Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody data roaming charges

Options
  • 18-10-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I was in malta for a week there and I used my Iphone to check football scores and horse races a few times and now I am getting charged 110 euro when I taught I had free data.
    Is there anything I can do or will I just have to pay the lot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why did you think you had free roaming data?

Unfortunately youve used it so you will have to pay.

In future switch off roaming data and only use the Wifi Option.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

listermint wrote: »
    Why did you think you had free roaming data?

Unfortunately youve used it so you will have to pay.

In future switch off roaming data and only use the Wifi Option.

Stupid I know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

What network are you on?

Since July 1st operators now have to cap your roaming data at €50 ex VAT or €60.50 Inl Vat.

Give them a call, they should reduce this for you.

What network are you on?

Since July 1st operators now have to cap your roaming data at €50 ex VAT or €60.50 Inl Vat.

I did they have split it in 2 ie. the first 50 was from one bill and the second 60 was from the next bill month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

What network are you on?

Good thinking Max!

I completely had forgot about this! Wonder what network it was? I know one particular network who constanty 'forget' little things when it comes to credits etc!

• Advertisement

Gucky wrote: »
    Good thinking Max!

I completely had forgot about this! Wonder what network it was? I know one particular network who constanty 'forget' little things when it comes to credits etc!

O2 is my provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

now there's a surprise..

funnyclub wrote: »
    O2 is my provider.

Surprise Sur-Feckin-Prise!

Accidentally overcharged me, 'forgot' to issue credit dont know how many times!

They really have become the laughing stock of the providers now, perhaps their is so many folk taking their business elsewhere this is what they have resorted to, sneaky charges here and there!

Call them up, threaten with Comreg!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

I did they have split it in 2 ie. the first 50 was from one bill and the second 60 was from the next bill month.

Thats a bit sneaky, they shouldnt be reducing it by billing period, they should be reducing all Roaming Data Charges so that ALL you pay is €60.

Gucky wrote: »
    Surprise Sur-Feckin-Prise!

Accidentally overcharged me, 'forgot' to issue credit dont know how many times!

They really have become the laughing stock of the providers now, perhaps their is so many folk taking their business elsewhere this is what they have resorted to, sneaky charges here and there!

Call them up, threaten with Comreg!

Sorry for my ignorance but whats comreg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Thats a bit sneaky, they shouldnt be reducing it by billing period, they should be reducing all Roaming Data Charges so that ALL you pay is €60.

Yup. All mobile operators have to limit data roaming charges to €50. At that point, they have to stop allowing you access to data and you ave to request an increase in the cap, AFAIK by calling them.

So, O2 Ireland did not stop yoru data being charged over the €50 limit. You should not have been allowed to go to €110 in a single monthly period for data roaming unless you agreed to it.

n900guy wrote: »
    Yup. All mobile operators have to limit data roaming charges to €50. At that point, they have to stop allowing you access to data and you ave to request an increase in the cap, AFAIK by calling them.

So, O2 Ireland did not stop yoru data being charged over the €50 limit. You should not have been allowed to go to €110 in a single monthly period for data roaming unless you agreed to it.

My monthly bills are from the 8th of the month, I went to malta on the 7th of October so for that day and the 8th I was charged 50 euro so my bill is going to be 120 euro and unbilled for next month bill is 53.49 so my bill in November will be approx the same price. I am strongly thinking of cancelling my direct debit and changing to Vodaphone for a HTC desire and paying the O2 bills off as I have it what ya reckon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I reckon your going from Bad to worse

I reckon your going from Bad to worse

Lol who do you recommend then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Funnyclub, why not send me a PM with your mobile number and I can double check your account for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hey guys I was in malta for a week there and I used my Iphone to check football scores and horse races a few times and now I am getting charged 110 euro when I taught I had free data.
    Is there anything I can do or will I just have to pay the lot?

I'm on vodafone and I incur no roaming charges when abroad. As long as I use the vodafone network, on the iphone plan. This, Vodafone assure me, is likely to remain for potentially some time, but again, only applicable to Iphone. Very handy though to browse safe in the knowledge that you will not be landed with a hefty bill when you come home as long as you stay inside your data limit ( 1gb in my case ) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

dodzy wrote: »
    I'm on vodafone and I incur no roaming charges when abroad. As long as I use the vodafone network, on the iphone plan. This, Vodafone assure me, is likely to remain for potentially some time, but again, only applicable to Iphone. Very handy though to browse safe in the knowledge that you will not be landed with a hefty bill when you come home as long as you stay inside your data limit ( 1gb in my case ) ;)

I can assure you it is not applicable only to the iPhone. It is applicable to the Vodafone Live! APN. If you use that, you will not be charged abroad, no matter what phone you use.

blaz wrote: »
    I can assure you it is not applicable only to the iPhone. It is applicable to the Vodafone Live! APN. If you use that, you will not be charged abroad, no matter what phone you use.

Also applicable to three, via their three like home plan, so long as you are using a three network in any country in the world that has one, no charge!

good ole O2 don't offer anything like this at all! Just one of many reasons I'm glad I left them!

blaz wrote: »

Correct, as long as you have a Voda Live add on. If you do not, you pay 99c per day for your usage, 1 min - 24hrs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

thread moved to consumer issues, i think it's more at home there.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

When I go to another EU country I always buy a local sim card for internet use. End up paying 15/20 eur.
    Why pay Irish networks 60eur for 5.86 to 12 megabytes of data?
    Because that's the advertised price of either Vodafone, O2 or Meteor/Emobile.

The Irish networks currently have to pay a maximum of 80 cent per megabyte to the local provider. Clearly they are making a profit off unsuspecting customers and yet they claim to be up front to Irish consumers.

Check out this thread over on the Emobile site, my responses are from the username Jeansibelius. Steve who works for Emobile appears to be ignoring me now...

http://letstalk.emobile.ie/Forums/Thread.aspx?id=990&last=true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

My monthly bills are from the 8th of the month, I went to malta on the 7th of October so for that day and the 8th I was charged 50 euro so my bill is going to be 120 euro and unbilled for next month bill is 53.49 so my bill in November will be approx the same price. I am strongly thinking of cancelling my direct debit and changing to Vodaphone for a HTC desire and paying the O2 bills off as I have it what ya reckon ?
    If you want to move you have to make it the proper way by cancelling your contract, 30 day notice etc.; if not they will simply chase you up for the remainder of the cost any way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

I went away to Auz for a bit and when i was checking mail after landing i got a message on screen saying something like data roaming turned off, go to settings - network - to turn on data roaming. Then when i did that, i got a further message to say that this would incurr extra charges. I thought this would have been for everyone as my friend who was with me also had this, both using iphones

Queerdub wrote: »
    When I go to another EU country I always buy a local sim card for internet use. End up paying 15/20 eur.
    Why pay Irish networks 60eur for 5.86 to 12 megabytes of data?
    Because that's the advertised price of either Vodafone, O2 or Meteor/Emobile.

The Irish networks currently have to pay a maximum of 80 cent per megabyte to the local provider. Clearly they are making a profit off unsuspecting customers and yet they claim to be up front to Irish consumers.

Check out this thread over on the Emobile site, my responses are from the username Jeansibelius. Steve who works for Emobile appears to be ignoring me now...

http://letstalk.emobile.ie/Forums/Thread.aspx?id=990&last=true
    this does not apply if you have a data add on as part of your bundle.

this does not apply if you have a data add on as part of your bundle.

Data add-ons are usually for within the Republic of Ireland. Some networks may cover the roaming aspect with this but from perusing the websites the networks appear to charge what I said so your one liner doesn't alter that.

Queerdub wrote: »
    Data add-ons are usually for within the Republic of Ireland. Some networks may cover the roaming aspect with this but from perusing the websites the networks appear to charge what I said so your one liner doesn't alter that.
    I dont mean to be disagreeable but your facts are incorrect. I'm with Vodafone, and the roaming extends outside ireland. FACT. I can assure you that I can roam while outside ireland and not be charged any extra as long as I stay inside my limit.

As previously stated, 3 also provide this service.

But you are free to call them to confirm, of course.

I dont mean to be disagreeable but your facts are incorrect. I'm with Vodafone, and the roaming extends outside ireland. FACT. I can assure you that I can roam while outside ireland and not be charged any extra as long as I stay inside my limit.

As previously stated, 3 also provide this service.

But you are free to call them to confirm, of course.

I'm not disputing what you're saying. I have a friend who says he has data roaming as well and he is with Vodafone. But public information on a website is preferable to word of mouth.

Can you supply us with some links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

http://www.vodafone.ie/vlive/internetmobile/faq
    How much does it cost to use mobile internet abroad?

Vodafone Mobile Internet is the same price when roaming abroad as at home. The service will be accessible from any country where we have a 3G or GPRS roaming agreement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement