Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish download speeds up 87pc

• 18-10-2010 3:54pm
    Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

I don't normally post on these things but I was taken aback by how much of an improvement in analysis this report represented.

Previous reports really were disappointing with mentions of headline grabbing "worse than Mongolia/Swaziland" etc.

http://siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/18365-irish-download-speeds-up/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's mostly UPC upgrades

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Well a lot has happened since 2008.

Speeds offered by almost all providers has increased countrywide.

When I started with Magnet back in November 2007 the norm was 1-2Mb connections with speeds of up to 6Mb-10Mb being reserved for either very high paying customers or businesses.

Despite all the doom and gloom lately it has to be said that there has been a significant move forward by almost all players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Quite right. In 2008 I could only get 2mbit. Considering I got a 1mbit connection in 1998 in Denmark, I felt that was a bit behind the times :). But in only just about 3 years the speeds have exploded and I currently enjoy 30mbit which is definitely on par with most offerings around, except a few lucky places on the continent with up to 1gbit fiber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

noxqs wrote: »
    Quite right. In 2008 I could only get 2mbit. Considering I got a 1mbit connection in 1998 in Denmark, I felt that was a bit behind the times :). But in only just about 3 years the speeds have exploded and I currently enjoy 30mbit which is definitely on par with most offerings around, except a few lucky places on the continent with up to 1gbit fiber.

Only in Dublin and a few other selected urban areas, not a lot of use to the vast majority of the Irish countryside.

By comparison :

http://irelandoffline.org/2010/10/international-broadband-quality-survey-again-blasts-dublin/

Highest line rental on the planet
    Lowest investment in telecoms by % of GDP
    Ireland only meets the connected city of today not the future

Not a lot to celebrate there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

When I started with Magnet back in November 2007 the norm was 1-2Mb connections with speeds of up to 6Mb-10Mb being reserved for either very high paying customers or businesses.

But the really big jumps are to be seen where UPC have just rolled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Last i checked i was on 3072Kbps in 2008

Im still on 3072Kbps, infact sometimes im on 29xxKbps; therefore i seemed to have gone backwards slightly.

Indeeds its a great PR stint and everyone in PR is probably circlejerking at the moment, but me as a consumer is still stuck on 3mb and have no prospect of getting above that unless i switch to Wireless (WiMax non imagine in the area) or UPC extend into the area from neighbouring town in wicklow.... or i build a communications infrastructure like dungarvan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Eamon Ryan wrote:
    “This improvement”, said Minister for Communications Eamon Ryan TD, “is a reflection of the Government’s progressive broadband policy, which encourages collaboration as well as competition. In the last two years, Ireland has seen a spike in broadband improvement, bringing to an end the legacy of under investment of the early 2000s.

Did anyone else piss themselves laughing at that? I don't know if he actually believes himself when he says this, or whether he himself had to hold back the fits of laughter when making this statement.

When did eircom's top speed change from 3Mbps to 7/7.6Mbps? I thought that was around 2007, or maybe 2008. That would also explain the boost since 2008, eircom simply maxed out what ADSL is capable of. The UPC upgrades and rollout will definitely account for a lot of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Approximately 3Mbps is average for ADSL exchanges (8Mbps spitting distance from exchange) and 7Mbps is average for ADSL2+ (24Mbps next door to exchange).

Almost all the improvement in last year is on UPC.

A tiny percent of DSL are on Digweb/Smart, Magnet and BT Business LLU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

What's the point in speed increases when they clamp down on your download allowance :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

well that you can get things quicker. but i agree. limits are pointless.. im using 50Gb per month easily on a 1mb/s line. and there is that limit on most of eircoms packages anyway.
    i mean 3mb/s has 30Gb limit. so that would also be completely pointless for me.
    bye bye eircom at last i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jor el wrote: »
    Did anyone else piss themselves laughing at that? I don't know if he actually believes himself when he says this, or whether he himself had to hold back the fits of laughter when making this statement.
    Bozo the Minister's PR gurus released another hilarious piece:

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Ireland+in+top+EU+countries+for+broadband+progress.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Thanks to UPC, were it not for UPC we'd be on par with several third world countries. I live in Mullingar and the fastest internet connection I can get is 3mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

thanks to eircom my speed has recently dropped from 5mb to 4mb.

total joke. bit of a monopoly where i am, eircom is the only runner for real stable broadband.. the rest of the resellers that resell eircom, are not that cheaper, and seem to have issues.

:mad: is a complete joke, broadband in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

"The upcoming Rural Broadband Scheme will target the remaining 12,000 or so premises"
    from bealtines post,

what is this about? anyone have any details?
    i live in north meath, no dsl, no fixed wireless and no nbs, and oh yeah - hsdpa signal so weak that i was released from contract.
    can i assume they have some plan to get me connected or is it just some more oirish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

poor old "Magnet: Rory".

he posts some good news about BB speeds increasing in Ireland and all anyone can do is credit it to UPC and rub his face in it! :eek:

you might as well give him a nice papercut and pour lemon juice on it! :D

to be fair tho, it pretty much was all down to UPC. :p

Advertisement