Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too old to be neutered?

Options
  • 18-10-2010 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just found out my dog is about to become a daddy....! He's started wandering alot more lately then when he was younger, and the neighbours bitch is expecting pups. They're delighted, but I feel bad, should we have gotten him neutered, and is it too late now? He's a 9 year old King Charles Cavaleir...any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I would get your vets advice about this as some Cavs can suffer with heart problems which makes surgery tricky.

However you really should not be allowing your dog to wander. He is your responsibility and god knows there's enough dogs dying in pounds without adding to the problem. That's before you think of the risk he's at of being stolen or getting run over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

NEVER too late to neuter. Because of your pets age, and breed - MVD being the biggest worry, you will need to have a good chat with your vet to make sure he is ok to go under anaesthetic but with a good vet and good anaesthetic (some of the newer ones are brilliant) he should be fine. The boys only take about 15 minutes and it's not a big operation. I have had a Cavalier neutered, male, at about 10 with a grade 5 heart murmur (rescue) and he was peachy. Ask what anaesthetic the vets use, how risky the operation is for your dog, an older dog is always going to be more risky than a younger one, and make sure you are totally happy before you go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

What breed is the mother to be in question. Some cavalier crossbreeds can make delightful pets for first time dog owners. You shuold offer to help with getting good homes and maybe any vet expences that may happen.:):):)
    spudd wrote: »
    Just found out my dog is about to become a daddy....! He's started wandering alot more lately then when he was younger, and the neighbours bitch is expecting pups. They're delighted, but I feel bad, should we have gotten him neutered, and is it too late now? He's a 9 year old King Charles Cavaleir...any advice?

Advertisement