Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervisor

Options
  • 18-10-2010 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi All,

I'm in the second year of my postgrad at the moment. I'm currently registered for a masters but I'm suppose to upgrade at the end of this year. The thing is I'm not so sure I want to upgrade anymore and I'm looking for some advice!

I'm having a few problems with my supervisor. I feel like he doesn't care what is going on and I'm not even sure he knows I'm here most of the time. I've had a massive upheaval in my life in the last three months and I haven't been myself and I know my work has suffered (not that he noticed). So now I'm trying to get back on track and more than ever I have noticed how unhelpful he is! I went to him with 3/4 ideas, looking for a bit of guidence and I was completely blown off. He also never answers his emails and is impossible to track down.

The part that is really ringing alarm bells for me is when I look at the older people in my group. Some are here five years, have no funding left, and don't look like they're going anywhere anytime soon. And some of them have told me he can be very old fashioned and doesn't really think very much of women.

Am I better off out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Is there any way you can change supervisor? I know at least one person who has done this recently, so it is possible, but I suppose it depends on whether there is another potential supervisor and if they're willing to supervise you.

Is there anyone in the department you could talk to (administrator or postgrad co-ordinator)?

Having spoken to people who've had 'problems' with their supervisors in the past, I would recommend that, if you can't find another supervisor, to finish your masters and then look into starting a PhD, maybe at another university.
    Having a supervisor who, at best, appears disinterested is a nightmare, and will probably mean that your thesis will have to undergo major changes once it's submitted, which you don't want.

I know it is incredibly disappointing and demoralising to be in your situation, but if you can get a good masters you may have a better chance at securing funding for a PhD (with a good supervisor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Talanta

Thanks for your advice Convert :)

I know I can't change supervisor because my funding is tied to my supervisor. To be honest I don't think I even want a PhD anymore; this was always my back up plan as my original project funding fell through (and the supervisor for that would have been amazing too).

How much does someone need to complete a research masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Talanta wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice Convert :)

How much does someone need to complete a research masters?

Sorry am I picking you up wrong are you asking about word count? There should be guidelines for your particular course, mine was 40,000-60,000 I handed in 55,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

OP, unless your supervisor is Head of Department, thats who you need to go and see. If your funding is linked to your supervisor and he isn't doing his job to the point that you are considering dropping the PhD, this is very bad news for the Department and the Head will want to know. Departments are increasingly dependant on getting funding approved for pg students. A staff member so slack as to be driving them away is bad news. If there is a post-grad department go there also.

Best of luck!

Advertisement