won't get in until she is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Isnt it also about time HBK got in there I assume HHH would be the one to induct him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Isnt it also about time HBK got in there I assume HHH would be the one to induct him

Think they are planning a blockbuster HOF for 30 and they are holding off on Shawn for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I never said I wished the woman was dead. I said Owen won't get into the hall of fame until she is dead. I'd never wish death upon anyone,especially to get into a wrestling hall of fame.

The woman disgusts me because, while I can understand her having a problem with Vince and pro wrestling, not allowing Owens name to stay in the sport he loved is disrespectfull to him and his family. Before Owen even married the woman she was vocal about her dislike for wrestling, even though it was what Owen lived for. Not only this, but she claims that she is bring the WWE to court because they are making their kids feel bad about their dad passing on and remember painfull events. In particular she pointed out the Hart and Soul DVD.

The DVD doesn't focus on Owens death, but how gifted he is in the ring and how he got along with everyone. Surely that something she would love for her kids to remember their father by. She is bringing up the death within the media, and surely her kids will hear about it in a newspaper before seeing a wrestling DVD. It's very hypocritical of her. And then to look for MORE money from Vince over this? Yes she deserved a pay-off after Owens death, but she got that. There is no reason for her to look for such a large amount of cash for such a foolish reason.

Once again, sorry if it made it seemed like I was wishing death on the woman (Not my point at all), I was just saying the truth; Owen won't get in until she is dead.

Owen Hart never loved pro-wrestling, he was just very good at it. All Owen wanted to do is make money and get away from it all, and I dont blame him.

Its well known that he wanted to become a fireman and stay at home with his children.

Dancor wrote: »
    Owen Hart never loved pro-wrestling, he was just very good at it. All Owen wanted to do is make money and get away from it all, and I dont blame him.

Its well known that he wanted to become a fireman and stay at home with his children.

I honestly haven't heard that before. Why did he get into the wrestling business in the first place then, was it to please Stu? If it was to just earn more money, he's no different from Kevin Nash and i've lost a bit of respect for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I honestly haven't heard that before. Why did he get into the wrestling business in the first place then, was it to please Stu? If it was to just earn more money, he's no different from Kevin Nash and i've lost a bit of respect for him.

Im pretty sure Bret comments on it in his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

he was on the verge of quitting the sport in 1993 - and applied for a Calgary fire dept. post, but Bret persuaded him to stay on - so that they would be put in an angle together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wouldn't agree with tbc's views on Martha Hart at all. She disgusts you? Her brother-in-law was messed about by the company which hurt not only Bret but Owen too who wanted to leave and go to WCW with him. The WWE tried to sweeten Owen up by promising him a big push and a main event spot with Michaels which never materialised in the long-term. Instead they saddled him with the Blue Blazer gimmick because Owen, as a respectful family man, didn't want to do a sexual angle with Debra which Russo wanted him to do. That's how he ended up in the ceiling doing that silly stunt which he didn't want to be involved with. You blame Martha for being hostile towards the company? They treated her and her family like dirt as far as I can see.

Have a listen to Jim Cornette's comments on it. Cornette has his own issues with Russo so you have to take that into account but at least he presents the background to Owen's situation at the time:

Returning to the Hall of Fame, out of the names in Liz's post I would say Sting and the Horsemen are locks to go in but I'm not sure about the others really. I know Simmons was the first black heavyweight champ and Luger and Goldberg had good runs, but are they really Hall of Fame-worthy wrestlers? I'd have doubts about Owen too. I recall Lance Storm making that point before. I suppose the WWE Hall of Fame has so many in there that shouldn't be there that it's silly to critique it too much but it seems like it's increasingly the case that those with a big profile are getting in because they are more marketable. Lou Thesz should have been put in years ago but he lacks the notoriety that a guy like Goldberg has for the modern era. It's a bit of a joke really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Why just because he wanted to make money instead of going into the business because it was his passion? Whatever reason he went into the business for, should not be reason to lose respect for him. Just respect him for what he did in the ring and what he was like as a performer because that's what people remember him for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Owen wanted to be a fireman, but failed the test a few times. Wrestling was something he kinda fell into, but he was always looking for the out. Pretty sure in Brets book he said that that day was soon approaching as well. Possible because of the direction the company was going ie Attitude Era.

The WWE hall of fame is not a hall of fame in any sense of achievement or anything. FFS Pete Rose is an inductee. As is the host of the Price Is Right or soemthing. Means precisely nothing. Its just another way to squeeze more money out of dedicated fans. I would not worry if Owen never gets in. It does not tarnish his legacy in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

gimmick wrote: »
    The WWE hall of fame is not a hall of fame in any sense of achievement or anything. FFS Pete Rose is an inductee. As is the host of the Price Is Right or soemthing. Means precisely nothing. Its just another way to squeeze more money out of dedicated fans. I would not worry if Owen never gets in. It does not tarnish his legacy in any way.

In theory I know I should agree with you there, yeah it's an obvious way of squeezing money out of fans. However, I think it 's nice to see WWE recognise people that have had an impact on the promotion and the company.

Pete Rose and Bob Uecker being in there makes sense to me, as they were both part of classic wrestlemania moments. In fact Andre The Giant choking Bob Uecker is one of my favourite moments from WWE.

I would hope Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather would be future inductees to the celebrity wing.

I know Koko B. Ware would be another bone of contention for some, but for me he is representative of WWE at the time, and was hugely popular with the kidz of the day (myself included). And James Dudley too, who is often denigrated as just being McMahon Sr's Limo driver, but actually performed a number of roles within the orgainisation, and was the first African American to manage a major stadium. Would be good to see more people inducted for the contributions behind the scenes.

People I would hope to see inducted are Ron Simmons and JBL (individually, Simmons as being the first major African American World Champion, and JBL for his great run as heel WWE champion), the Freebirds, Davey Boy Smith (assuming there'd be a problem inducting Dynamite Kid), Bob Backlund, Goldust, Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty, Trish Stratus, and Chyna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Considering they induct celebrities, I never understood why both Cyndi lauper and Mr T didn't get in before Rose and Uecker. Both were an integral part in Wrestlemania catching on initially!

Have there been any disputes involving either or both with Vince?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

chyna, trish, lita, ivory and molly holly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

Its very different to Kevin Nash. I too hate sports people that are all about the money and nothing else. When players in sport move teams and its all about money and nothing else then it shows a lack of motivation or drive for success. But normally these players or sportsmen are also the same ones that want to be the centre of attention the whole time and flash their money around.

Owen wasn't like this. He didn't have the same love for the business that others had, thats well documented. But he wanted to earn as much money and leave the business for all the right reasons. He wasn't flashy or a showoff. He just wanted to earn enough money and look after his family. In a business that includes so many untrustworthy deceitful people it says a lot about Owen when you never hear any bad stories about the man. Anything I ever read about Owen always painted a very good picture of the man. And in the wrestling business that says a lot.

Source
    To go along with a planned WCW tie-in at WrestleMania 27, it looks like Lex Luger, Arn Anderson and Ron Simmons will be going into the Hall of Fame.

• Advertisement

Heh, still missing a big name. I wonder if Goldberg's still holding out. If Taker will be healthy, i'd offer sting a lot of cash and a no-compete until after B4G to work a match with taker and get in the HoF while he's at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Heh, still missing a big name. I wonder if Goldberg's still holding out. If Taker will be healthy, i'd offer sting a lot of cash and a no-compete until after B4G to work a match with taker and get in the HoF while he's at it.

I'd be surprised if HBK didn't go in this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I reckon they'll save HBK for WM XXX (PG)

I reckon they'll save HBK for WM XXX (PG)

Bang. Done!

They usually make sure wrestlers are gone for at least a few years before bringing them back. Like seeing Shawn in a few months won't mean half as much as if we don't see him for a few years and then he comes back.

Like Austin retired from in-ring wrestling in 2003 and was inducted in 2009. Hart finished up in WCW in 2000 and was inducted in 2006 etc etc (obviously discounting his 2010 "run".

Yeah someone big for WM XXX, so either maybe Shawn or Rock.

I'd be surprised if HBK didn't go in this year.

Spot on HBK is going in this year I assume it will be HHH doing the honors for him :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Spot on HBK is going in this year I assume it will be HHH doing the honors for him :cool:

HHH or Bret! I remember Bret saying a while back he would be happy to induct Shawn!

But id say you are right, more than likely it will be HHH!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

many will say its a bit early for HBK considering itl only be a year since he retired but im kinda happy to see it because in my mind it means that HBK def sees this as a proper liong term retirement as I doubt they would want to induct him if he was likely to return in a year or so (though of course you never know in wrestling). Micheals has already had his comeback after an extended leave of absence when he was out injured so maybe he will be able to deal with being away from the ring and the limelight a bit better than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

would still love to see him hang around as a mouthpiece, maybe be the GM or something.......theres not many who can hold a crowd like him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Would have been nice to see the Nature Boy induct him but I'm guessing that's impossible. I agree it will most likely be HHH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It'll almost certainly be HHH who inducts him.

Wonder will Jannetty, Nash, Hall and X-Pac be at the ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

X-pac tweeted something along the lines of if he had to walk to the hall of fame ceremony he would. And he reckons the clique haven't all been together since 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 riddler95

would still love to see him hang around as a mouthpiece, maybe be the GM or something.......theres not many who can hold a crowd like him!

Thats whats needed, the mans entertainment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bledmillennium

cian68 wrote: »
    X-pac tweeted something along the lines of if he had to walk to the hall of fame ceremony he would. And he reckons the clique haven't all been together since 2002

That would be nostalgic at worst. Actually, remove X-Pac and it wold automatically become awesome!

X-Pac heat = EPIC WIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

i dont think there is any doubt that HHH will induct him, but for nostalgia sake they should have the clique on stage with HHH, or even better, maybe when HBK is talking, the clique start walking through the crowd to the stage, followed by a scott hall HEY YO!!! :D (that wont happen, i know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

think i read somewhere, could be on the wrestleworld website that hall nash and waltman said they will be at the hall of fame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

They should make an effort to bring in Jannetty, Chyna and Diesel, all three had pretty significant on-screen roles during Michaels character.

Razor Ramon of course had that famous WM ladder match with Michaels, but that won't be enough for WWE to try and lure him in. Unless he is there as Michaels personal guest.

As far as X-Pac, Road Dogg, and Billy Gunn, I won't hold my breath. WWE seem to prefer the post 2006 PG version of DX.

HHH probably will induct him, which would make him the record holder with most inductees, having already inducted Killer Kowalski, Billy Graham, and Ric Flair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I read that the Road Warriors are to be inducted this year too.

Long overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That'll be some session.:pac:

Wrestling Observer reports (via Wrestlezone);
    The Wrestling Observer is reporting that The Road Warriors, Hawk and Animal, as well as Abdullah The Butcher, are considered near locks as 2011 WWE Hall of Fame inductees. While Abdullah The Butcher never actually worked for WWE, he is considered a legend in the business, and reportedly owns a restaurant in the Atlanta area.

It was announced on Raw that Hacksaw Jim Duggan will be the second name officially inducted into the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame. He will be inducted by The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase.

• Advertisement

Jannetty should be inducted along with him. The Rockers were a defining tag team for that era.

You'd imagine Hall and X-Pac would be hoping a good fan reaction from them being around would turn into some kind of contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Source:

To follow up on WWE hall of Fame spoilers, we previously noted that The Road Warriors and Abdullah The Butcher are expected to be inducted this year in Atlanta, GA. Add the names Tammy Sytch ("Sunny") and "Bullet" Bob Armstrong to the class of 2011, according to Dave Meltzer. This explains the return of Bob's son Scott Armstrong as a referee.

It was announced on Raw that Hacksaw Jim Duggan will be the second name officially inducted into the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame. He will be inducted by The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase.

If anyone wants to watch a match from the legendary career of Jim Duggan, may I reccommend his match at WCW Uncensored 1995 Vs. Meng in a Martial Arts match.

That's recommend as in I recommend that you never ever watch this match!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I'd like if they got BG in to induct Bullet Bob.

Following Raw, WWE.com announced that "Bullet" Bob Armstrong will be inducted into the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame. Armstrong joins Shawn Michaels and "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan as inductee names revealed so far.

Following Raw, WWE.com announced that "Bullet" Bob Armstrong will be inducted into the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame.

Any word of who will induct him? Probably his sons.

So we could have Road Dogg Jesse James making two inductions this year. One for his father, and two if the original DX induct Shawn Michaels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd like to see Steve Lombardi (aka The Brooklyn Brawler) get inducted

Of course we'd all like to see James Hellwig (The Ultimate Warrior) getting inducted, but I can't see that happen any time soon

I'd like to see Steve Lombardi (aka The Brooklyn Brawler) get inducted

I agree, I think it's important to acknowledge the importance jobbers (enhancement talent) played in wrestling in the 80's and 90's. Just because a wrestler didn't reach a certain level of popularity or win world championships doesn't mean he didn't make an important contribution. Also I know he does a lot of work backstage, no doubt he has brought a lot to WWE that we don't know about.

I agree, I think it's important to acknowledge the importance jobbers (enhancement talent) played in wrestling in the 80's and 90's. Just because a wrestler didn't reach a certain level of popularity or win world championships doesn't mean he didn't make an important contribution. Also I know he does a lot of work backstage, no doubt he has brought a lot to WWE that we don't know about.

Plus isnt he 1-0 over Triple H :)

http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/17882
    Sources report that WWE will announce Sunny as the next member of the 2011 Hall of Fame on next week's RAW from Texas, the same RAW that Steve Austin will be returning on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement