Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building New House - what alarm system?

• 18-10-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

I'm building a house that's near 4000 square foot, its three floors and there are about 30 windows and 2 doors and a set of double doors.
    A person I know can install an alarm with auto dialler for 4k. The alarm is also linked to fire alarms etc.

I thought this was expensive. However, is it? I've no details of the spec but its meant to be a very good alarm and he generally fits it to commercial properties.

Looking at prices now I'm starting to think that its not expensive. Are there any companies that supply and install that people would recommend? I've sent my plans onto techstore and Securigard.

Hope people don't mind me mentioning company names!

I just want to get things right as wiring is about to start on the house with first fix electrics starting this week.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Really hard to say without seeing the specs.
    The fact that you are building this from scratch , he is allowing for first fixing & some callouts in between 1st & second fixing.
    For that money I would be looking at SigNET 220 or 300.
    Cable to phone & cat 5 or 6 to network.
    The signet would also give you lots of options to intergrate home automation & access if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

koolkid wrote: »
    Really hard to say without seeing the specs.
    The fact that you are building this from scratch , he is allowing for first fixing & some callouts in between 1st & second fixing.
    For that money I would be looking at SigNET 220 or 300.
    Cable to phone & cat 5 or 6 to network.
    The signet would also give you lots of options to intergrate home automation & access if you wish.

How much would that system normally be?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would really need to see whats being spec'd in the house you planning.
    Wiull there be multiple keypads. How many PiRs , Digi , etc.
    What I am saying is for the money you are saying that the panel I would be expecting .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭altor

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm building a house that's near 4000 square foot, its three floors and there are about 30 windows and 2 doors and a set of double doors.
    A person I know can install an alarm with auto dialler for 4k. The alarm is also linked to fire alarms etc.

I thought this was expensive. However, is it? I've no details of the spec but its meant to be a very good alarm and he generally fits it to commercial properties.

Looking at prices now I'm starting to think that its not expensive. Are there any companies that supply and install that people would recommend? I've sent my plans onto techstore and Securigard.

Hope people don't mind me mentioning company names!

I just want to get things right as wiring is about to start on the house with first fix electrics starting this week.

As koolkid said without seeing the full spec of what he is installing it is very hard to know if you are getting a good deal. You are right to be getting all the advice you can now as covering it all now will save you money down the line.

Advertisement