Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does your dog do all day?

Options
  • 18-10-2010 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Just wondering if i am doing things right:p

I feel like i should be doing more so i just wanted to run a typical day past ye and maybe get some feedback

Frosty is walked twice a say and he has the run of a large garden. I will also go out in the garden with him and play kickabout with a football which he loves

He also has a few toys but rarely plays with them

I feel a bit guilty though because he sometimes looks bored -also because of the way he was raised with previous owners he will rarely come indoors.When he does he will bark a lot and wee everywhere.

He also sleeps outdoors but wont sleep in his kennel unless it rains(previous owners always had him sleep outdoors)

Id much rather he sleep indoors-i feel sorry for him out there but he just doesnt want to stay in:(

is there anything else i could do to stimulate him or am i doing enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I feed him in the morning before I head off to college/work, I walk him at least once a day and I leave him in the back yard when I go so he can use the bathroom and have a run round. He sleeps inside in his dog bed and I bring him in any time it rains.

One thing I was recommended was a food releasing toy which is a toy that releases food over a certain about of time a day, it keeps the dog active. I never took the plunge of getting one though as my dog is only 9 months at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My dogs are total slobs, they get up, sometime after us, have a stretch, go out in the garden(length of time varies on weather, but 2 mins about right), go for a walk, then have breakfast(on days I'm not here its in the form of stuffed kongs) and spend the day snoozing and testing the sofa:D
    Then when I get home its straight out for walkies, or a run at the river, then home for dinner, more sofa testing, lots of hugs, another quick walk and then bed.
    When I'm home its following me around, couple of extra walks, some sofa testing(it appears its most comfy when they're stretched out with legs in the air:p) and some training time.
    It amazes me how lazy they are, I have snuck up to the windows and peeped in, they are panned out!
    And yet we go out for a walk by the river, I let them off the lead and they will run for hours (then go home and sleep all day), if they meet a friend they'll run the poor dog ragged. Its like they have a split personality, I'm not complaining I love the hairy nutters.

Just to add, if the dog is happy, you're doing great. If you want him in more just encourage him and take your time, leave a door open if weather allows and leave treats around for him to find, I have a kong ball that you fill with dry food and the dog has to roll around to get the food out, you could try giving him that in the kitchen or something, so he associates indoors with nice things. He'll become more comfortable over time. How long have you had him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My fella is lucky now because hubby is farming so in and out all day, I take him out for a short walk in the morning (in the dark now :mad:), very short walk now the mornings are dark, he mostly sleeps all day or if hubby is working in the back garden (building a wall) he will be outside with him (unless it's raining), when I get home from work we go for a 4 mile walk then it's home to the sofa for the rest of the evening. At the weekends he gets two good walks plus he comes visiting the relatives with me on Saturday mornings as they love him and give him biscuits, even though he's on a diet.
    ps. I've just realised who you are on another chat forum!!

Advertisement