Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Me So Harney

• 18-10-2010 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

So what does eveyone think of Mary Harney's decision to open a new hospital beside the matter hospital in centre of Dublin ?

This hospital is a childrens hospital and will be 4 different hospitals rolled into 1 to cover the whole country?

Wouldn't it make more sense to put it in Westmeath, accessible by all counties??

She has actually fired somone because he said she made the wrong decision. I think she fired him because he interrupted her during her mcdonalds breaktime.

I almost have this forsight that the only reason she is pushing so hard for the location of the hospital is because she knows FF will be out very very soon and wants her legacy to be a hospital and not her body weight.

She also argues that the main reason for placing the hospital in this location is due to the fact that the new metro will run under the hospital.

So I am thinking great. ( although I don't have kids ) if one of them gets hurt instead of rushing in my car or call an ambulance I will just jump on the LUAS or Metro with my sick child and on we go - extreme sarcasm here.

Honestly,..... who is sick, would want to travel via train to a hospital.
    It just boggles the mind is all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

What was wrong with the Tallaght location??
    :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

would want to travel via train to a hospital.
    It just boggles the mind is all
    Trainee doctors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Why is this woman in a cabinet position? Does her party even exist anymore? Every couple of months a new scandal comes out of her department!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

All roads lead to Dublin............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

So a new hospital is being built in the middle of the most densely populated part of the country, where it'll be most needed. What's the problem? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

''She has actually fired somone because he said she made the wrong decision.''

This is why the civil service got so **** in the first place, fúcking thick TD's firing people for having an opinion so we ended up with a bunch of unqualified yesmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So a new hospital is being built in the middle of the most densely populated part of the country, where it'll be most needed. What's the problem? :confused:

Transport links , parking, access... where does one start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Teutorix wrote: »
    ''She has actually fired somone because he said she made the wrong decision.''

This is why the civil service got so **** in the first place, fúcking thick TD's firing people for having an opinion so we ended up with a bunch of unqualified yesmen.

I'll have you know civil servants are extremely well qualified yesmen. workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

The infrastructure can't support it and there's no room for expansion. Plus you face accusations of ignoring the people outside dublin.

Edit: while I think of it, land in dublin is presumably much more expensive than buying land outside on one of the main road arteries so that people goild just travel through the M50and out to wherever the hospital was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

Says the person that lives next to the Matter?

You know the reason. It is not accessible to the rest of Ireland
    It will bring in more traffic to the city centre
    not a good "centralised location" for the rest to visit easily
    parking space
    hospital expansion for the future etc etc...

shouldn't be in Dublin basically

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Excellent thread title.

As for the Mater as a location? Sure, it's not like there's any traffic issues in that part of Dublin or accesibility issues in general with the location. To hell with the boggers....why don't they get their own hospitals.
    The authorities managed to let Ikea build on the M50 for traffic issues, even helping to build a slip road for all that traffic...but a national children's hospital should be placed in one of the most built up areas in the country?
    Someone making money somewhere on the back of this planning decision, just like always...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Mary Harney's decision to make more sense because she knows FF will be out very very soon and wants her legacy to be a hospital and not her body weight.

Well she is a sparkling example of health now aint she...

Says the person that lives next to the Matter?

I don't live next to or anywhere near the Mater.
    It is not accessible to the rest of Ireland

Everywhere is accessible to the rest of Ireland. The country is less then 300 miles long, for fcuks sake. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Wouldn't the 400million that we apparently have for this (never mind the 200million that we don't) be better off put into fixing up the hospitals we already have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Wouldn't it make more sense to put it in Westmeath, accessible by all counties??

Tbh if they put it in Westmeath most people would have to go through Dublin to to get to it if they were taking a bus/train.

I don't think it's in the right location but I think somewhere else in Dublin would be better than Westmeath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Haven't read too much into the justifications for choosing the site but they'd need to be pretty bullet proof reasons for putting a new kids hospital on that site. Access is terrible at the best of times. Just one road traffic accident anywhere within a few miles and dorset street / ncr / eccles street become car parks. They're car parks anyway at peak times. Wouldn't fancy travelling up from the country to it, the last few miles would be the longest part of the trip. Maybe they plan to divert the ambulances to the new metro stations and throw the kids on the train to deliver them to the hospital. I suppose the new incinerator site was taken so this was only the second worst location in the country.

I think something like 13 out of 15 case studies were co-locations like this. Not sure how many of them were on similar city centre sites though. The car park will make a fortune anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think she fired him because he interrupted her during her mcdonalds breaktime.

McDonalds? Christ no! The portions there aren't big enough for our Mary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

OP, do you have one of those t shirts as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Ask a friendly Corkman, Kerryman or even a Donegal man! Traffic jams and the like migh be an impediment to the chap from Listowel who doesn't know his waqy around Eccles Street looking for parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Build new hospital

Where to put new hospital?

I know, beside an existing hospital in the middle of a city rather than in an area where medical care isnt being provided to sufficient levels and is more accessible to the entire country.

HERP DERP

I R SMRTZ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Teutorix wrote: »
    TDs can't fire civil servants for having a different opinion, they are protected. So protected that they can write themselves a whopping six figure pension and nobody can do anything about it. She probably fired one of her expensive consultants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

OP, do you have one of those t shirts as well?

it's where I got my title inspiration from

bette wrote: »
    Ask a friendly Corkman, Kerryman or even a Donegal man! Traffic jams and the like migh be an impediment to the chap from Listowel who doesn't know his waqy around Eccles Street looking for parking.

So what would you suggest? Send tens of thousands of families from all over the country driving round the back arse of ballygobackwards?

This thread is just another excuse for boggers to enjoy making out they're hard done by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tallaght would have been a far better location. Densely populated, but with direct transport links to the rest of the country. Anyone coming up on de train would have direct access via Luas. The M50 and ORR mean that you can get there from anywhere without having to battle city centre traffic.

Notwithstanding that Dublin is the capital and most densely populated area in the country, 75% of the children attending this hospital will not be coming from Dublin. So it makes no sense to stick it slap bang in the middle of the city.

Advertisement