Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom zones

Options
  • 18-10-2010 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

regarding gu-10 spots fan heaters/outlet plates and shaverlites in bathrooms

can someone tell me the permissible zones for these

want to make sure i'm right on it

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The diagrams in the back of the regs are pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes -i've looked at them

but i'm a bit thick

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

regarding gu-10 spots fan heaters/outlet plates and shaverlites in bathrooms
    Sorry, I don't know off the top of my head.

But why use GU0 at all?
    Downlighters with 12 volt lamps would be much better. They are much safer, provide far more lumens/watt, last longer and the light quality is far superior. In addition zoning becomes less of an issue due to the fact that they are ELV.

i'm a gu-10 led man

less heat
    less energy usage
    less maintenance
    easier to maintain

i fit loads-almost equivalent light output to halogen now

halogen and trafos are relics of the past:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

i'm a gu-10 led man
    Everyone the their own. My main reason for suggesting 12 volt lights was that you can safley fit them almost anywhere.
    less maintenance
    easier to maintain
    I have I stalled 1000s of 12 volt lights with quality transformers (IBL). So far maintenance has been almost zero. Lamp live averages > 7 years. The only faults have been a few lamp holders have failed.

When LED and other energy efficient types of lamps improve light quality I am sure I will change too to GU10. Until then I will only use energy efficient types in less important areas.

• Advertisement

they have improved -i can't tell much difference between halogen gu-10 and led

12v will be brighter

gu-1o is a safer bet for domestic work as customer can have their choice of 3 lamp types

Yes, everyone tells me they have improved (I don't doubt you). I just have not seen this yet.

I don't know what you mean by safer. I think that properly installed 12 volt lights are safer as the voltage is not at a lethal level. The largest risk is from burns from the lamp itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, everyone tells me they have improved (I don't doubt you). I just have not seen this yet.

I don't know what you mean by safer. I think that properly installed 12 volt lights are safer as the voltage is not at a lethal level. The largest risk is from burns from the lamp itself.

Im the same, have not seen led`s in a while now, but they obviously are getting better as im hearing it as well,

The 230v lights while the voltage is much higher, the risk of shock from them is very small really is`t it, not much different to a pendent or ceiling rose, no traffo`s to worry about either. The heat is a factor though, not just for getting burns, wiring in the ceiling/floor space can get burnt, or anything else that might be there.

Everyone the their own. My main reason for suggesting 12 volt lights was that you can safley fit them almost anywhere.

Cant argue with 12v in that respect

I have I stalled 1000s of 12 volt lights with quality transformers (IBL). So far maintenance has been almost zero. Lamp live averages > 7 years. The only faults have been a few lamp holders have failed.

Traffo`s must be good so, i cant say i have installed thousands, but if you have then them traffos seem to be doing the job.

i said safer bet-not safer

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »

Class haha:D

Oops!!!:D:D

My bad.

Oops!!!:D:D

My bad.

I think he does the wording to catch us out:)

Traffo`s must be good so, i cant say i have installed thousands, but if you have then them traffos seem to be doing the job.

Yes, I used 60VA transformers made by "IBL". They are electronic, dimmable with a 3 year warranty. As you can imagine they cost a little more too.

Thousands clock up quite quickly! I have installed over 100 in some are houses.
    I think it was a real 90s thing to have lines and lines of downlighters in rooms!

IMHO good quality "smooth out" the spikes and dips in the supply voltage and this extends lamp life. I also frequently installed MK push on/ push off dimmers that "soft start" the lights. I think this more gentle approach also extends lamp life.

I also frequently installed MK push on/ push off dimmers that "soft start" the lights. I think this more gentle approach also extends lamp life.

Yes and looks good as well.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes and looks good as well.
    Yes, a pity they are sooo expensive.

Advertisement