Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History MA Grading

Options
  • 18-10-2010 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Could anybody tell me the way that the Masters in History are graded? I just got my provisional results and was v happy with them but am wondering if my results will be enough to get me a 1st or is there much of a chance I could be graded down in my final results?? I got all B's in my course modules and a B - in the thesis. I'm afraid continuous assessment could drag me down as I would not be one of the more vocal people in the class...

Appreciate any comments...

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Each masters' course is usually broken down into a nuber of categories which form different parts of the overall grade. Something along the lines of 50% for your thesis, 20% for essays submitted during the year and 30% for a seminar presentation. You should check the history website (www.ucd.ie/historyarchives) or call into the school and ask them if they could tell you how the results are weighted for your course. Your overall grade will depend mostly on this breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Is your final GPA on SIS? It is really unlikely it will change in the final results. You can tell the weight for each module and your thesis by how many credits are awarded to each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

All B's and a B- will not get you a first. Dont want to dampen your hopes but you are way off it. I got 3.64 which is 0.04 off a first but when you look at it again its actually about 4 grades off a first so its close but not too close if you get me. I imagine with your thesis b- and B average in modules your gpa will be in around 3.4-3.5 so you are a good bit off it. Its still a very good result though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Off the top of my head you'd probably need to get your thesis moved from a B- to a flat A to get a first, assuming your thesis is 50%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

The thesis is 60% of overall mark. I got one A and B's in everything else including thesis. Would be happy enough with a 2:1 just got a bit carried away I suppose cos I did not expect such a high mark for the thesis at all. Thanks for the replies...

• Advertisement
Advertisement