Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPiceworks or Systemhound

Options
  • 18-10-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Guys looking to put some audit software on the network, so i can make sure all software not just the windows stuff is up to date, obviously I have wsus the network which consists of 15 client PCs and 4 servers, all windows based.

I've used systemhound in the past and at €500 it's not a huge spend, has anyone used spicepworks? how do you find it? is the information gathered stored locally on my LAN or is it uploaded to their (spiceworks) database?

I have an external audit in about 2 months time and wanted to have this all sorted and all machines fully updated by then and then have a way to proactivly monitor updates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Can't say i've heard of systemhoundor ever used it, but i have used spiceworks, and i have to say for a free product it's pretty impressive. They've just released a new version too which i'm looking at upgrading to. All information is stored locally, none gets stored online, but you always have full access to their knowledge base for help, tweaks, tips, etc. It will perform a full iniventory, has monitoring & reporting and a user helpdesk portal. To be honest, out of the box it's better than some commercial helpdesk/inventory systems i've endured before. There's also the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit, which i haven't used yet but i would say it's worth a look. I would imagine that the microsoft reports from the MAP toolkit would be better and easier to use for compiling audit documents.

Two free agentless apps that do full network inventory, you're sorted for your audit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I'm using this one !

3. Sophisticated License Management
    Version 5 provides an advanced license management, helping you to easily structure the installed software packages and to monitor your software license compliance. Users can dynamically group and consolidate several software product versions of the same license into one license type and manage license acquisitions and/or dispositions in combination with the associated documents.

I'm doing more than licence audit so i think has a good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

thanks for the answers. ~I guess if spiceworks stores locally then it'll trump systemhound simply because of the cost aspect.

Cant say I ever head of loginventory but I'll look into it thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

GFI Max is supposed to be decent as well, while not free it's supposed to be worth the small monthly fee for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    GFI Max is supposed to be decent as well, while not free it's supposed to be worth the small monthly fee for it.

Do you have any working experience with GFI Max ?
    Is it different than Logmein Console !?

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I haven't worked with it personally but have had people recommend it to me. I'm tempted to get it for my home network for a month just to test it out.

I probably have the pdf I was sent by their sales person if you want me to email it to you.

Advertisement