Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cable Broadband

• 18-10-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey guys

I actually feel a bit stupid asking this question as I'm sure its been asked a hundred times before (I've tried to search but cant see it).

Does the router that UPC send you as part of the self-installation for new BB connections just connect into your Sky Box? I dont have UPC digital TV so am getting the surcharge of €7.75 a month, but its unclear from the UPC website (plus most pages seem to be out of action!) how the router works. I assume it doesn't go near your phone line so does it just plug into your sky box.

Do Sky and UPC use the same fibre powered lines to send their TV pictures?

Sorry about the stupid question in advance!

Any help is greatly appreciated though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Sky uses Satellite as the transmission medium.
    UPC uses Cable.

The router has the Modem built into it and the UPC cable goes into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Bodan

Unless you have UPC TV or a left over UPC connection, I don't see how you can do a self install with their broadband. There needs to be a cable socket somewhere in your house connected up the the UPC network.

If you don't have one, they will have to send a installer around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Bodan wrote: »
    If you don't have one, they will have to send a installer around.

yup if you dont have a UPC box already in your house they will have to install one. It's free though and doesnt take long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Was actually looking for the answer to this myself!

Their website is pretty shady when it comes to giving you the answer. They mention a small reduction in your monthly bill if you do self-install. How much was this does anyone know?

Advertisement