Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Water or Sandy Sea Bay

• 18-10-2010 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi all:

Whats your opinion on this?

I normally fish simply enough, rock ledge spinning, into deep water. Sand eel or green fish. Normally getting good size pollack if conditions right.

However the trip to deep water is 30 miles return.

However I have a sandy beach/sea bay a few minutes away from my door, but I just dont know what way I should be fishing it, or what to fish for.

Any opinion and advice with gear etc? I think I should start bait fishing in the bay, but havent a good idea of what gear/tackle to use?

Any brief ideas folks? Am I bonkers travelling 30 miles when I can walk to the beach?

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Any opinion and advice with gear etc? I think I should start bait fishing in the bay, but havent a good idea of what gear/tackle to use?

Any brief ideas folks? Am I bonkers travelling 30 miles when I can walk to the beach?

Yes and No! Two different types of fishing - different techniques, baits and species to be caught.

I assume you have a decent spinning rod for the rocks? That should do you in the short term. No point in investing in new gear if you end up not liking the beach scene.

Do you see others fishing the spot? Beaches can be good for bass and flatties in the summer and cod and whiting in the winter. But I suppose everywhere is different.

Anyway from my limited knowledge of beach fishing try to get yourself some fresh bait (lugworm, ragworm, crab) and fish the incoming tide. See how you get on. You might need to experiment to find the best time/conditions if you cant ask any local regular anglers but a flooding tide usually the best.

Sorry Im rushing this post so its prob all over the place. let us know if you've anymore info/ questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Hi Seafields,

Thanks for message. That sound about right.

I see folk fishing there, but rarely see a catch,.

I guess we would be looking at bass, but i have never tried winter fishing.

Safe enough from the beach, but perilous from the deep water rock ledges, just not worth it. and 30 miles round trip, and sometimes when I get there the wind conditions have changed, unfishable...

I think i shall invest in a good beach caster and multiplier and go bait fishing and see what the story is over the winter.

What gear would you think, tackle wise? Im awful with knots and hooks and things, im really a spinner and blood knot man....any tips on that appreciated.

many thanks...
    SeaFields wrote: »
    Yes and No! Two different types of fishing - different techniques, baits and species to be caught.

I assume you have a decent spinning rod for the rocks? That should do you in the short term. No point in investing in new gear if you end up not liking the beach scene.

Do you see others fishing the spot? Beaches can be good for bass and flatties in the summer and cod and whiting in the winter. But I suppose everywhere is different.

Anyway from my limited knowledge of beach fishing try to get yourself some fresh bait (lugworm, ragworm, crab) and fish the incoming tide. See how you get on. You might need to experiment to find the best time/conditions if you cant ask any local regular anglers but a flooding tide usually the best.

Sorry Im rushing this post so its prob all over the place. let us know if you've anymore info/ questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

from the beach, you can try for bass, flatfish, codling, whiting or even a few doggies. Suppose just depends on the area.

Suppose the big difference aswell compared to rock/spinning, is that you would be using grip leads (4-6oz's) to hold the bait in place.

This is a good page for knots,
    http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I use the allbright knot for the shockleader, and something like trilene/uni for the swivels,hooks.

If you haven't tried mutliplier's before they can take a bit of getting used to.

Bait you can use, lugworm,crab,mackerel,razor.

enjoy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

syboit wrote: »
    If you haven't tried mutliplier's before they can take a bit of getting used to.

Have to echo this. I bought one. Broke my heart trying to cast it - just couldn't make the transition. Didn't matter as distance isn't a prerequisite at most of my regular venues. Save money on the multiplier and get a tripod and gripleads (expensive little b@stards!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Thats totally spot on!

When I catch my first on the beach I'll give you a shout...might be 2011 though! ha ha! thanks again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

SeaFields wrote: »
    Have to echo this. I bought one. Broke my heart trying to cast it - just couldn't make the transition. Didn't matter as distance isn't a prerequisite at most of my regular venues. Save money on the multiplier and get a tripod and gripleads (expensive little b@stards!).

oh yeah, tripod is another handy bit of kit for the beach, or even rocks/piers. You can also get cheaper "spikes" , but only good on the beach.

yeah, leads/gripleads, they all add up. should really look at getting a mould and try to make my own.

Advertisement