Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Gamer PC Build

Options
  • 18-10-2010 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey guys. Have been an avid computer user for years now, but this is my first custom build so I could really use your help.

The reason I'm looking for help with building is I get kinda confused with all the different processors, RAM types, whether they are compatible with certain mobo's, etc. I would have posted in the "Budget Gaming PC" thread, but I don't want to clutter it up with lots of questions.

I intend to hold onto my current monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers for now. So it's only case and contents I'm really after. Here are the specs of my current PC according to Speccy, so you can see whether my monitor is worth keeping.
    Operating System
    MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP2
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D 920
    Presler 65nm Technology
    RAM
    4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0FJ030 (Microprocessor)
    Graphics
    DELL E196FP @ 1280x1024
    512MB GeForce 9500 GT (Undefined) 26 °C
    ForceWare version 175.19
    Hard Drives
    156GB Seagate ST3160815AS (SATA) 27 °C
    Optical Drives
    SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615
    SONY CD-RW CRX217E
    Audio
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

It will be used primarily for gaming. I won't be using it for TV or anything like that. I want it to be some way future proof, meaning I won't have to buy lots of new components every year or two. Ideally I'd like it to able to comfortably run new games for the next 3-5 years if possible? With only a few reasonable upgrades needed to keep it ticking over :D

My main focus would be a good processor (I'm thinking quadcore?), 4GB of RAM, but the potential to add more in future and a good graphics card. I'll also need to get an OS, so am looking at Windows 7 64 bit. A reasonable 500GB HD would do me, I don't exactly pack stuff on. I'd also like at least 6 USB ports (which would match the amount I have now) I don't think I'll be burning DVD's, so dunno if I need a DVD burner, well unless it's the standard now. Would it be worth keeping my Sony Optical drives?

My budget would be around €800, with possibly a little wiggle room. I was thinking of ordering off Elara or Komplett, but if you know of any cheaper/better sites outside Ireland then I'm happy.

Any help with the building would much appreciated and sorry if I have mentioned/asked anything stupid.

Comments

Advertisement