Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Strenght progression log

Options
  • 18-10-2010 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Greetings,

I'm 33yrs, 6' & 87k at the moment.
    My aim is reduce body fat/gain lean muscle and increase what I can lift over time.
    I first went to the gym Wed 13th Oct and tried to gauge what I could lift easily enough(3 sets of 5 reps) and start from there.
    Wed 13 Oct (WXSXR)
    Squats
    20k X 1 X 5
    30k X 1 X 5
    40k X 3 X 5 (set)
    Bench Press
    20k X 1 X 5
    22.5k X 1 X 5
    25k X 3 X 5 (set)
    Deadlift
    50k X 1 X 5 (set)

This was literally the first time I was in the gym on my own so I didn't really know what I was at. I had gone down at about 8pm but the place was mobbed and I couldn't get at the squat rack at all. I ended up wandering around with my hand towel trying not to look too conspicuous!
    After a while I went home and came back at 9pm which was much better, squat rack and benches free...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Squats
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 3 X 1
    40k X 1 X 1
    50k X 5 X 3 (set)

Bench Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    25k X 5 X 1
    30k X 5 X 1
    35k X 5 X 1
    40k X 5 X 3 (set)

Dead Lift
    30k X 5 X 2
    50k X 2 X 1
    70k X 5 X 1 (set)

I felt I was a lot better than my first time on Wednesday on all 3 lifts. I found the squats challenging but I was going right down on every rep.

I surprised myself with the bench press. When I was warming up with just the bar I didn't think I would be able to handle 2 X 10k plates added!
    I think doing proper warmup up sets really make a big difference towards hitting the working set (especially on the Bench Press)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Hey,

Fair play on kicking thing's off. My advice however would be to slow down on your progression. If it's your first time trying these exercises form is key so increasing the weight too much can cause a lot of damage. I started off Squatting 20kg and Dead lifting 40kg just to make sure technique was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Just out of interest, are you male or female?

You might want to lessen the increments or you could find your progress stalling pretty quickly. I'm guessing you were still just trying to gauge a base to start from in your last session though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

When the progress stalls then he can just take a bit off and reduce the increments.

However OP, Do you intend on deadlifting every session?
    Are you planning on doing the Overhead press at all?

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Hey,

Fair play on kicking thing's off. My advice however would be to slow down on your progression. If it's your first time trying these exercises form is key so increasing the weight too much can cause a lot of damage. I started off Squatting 20kg and Dead lifting 40kg just to make sure technique was right.

Cheers mrpink, I'll take you advice on board.
    G86 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, are you male or female?
    Male, forgot to mention that!
    I'm guessing you were still just trying to gauge a base to start from in your last session though?

Hi G86, I think the first time I went I didn't really know what I was capable of, I didn't warm up on the bench press with sets properly and didn't stretch my legs at all really.
    Before I went last time I ran 1K on the treadmill and gave my legs a good stretching before the squats. I think I found doing the squats made it easier to progress also.
    On the Bench I found adding weight each set made me more confident to test myself with the next set. I'll have to try the 40k bench again as I know I was a bit wobbly on it...
    I did feel like I was going to burst with the deadlifts, but I'm confident I could do it again without wrecking myself :pac:

[QUOTE=You might want to lessen the increments or you could find your progress stalling pretty quickly.?[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I won't be incrementing the weight anywhere near that tonight. (Maybe 10k on the squats & deads and see how I get on with the bench)

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »
    When the progress stalls then he can just take a bit off and reduce the increments.

However OP, Do you intend on deadlifting every session?
    Are you planning on doing the Overhead press at all?

I had intended to deadlift every session but have decided against it.

I was going to substitute power cleans with chin/pull ups but the Overhead press looks like something I would like to do!

What do you reckon is the best alternative to powercleans??

lastlaugh wrote: »
    I had intended to deadlift every session but have decided against it.

I was going to substitute power cleans with chin/pull ups but the Overhead press looks like something I would like to do!

Frankly, there are a few and nobody can say what is best.

Do not deadlift every session. There. I said it.
    Once it gets heavy it will destroy you.;)

Chins are good. Rippetoe has published a few different versions of the Linear Progression. One of Which is:

Monday: Squat, Bench/OH Press, Chins
    Wednesday Squat, Bench/OH Press, Deadlift
    Fri: Squat, Bench/OH Press, Pullups.

With the chins/pulls done for 3 sets to failure.

You could do:
    A: Squat, bench, Chins
    B: Squat, OH Press, Deadlift

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Booooo! learn how to power clean!

Edit, just saw that it's your first time in the gym so maybe that isn't the best advice. Maybe practice power cleans with a brush handle for a while and do them with the bar once you're comfortable with the deadlift. They're not exactly rocket science.

The Dropping of the bar can be an issue in many gyms.

Do not deadlift every session. There. I said it.
    Once it gets heavy it will destroy you.;)

Well I definitely don't want to be destroyed and that's for sure!
    Chins are good. Rippetoe has published a few different versions of the Linear Progression. One of Which is:

Monday: Squat, Bench/OH Press, Chins
    Wednesday Squat, Bench/OH Press, Deadlift
    Fri: Squat, Bench/OH Press, Pullups.

With the chins/pulls done for 3 sets to failure.

You could do:
    A: Squat, bench, Chins
    B: Squat, OH Press, Deadlift

That last one sounds good, incorporating chin ups and OH press into a program with squats/Deadlifts seems to me like it would give you a real overall workout. (Not that I'm an expert or anything!) I'd say if I could do all these I'd be doing really well.
    Dead Ed wrote: »

Edit, just saw that it's your first time in the gym so maybe that isn't the best advice. Maybe practice power cleans with a brush handle for a while and do them with the bar once you're comfortable with the deadlift. They're not exactly rocket science.

This video is emblazened on my mind, so I should be able to give them a bash on Wednesday :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s

• Advertisement

That last one sounds good, incorporating chin ups and OH press into a program with squats/Deadlifts seems to me like it would give you a real overall workout. (Not that I'm an expert or anything!) I'd say if I could do all these I'd be doing really well.

I didn't do them.
    Put on a few kgs and when I finally did try them I could only get around 2.
    I'd advise you to do chins for that reason.

That and it being useful to have a strong upper back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

This video is emblazened on my mind, so I should be able to give them a bash on Wednesday :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s

Good! Prepare to become more awesome :D.

Warmed up with a 1km jog. Had to do Bench press first as Squat racks were full.

Bench Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    25k X 5 X 1
    30k X 5 X 1
    35k X 5 X 1
    40k X 5 X 1
    45k X 5 X 1 (no way I was going to do 3 sets so went back to 40k sets)
    40k X 5 X 3 (set: was difficult but kept form, better than Sat)

Squats
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 5 X 1
    40k X 5 X 1
    50k X 5 X 1
    55k X 5 X 3 (set: am a little concerned my form might not be fully correct with this. When I consiously keep my knees behind my toes when I rise I feel my hamstrings really working. I think I might be using my Quads more than I should. I think I need to follow the below vid more closer with regard to using my hips more...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

Dead Lift
    30k X 5 X 2
    50k X 2 X 1
    70k X 5 X 1 (set: disappointed I didn't have time to add more, felt easier than Sat with the 70k)

Was sweating quite a lot after this session!
    Will try power cleans, concentrate on squat form and see if I can add 5k to BP on Wed.
    Will definitely add more to deadlift on Friday.

Squats
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 5 X 1
    40k X 5 X 1
    50k X 5 X 1
    55k X 5 X 3 (set: am a little concerned my form might not be fully correct with this. When I consiously keep my knees behind my toes when I rise I feel my hamstrings really working. I think I might be using my Quads more than I should. I think I need to follow the below vid more closer with regard to using my hips more...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

On that video, be careful. While you want to use your hips you don't want to squat like that kid does by the end of that video. Its a bad video because it shows one teaching point but not the whole squat being taught. You can see the kid is loosing his back-angle (his hips move up faster than his shoulders) and that is a bad thing to do.

As for the hamstrings, you are meant to feel them working in the low bar squat.

Dead Lift
    30k X 5 X 2
    50k X 2 X 1
    70k X 5 X 1 (set: disappointed I didn't have time to add more, felt easier than Sat with the 70k)

Of course it feels easier than it did on saturday. Thats the point of linear progression, you get stronger really quickly when you start off. I can't see a point in staying at the same weight unless you are missing reps or its really hard.

Warmed up with a 1km jog. I did this with the speed at a constant 12kph, didn't have to lessen the speed like the last few times!

Squats
    30k X 5 X 1
    40k X 5 X 1
    50k X 5 X 1
    60k X 5 X 1
    65k X 5 X 3 (set: Had to really strain (and curse) to finish these, think I'm doing too many warm ups before the set)

Bench Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 5 X 1
    40k X 5 X 1
    45k X 5 X 2
    (Failed on 3rd set, absolutely no juice left in arms, had to leave bar on chest and escape from bench.:()
    40k X 5 X 3 (set: 5k is too much of a jump for me with these)

Power Cleans
    40k X 2 X 1 (Ugh :eek:. Far to heavy to start with, these really drain you're legs, and my legs felt battered after the squats)
    30k X 5 X 1 (one of the instructors helped me out with these)
    That was me done for the night, those Power Cleans had me wanting to go home!

You might want to lessen the increments or you could find your progress stalling pretty quickly.

You're right, I think I'll concentrate more on form and less on the weight. I'll just try 42.5kg Bench on the next workout.

I might drop my squat back to 60kg next and work on my form.
    Dead Ed wrote: »
    These really do feel explosive compared to the other ones.

I was a bit dissappointed having failed the bench press but it's early days yet. I'm only doing it a week but I really look forward to going for the next one. As some of you have advised already, I'll ease up on adding too much too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Warmed up with a 1km jog. I did this with the speed at a constant 12kph, didn't have to lessen the speed like the last few times!

Squats
    30k X 5 X 1
    40k X 5 X 1
    50k X 5 X 1
    60k X 5 X 1
    65k X 5 X 3 (set: Had to really strain (and curse) to finish these, think I'm doing too many warm ups before the set)

Bench Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 5 X 1
    40k X 5 X 1
    45k X 5 X 2
    (Failed on 3rd set, absolutely no juice left in arms, had to leave bar on chest and escape from bench.:()
    40k X 5 X 3 (set: 5k is too much of a jump for me with these)

Power Cleans
    40k X 2 X 1 (Ugh :eek:. Far to heavy to start with, these really drain you're legs, and my legs felt battered after the squats)
    30k X 5 X 1 (one of the instructors helped me out with these)
    That was me done for the night, those Power Cleans had me wanting to go home!

You're right, I think I'll concentrate more on form and less on the weight. I'll just try 42.5kg Bench on the next workout.

I might drop my squat back to 60kg next and work on my form.

These really do feel explosive compared to the other ones.

I was a bit dissappointed having failed the bench press but it's early days yet. I'm only doing it a week but I really look forward to going for the next one. As some of you have advised already, I'll ease up on adding too much too soon.

I think you may be pushing to hard and for to many sets on the squats.I would of done
    2x5xbar
    1x5x30
    1x3x40
    1x2x55
    3x5x65

I am just a beginner at this myself though so listen to the more experienced guys here.

You are doing way too much in the warmups for your lifts.

Dinorebel has outlined the warm up method described in the book.
    2 sets of five with just the bar (60kg on deadlifts)
    a set of 5 with a bit of weight,
    a set of 3 with a bit more
    and then a set of 2 with more again.
    Then do your 3x5 at your work weight.

Also, don't drop back to 60 and work on your form.
    That is not what I meant in the quote at all.
    Working on form can be done during warmups or resets.
    There is no point in getting really good form at light weights if its gonna go out the window at heavier weights.

You got your reps, eat, sleep and move on next workout.
    You'll do grand.

Also do the OH press, its awesome.

You are doing way too much in the warmups for your lifts.

Dinorebel has outlined the warm up method described in the book.
    2 sets of five with just the bar (60kg on deadlifts)
    a set of 5 with a bit of weight,
    a set of 3 with a bit more
    and then a set of 2 with more again.
    Then do your 3x5 at your work weight.

Also, don't drop back to 60 and work on your form.
    That is not what I meant in the quote at all.
    Working on form can be done during warmups or resets.
    There is no point in getting really good form at light weights if its gonna go out the window at heavier weights.

You got your reps, eat, sleep and move on next workout.
    You'll do grand.

Also do the OH press, its awesome.

No the OH Press is the devils exercise good for you though.

dinorebel wrote: »
    No the OH Press is the devils exercise good for you though.

It's always better to do exercises you hate! OH is very tough for me but there's no better feeling after completing a set on a heavier weight then last time.

Warmed up with usual 1km jog. Speed a constant 12.5kph, breathing a lot better on this...

Body Weight 84.7

Squats
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 5 X 1
    40k X 3 X 1
    60k X 2 X 1
    70k X 2 X 1 (NOT....TODAY...)
    65k X 5 X 1 (UGgghh)

60k X 5 X 3 (set: These felt difficult from 40k on)

Bench Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 3 X 1
    40k X 2 X 1
    42.5k X 5 X 3 (set: These went well, try 45k on Monday)

Deadlift
    40k X 5 X 1
    60k X 3 X 1
    70k X 5 X 1 (set: Was aiming for an 80k set but this went out the window when I realised how heavy 70k felt.)

Felt difficult today from early on in the squats. Might leave out the run and just stretch, thoughts?
    Form on squats better today, trying to focus on form over weight, might be why it was so difficult! All over the place Wednesday.
    Must do up a plan to christmas with realistic goals.
    Stick with 2.5k increments on Bench Press.
    Start with OH Press on Monday.

• Advertisement

Warmed up with just a .6km jog.

Squats
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 5 X 1
    40k X 3 X 1
    60k X 2 X 1
    62.5k X 5 X 3 (set: felt strong on these today, kept good form)

Bench Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 3 X 1
    40k X 2 X 1
    45k X 5 X 3 (set: glad I'm seeing some progress here)

Power Cleans
    30k X 5 X 1
    35k X 3 X 5 (set: felt OK)

OH Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    25k X 5 X 3 (set: might try 27.5k on Thursday)

Felt stronger today, really need to get a my diet in order though, weekends are particularly bad.

Missed yesterdays session which I'm a bit miffed about.

No warm ups, straight over to the Squat rack!

Squats
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 5 X 1
    40k X 3 X 1
    60k X 2 X 1
    65k X 5 X 3 (set: Went well)

Bench Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 3 X 1
    40k X 2 X 1
    45k X 1 X 1
    47.5k X 5 X 3 (set: 3rd set difficult but kept form, feel a lot stronger)

Deadlift
    40k X 5 X 1
    60k X 3 X 1
    75k X 5 X 1 (set: Felt good considering 70k was reallly tough in my 5th session)

OH Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    25k X 3 X 1
    27.5k X 5 X 3 (set: last rep was a real strain but got it:rolleyes:)

You know that you are supposed to alternate the bench and overhead press?

As d'Oracle said you really need to alternate the Press & the Bench doing both will soon put a halt to any progress.Apart from that how are you finding SS I am about 5 weeks in and am really enjoying it.

You know that you are supposed to alternate the bench and overhead press?

I know, I know... I kind of felt I should be doing something else after the other exercises. The bar was there, I couldn't resist!

I think I'll start the 'Practical Programming Novice Program' which you had mentioned before and dinorebel is doing. The more basic program seems a little too basic, I'll get bored with it sooner I think.
    dinorebel wrote: »
    As d'Oracle said you really need to alternate the Press & the Bench doing both will soon put a halt to any progress.Apart from that how are you finding SS I am about 5 weeks in and am really enjoying it.

Yeah I'm really enjoying it I have to say thanks, it's good to post up the progress and see the gains and get feedback. Finding it easier to stay off the fags and more aware of my health in general.
    I feel like I'm getting stronger and would definitely advise anyone to start doing weights! :cool:

Squats
    30k X 5
    40k X 3
    50k X 2
    60k X 1
    67.5k X 5 X 3 (set: my Quads or Hamstrings are not sore during or after squats, it feels like the (tendons?) that connect my inner thigh to my hips are taking all the strain. I'm pretty sure my form is good but it feels strange, like something would pop if there was much more weight on the bar)

Bench Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    30k X 3 X 1
    40k X 2 X 1
    45k X 1 X 1
    47.5k X 5 X 3 (set: same weight as last time, silly mistake by me, if I get the 50k next time I'll be happy)

Power Cleans
    30k X 5 X 1
    40k X 3 X 5 (set: these are a bit of craic all the same)

Warmed up with easy 1km jog @ 9kph...

Squats
    30k X 5
    40k X 3
    50k X 2
    60k X 1
    70k X 5 X 3 (set: No strange pains today! Can get to parallel 'easily enough', getting below paralllel which is what I've been doing up until now, is getting difficult though. Should I be aiming at below parallel for every rep:confused:)

OH Press
    20k X 5 X 1
    25k X 3 X 1
    30k X 5 X 3 (set: have to get better at these bad boys)

Deadlift
    40k X 5 X 1
    60k X 3 X 1
    80k X 5 X 1 (set: I was sweating lots after these but I felt they went really well, a good way to finish up, looking forward to next Deadlift day)

I have been going just below parallel myself but I had a bit of a pain yesterday in my knee so I might just stick to parallel for now. I read on a few different threads about the topic and it seems very 50/50, would be interested if anyone else has any opinion.

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    I have been going just below parallel myself but I had a bit of a pain yesterday in my knee so I might just stick to parallel for now. I read on a few different threads about the topic and it seems very 50/50, would be interested if anyone else has any opinion.

Here's a good thead I got from googling 'below parallel squat'.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=516536463#post516536463

Fair play on all the progress you've made BTW!

• Advertisement

Squats
    20k X 5
    40k X 3
    50k X 2
    70k X 1
    72.5k X 5 X 3 (set: I lack the strenght/confidence to get back up from below parallel from over 60k, can do parallel easily enough heavier, feels a bit cheaty though)

Bench Press
    20k X 5
    40k X 3
    45k X 2
    50k X 5 X 3 (set: maybe 1 or 2 wobbly rep, happy to get those yellow plates on)

Power Cleans
    30k X 5 X 1
    42.5k X 3 X 5 (set: not really jumping off the ground at all on these)

Advertisement