Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wee Gordon Sacked (or about to be..)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Thank Christ we have new owners

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Thank Christ we have new owners
    yeah but are we in the market for a new manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Frees him up to take the Liverpool job now

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    yeah but are we in the market for a new manager?

We better be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Frees him up to take the Liverpool job now

Good lord.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

twitter

Boro announcement 5pm - Steve Gibson run out of patience with Gordon Strachan? Wouldn't be a surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

New Scotland manager perhaps? They dont have a qualifier again til next Sept, which is truly bizarre.

SSN reporting they have heard that strachen is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hodgson or Strachan? Actually a tough call.

• Advertisement

Tony mowbray favourite to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Thrill wrote: »
    Tony mowbray favourite to replace him.

Another clear out so. The team is currently half full of his Celtic rejects!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Southgate should never have been sacked last year.

Good Riddance, awful manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Southgate should never have been appointed!!

Steve Gibson is on BBC Radio Tees from 6.05. Expected to fully confirm that Strachan is gone. Should be a good interview.

Official site statement.........

http://www.mfc.co.uk/articles/20101018/gordon-strachan-leaves-boro_70638_2188710
    Gordon Strachan Leaves Boro

MIDDLESBROUGH Football Club has confirmed that manager Gordon Strachan has today left the club by mutual consent.
    The change has been made with Boro in a disappointing 20th position 11 games into the npower Championship season.
    Chairman Steve Gibson said: "Gordon is a man of great integrity. He has torn up his contract and walked away without compensation because he felt it was in the best interests of this football club.
    "There are very few managers who have ever done that but that is the mark of the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Mowbray wont be much better after the job he did with celtic.

Fair play to Strachan, outstanding gesture from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Great gesture by Gordon to waive compensation, can not see too many managers following that lead. I wonder if a certain other manager would waive compensation after the disappointing start he has had to the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I love Strachan.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I was delighted we hired him in the first place but just never got the team to play the way he wanted them to. Fair play to him for leaving without compo. Hope Mowbray can lift us now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

mikeym wrote: »
    Mowbray wont be much better after the job he did with celtic.

Mowbray has proved to be a good manager for the Championship. The pressure of the Celtic job got to him.

If Middlesbrough want a man to clear out SPL dross then Tony is the man.

No surprise Strachan ramsacked that club, was very poor at Celtic, even though he won 3 titles some of the football he had Celtic playing would burn the eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can't see anybody past Mowbray getting the job imo.

Alan Pardew or Alan Curbishley would be a good appointment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would have thought Martin O Neill would be a dead cert for this one no?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

glenjamin wrote: »
    Hope Mowbray can lift us now.

Seriously, don't get your hopes up. Mowbray at the helm of Celtic was utterly depressing, even moreso than Strachan's last season there. I don't think he's cut out for it at all tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Great gesture by Gordon to waive compensation, can not see too many managers following that lead. I wonder if a certain other manager would waive compensation after the disappointing start he has had to the season.
    Why would you expect him to?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

gimmick wrote: »
    I would have thought Martin O Neill would be a dead cert for this one no?

Surely he would be holding out for something bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ There is certainly that and you are probably right. But Middlesborough seems to be his type of club. Limited in what he can spend, bring them up and re establish themselves in the Premier.

But what other job is there out there at the moment, or possibly arising? I cannot see him taking the Liverpool job if that comes free and no one else is in that much trouble at a bigger club.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ There is certainly that and you are probably right. But Middlesborough seems to be his type of club. Limited in what he can spend, bring them up and re establish themselves in the Premier.

But what other job is there out there at the moment, or possibly arising? I cannot see him taking the Liverpool job if that comes free and no one else is in that much trouble at a bigger club.

The reason he left Villa was because he hadn't enough to spend. I think Liverpool would be more likely, if the next three or four games dont go Hodgsons way he could be in trouble. Boro seems like too much of a step down.
    But your right in that there doesn't seem to be many jobs arising at the moment. Still cant see him taking Boro though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Sizzler wrote: »

Did a decent job at Celtic

He was absolutely awful at Celtic - dire in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

wee gord was always gonna go, not good enough unfortunately and some of his press conferences have been bizarre. the smartassness was beginning to grate i reckon

and mowbray didnt do well with celtic, but he did with hibs and WBA.
    would be a good choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I don't think anyone would want the title of favorites in the championship, tough tough league.
    At least he had the decency to just walk away, there's not a lot of integrity left in the game so it's always nice to see a bit of it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Strachan is a great man. Such an honourable chap to tear up the contract and not look for compensation.

I don't know whats gone wrong for him. I really thought he was going to be a top manager after what he did at Southampton in the early part of 00s. I'll always like the guy for the way he takes the p1ss out of reporters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

He was absolutely awful at Celtic - dire in fact.

yep. filled the squad with reject average footballers. did similar with boro. the guy is a smarmy arrogant ..... ah well, unlucky gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Love this sketch. Sums him up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n41R8C3IC3M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Love this sketch. Sums him up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n41R8C3IC3M

Yeah, excellent impersonation.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

yep. filled the squad with reject average footballers. did similar with boro. the guy is a smarmy arrogant ..... ah well, unlucky gordon.

he was talking about mowbray

he won 3 leagues in a row with celtic, as well as a cup and 2 league cups, 6 trophies in 3 years, a better record than MON had and did it without the prolific larsson

he did a very good job at celtic

Advertisement