Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have any females in Ireland not had a baby in the past 2 years?

• 18-10-2010 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I'm so sick of the constant notifications in work about such and such having a baby, its every fcuking day, will it ever end? I reckon the government has been sending out subliminal messages to the public to reproduce, its a pretty good way to get people spending money again. I mean, why else would everyone decide to have a baby at the same time, theres no other rational explanation (well ok there probably is but I prefer my explanation). Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I haven't, thank f*ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I havent had one nor do i want one. Like my freedom too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yeah for a while in here I thought it was the Rotunda rather than a place of work, it's the recesssion, no money to go down the pub so settle for a good ould ride :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

As far as i know, i haven't.

I have noticed before though, that once you hear about one person pregnant or after having a baby, you hear of loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I'm a female who hasn't had a baby in the last two years.:p I am 25 though, not really into that yet. Can I ask why it bothers you? Does it inconvenience you in some way e.g. having to cover for maternity leave or are you just sick of having the same baby-related conversation with all your friends/colleagues? PS - like your theory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Some of the women at work are full time having babies. They should give their wombs are rest. Its not right to be popping out so many sprogs. :eek:

alwaysadub wrote: »
    As far as i know, i haven't.

I have noticed before though, that once you hear about one person pregnant or after having a baby, you hear of loads.

You'd make me break my "no baby" rule ;)

To be honest the baby talk in work does do me head in, kids are like farts, you can only stand your own, I don't give a shiite about your kids so leave it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I'm so sick of the constant notifications in work about such and such having a baby, its every fcuking day, will it ever end?
    I don't think people will ever stop reprodcing, no.
    I reckon the government has been sending out subliminal messages to the public to reproduce, its a pretty good way to get people spending money again.
    I don't think the government need to subtly coerce people into reproducing, given that the desire to pass on one's genes is the basic driving force behind every human's existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

In my work place, with around 60 staff, 5 are currently preggers.

I went to my GP this morning and the waiting room was full of women either preggers or with a sprog in their arms.

All these women will replace the population that are currently leaving the country.

If there is ever a nuclear war we are safe in the knowledge that the population will be back in no time thanks to our women troopers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Kiera wrote: »
    You'd make me break my "no baby" rule ;)

Yay!
    Got a turkey baster handy? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

In my last job a lot of women went on maternity leave in the past 2 years. But I dont understand this 'recession baby' boom
    Why would it be a good idea to have a baby in a recession , do they know how much babies cost ?

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Yay!
    Got a turkey baster handy? :D

Oh yeah. A big one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am guilty as charged, had a son just over 6.5 months ago and am over 6 weeks pregnant with my last child. I could not have them younger and do not want to leave it much later as I would be worried of the risks to the baby, am 36 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It would appear there is baby boom on: from what I see anyway.

I enjoy baby-waby talk about as much as parent-bashing: as in, not very much.

Kiera wrote: »
    Oh yeah. A big one ;)

Got a web cam :p
    Even pics will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

I'm a female who hasn't had a baby in the last two years.:p I am 25 though, not really into that yet. Can I ask why it bothers you? Does it inconvenience you in some way e.g. having to cover for maternity leave or are you just sick of having the same baby-related conversation with all your friends/colleagues? PS - like your theory.

I'm just bored of seeing the congratulatory messages and mum and baby doing well blah blah blah and then having to look interested when the mum brings the baby into work, but I do think the baby boom is a good thing on the whole given the state of the economy and the pension timebomb that may occur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Nope not in the past two years and not for another 5+ years, I wouldn't want to leave it to late though with all the risks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Are all these women under 30?
    Its the people who think that having children is the be all and end all and that the people who have kids deserve more respect (and money) than others that p*** me off!
    What happened to people just liking their life as is, once you have a good job, nice place to live, savings are happy with your lot then whats the problem?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I haven't. :)

• Advertisement

I don't think this country is ready to let me reproduce so I won't be trying to get anyone up the spout anytime soon......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Nope, just the one, 3 years ago now though....I don't get the recession baby boom either! I'd love another, but with money so tight right now supporting one is hard enough.

Redundancy + a 1yr old don't mix very well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Nope, and none on the way either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Can I ask why it bothers you? Does it inconvenience you in some way e.g. having to cover for maternity leave
    Whatever way you look at it, it is an inconvenience, albeit a necessary one. And though it's often anathema to say so, it means that as things stand women are always going to be somewhat less employable than men.

They say we'll know sexism is truly dead when, on average, women receive the same level of pay as men. This will never happen until:

a)Proper paternity leave is introduced, or

B)Men develop, or are given, the ability to have babies :p
    I'm just bored of seeing the congratulatory messages and mum and baby doing well blah blah blah and then having to look interested when the mum brings the baby into work
    It's a bit tedious, isn't it?

I'm a fair-minded bloke though, so if you just try to transpose men's interest in football with women's interest in each other's babies (please excuse the gross generalisation), you can get a better understanding of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Do they give no thought to their carbon footprint??? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I don't have the time, patience or funds to keep a baby! I'm way too young to have one anyway. Maybe when I'm around 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Have to agree, in work it's every second week with such and such is pregnant, such and such just had a baby blah blah blah....sorry but it gets ****ing boring. Luckily none of my immediate friends have been knocked up in the last two years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Nope not in the past two years and not for another 5+ years, I wouldn't want to leave it to late though with all the risks now.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    Nope, and none on the way either.
    I don't have the time, patience or funds to keep a baby! I'm way too young to have one anyway. Maybe when I'm around 30.

+1 on all of the above for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

They're recession babies. I can guarantee a good number of anyone born in the 80s are the same. :) People can't afford to go out, so they stay in and have more sex. There are statistics somewhere about this but meh, can't be arsed!

Then there are those who are out of jobs who think, "feck it. Might as well do it now." Can't understand that reasoning for the life of me.

But yes, there are women who have not had babies!

• Advertisement

I hate the way people are always fawning on women who are pregnant or have a baby "oh, isnt it a miracle"
    No its not a miracle actually, its fairly simple biology, your not special at all

I hate the way people are always fawning on women who are pregnant or have a baby "oh, isnt it a miracle"
    No its not a miracle actually, its fairly simple biology, your not special at all

It's only a miracle when the two people in question are as thick as bottled shiite and you wonder how they even figured out how to get it on!

Millicent wrote: »
    Then there are those who are out of jobs who think, "feck it. Might as well do it now." Can't understand that reasoning for the life of me. !

Possibly that the last baby boom was during the last major recession in Ireland and, as far as can be ascertained, the majority of babies born back then don't appear to have died of starvation, exposure or other factors. Not even the ones born into poor families like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

It's because the pope was round these parts again. Or, since we're all atheists now, because Richard Dawkins was on the Late Late show a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

It's our patriotic duty to reproduce as many babys as possible to create a workforce to pay off NAMA over the next 40 years or so..........

stovelid wrote: »
    Possibly that the last baby boom was during the last major recession in Ireland and, as far as can be ascertained, the majority of babies born back then don't appear to have died of starvation, exposure or other factors. Not even the ones born into poor families like me?

Hey, I was born into a dually unemployed family in the height of the last recession in the 80s and I'm fairly well fed. :pac:

I wasn't criticising. Just wondering why people would elect for the additional stress if they've lost their jobs and money is tight. It wouldn't be for me, was all I was saying. Not saying people have to be loaded to have a kid, just that *I* wouldn't like to do it without a financial cushion. Different horses, etc.

• Advertisement

Its not the first thing you would think of
    "oh ****, recession.... better get pregnant"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

The trick is to have loads of kids, at least 6 or 7, and you'll make a fortune on the social welfare/childrens allowance and you'll even get a house too.

Hey, I was born into a dually unemployed family in the height of the last recession in the 80s and I'm fairly well fed. :pac:

I wasn't criticising. Just wondering why people would elect for the additional stress if they've lost their jobs and money is tight. It wouldn't be for me, was all I was saying. Not saying people have to be loaded to have a kid, just that *I* wouldn't like to do it without a financial cushion. Different horses, etc.

I'm no statistician (so this is just conjecture) but I would assume that it possibly to do with the products of the last baby boom approaching the age where they have to decide whether or not to have kids. Maybe it's just those born in the early 80s hitting their 30s and the economic environment is a smaller contributing factor.

I assume if people reach an age where they have to go for it, they'll be forced to do it so even if their financial circumstances aren't what they hoped for...

Probably all shite.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

I've never had one and don't plan to for at least another ten years. There's too much to do - career, travel etc. Plenty of time for all that starting a family lark. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In fairness its common sense why its happening.

We had a baby boom between 1970-1979.
    Ten years ago the pubs did well as this baby boom were are all out drinking and pubs raked it in.
    Last few years this baby boom started to settle down, buy houses which caused the property boom and get married that caused the wedding boom.
    Now we are all settled, we are having babies causing a baby boom.

So in 20 years time pubs will rake it.
    25 years time property boom and so on :)

• Advertisement

Its not the first thing you would think of
    "oh ****, recession.... better get pregnant"

Exactly! I was talking to someone who was telling me a lot of her friends were "accidentally" getting pregnant recently, without discussing it with the working partner. These girls are quite well to do and, apparently, (according to this friend anyway), they think they might as well ride out the recession and get that box ticked off, then return to work once the market picks up.

That was more the reasoning I was thinking of, not two people sitting down and discussing the pros and cons, even though one is unemployed.

I'm no statistician (so this is just conjecture) but I would assume that it possibly to do with the products of the last baby boom approaching the age where they have to decide whether or not to have kids. I assume if people reach an age where they have to go for it, they'll be forced to do it so even if their financial circumstances aren't what they hoped for...

I get that completely. :) I'm on the fence really. I understand why some do it but not the others who are cynically doing it "to get it out of the way now, while I've time." Just seems a bit cold or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Have to agree, in work it's every second week with such and such is pregnant, such and such just had a baby blah blah blah....sorry but it gets ****ing boring. Luckily none of my immediate friends have been knocked up in the last two years!

I'm not sure people are having babies to add excitement to your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Exactly! I was talking to someone who was telling me a lot of her friends were "accidentally" getting pregnant recently, without discussing it with the working partner. These girls are quite well to do and, apparently, (according to this friend anyway), they think they might as well ride out the recession and get that box ticked off, then return to work once the market picks up.

That was more the reasoning I was thinking of, not two people sitting down and discussing the pros and cons, even though one is unemployed.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Jaysus, has Pat Mustard been paroled or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm no statistician (so this is just conjecture) but I would assume that it possibly to do with the products of the last baby boom approaching the age where they have to decide whether or not to have kids. Maybe it's just those born in the early 80s hitting their 30s and the economic environment is a smaller contributing factor.

I assume if people reach an age where they have to go for it, they'll be forced to do it so even if their financial circumstances aren't what they hoped for...

Probably all shite.... :pac:

OPs question answered.

It's just a bubble moving through the pipe e.g. points for CAO, house prices, and now this.

What do people buy in their 40s? I need a get-rich-quick scheme.

:eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

topper75 wrote: »

What do people buy in their 40s? I need a get-rich-quick scheme.

Sports cars or boats :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

No I haven't had a baby in the last two years. Or ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I havent!!! Not for another 4+ years anyway. Im far too selfish. But I agree. Honestly Ive seen it, and heard it from women I work with, theyre on maternity leave earning more than me after tax. By the time I'm ready to start a family I'm pretty sure maternity leave will be shortened dramatically because of the recent "baby boom". In the public sector its unreal how many women are pregnant then because of the embargo, maternity leaves arent being covered, bit of a nightmare to work with tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement