Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay or Go??

Options
  • 18-10-2010 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Ok the company i work for is going downhill and its only a matter of time before they close up. On hold with numerous suppliers, smaller sales and big debts too. The boss tells us nothing tho so we're basically working on a week to week basis in my eyes.

As im working here about 7 years and entitled to approx 10k redundancy(i hope as i've been on a 3 day week for 13 months now) should i find a new job or stick it out til the death to get my redundancy. Half the staff have been let go in the last year and its only a small company so im cracking up with boredom.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Depends on job satisfaction / your own personal circumstance (family, kids etc) Also weigh up the option is it worth hanging on for the redudancy and is 10K or so guaranteed or would you more than likely get less.

Have you started job searching yet? some times its more up beat and better for your self worth to just ditch it and move on. It can be satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

listermint wrote: »
    Depends on job satisfaction / your own personal circumstance (family, kids etc) Also weigh up the option is it worth hanging on for the redudancy and is 10K or so guaranteed or would you more than likely get less.

Have you started job searching yet? some times its more up beat and better for your self worth to just ditch it and move on. It can be satisfying.

The 10k would have to paid by the government as when others were let go during the year the company didnt have the money to pay their redundancy.

Have no kids and have had to move back home since my days were cut. Have small savings tho of approx 7k so can afford to be out of work for a while so am i better off waiting to be made redundant?

Its actually depressing just waiting for it to close in that i cant book any holidays/buy a car/get a mortgage etc etc as i just have no idea when im going to be told were closing up.

But 10k is still alot of cash to walk away from and having worked for so long i feel im entitled to something :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In the scheme of things... is 10K worth the nonense. you say yourself that you are not sure if / when they will shut up shop. so you could be sitting on your tod for a while.

If i was in the position. Id be out looking for something else. contrary to popular believe there are jobs out there. And at in the end it you can started with your life again rather than going into misery in the office everyday.

But its your decision so weigh up all the options..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If I were you I'd certainly start looking for something else. I wouldn't take any kind of job, but if one came along that I wanted, that looks good and secure (as much as any job is secure these days) and fits in nicely with my career path, I'd certainly go for it. You never know ...it might just happen.

And if nothing pops up you can still hope for the redundancy and take it from there then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Will do up the cv this week so and start looking as i actually think were a week or 2 from closing down :mad: Cheers for the advice guys :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement